SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Technical - Coolant & Radiators

eddie23

Coolant Comparisan  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Coolant Comparisan

if i were to get the maxima coolaide premix, would 1 bottle be sufficient for my super4? i plan to flush my existing coolant and replace it with the coolaide. as far as i know, mustafa carries this product. does anyone have other shops to recommend?

Content in bike coolant system is about 2 litres.

Stupid Hurts!.:giddy:Speed doesn't kill, mistakes does :faint:

BEER!...it's cheaper than fuel now! DRINK!..DON'T RIDE!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's engine ice? put some special ice into the engine?

Engine Ice is brand of a coolant, it is proven to reduce operating race temperatures by as much as 50°F (10 °C),this reduction in operating temperatures allows your engine to maintain maximum horsepower longer,u can try it :angel:

Four Wheels Move The Body,Two Wheels Move The Soul

wah used to have ah.. good leh.. any idea how much was it?

i think it was 70 or 80 bux.. only unique had it isit? it looked very nice a bit bigger and wider than our standard radiator. too bad i didnt snap any pics of it.

anyone seen any aftermarket radiator for s4? better than the stock ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried engine ice this round and indeed feel cooler than normal in general. radiator feels cooler, engine feels cooler and bike cools of faster. not sure if this is the correct way to gauge if the coolant is correct~

why i say so, try to compare pure distilled water and maxima cool-aide. distilled water is cooler. but its not that good as i heard that it will cause rust to your radiator.

Just tried engine ice this round and indeed feel cooler than normal in general. radiator feels cooler, engine feels cooler and bike cools of faster. not sure if this is the correct way to gauge if the coolant is correct~

why i say so, try to compare pure distilled water and maxima cool-aide. distilled water is cooler. but its not that good as i heard that it will cause rust to your radiator.

" distilled water is cooler. but its not that good as i heard that it will cause rust to your radiator." :sian:

Just curious..where in the world did you read or heard that? Distilled water and deionized water are similar and are use for premixed with concentrated coolant. The FACT that distilled water is use because impurites like "ions" are removed. Its tap water that caused rust.

Cool aide and engine ice are both FACTORY PREMIXED and is with distilled or ionized water..just that you don't have to mixed it yourself.

"compare pure distilled water and maxima cool-aide"..distilled water is not meant as a cooling agent for coolant system and not sure why this comparison is mentioned here..its use as a part premix with concentrated coolant.

http://www.SiteVacuum.com/publisher/GoogleSearchIconShadow.gifhttp://www.SiteVacuum.com/publisher/SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

http://www.SiteVacuum.com/publisher/GoogleSearchIconShadow.gifhttp://www.SiteVacuum.com/publisher/SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

Edited by Ah Pek

hey ah pek,

what coolent will you recommend and where can i get one at?

anyway,can cars coolent be used also for s4?

thanks.

27 DEC 2007 - CLASS 2B

15 JAN 2008 - HONDA NSR 150 SP

07 APR 2009 - CLASS 2A

30 MAY 2009 - HONDA CB400 VERSION S

14 SEP 2009 - CLASS 3

14 OCT 2010 - CLASS 2

02 SEP 2011 - HONDA CBR600RR HRC

13 MAY 2013 - VESPA PX200 1985

22 JAN 2014 - DUCATI STREETFIGHTER S

hey ah pek,

what coolent will you recommend and where can i get one at?

anyway,can cars coolent be used also for s4?

thanks.

Depend on your riding style and use of your bike. If its a everyday commuter bike, the usual Diax, Castrol, Rad, kiosk coolant, or Cool-Aide (slightly better boiling point) will do as there boiling point is about 128 degree F. If you race around and ride very hard on your bike or a lot of city start/stop..you are better off with coolant like VP or Engine ice (256 degree F).

Coolant are the same for cars and bikes but when buying, pay attention to the instruction on label..if its "concentrated" or "premixed".

For concentrated, you have to add distilled water or just about any water that has been remove off impurities. Ratio of mixture is usually 1:3 parts or 50/50..no harm if its a bit off.

For premixed type..just pour it into your refill coolant tank or know as reserve tank.

Change coolant type only when you find that the coolant reserve tank dries up once too often..provided your coolant system is good and not leaking. Otehr than that, stay on the cheap and practical side of it with standard coolant..safe $$s.

ah pek, how much will be reasonable and consider cheap for a 1litre of coolent?

anyway went shell yestrd saw this that says no need for dilution and cost $7 per litre.

thanks.

27 DEC 2007 - CLASS 2B

07 APR 2009 - CLASS 2A

14 SEP 2009 - CLASS 3

14 OCT 2010 - CLASS 2

ah pek, how much will be reasonable and consider cheap for a 1litre of coolent?

anyway went shell yestrd saw this that says no need for dilution and cost $7 per litre.

thanks.

$7, its all about the same price..+/- 0.80 cents.

