SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Picking the right tyre for the track.

We need to seek the wisdom of Hart Bin Tholomew for the answer to this question.

Hopefully, His Grace in Rubber Knowledgeship would expound some of venerable knowledge to share with humble serfs like us.

Dey!! Tambi Chindian!!! Vat say you dah?????

Amah Vah!

Hahahah, you make me out to be a priest or what!???

Anyway, I think that 3 laps of warm up should just about do it. I say 3 laps as that would be long enough for the tyre to heat up all the way through. Take not that I am referring to a totally cold tyre when I say this. As for tyres that have just stood in the pit for a while, one lap would probably do.

Recently at the MSS, I was one of the only people without tyre warmers, and so was dang desperate to get some heat in the brand new tyres. I rode the fastest sighting lap in my life! If the race had been based on the sighting lap, I would have won!!!! HAHAHAHHAHA!!!

That surprised me because the brand new tyre gripped from the 4th corner onwards, allowing big throttle on the exits already!

I guess the best rule to follow would be to GRADUALLY increase speed and lean through every corner until YOU are confident that the tyres are warm and scrubbed. Everyone rides different and feel different things.

Just make sure you try your best to CONTINUOUSLY FEEL for the grip instead of riding in blind faith all the time, or once you THINK your tyres are warmed.

Cheers Yo!

Hartholomew Mamola

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

For riders, by riders, NOT SOME GREEDY F*CK OUT TO MAKE A BUCK

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/image.php?u=23316&dateline=1271137474&type=profile

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have any of u guys noticed F1 warming up tyres....they move like snakes. at the point it turns they go on the gas which exerts more pressure on the tyre causing it to hit up fast. a bit like pylon slalom during TP bike test.

in the recent F1, i remember the pit crew telling one the drivers that his tyre temp aint enough and immediately the driver slithered a few more time1

Don't just break your laptimes, SHATTER them!!

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein, a German born theoretical physicist widely known as one of the greatest of all time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently at the MSS, I was one of the only people without tyre warmers, and so was dang desperate to get some heat in the brand new tyres.

Hartholomew Mamola

Hmmm.. Objection!!!!

Im one of the Kiasu rider who use tyre warmer.. :cheeky:

Reason is im using 2005 Metzeler Racetec.. :giddy:

Then i kepo-kepo walk arnd pits and noticed onli 1/3 of the superbike field use tyre warmer.. 2/3 never use lei.. :giddy:

http://photos-519.friendster.com/e1/photos/91/53/29333519/29650247456167l.jpg

u r a true champion. with 05 tyre, still can fly.

i think the reason why most dun use is because, the warmers dun come cheap

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein, a German born theoretical physicist widely known as one of the greatest of all time

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,hope someone can help me ans this..how does the bridgestone 090 tyres perform on track?I am thinking of changing to a pair of michelins but i still have a lot of rubber left on my current 090 and it'd be a waste if i changed it.so before i head to track on my 090 i hope someone can tell me bout their own experience using these tyres on track.thanks and cheers.

'He who is afraid to take risks will accomplish nothing in life'

-muhammad ali

www.facebook.com/ivan.mccall

Hi guys,hope someone can help me ans this..how does the bridgestone 090 tyres perform on track?I am thinking of changing to a pair of michelins but i still have a lot of rubber left on my current 090 and it'd be a waste if i changed it.so before i head to track on my 090 i hope someone can tell me bout their own experience using these tyres on track.thanks and cheers.

Hey Ivan,

I had the same tyres on my spec 3 S**er Four. Suit the bike really well, I am guessing that you are riding a 400?

Anyway, they should be fine for the track but be wary:

These are tyres meant mainly for the street and are vulnerbale to overheating on the track due to the constant high temps... so feel for the "squidginess"... when it gets overheated. When you feel that, BACK OFF.

The michelins are being used by the Motard guys for track use and are probably much more resistant to overheating than your 090s.

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

For riders, by riders, NOT SOME GREEDY F*CK OUT TO MAKE A BUCK

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/image.php?u=23316&dateline=1271137474&type=profile

BT090 is ok for track use. but even when u set it to only 30 psi, like what hartho meow meow said, it over heats at about 20 mins of use(time varies with aggressive style of riding).

GPR70 was a good option, but now become/becoming obsolete.

DOT race tyres for 400 u can get are Michelin Power Race, Metzler Rennsport(look for year), not sure of pirelli dragon supercorsa.

plenty of grip.

when i used gpr70, my tyre pressure was 26 front and 25 rear.

BT090 is ok for track use. but even when u set it to only 30 psi, like what hartho meow meow said, it over heats at about 20 mins of use(time varies with aggressive style of riding).

GPR70 was a good option, but now become/becoming obsolete.

