SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Riding Skills Series: Slippery When Wet

henRRy

Riding Skills Series: Slippery When Wet

1. Some riders think when the rain starts to come down, so should the garage door, tucking the bike away until the sun shines again the following spring. Unfortunately, they're missing one of the best motorcycling experiences. Riding in the rain can be fun as long as you know what to expect and how to change your riding accordingly.

First of all, clothe yourself properly. A good rainsuit, gloves, boots, and perhaps an electric vest, can keep even the most persistent storm from soaking you. But most importantly, you must change the way you handle the motorcycle. Throttle adjustments need to be made smoothly and in small increments; use less lean angle; gradually apply your brakes and get your braking done early.

2. Be wary of intersections when riding in wet conditions. We all know about the oils in the pavement that surface after a rain, but what about the oil that was already there? Any place in the road where cars come to a stop will have a higher concentration of the slick stuff. The rain makes it worse. You may not be able to spot this while riding, so it's best to decrease your speed when approaching intersections. Don't run yellow lights, because if you have to turn or brake quickly chances are you'll encounter a traction problem. When stopped at a red light, check the rear-view mirror for cars that could slide into you from behind. Also, double your following distance so as not to be surprised by cars stopping suddenly in front of you.

3. Two things we've noticed that drastically reduce traction during wet weather are manhole covers and sealer pavement. Both of these are like black ice when it's raining. When traveling in a straight line they pose less of a threat, but be sure to scan well ahead before you turn the bike to enter an intersection. Get off the brakes early and take a line that's clear of traction-limiting obstructions. Sealer pavement is usually darker than the surrounding blacktop. It can be found in town or on rural roads, and it comes in large patches or smaller sections where it's used for crack repair. If you encounter either of these traction inhibitors resist braking or accelerating hard. If you have to change your line or turn over a greasy section, keep your hands relaxed on the clip-ons and don't lean the bike any more than necessary.

4. Although this may seem obvious, it is amazing how many people we see riding in an area of the lane that is wet even though an adjacent area is dry. Dry pavement offers superior traction and maneuverability, so make sure you continually place yourself in the driest section of the lane. If you can force yourself to slow down and be relaxed, you will find that rain riding (and even touring) can teach you how to be a better and more confident rider. City riding in stormy weather is by far the most nerve-racking, but just because the clouds roll in doesn't mean you can't ride almost every day. Remembering a few pointers can make riding in the rain easier and safer than you think. And besides, who wants to garage their motorcycle for five months out of the year?

Have a safe ride members..

Edited by henRRy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how abt 60% front, 40% back + engine brake??

:confused:

LEAF departure is B`cos of WIND pursit or TREE didn't ask her to stay?

U YEARN for wat u FANTASIZE den 2 realise who U should TREASURE...

å¶çš„离去是因为风的追足还是树没有挽留

你期望你所è¦å¾—, 但å´æ²¡æœ‰å‘现到你所真正ç惜的

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~limtianc/achew_sig.gif

I truly agree. 60% front brake, 40% rear brake and + engine brake. Most important, ure brake pad must be a god one. Recommend EBC racing brake pad. Quite XX but gd, different model different price. So I can't give u a confirm price unless u tell me wat model of bike u r riding now. Can go to Bukit Batok, opposite Bukit Batok inspection area, there r 3 bike shop, but look for d bike shop on ure left, look for ah-kun tell him CBR fireblade ask u to look for him. He sure give U a give price.

Honda NSR 150 SP - FT4977D (June 01 - March 03)

Honda CBR 400 RR- FL2119U (Dec 02 - Jan 04)

Honda CBR 929 RR - FS4382A (Feb 04 - Dec 04)

Susuki Hayabusa 1300- FX9524Z (April 05 - Oct 05)

Susuki Bandit400- FL3540D (Mar 03 - Dec 05)

Honda Super 4 Spec 3 - FZ9528C (Dec 05 - Jan 07)

Honda Walve125S - FW8025J (Aug 06 - June 07)

Yamaha Spark135 LE - FBB4..7C (March 07 - ???)

wonder whether u all came across this cruve road from BKE into KJE.. there're these saw-tooth drains across the road, 2 of them are on the straighter portion of the road, so no problem. but the last one is across quite a sharp curve, everytime i can sense my rear tire skid at bit going through it on raining days.. a bit of phobia liao....

Anyone knows how good is the Super4 original tires?

I had a tendency to lose grip when cornering or brake "slightly" hard on wet roads.

Although not as bad as my previous NSR IRC tires.

