SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Group] SBF DUCATI Monster

Guest Azman79

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

psychex

I can't realy say which parts spoil esily. I've only owned my bike for close to 1 year. Many minor things have happened but so far, I've only replaced the speedo drive hub, speedo cable and fork seals. The other things that I've changed are just normal stuff like chain, sprocket, plugs, tyres, etc. BTW my bike is a "FV" plate so it's considered quite "new" in the Monsters category and the guy that sold it to me maintained the bike very well. These could be the reasons why the bike is not giving me much problems.

arjen

Thanks for the pictures. I didn't know we have chromed Monsters in Singapore. Looks like a M900. I've only seen such things overseas, on the Internet. Where did you spot it??

Pro Dero

Everyday when you get home, just ride the bike around the neighbourhood for 20mins loh? Or at the very least around the car park. We can't ride your bike unless you add us into your sub-rider list : )

tabako

If you need pricing of ORIGINAL Ducati parts, you can call Minerva Showroom at 6298-4777 and look for Ismail. Be prepared to tell him the model and year of manufacture of your bike. If you want to find second-hand parts, you can try our own forum or go to Kallang Cycle and look for Michael. You can order it from the Internet too, if you are familiar with the procedures.

c26492.jpg

Hi folks,

Got my Monster a few weeks ago :bounce:

LOVE IT!!!

Is it normal idling speed goes up when the engine runs hot ? (just below 2000 rpm ?, after abt 50 minutes riding )

it's an M400.

Where do you guys take you monsters for a cleaning job ?

Any good recomendations ? pref. nearby Toa Payoh ?

thanks.

Cheers,

B.

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space!

Beezleblub

Feeling shiok right?? Hehe. Take good care of the Monster ok. Let's change the mis-conception about Monsters being lousy, hard to maintain, always break down, etc. But I admit that some things on the bike are very costly.

Let's all do our part by keeping our bikes in good shape diligently before blaming the bike : )

For cleaning job, other riders have recommended "Magic Clean" and "Easy-Off-Bang". I've just bought a bottle of "Easy-Off-Bang Degreaser" but have yet to try it. I am not sure if it will "eat" into rubber or plastic or painted, glossy surfaces and worse - expensive carbon fiber parts. If you want to try it, make sure to try it on other things before you actually spray it on your bike. I've tried some sort of chemical solution before from a bikeshop. The chemical works dam well BUT it turned my glossy engine area into matte finish (I don't really mind). But it's really dam clean.

Your idling speed seems to be quite high. The idling speed for my M400 is around 500rpm during startup and around 1000rpm after normal riding. Don't you find the engine very noisy and hot when you stop at traffic lights if your idling speed is close to 2000rpm?? I experienced it before and I couldn't take it so I adjusted it lower.

tabako

It is possible to get parts from the forum. You can try by posting in the Buy/Sell area or Classifieds. You'll never know. At least you got more chances. No harm trying : )

c26492.jpg

from the pics the chromed monster was water cooled, so it belonged to the higher ended family of monsters like s4 or s4r. m9 was air cooled and had a small oil cooler instead.

it looked cool but it gave the rovs and tps one more reason to haul the owner and the bike back to the inspection center with a hefty fine if travelling on rd. chrome plating on major parts of the motorcycle is highly illegal here. plus the glare of the noon sun reflecting up from the chromed tank dun make it rideable in daytime.

but overall, how i wish i had the dough to buy a brand new one!:lovestruck:

]

Originally posted by yohji@Sep 19 2006, 10:54 AM

psychex

I can't realy say which parts spoil esily. I've only owned my bike for close to 1 year. Many minor things have happened but so far, I've only replaced the speedo drive hub, speedo cable and fork seals. The other things that I've changed are just normal stuff like chain, sprocket, plugs, tyres, etc. BTW my bike is a "FV" plate so it's considered quite "new" in the Monsters category and the guy that sold it to me maintained the bike very well. These could be the reasons why the bike is not giving me much problems.

arjen

Thanks for the pictures. I didn't know we have chromed Monsters in Singapore. Looks like a M900. I've only seen such things overseas, on the Internet. Where did you spot it??

Pro Dero

Everyday when you get home, just ride the bike around the neighbourhood for 20mins loh? Or at the very least around the car park. We can't ride your bike unless you add us into your sub-rider list : )

tabako

If you need pricing of ORIGINAL Ducati parts, you can call Minerva Showroom at 6298-4777 and look for Ismail. Be prepared to tell him the model and year of manufacture of your bike. If you want to find second-hand parts, you can try our own forum or go to Kallang Cycle and look for Michael. You can order it from the Internet too, if you are familiar with the procedures.

