SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Queries for TA150

Kevs

the tempoary fix for lean mix is to increase your idling speed..but u still ahve to get the mix correct...one of the major failurs of lean mix could result in a hole in the piston...but this is quite rare..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1..you mean the bike stall while idling at traffic lights??

and it also stalls while u are on the move riding??

when was the last time you have tune your carb ??

when was the last EO change??how many km ago??

when was the last time you have cleaned the filter??

when was the spark plug changed..??

answer this questions and you have your answer there.. could be lean mix..

old bikes tends to auto to lean mix with time...this is a result of the joints getting loose, and lean mixes result in very hot engines..thus sometimes you have to cool down to get it started again..

while you are on the move did thee temp gauge lights up?? maybe it is time to flush your radiator and give it a clean coolant. there is apossibility that the engine was so hot that the engine seized... and after it cools it can be started again.

as for the gears ..when was the clutch plates changed??

could be just a simple case of clutch spring and or clutch plates...go to a mech to get opinions..or just a simple clutch cable adjustment.

as ta150 are old bikes...maintenance will be a major activity...yeah this is unavoidable..they need more repalcement of parts as they aged

while u are at the shop ask their opinions on 2 strokes bike cylinder head/ports for it to be decarbonised.....

when was the last time you have tune your carb ??

Nvr done that

when was the last EO change??how many km ago??

End Aug, changed EO at planet, only used 370 km till nw

when was the last time you have cleaned the filter??

Nvr

when was the spark plug changed..??

Nt sure if ah chong changed spark plug when he did servicing for me

temp gauge light nt on at e time, 1st time encounter bike stall while stationary at traffic light, lucky its a ulu rd, few cars ard

Thks 4 yr advice on the gear issue, will send to planet & ask ah chong fixed up the problem. oh ya, i just changed a new chain at planet e last time, will it cause e prob??

well ..

i would tune carb...tighten all joints from carb to cylinder.

clean filter..ta150 uses a reusable foam filter..just remove the air box cover ..this is behind the plated cover on the left of the bike below the seat.. clean it with soap wash thoroughly and dry it..next use some eo to charge up filter..and reinstall.when you open the air box, before or after the filter droplets of liquid(remove it) ) will be found if this stuff gets into your carb...u end up with bad fuel mix. if the filter is very dirty sometimes it can stall your engine and /or you run the engine with a very rich mix...end up fouling your plug..

change plug..after every 20,000km..and inspect clean it as and when neccessary.

hope these suggestion helps...

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

Thks for yr suggestion. I will join the clinic this sat to get more advice fr u.

The venue still the same as last week??

"At the entrance ..you will be stop by the security...

Question: yes?? whats your biz?? where are you going?? etc.

Answer: Visiting my friend , mep koh at tower 2b, unit 04-01."

hi mepkoh, got hold of a TA150 manual & tried yr suggestions to clean up the filter n spark plug, all running smooth nw, thks

today got a new minor problem, my IU unit nt wking, no sound or light, i tried my cashcard on my dad's car, ok leh, it was wking fine last friday leh

ever encountered this problem??

Also, I checked the reserve coolant reservior, empty, is it ok?? the normal coolant is ok, filled up, and the running temperature so far always 1/4 scale

hi mepkoh, got hold of a TA150 manual & tried yr suggestions to clean up the filter n spark plug, all running smooth nw, thks

today got a new minor problem, my IU unit nt wking, no sound or light, i tried my cashcard on my dad's car, ok leh, it was wking fine last friday leh

ever encountered this problem??

Also, I checked the reserve coolant reservior, empty, is it ok?? the normal coolant is ok, filled up, and the running temperature so far always 1/4 scale

IU..go to inspection centre to get it verified..i think foc..they can reccommend u where to repair or buy new one.

you can always top up the coolant overflow tank...

nice to hear u have sorted some of the issues..:angel:

• 3 weeks later...

hmm,recently bought a ta150.seller said to make it a habit to open choke and start the bike every morning till i get my license ahaha.but been noticin whitish smoke every few mins after starting up.it'll go away soon after but jusut wondering if i should be worrying...???????o_Oo_O

hmm,recently bought a ta150.seller said to make it a habit to open choke and start the bike every morning till i get my license ahaha.but been noticin whitish smoke every few mins after starting up.it'll go away soon after but jusut wondering if i should be worrying...???????o_Oo_O

TA150 is a 2 stroker, not to worry. it is perfectly normal to have white smoke when engine is cold. it is not always neccessary to open choke everytime you want to start the bike. only open the choke when you have difficulty starting the bike. i also ride a TA150, 98% of the time it start w/o any problem, i just kick once or twice w/o opening the choke.

very important to make sure your 2T reservoir is not empty or running low, if you don see white smoke during cold start, then it's better not to ride it or you might risk a piston jam. if that happens your wallet gonna bleed...

for more technical queries on TA150, pls post in the TA150 techinical thread, i believe Kev (moderator) will move this thread into the technical thread.