Depending on content and temperate rating..eveything comes with a price. More expensive..each $ has its reason to be charge to you. The best of coolant and the MOST EXPENSIVE is a type that has boiling point up to 375 degree F. Yes, even when your engine over heat..this coolant still keep your block safe from cracking up...a 4 liters of it cost about $150.00!..that time, you can throw away your thermostat liao...LOL!

Go to Esso, get DIAX 500ml coolant (concentrated), its less than $6..then go NTUC buy 1.5 litre "Pure" or "Distilled water"..less than a $..you got the cheapest. Mixed the two..you have exactly 2 litre..S4 empty coolant system requires only 1.8L.

thanks ah pek,

wil get it done tonight.

cya on sat regarding my lousy fc.haha

27 DEC 2007 - CLASS 2B

07 APR 2009 - CLASS 2A

14 SEP 2009 - CLASS 3

14 OCT 2010 - CLASS 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Appreciate it, if you guys can help. I understand that my coolent is leaking from this part of my S4 bike. However, not sure what is this part called (pls see attached photo). I may need to change the whole set of this part and not sure how much will it cost.

Hope someone in this forum can help to figure out what is that part called, so that it will be easier if, I want to buy from FJT or Ahboy..

Thanks guys.

25062009415.jpg

25062009416.jpg

25062009417.jpg

25062009419.jpg

25062009420.jpg

Hi All,

Appreciate it, if you guys can help. I understand that my coolent is leaking from this part of my S4 bike. However, not sure what is this part called (pls see attached photo). I may need to change the whole set of this part and not sure how much will it cost.

Hope someone in this forum can help to figure out what is that part called, so that it will be easier if, I want to buy from FJT or Ahboy..

Thanks guys.

[ATTACH]112605[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]112606[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]112607[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]112608[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]112609[/ATTACH]

That is the outer housing that houses your coolant system thermostat inside..this is Vtec version and different from that of non Vtec. You said "this part"..just not clear enough to justify your actual leakage problem. It could be the hose cracked, the thermostat housing or the hose locking clips cme loose or has cut the hose (leaks under hot coolant pressure). Normally thermostat need to be change only if they can't open for coolant flow and when heat pressure builds up inside, it tend to push out through the hoses joints which is hold by the circlips.

That is the outer housing that houses your coolant system thermostat inside..this is Vtec version and different from that of non Vtec. You said "this part"..just not clear enough to justify your actual leakage problem. It could be the hose cracked, the thermostat housing or the hose locking clips cme loose or has cut the hose (leaks under hot coolant pressure). Normally thermostat need to be change only if they can't open for coolant flow and when heat pressure builds up inside, it tend to push out through the hoses joints which is hold by the circlips.

Hi Ah Pek,

Thanks for the useful information. Sorry that I was not clear of the situation and too many photos that may confuse. I have inserted another photo(refer below) and also inserted some illustration.

My mech says that the leaking is due to wear and tear of the "outer housing" and also due to corrosion (bike is Vtec 2, FV plate coming to 6 yrs).

So was wondering what is the actual name of "this part" and possible to get it from FJT or LAB? Can also advise, estimate how much will "this part" cost?

Thanks n cheers!!

Picture1.jpg

Hi Ah Pek,

Thanks for the useful information. Sorry that I was not clear of the situation and too many photos that may confuse. I have inserted another photo(refer below) and also inserted some illustration.

My mech says that the leaking is due to wear and tear of the "outer housing" and also due to corrosion (bike is Vtec 2, FV plate coming to 6 yrs).

So was wondering what is the actual name of "this part" and possible to get it from FJT or LAB? Can also advise, estimate how much will "this part" cost?

Thanks n cheers!!

[ATTACH]112662[/ATTACH]

Cost I would not know but telling them its a Vtec2 Thermostat housing should suffice. Can just call them and get quote. I believe LAB oso got lobang to get it cheaper..original of course.

You may want to let the mototiam do it..afterall, your fuel running up and down oso does not save you much. Most bike shop when they buy parts, they have a 15% to 25% discount from these spare part shops..plus there label and errand fee..its very normal. Troubling yourself is pretty much cumbersome this way unless you wanna DIY for the fun and joy of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
hmmm guys when should i get my coolant flush ?

like how many km or how long ?

As long as your coolant does not change colour due to rusting because of used of wetr by mototiam..just keep topping up whenever the level falls below the second mark of your coolant reserve tank. Careful of engine ice..seem like got imitation on the market.

6months the best... Dont use engine ice. Useless coolant.

Hmmmm...never expected you to say that. I bought a bottle from reputable bike shop at $30 to try and was shocked that it almost all dried up in my coolant reserve tank in less than a month...may be kenna imitation ones or being further premixed.

let's say the engine ice in the coolant reserve dried up already, can we juz add distilled water or buy those green coolant to top up?

if not gonna buy a bottle of engine ice.

If it dried up on you...don't ever use the same again. Don't just use distilled water..get those premix ones from kiosk would do..they don't dry out that quicky as what you have already use. You want good coolant, pm me.