Its a monster s4 using the 916 engine. spotted at sengkang, parking illegally under void deck :giddy:

åƒé‡‘难买早知é“.......

HI to all Monster owners/ monsters lau jiao! I wish to know more abt the bike from here as im considering to get one too, either a M400 or the S4s probably FN, FQ or FP plate...please put the S4 aside,

1.What are the specs of the M400? 0-100kph....100kph-0.......top speed.....weight.....

2.How to tell if its 400 600 or 900?

3.Some of the monsters have an exhaust pipe at each side underneath, some below the seat, some 2pipes togather at one side only.....y is that so?

4.How big is the oil tank(inslude reserve tank)? S4 is abt 18...?

5.Fuel consumption higher than S4s alot or just alittle or about the same? *if same i confirm take monster...lol

6.Performance wise, torque (pick up) is better than S4, but top end no fight at all, ture?

7.How LOUD will the growl factor be if the M400 hasnt got any modification? (very intersted to know)

8.M400 is an italian bike but why is it sold abt the same price as the S4s?

9.Is it harder to maintain the monster than the S4 monthly? Parts are expensive, rare to find...

10.Saw it from some threads, duno remember correctly anot, the inusrance for monster is cheaper than the S4?...........me 23 this year, got 2B for 3.5years liao, getting 2A at the moment...

11.Pillion on the M400 will not b as comfy as the S4?

actually still gt many more, but the important ones have ask! will appreciate if the answers are revealed! Thanks to all who help, n viewed.....

-------------------------------------------------------------

2003-2005 Honda SP 150 , 2007-2008 Honda Super 4 vS

2010- 2012 Yamaha TW200, 2012- 2013 Honda CB550K

2013- 2013 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S ,2014- 2016 : Yamaha Tmax 530 ABS, 2016 - 2016 : Ducati Streetfighter S

2016 - now : Ducati Diavel Cromo, 2017 - 2018 : Yamaha XJR1300, 2018 - now : Vespa GTS 300

Thanks Johji,

Sure, Every bike needs propper maintaince before anything else is to blame :)

I did some work on my monster already, still some things to do..

1st owner mounted a (by now very rusty) voltmeter, so I took off the rusty thing.

By doing that I figuered he'd just 'wire twisted' the wires together.. no propper soldering and just some tape instead of decent crimp isolation.. aaargh !

:giddy:

and the Ground return cable for the headlight was broken (pinched, somehow.. ??) Fixed all that, at least the wiring is ok now

:cheer:

I asked Minerva abt the Idling speed, their mechanic said it is like that. indeed, cold condition idling is abt 500 rpm...

Anybody knows if there is side panniers available for a M400 ?

Top box is a nono, it spoils the look of the bike, but how 's the side boxes ?

Anything out there with acceptable looks ? How much would those cost me ?

Picture anyone ???

Thanks folks,

Keep the rubber side down !

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space!

Beezleblub

Got to sort out these small small details one by one hehe. I do admit I got frustrated sometimes but when I think of the hardships I went through to get the bike (including getting the license), I told myself "Isn't this bike what I want and what I expected? If yes, don't complain, just fix it". This is how I "encourage myself hehe. I think many people started giving up on thier Monsters when small problems start to creep out.

Minerva said idling at 2000rpm is normal?? Can anyone else riding M400 verify this? If this is normal then my bike is seriously running at very low rpm.

BTW I'm using Oxford. Got it from someone in the forum by the nick of Motrax33 (hey friend, I recommend business to you again heh). Not cheap but useful for me and looks fine for Monster. Topbox for a Monster is a sin!!! BTW a couple of pictures below:

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7794/dsc081648md.th.jpg http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/5360/dsc081629vs.th.jpg

Jade

I just changed to a pair of Michelin Pilot Sports (not the one in my pictures). Seems like it's quite popular. Didin't really tried those racing style cornering because my skills are not that good. So I can't tell if they are really good for cornering and etc. But they do feel sticker and softer than my previous Metzler Sportec M1s (when I touched them with bare hands!). BTW Metzler came out with Sportec M3 to take over the M1 as the top-range tyres. I think the M3s' threads are beautiful and must be very costly but who's gonna look at your tyres .. can't even see when they are spinning haha!

c26492.jpg

y no body is helping me........:cry:

-------------------------------------------------------------

2003-2005 Honda SP 150 , 2007-2008 Honda Super 4 vS

2010- 2012 Yamaha TW200, 2012- 2013 Honda CB550K

2013- 2013 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S ,2014- 2016 : Yamaha Tmax 530 ABS, 2016 - 2016 : Ducati Streetfighter S

2016 - now : Ducati Diavel Cromo, 2017 - 2018 : Yamaha XJR1300, 2018 - now : Vespa GTS 300

Originally posted by stanmysterio@Sep 22 2006, 04:34 AM

HI to all Monster owners/ monsters lau jiao! I wish to know more abt the bike from here as im considering to get one too, either a M400 or the S4s probably FN, FQ or FP plate...please put the S4 aside,

1.What are the specs of the M400? 0-100kph....100kph-0.......top speed.....weight.....

