SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SHELL - OFFICIAL STATEMENT RELEASED

MPeX

Originally posted by MrLau@Mar 31 2005, 04:28 PM

oh.... I read thru, cannot find the the answer i looking for....

becoz i still not understand why they implement this rule.... for their own good or for bikers good...

I just want to confirm is anyone from us here, witness :

1. Petrol spill to groin area...

2. Drop the bike refueling while strading.. ?

Erm, this is true....

Happened to me. Riding gloves caught the trigger and bad things happened. This was in JB and I had to spend quite a lot of time in the toilet. You do NOT want to be in this situation, trust me. Dun believe me dip your groin in some petrol and see.... it really burns... and the pain does not go away even after 10 mins of washing with running water... about 5 hours to fully recover (but didn't tell anyone).

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

But then, I still support the right for everybody to burn their groin if they so choose to...

Ah lau ah, Ah lau... dun need to look so far, see this quote by your kopi kaki...

This incident Koyok can confirm as witness... sibeh pain...

But I learnt the lesson, is not that I must dismount and pump petrol... its to take off gloves and pump petrol. Since then, no more such problems.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MPeX@Apr 1 2005, 02:22 AM

Just an hr ago (1+ am) i refuelled at Thomson Mobil...

And attendant uncle walk over and said "Good morning, hello!" to me and offered to help me. I politely declined and pumped while seated on my bike, and he had a short chat with me about rising petrol prices, my bike and where i just came back from.

That's service for you! :smile:

Ya... Had this type of 'Excellent" service before in Mobil BUT!, it has never happened in sHELL.

Memories of 1403 on 24/8/06

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2910/memoriesof1403tfkl2.jpg

Memories of Arai Helmets

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2710/helmetsdfbi0.jpg

Basically, I don't think we are trying to get EVERYONE to boycott Shell.

If you like Shell and do not have a problem with their policy/service, by all means continue with them, it's your choice and your money!

But the point that most of us are trying to get across is, IF you are unhappy or disagree with their policy, you DON'T have to suk thumb and just blindly accept this ruling.

What is perceived to be good for some may not be perceived to be good for others. As a consumer and paying customer, you have a right to choose what you want and what is best for yourself.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

i think we can close tis issue?

no matter how u argue or complain..tis rule will still be implemented by shell..

some ppl choose shell..some pple choose mobil..some spc..some caltex..all personal choices..no pt debating any further..maybe when another company starts tis rule..then we can continue debating..bcoz i feel all of us goin in circles n circles..leading nowhere..everybody will have his own views oso..just need to respect one another views..n not to die die think that yr own view is the best

nov 99 - mar 06 nsr150sp

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 2 2005, 11:32 AM

If you like Shell and do not have a problem with their policy/service, by all means continue with them, it's your choice and your money!

But the point that most of us are trying to get across is, IF you are unhappy or disagree with their policy, you DON'T have to suk thumb and just blindly accept this ruling.

What is perceived to be good for some may not be perceived to be good for others. As a consumer and paying customer, you have a right to choose what you want and what is best for yourself.

Agree... There will always be a risk no matter which type of position you are at as straddling, standing, sitting, squatting or the pump attendant helps refuelling. Are there no risk factor involves??? One slightest mistake of overflow by a experienced pump attendant can lead to 0.00001 accident. So shall we take this 0.00001 record as a precautious or implement it as a preventive way?

Furthermore, I do assume that should any incident occurs by consumer, the damages will not be compensated by sHELL.

Memories of 1403 on 24/8/06

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2910/memoriesof1403tfkl2.jpg

Memories of Arai Helmets

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2710/helmetsdfbi0.jpg

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 2 2005, 11:32 AM

Exact-o-mundo....

Anyone pumped this and V power like to comment? My engine totally no knocking. Last time despite when I used Shell 98 and V power also knocks. Not enough drive.

It's interesting to note that in the US, 92 octane is considered premium petrol. Most of them pump 85,87 or 89 octane fuel.