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~none/sign7.jpghttp://home.pacific.net.sg/~none/sign8.jpg

Although not as bad as my previous NSR IRC tires.

i hate irc tyres. i realli realli hate irc tyres. very bad grip on wet road. the original irc on my phantom, i skidded and fall twice in 6 months, both occasions wet road.

now i change, even the cheap 'shinko' and 'vee rubber' tyres $133 front rear total, in another 6 months never skid at all since.

i hate irc tyres. i realli realli hate irc tyres.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

dun think any 1 would love 'IRC' tires....

:lol:

LEAF departure is B`cos of WIND pursit or TREE didn't ask her to stay?

U YEARN for wat u FANTASIZE den 2 realise who U should TREASURE...

å¶çš„离去是因为风的追足还是树没有挽留

你期望你所è¦å¾—, 但å´æ²¡æœ‰å‘现到你所真正ç惜的

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~limtianc/achew_sig.gif

i hate irc tyres. i realli realli hate irc tyres. very bad grip on wet road. the original irc on my phantom, i skidded and fall twice in 6 months, both occasions wet road.

now i change, even the cheap 'shinko' and 'vee rubber' tyres $133 front rear total, in another 6 months never skid at all since.

i hate irc tyres. i realli realli hate irc tyres.

I'm also riding a phantom with IRC tyres and I agree that it's grip is not as good but I've been riding for two years on it with little problem. Just be extra careful when riding in the rain. The problem I find is that when braking in the rain, the rear tire tend to lock easier than the front and that causes the bike to skid, thus, the question of the braking ratio for front and rear. I've been searching the websites for answers and it seems that a braking ratio of 75% front and 25% rear helps a lot in preventing a skid....be it in dry or wet weather. Wondering anyone here can confirm that.

I'm also riding a phantom with IRC tyres and I agree that it's grip is not as good but I've been riding for two years on it with little problem. Just be extra careful when riding in the rain. The problem I find is that when braking in the rain, the rear tire tend to lock easier than the front and that causes the bike to skid, thus, the question of the braking ratio for front and rear. I've been searching the websites for answers and it seems that a braking ratio of 75% front and 25% rear helps a lot in preventing a skid....be it in dry or wet weather. Wondering anyone here can confirm that.

preventing a skid while braking on irc tyres can be done. what is far more difficult is preventing a skid on irc tyres while banking. thats how i skidded. some more the phantom turning angle so wide definitely u have to bank when turning.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

i dun think there is a good tyre for wet weather, only a good sense of judgement and common sense.

I agree that some of the paint and stuffs they (LTA) used on the road posed a threat in wet weather riding/driving.

Like those already mentioned, and dun forget the paint strips to "remind" motorists to slow down, I think LTA hates us and try to kill us in rainy days.

My bro works in LTA (gantry wan lah), I spoke to him many times, he said they know ...... and they ....... well, my bro is not the executive office there ... so....... you know the rest lah hor.

http://www.topheavy.com

BIG IS BEAUTIFUL.

http://www.geocities.com/lokeks/

My audio page

Fiat Grande Punto 5DR Auto

i used my old IRC tyres till the threads were bare...no threads left!!!

then had to change only bcoz i got a nail in it..haha

ok, u'r GOD. I changed my IRC tyres two months after i got my new bike. althought the IRC tyres was NEW and full of threads, i would not take any chance.

Nike - Just do it!

I heard a lot of IRC tyres so when I got my SP 2 years back, I straight away change Dunlop tyres. But I have a couple of friends who uses IRC tyres n met some fatal accident. So, I would say, try not to use any IRC tyres just b'cos U want to save $$. Not worth it.

izzit? U wants me to die if I brake like tat huh?

Invented by Racing Clowns

Install, Run, Crash

It's Really Crappy

take your pick......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Invented by Racing Clowns

Install, Run, Crash

It's Really Crappy

take your pick......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

like dat ah...then choose "Invented By Racing Clowns" lor... :D

sorry, :offtopic: again...

serously wat it stands for/mean har??? :pity:

wheres my siggy?!?!

I haven't read on website and books that said 75 front 25 rear on dry day and 50 front and 50 rear on wet. Wonder why they say that? Must have their reason.

But when I talked to my frens, they also tell me should use 75 front 25 rear on wet day...

When I was using IRC on my SP, skidded twice in less than 3 weeks... Both cos I wanna brake and then brake too hard on raining days. But funny think is before these 2 skids, I nvr encounter much of skidding problem. Dun understand why...

Oct 2001-- NSR 150SP

Apr 2003-- CB 250FX

Dec 2004 to Dec 2011 -- VFR 800A2