2.How to tell if its 400 600 or 900?

3.Some of the monsters have an exhaust pipe at each side underneath, some below the seat, some 2pipes togather at one side only.....y is that so?

5.Fuel consumption higher than S4s alot or just alittle or about the same? *if same i confirm take monster...lol

6.Performance wise, torque (pick up) is better than S4, but top end no fight at all, ture?

7.How LOUD will the growl factor be if the M400 hasnt got any modification? (very intersted to know)

8.M400 is an italian bike but why is it sold abt the same price as the S4s?

9.Is it harder to maintain the monster than the S4 monthly? Parts are expensive, rare to find...

10.Saw it from some threads, duno remember correctly anot, the inusrance for monster is cheaper than the S4?...........me 23 this year, got 2B for 3.5years liao, getting 2A at the moment...

11.Pillion on the M400 will not b as comfy as the S4?

actually still gt many more, but the important ones have ask! will appreciate if the answers are revealed! Thanks to all who help, n viewed.....

Brudder,

I don't consider myself old bird since I rode my duke for 1.5 years only.

To put a S4 and Monster, it really cannot compare leh.

To my own knowledge without prove, I can try to help you answer these:

1. M4 have good pickup and you need to ride it hard. It does not have top end. So fast I get 160 side by side with a SV400 which shows 180 on his. On sinkapor road, travelling at 100 to 120 is just nice for my riding style.

2.400, 600 and 900 looks alike leh. Unless you ask the rider what cc is it. 99.99% of riders on the street mistaken my bike for a 900cc which is actually 400cc. These can be by customise your bike if you have got the guts.

3. Low mount, high mount, underseat etc etc can be customise if you got some cash to spare.

4. Full tank for a 400cc is abt 15+- litre I think. But when i top full tank, I get 220 and the reserve lights up. Hence there are abt 3 litres to go. Usually I spend abt SGD$25 to get a full tank when the reserve lits up.

You still mention abt S4 again. Riding a duke/S4 to me is like dressing myself. It depends what kind of style you like to be seens dressed lor.

4.How big is the oil tank(inslude reserve tank)? S4 is abt 18...?

5. Everybody for their preferences in what bike they wanted. As for me, if I were to ride a S4, I rather take a public transport. Sorry for my remarks as again, i mention this is as its individual preferences. Stop comparing ducati with monster will you? heh heh heh.

6. I have not try competing with bikers on the road, but to tell you abt pickup, it's depend on how you ride. Normally when the road is clear, and safe to do so, I would be ahead of the pack leaving them some 1 KM behind which I could not even see them from my mirror.

7. Loud? The stock pipe is nice, but if you remove the stock pipes and say add on termis, woah..... they are music to my ears...

8. This one I donno why and I didn't bother. Go along with your heart... ride on with what you have passion for. Ever since I rode on a ducati, I have fallen in love with it. And I am looking out for another ducati if my budget permits.

9. As for maintenance, it depends.. As for ma bike, it's been 6 owners before me. Ever since I took over from those careful owners, ma bike did not fail me at all. Parts are consider more expensive comparing to other model of the bike.

10. I am 40+ and my insurance is abt 200+ for a 400cc ducati.

11. In ma life, I hate to pillion people unless that person is desperately in need of help. So again, it's up to you.

Brudder.... cannot compare S4 amd Monster....

But again, it's up to individual...

Good luck in your bike hunting..

Cheers!

Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.

actually u can tell the diff between m4, m6 and m9.

m4 and m6 looks the closest but m6 had a oil cooler (looks like a thin radiator) and m4 dun, though it can be bought aftermarket.

some older 5 geared m6 had a single brake rotor in front while most of the later 6 geared m6 had two. in fact the m4 is the small bore version of the m6 so both are identical. not to mention the 2006 efi m4 had twin brake rotors too.

m9 is totally diff from m4 & m6 koz it is a dry clutch monster. the former two are wet clutches. it contributes to the "ice cream bell" clinking sounds when the bike in in neutral or clutched in, which imo, sounds alot nicer than loud exhausts.

performance wise, read up more la bro! the pros and cons of aircooled v twin over water cooled inline 4.

ducati under powered!!?? compare to other aircooled v twins like harleydavidsons la.... all mostly below 60bhp for a 1300cc engine!