Well perhaps the bikes meant for the US are different but, then again i don't think that all the jap bikes sent to the US have their engines modified for lower octance fuel. If i'm not wrong many bikes here can still pump as low as 92 oct. Anyway just sharing, no need to flame if you disagree. :)

Originally posted by teztay@Apr 2 2005, 08:22 PM

Actually 92 octane is more than sufficient for most vehicles

Look up your manuals and most will see the recommendations there.

For bigger cc bikes, you'll hardly notice the difference unless you are heavy with throttle.

The reason why all Euro models that are being taken in has a higher octance level is because the engine is of higher compression ration. The higher the octane level of the fuel is, the lesser possibility that it will detonate prematurely (before the TDC and spark plug ignition). Pumping lower octane level petrols for long periods is like smoking. Slowly slowly... Lung cancer creeps in. (smokers please dun flame me hor...) The engine will be damaged permanently over the long run.

Hence it is essential to pump minimum RON95 for all euro models that are coming into Singapore after 2003. Previously, the Canadian models have lower compression ration so they can afford to take in RON92.

I have attached a mail from CALTEX explaining their Vortex Platinum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Winston,

Thank you so much for being interested in Caltex Vortex Platinum. We

have three grades of Vortex in Singapore; Silver, Gold and Platinum with

Research Octane Number (RON) 95, 98 and 98 , respectively. Caltex

Vortex gasolines have an advanced, proprietary deposit control additive

that can clean up harmful intake and fuel system deposits, and can also

keep these deposits from forming in new engines. Thus Vortex provides

maximum power, better pick up (acceleration) and enhanced driveability

and smoothness. Vortex Silver and Gold is difference in octane level

with RON 95 and 98 . Vortex Gold and Platinum though have octane at the

same level , 98RON but the Vortex Platinum is a premium performance

gasoline blended from specially selected refinery streams and it is

designed especially for the most demanding motorist.

You may find more information regarding Caltex Vortex from the website.

http://www.caltex.com/products/fuels_automotive.asp#platinum

Regards,

Orapin Sae Jung

PERT Regional Manager SEAsia

ChevronTexaco

Distributed Center of Focus, Asia Pacific&Africa-Pakistan

Product Engineering, Regulations and Technology

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vortex Platinum has a octane level of 98 also as V power. But yet it performs much better at same price. The choice is clear for performance petrol.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

I lurve Vortex Platinum. Smooth. Now cannot use first. Very the expensive leh... Prices r up. Must wait till down then i use it again.

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

Originally posted by tweakmax2@Apr 3 2005, 01:20 PM

how much per litre... cos v power is $1.70

Same price! :smile:

History n Present ride

Please forgive my ignorance but I noticed that Malaysia’s Esso/Mobil got “F1” petrol grade but Singapore don’t have. The best is only 8000. Anyone care to help enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy sh*t we don't need."

- Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

"Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living."

- Rebecca St. James

Originally posted by seeprompt@Apr 5 2005, 10:19 PM

Please forgive my ignorance but I noticed that Malaysia’s Esso/Mobil got “F1” petrol grade but Singapore don’t have. The best is only 8000. Anyone care to help enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

Malaysia’s Esso/Mobil “F1” petrol grade = RON97 / Grade 97

Singapore Esso/Mobil Synergy 8000 = RON98 / Grade 98

Hope dat helps u.

History n Present ride

Please refrain from writng other topics, this thread is for Shell policy of not selling petrol to bikers who don't dismount while refueling.

Thank You.

People ask me, "Why ride bike?" I ask them back :"Why drive car?"

Originally posted by RxzDelux@Apr 5 2005, 11:00 PM

Malaysia’s Esso/Mobil “F1” petrol grade = RON97 / Grade 97

Singapore Esso/Mobil Synergy 8000 = RON98 / Grade 98

Hope dat helps u.

there is 2 types of petrol offered in m'sia rite?? F1 & something else... so wat is the RON for the other?? 95??