:cheers:

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

TA150 is a 2 stroker, not to worry. it is perfectly normal to have white smoke when engine is cold. it is not always neccessary to open choke everytime you want to start the bike. only open the choke when you have difficulty starting the bike. i also ride a TA150, 98% of the time it start w/o any problem, i just kick once or twice w/o opening the choke.

very important to make sure your 2T reservoir is not empty or running low, if you don see white smoke during cold start, then it's better not to ride it or you might risk a piston jam. if that happens your wallet gonna bleed...

for more technical queries on TA150, pls post in the TA150 techinical thread, i believe Kev (moderator) will move this thread into the technical thread.

:cheers:

THANKS MAYTE:thumb::cheers:!...anywhoo,where is this ta150 technical thread.cant find it.:cheeky:

Found it mayte thanks again!

you are most welcomed :), a warm welcome to you in joining the phantom family! :cheers:

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

really blur.just took over a ta150 a couple of weeks back,wanna service it.but i dunno 1)what exactly needs to be serviced

2)and roughly hw much.am a student so hopin to kp costs minimal.also

3)so much talk abt 2t,wondering whats with all the mixing and ratios u guys talk abt.how do i do it??

4)cleaning air filter,someone said after a gd scrubbing,gotta charge it up with EO?is it 2t yr talking abt?and how do i charge it up ahaha

5) chain sounds loose,like a heavy clunking sound every time i change gears,does that mean its loose?and how do i tighten tht thing

6)wanna give my chain a good scrub,read that i should brush it up with kerosene,thn a soapy wash or something.thn lube it.im not sure wht it means by soapy wash like just soap it up and hose it down?and i dont have any car jacks or anything so am i supposed to do the roll-n-lube?

7)thinking of changing my rear tyre to pirelli city demon wonder where i can get e best price ahaha

8)lastly, WHERE THE HELL IS PLANET?????????seems outta this planet

would wanna attend the clinic but exams coming and i dont have a license yet just er,carpark riding,TP on e 21st.so i hope the ever helpful riders to shed some light on my foetal motorcycle mind.:cheeky:

diy....to keep cost down...

don have to spend an arm or leg to get ...top of the range consumables or parts..

once u pass...get the bike a EO and spark change...yeah if your tyres shot get it replaced..

and check the brakes/service...this is the minimum that i would do to an old bike...

if the bike is really bad...too much to repair at least u have a choice..

if u have to budget...take care as some bike have so many problems to fix or serviced that it may cost you many times over your purchase of a old secondhand bike...

since u have bought the bike before getting license......dont do anything yet....just keep it clean/play around in carpark...note 2 stroke engines best is to ride it everyday...

good .luck to your tp...come over to the clinic..we can discussed , check out the bike..

diy it.

1)just how much more powerful is a ta150 from a ta200?

i like the power and the price of ta150s but i just wanna know is it really noticeable, like is the pickup speed is much much faster?

2)and also, the top speed of phantoms, ta150 more or ta200 more?

3)what about handling wise, are they the same or different?

4)what the hell is 2T and how does it work?:/

5)what is YOUR personal preference, ta150 or ta200 and why?

6)if dont put basket at the back, does phantom have any other small storage areas like other bikes? like hidden areas anywhere on the bike? im pretty sure below the seat dont have but anywhere else? cause basket totally messes up the look of the bike and now i have this dilemma on where the heck to put my stuff or gotta always carry around a backpack when i ride...

7)i like to play around with bikes, especially cornering, pickup and just monkeying around(my bbdc bike crashbar scratched against the ground during s course lesson lol) but instead of buying the usual sp/krr im going for phantom cause of its awesome looks(without basket) and the sound. sp/krr sounds are so irritating. for a person like me, would you recommend ta150 or ta200? or and i also LOVE to travel long distances with my bike and camera so most probably will be using it for touring(up msia etc.) but of course touring not as often as playing around on the streets lah.(of course at abandoned roads at night when there is no traffic) i reckon gotta change or cut the footpegs right, if not always sure kena the road... how, ta150 or 200? which would be a better all round bike for playing on the street and touring?

edit, last qn: 8)after reading through some of the pages, i noticed that ta150 sometimes got alot of problems eh? cannot kickstart, knocking sound, white smoke etc etc. i know its an old bike but will it cost me a bomb to maintain? obviously best case scenario buy a bike which is very well maintained but if its not then im just afraid i wont be able to keep up in the financial department if the parts start to give way..

looking to buy a nice black ta150 soon, still new to the more technical parts of biking, thanks in advance for your time and help :)

really appreciate it.

Edited by aj182

only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.

-the cree people.