DOT race tyres for 400 u can get are Michelin Power Race, Metzler Rennsport(look for year), not sure of pirelli dragon supercorsa.

plenty of grip.

when i used gpr70, my tyre pressure was 26 front and 25 rear.

Do you know what tyre model replaced gpr70?

Do you know what tyre model replaced gpr70?

GPR Alpha-10.

Check out the link from Australia.

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/TyreBrowseAction.do?website=DUN&websegment1=MOTORCYCLE&websegment2=3

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48008&d=1198993193

flowers: 1979-2007 (Gilera Runner, Honda Varadero, Ducati 999, Yamaha 05 R6)

#48 Shoya Tomizawa: 05 Sep 10

LollyPop: 1983-2011

#58 Marco Simoncelli, 20 January 1987 - 23 October 2011 Sepang GP

even IRC also can go.....what happens in the track, not too sure

so how will M3 fare on the track. cos im using m3 don wanto change tyre just to go track.

The Metzeler M3 should be good for your S4 on track.. However, u will need to set your pressure correctly.. Hmmm.. i shall set it at 26psi both front and rear when completely cold.. Have Fun.. :thumb:

http://photos-519.friendster.com/e1/photos/91/53/29333519/29650247456167l.jpg

The Metzeler M3 should be good for your S4 on track.. However, u will need to set your pressure correctly.. Hmmm.. i shall set it at 26psi both front and rear when completely cold.. Have Fun.. :thumb:

front rear same pressure? by the time it warms up its either the front too full or rear not enough right??

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

front rear same pressure? by the time it warms up its either the front too full or rear not enough right??

Bro, in track riding the rear will generate more heat then the rear thus the rear pressure will increase more than the front.. As Doctor Dol recomended your S4 shud be fine so dat when u tyres are warmed up properly, ur rear will have 3-4psi more than the front for easy turning especially on a naked bike. And for the record the M3 is the best tyre for S4.

:bouncefire:

Bro, in track riding the rear will generate more heat then the rear thus the rear pressure will increase more than the front.. As Doctor Dol recomended your S4 shud be fine so dat when u tyres are warmed up properly, ur rear will have 3-4psi more than the front for easy turning especially on a naked bike. And for the record the M3 is the best tyre for S4.

thanks for the info...1st time someone told me M3 is best tyre for s4! :thumb: only no confidence in the wet.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it ok if i put a 150/60 rear tire on a rim that's only 3.5 inch? any adverse effect if i bring onto track? normally the recommended size is 140/60...but i'm stuck with only a few tires to choose from with this size...and i have been using GPR70 (which is discontinued) and have to change very often because the tire wears rather fast....feel like trying pilot power for my motard but the smallest is only 150/60. Any recommendation is highly appreciated! :thumb:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/marzocchi84/la_LM6F3528.jpg

Supermoto Is Not A CRIME .

is it ok if i put a 150/60 rear tire on a rim that's only 3.5 inch? any adverse effect if i bring onto track? normally the recommended size is 140/60...but i'm stuck with only a few tires to choose from with this size...and i have been using GPR70 (which is discontinued) and have to change very often because the tire wears rather fast....feel like trying pilot power for my motard but the smallest is only 150/60. Any recommendation is highly appreciated! :thumb:

Am using 150/60. Never went back to 140.

But then again.. the DRZ's stock rear rim is 4.5 inches. Is your rear rim not stock standard?

And ya, Pilot Powers is the way to go.

Afternote: Hmmm I just looked at your siggy. Your rear wheel really look smaller than normal.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

yeah..using xr250sm stock rims...front is 3" and rear is 3.5"....i have been using GPR70 ever since i convert to motard. GPR70 is very good for track....i can really play confidently using this tyre...but the wear rate is killing me....the rear only can last me roughly 8000km with 4-5 track sessions...need something that can last longer but also able to play on track. I know pilot power does a good job because it's dual compound...the centre is harder compound and hence can last longer. But is it ok to fit 150/60 on 3.5' rim? anyone has similar experience?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/marzocchi84/la_LM6F3528.jpg

Supermoto Is Not A CRIME .

yeah..using xr250sm stock rims...front is 3" and rear is 3.5"....i have been using GPR70 ever since i convert to motard. GPR70 is very good for track....i can really play confidently using this tyre...but the wear rate is killing me....the rear only can last me roughly 8000km with 4-5 track sessions...need something that can last longer but also able to play on track. I know pilot power does a good job because it's dual compound...the centre is harder compound and hence can last longer. But is it ok to fit 150/60 on 3.5' rim? anyone has similar experience?

The Pilot Power I am talking about is not the dual compound.The dual compound is the Pilot Power Race, just to clarify.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports