SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SHELL - OFFICIAL STATEMENT RELEASED

MPeX

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very surprised by some's bikers reaction about Shell announcement & repliy.

The idea of "Dismount when refuelling your motorcycle" is not only from Shell. This is the offical's position of National Fire Prevention Council.

Http://www.nfpc.gov.sg

Click Fire Page

Click Fire Prevention Tips

Click Low bandwidth

Click Vehicle fire Safety Tips (At the bottom of the page)

First line read "Dismount when refuelling your motorcycle".

http://www.nfpc.gov.sg/firepage/tip_vehicle.html

Causing spillage is bad enough. If spillage lead fire, it probably is just statistic. If the spillage cause caused a biker, or more, not able to have babies, then :sorry: hor...

Then thanks yourself for being lazy, plus all the logic, reasoning, excuses etc, of not dismounting while refuelling.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

www.calvarypandan.org

A simple analogy, which do you think is more reasonable:

1) Banning people from riding motorcycles just because it has the highest fatality rate compared to other forms of transportation when an accident occurs

OR

2) Try and think of and implement ways to prevent or at least minimise and reduce the chances of an accident from happening in the first place

Now to most (perhaps all?) of us option (1) is ridiculous and option (2) is much more acceptable....

But to a person who do not ride and/or have no interest in motorcycles at all (e.g. some parents who object to their children riding), option (1) is perfectly reasonable and is the safest option as well.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by AliDavidSum@Mar 22 2005, 03:40 PM

I am very surprised by some's bikers reaction about Shell announcement & repliy.

The idea of "Dismount when refuelling your motorcycle" is not only from Shell. This is the offical's position of National Fire Prevention Council.

Http://www.nfpc.gov.sg

Click Fire Page

Click Fire Prevention Tips

Click Low bandwidth

Click Vehicle fire Safety Tips (At the bottom of the page)

First line read "Dismount when refuelling your motorcycle".

http://www.nfpc.gov.sg/firepage/tip_vehicle.html

Causing spillage is bad enough. If spillage lead fire, it probably is just statistic. If the spillage cause caused a biker, or more, not able to have babies, then hor...

Then thanks yourself for being lazy, plus all the logic, reasoning, excuses etc, of not dismounting while refuelling.

Well to each their own opinion. Anyway to dismount bike for refuelling for

1) Class 2B - some problem,

2) Class 2A - lagi more problem (heavy)

3) Class 2 - worst of the lot as they are the heaviest and especially those without main stand.

Since from their reply it seems they also have closed the case on us, so to each and every biker to choose how they would react on the matter.

Guest max_nhk

If all the bikers stops going to Shell and starts crowding the other stations...

Wouldn't the car drivers do likewise but in the opposite direction?

All move towards Shell because there's less crowd there...

Possible??? :confused:

Originally posted by max_nhk@Mar 22 2005, 09:16 PM

If all the bikers stops going to Shell and starts crowding the other stations...

Wouldn't the car drivers do likewise but in the opposite direction?

All move towards Shell because there's less crowd there...

Possible??? :confused:

bike's population is too small to make such an impact.. unless u guys pump petrol together la.. 50 bikes 1 shot.. then maybe

Within resource limitations and upon a request by the biker, we will be advising the site staff to assist in refueling the bike so long as they are not required to hold the bike upright as our staff may not have the necessary experience in handling the various makes of bikes.

makes no sense.

pls lah, talk with some sense can.

"we will be advising the site staff to assist in refueling the bike so long as they are not required to hold the bike upright as our staff may not have the necessary experience in handling the various makes of bikes"

I tot at first he said his staff very proficient. now suddenly say staff may not have the necessary experience in handling the various makes of bikes.

Pls go hm n suck thumb. Say staff beri gd in this n tat now e other way round no experience....

Its like slapping ur own face my fren

:sorry: :thumb:

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11496/34175638049782l.jpg

Originally posted by hondavvvtec@Mar 23 2005, 03:52 AM

makes no sense.

pls lah, talk with some sense can.

"we will be advising the site staff to assist in refueling the bike so long as they are not required to hold the bike upright as our staff may not have the necessary experience in handling the various makes of bikes"

:sorry: :thumb:

Kindly do not quote the entire post.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/MPeX/DSCF0048.jpg

This issue is probably about politics, just think of it this way - There is a high-post appointment holder who come up with this brilliant idea in the name of safety. All his subordinates agree with this new idea, cause they do not want to spoil the plan, or try to act smart and tell him this idea is pointless.

Then, when the idea is submitted to their top management, boss say "Good job, well done, so clever to come up with new measures to improve their customer service level."

Boss approve this idea, acrylic signs are made and distributed to all the shell stations, and this smart guy with come up wif this idea is smiling all the way that his "safety measure" is implemented.

So when a group of end-users make a lot of noise, and rebutt the reasons of this dismounting of the bike, share their views, make their point, they will still try very hard to convince us that ... their idea is BRILLIANT, it is for safety ... and they will keep enphasize on the name of safety.

We as consumers, can give them feedback, comments and whether they want to listen to us is up to them.

Just think about it, the amount of effort they put in, to make the acylic signs, to issue memos to all the stations, to brief their staffs on the new brilliant safety measures, you think they will want to waste the time to halt this campaign and withdraw all this back?

How is that smart guy going to hide his face, how is he going to answer to his boss, of why his new idea of safety measure was not welcomed, and why need to stop implementing. He CAN'T, so he will try means and ways to make things happen the way he wanted or planned, if not he may even loose his jobs or loose credits, appraisal affected, bonus lesser, promotion at risk, rice bowl cannot expand :p

All they think of for now is to "actively persuade bikers to dismount while refueling and create the awareness for those who may not be familiar with the English safety leaflet (Think Safe Stay Safe) that are already available at all Shell stations"

In this way, they have more job to do, and more things to show their boss that they are performing according to plan, and waiting for their boss to give a good pat on their shoulder for JOB WELL DONE.

"We hope that the above measures can reassure the biking community of Shell's good intentions and would like to take this opportunity to thank the biking community for their continued support and for making Shell their preferred brand of petrol."

I think for this above statement, they will only withdraw this measure when the day comes that ... the boss looks at the Balance sheet and ask this smart guy - where are all my bike community customer base gone to? When they realise that it is back-firing, loosing money in the name of safety, they will change it one day. Afterall, which company wants to implement something to looose money?

So for now, let the consumers decide, the choice of which station to go to is still ours, no one can force us to use Shell, so just make our own choice and move on, not as if there is only Shell to pump ... Gd luck to shell :)

Well said.

Let's vote with our dollar.

I for one will not pump at shell while i ride my bike. You guys should do the same if you feel strongly on the issue.

The revenue per bike may be as much as that from cars, but in the cut throat world which they belong, MONEY is still MONEY.

Maybe they think that there won't be enough bikers will be pissed enough to switch to their competition to make dent in their overall revenue.

Let's see if they are right or not.

S'pore has about 120k bikes, the fuel consumption of an ave bike is half of an ave car. Assuming the an ave bike travels the same mileage as an ave car, Shell is going to lose a potential 60k cars petrol revenue!

Assuming 50% of the 120k bikers don't pump at shell becasue of this new policy, and each month each bike pumps $60, total revenue lost per month = $3.6 million!

That's excludes those bikers who own cars too, and those bikers who manage to convince his/her friends/relatives/families not to pump at Shell.

People ask me, "Why ride bike?" I ask them back :"Why drive car?"

Like i said.

Time for talk is past.... it's time to see how the market responds to Shell's decision...

They have a right to implement a policy and we have right to pump elsewhere.

As far as i'm concerned Esso, Mobil and even SPC are gonna get my business now for my bike and my car.

$3.6 million?! I think that's a rather optimistic estimate bro! :sweat:

But I guess even a drop of $50~100K in revenue a month should be enough to raise a few alarm bells.

It all also depends on whether all the willingness of people who are unhappy with this ruling to put their money where their mouths are!

*And I agree wholeheartedly with jockster!

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by Keynes@Mar 23 2005, 03:39 PM

S'pore has about 120k bikes, the fuel consumption of an ave bike is half of an ave car. Assuming the an ave bike travels the same mileage as an ave car, Shell is going to lose a potential 60k cars petrol revenue!

Assuming 50% of the 120k bikers don't pump at shell becasue of this new policy, and each month each bike pumps $60, total revenue lost per month = $3.6 million!

That's excludes those bikers who own cars too, and those bikers who manage to convince his/her friends/relatives/families not to pump at Shell.

1st: I'm thinking about 80% already don't pump at shell even before this. Some pump in malaysia, some pump at Esso, Mobil, SPC etc. And all the big petrol tank bike almost always pump malaysia... so its the 600 cc or below that pump in SG. You're mainly talking about 125 cc cubs here...

2nd: There will always be diehards or people who only live near a petrol station bo pian.

3rd: A good proportion of these bikes are sitting in motodiam, owners 2nd, 3rd or even 4th vehicle. use little or no petrol.

$60 x 20 = 1200km is too optimistic when you think the bikes are mostly 2B cubkia or similar... I don't know any wave rider who spends $60 a month on petrol.

So, already, before they start this issue, they are not earning much from bikers, I think they can afford to loose us lah..

And finally... $3.6 mil is small peanuts in the petroleum world lah....

<span style=\'font-family:Ariel\'>The Difference between Men and Boys is that the Boys think the size of their Motorcycles has something to do with being a man.

Iron Butt Association#23842

Yeah, pai seh, wrong assumptions.

I missed out the current market share of Shell, let's say 15%. So 15% of bikers pumped Shell, and becasue of this new policy, 50% of these 15% switch to other brands, so 50% of 15% of all bikers = 0.5X0.15X120kX$60=$540k, still high leh!

Lets not forget, this is revenue, not profit.

Minus costs of the petrol to Shell to pump the crude out of the ground, ship it to singapore, refine it, gahment taxes for the petrol, staff time costs arguing with you, etc etc...

your $500,000 become $50,000 liao.... less then their CEO monthly paycheck.

<span style=\'font-family:Ariel\'>The Difference between Men and Boys is that the Boys think the size of their Motorcycles has something to do with being a man.

Originally posted by blurrblurr@Mar 23 2005, 06:07 PM

But $50K times 12 months equals to $600K. Assume all their pump attendance each earn $2k per mth. They can pay at least 300 pump attendance already.

A lot of money from our point of view but 600K per annum is peanuts to Shell, especially after deducting company tax. Won't even buy a car for their CEO.

Shell made Euros 12,496,000,000... in 1 year... S$600,000 is less than 0.00160% and a lot less after Singapore gahment tax

BTW, that's 300 pump attendant-months. If you want to take a financial period of 12 months then you need to divide by 12 again, which gives you 25 attendants only. Assuming they add half an attendant to each station to hold our bikes and help us pump (part time staff for busy period maybe) they still end up loosing money because they will need 30 full time staff-equavalents.... so why would they care?

Hard fact is, everybody in Singapore treats bikers like dirt, because we don't count for much statistically or financially. As a biker I dislike this but as a realist I accept this truth. If car owners boycott, Shell would cry, but bikers got zero power. If we give them business they are happy, if we don't, no loss to them.

I use $60/mth because I spend abt $60/mth on petrol. Come to think of it, $50k/mth is a small sum lah, no impact to Shell, a mega oil company.

They can adjust their V-power price up by 1 cent/litre to recup the loss easily.

Sigh... we bikers always got no $$ muscle.

Wait a second, if all the bikers in the world boycott Shell.....??

I'm just wondering, y Shell only implement this policy in S'pore, not Malaysia and other countries, now I roughly know the answer liao.

B cos S'pore bikes population is quite small, Shell can afford to lose us, other countries, maybe it just want to try S'pore out first and see the impact....

Actually with or without our support, Shell will survive in Singapore.

SAF/SCDF/Home Team all pledge allegiance and undying support for Shell. And I ever worked with my unit's MT Line and saw the bills from Shell before... these gahmen organisations billed less than half of what we paying per litre... I suppose tax has been excluded..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/MPeX/DSCF0048.jpg

Originally posted by MPeX@Mar 23 2005, 10:11 PM

Actually with or without our support, Shell will survive in Singapore.

SAF/SCDF/Home Team all pledge allegiance and undying support for Shell. And I ever worked with my unit's MT Line and saw the bills from Shell before... these gahmen organisations billed less than half of what we paying per litre... I suppose tax has been excluded..

Diesel = $0.618/L (Price during Oct'04)

Everyday don't know how much diesel SAF uses. If we vomit out our diesel can flood a whole camp.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!