]

Considering that u mean Honda Super Four as S4...

I ain't expert, but i think u want a comparison between S4 and Monster.

I for one used to ride a S4 then changed over to a Monster.

Speed is not a priority for my riding, since one can't ride that fast without breaking the law and might probably break your own bones if not too careful.... However, I can easily hit higher speed with my ex S4. Weight wise, S4 is definately heavier.

Fuel consumption is neck to neck, but considering that a Monster weighs less, I guess it's consumption is a tad higher.

I like the sound of my monster over that of S4, which is sooooo common. One can tell a monster engine without peeking at the source of the low rumble.

Maintenance wise, monster parts will cost more. Period.

Pillion seat for monster is rounded down, hence, it may not be comfy as that of S4. Having said that, the seat can be modified to be pillion-friendly.

Personally, the advantage of Monster over S4:

- Not so common

- looks and sound cooler

- cornering is fun!

- lighter for me

- not as high as S4, better control. I'm a shorty at 1.6m

- better handling

Advantage of S4 over Monster

- cheaper maintenance

- can put box, more storage space under seat

- slightly better fuel consumption

Originally posted by yohji@Sep 22 2006, 09:55 PM

Jade

I just changed to a pair of Michelin Pilot Sports (not the one in my pictures). Seems like it's quite popular. Didin't really tried those racing style cornering because my skills are not that good. So I can't tell if they are really good for cornering and etc. But they do feel sticker and softer than my previous Metzler Sportec M1s (when I touched them with bare hands!). BTW Metzler came out with Sportec M3 to take over the M1 as the top-range tyres. I think the M3s' threads are beautiful and must be very costly but who's gonna look at your tyres .. can't even see when they are spinning haha!

How much are your Michelins? What is the price diff between Metzler M1 and M3?

tyres can look nice meh? :cheeky:

Originally posted by vincekam@Sep 3 2006, 06:01 PM

Saw 2 ducati YELLOW at CDC.

Bike 1. FQ 3 digit plate. I think it's a female rider if I am not wrong.

Bikke 2. Yellow color with tank bra. Nice, the bike looks like a leopard from far. Owner is Indy.

Cheers!

hey! bike 1's mine. name's irvin. saw the other monster. looks cool :)

oh, i'm a dude btw

Originally posted by Jade@Sep 25 2006, 09:35 PM

How much are your Michelins? What is the price diff between Metzler M1 and M3?

tyres can look nice meh? :cheeky:

Jade

Erm I paid somewhere around $300 for the Michelins. As for the Metzlers, I am not sure. The M1s were already on the bike when I took over. I don't know the price for M3 either. I just "heard" my friend saying M3 is very costly. Maybe because it is a new model. And yes, I think the thread patterns on the M3s really look cool!!!

c26492.jpg

Seems like Michelins quite popular lor....When I took over my bike, it was Michelins too...Are there many diff types of Michelins?

Should I get it done in Kallang Cycle or is there any other better options?

Does Mike do wheel balancing?

Originally posted by Jade@Sep 26 2006, 09:40 PM

Seems like Michelins quite popular lor....When I took over my bike, it was Michelins too...Are there many diff types of Michelins?

Should I get it done in Kallang Cycle or is there any other better options?

Does Mike do wheel balancing?

use mich pilot power 2CT instead of sport.

You will definitely love em .... its slightly costly but worth the ride...... it plays huge difference in cornering and better tyre grip

For Mich tyres .... go to sporting .... they are the dealers for the tyres

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc114/antonioshabirto/shoei1.jpg

http://motoplanete.com/mv-agusta/SBR11_MVVRloop.gif

Jade>> I like the Bridgestone Battalax BT020. It is mostly geared towards touring. It has good water dispersion and is a very hardy tire. The cornering on it is pretty good too..heh

Born to be Wild : Steppenwolf (1968)

Originally posted by antonioshabirto@Sep 26 2006, 11:06 PM

hi guys,

i heard Ducati will be closed down under minerva n reopen under different company.

i hope the new owner will give us a better support.

omg

are u sure?? they have been around for quite sometime

To be old and wise, u gotta be young and stupid

在绝望中坚强