I think shell is taking this to a level higher and trying to get public opinion on their side. I read Straits times today and came across this New Paper Ad ( in life Section Pg 16, bottom of the page) which reads "Danger? what danger? Hundred of bikers a day do this at shell station here." and show this picture of a rider pumping while straddeling.

I am only second guessing what Shell is up to, given to the way that how that ad is directing at.

People See things as they are and ask ....Why?

I dream things that are never were and ask ...Why Not??

Live to Ride!!!

MY VTEC III, MY BEST FRIEND, trusted, dependable and would take me wherever i want to go.

Originally posted by Starfury@Apr 8 2005, 09:39 AM

I think shell is taking this to a level higher and trying to get public opinion on their side. I read Straits times today and came across this New Paper Ad ( in life Section Pg 16, bottom of the page) which reads "Danger? what danger? Hundred of bikers a day do this at shell station here." and show this picture of a rider pumping while straddeling.

I am only second guessing what Shell is up to, given to the way that how that ad is directing at.

I tried to pump at Shell a few days ago. While pumping, I realised I cannot top up full tank while on side stand. Then automatically I went to straighten my bike to pump by pulling it up. It wasn't an easy experience. If the person is a new rider, he'll also attempt this and being inexperienced, he might cause the bike to topple spilling the petrol all over the floor and all over his bike. In the end a new rule will come and say 'No straightening of bikes while refilling'.

I think we can suggest that while we refill, we sit on the bike to straighten it, our side stands be down though not touching the floor. When we stop to refill, we do not stradle forward or backwards; merely straightening the bike. Then close the cover and puts the bike down after refilling. Even if we stand away from the bike and refill, the possibility of the petrol spilling out is also extremely high.

What do you think?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

basket, lately new paper adopt anti-biker stance. remember the erp one a few months back? make such a big hoo-ha about a few bikers who beat erp by pushing the bike down a back lane.... obviously its wrong lah but the story make such a big deal like he will kill someone like that, and now this, act like macam car drivers are all saints on the road.......

never do any feature capture how drivers push bikers out of the way......

aiyah, thats a biker's life......

this one either the journalist spotted the thread in rally point or else shell called them....

i'll bet the article when it comes out on sunday will be typical new paper biased reporting. confirm plus guarantee they will present biker points of view from interviews, but present it in such a manner as to imply "listen to this biker, he still thinks nothing wrong".

i've always felt new paper is very 'biased' reporting. they take a stand, and then present their stories biased towards their stand. straits times usually do this only in articles of 'singapore vs others' that kind.

any fair newspaper would have presented that advert or article with the heading, "Is this dangerous?", and then go on to discuss the pros and cons of such acts. the reader will make up his own mind. but no, thats not new paper, they give the heading "Danger? What Danger? Find out what other dangerous things motorcyclists do". confirm end up biased reporting, and confirm will come out wat i mentioned earlier, about implying bikers 'stubbornly insisting nothing wrong' instead of presenting biker points of view fairly.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

It's for an article in the NewPaper on Sunday. I'll be interested to see how they put bikers who refuel on their bikes in a bad light.

Shell trying to be Big Brother now, thinking it knows best for all of us....

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

OK. Let's all buy New Paper this Sunday and read it.

Ooops, no, if New Paper is anit-bikers, then I shall not patronise it.

Can someone buy it and post the article here? Saves the money.

People ask me, "Why ride bike?" I ask them back :"Why drive car?"

I don't think they are... but I think it's rather funny how such a "serious" issue has to be reported in a local tabloid.

Tsk tsk tsk, how unbecoming.

But it those "people" who reads and believe in tabloids, this issue would be serious. but anyway we will see how it develops...

People See things as they are and ask ....Why?

I dream things that are never were and ask ...Why Not??

Live to Ride!!!

MY VTEC III, MY BEST FRIEND, trusted, dependable and would take me wherever i want to go.