93' Honda xlr200

94' Suzuki gsxr400rr

07' Piaggio X9 250

02' Piaggio X9 200

hahah...

ta 150..its exhaust sound ...u wont like it..as it is a 2 stroker..

oh dear 2T?/ and u like to play bikes..u have no idea what is that? this is lubrication oil for the engine too,,mix with the petrol..off course the main lub is the EO ..4T..confused?

well a lot has been said about the maintenace issues of 2 strokers..

it seems that a miss conception somehow ppropagated by those who have never own a 2 stroker before...in fact a 2 stroker is more relaible than a 4 stroke engines..it has les parts/componenets to start with..

it doesnt have the valve trains an and the timing chains...so u see the 4 stroke engines have this...to maintain.

anyway...2 strokers are going to be history...not because it is bad..just that it cant meet the current emmission std....

power wsie the ta150 is twice that of ta200..theorectically...pick up and top speed ..it leaves the ta200 smelling the 2t in a race.

the only disadvantage is the fuel consumption ta150=20-25 km/L

ta200= 30-35 km/L..

handling is similar..

but the ta150 has less overheating problem compared to the ta200..because it has a water cooling system..so for touring this is a better choice..

if u like scrapping foot pegs...look for some other sprt bikes...choppers are no good at racing nor foot peg scrapping.

Ta150 is or those who like the simplicity of the design..and very soon they will become collectors items as no new 2 stroke bikes is avalable no.as they are no longer manufactured by most manufacturers. as strict environmental conditions makes it even more expensive to make one.

IMHO.

really blur.just took over a ta150 a couple of weeks back,wanna service it.but i dunno 1)what exactly needs to be serviced

3)so much talk abt 2t,wondering whats with all the mixing and ratios u guys talk abt.how do i do it??

4)cleaning air filter,someone said after a gd scrubbing,gotta charge it up with EO?is it 2t yr talking abt?and how do i charge it up ahaha

5) chain sounds loose,like a heavy clunking sound every time i change gears,does that mean its loose?and how do i tighten tht thing

6)wanna give my chain a good scrub,read that i should brush it up with kerosene,thn a soapy wash or something.thn lube it.im not sure wht it means by soapy wash like just soap it up and hose it down?and i dont have any car jacks or anything so am i supposed to do the roll-n-lube?

7)thinking of changing my rear tyre to pirelli city demon wonder where i can get e best price ahaha

8)wondering if ta150 needs 4T?????i dunno where to put it

9)lastly,MY BIKE FEELS LIKE ITS LOSING POWER.after sch today i went tothe carpark to let the engine run for abit.as usual i had to open choke cos the bike STARTS BUT THN DIES.THIS TIME ITS WORST.despite opening choke,the bike's rev(by feel) doesnt seem to be as powerful as before.and i quickly rode it around awhile.but after that(i closed choke when riding) its doesnt die at idle.BIKE THE BIKE FEELS like it lost power when at neutral gear. when riding it feels better but still..hmm...a little off... is it cos i have to top up my 2t?or something more serious:(.

10)can anyone tell me how i can tighten the chain???

11)anyone knows how much to service chain(clean,lube,tighten) and service fork?

PLSSSS HELPPP ANYONE!MEPKOH!OI MEPKOH!!HELP LAAAA!!:cry::cry::cry:

8)wondering if ta150 needs 4T?????i dunno where to put it

9)lastly,MY BIKE FEELS LIKE ITS LOSING POWER.after sch today i went tothe carpark to let the engine run for abit.as usual i had to open choke cos the bike STARTS BUT THN DIES.THIS TIME ITS WORST.despite opening choke,the bike's rev(by feel) doesnt seem to be as powerful as before.and i quickly rode it around awhile.but after that(i closed choke when riding) its doesnt die at idle.BIKE THE BIKE FEELS like it lost power when at neutral gear. when riding it feels better but still..hmm...a little off... is it cos i have to top up my 2t?or something more serious:(.

10)can anyone tell me how i can tighten the chain???

11)anyone knows how much to service chain(clean,lube,tighten) and service fork?

PLSSSS HELPPP ANYONE!MEPKOH!OI MEPKOH!!HELP LAAAA!!:cry::cry::cry:

wahhh... ok that is a giant list... first thing first... you can read up on the guide for new riders...

1. what needs to be serviced... you should replace worn parts... if you do not know which parts are worn, you can try let ah chong of planet motorcycles ride your bike... he should be able to list out most of the problems with your bike and also tell you which parts you should replace...

2. ah chong doesn't charge a ridiculous price... so far I haven't heard anyone complaining about his price... although all the items he might recommend you to replace can cost a few hundred dollars... they are probably necessary... chain and sprockets, tyres, fork seals alone would cost roughly $250...

3. 2t premix... it is about pouring some 2t oil into your petrol tank as well... some people do that just in case your 2t pump becomes faulty... without 2t in the engine the piston might jam and require an engine overhaul... so its good to pour a little 2t into the petrol tank...

4. refer to uncle mepkoh's post below...

5. if your chain's freeplay is more than 1 inch... it is loose... do NOT adjust it yourself... if you fail to tighten the axle nut sufficiently your wheel is gonna fly off... let ah chong have a look... I think your chain and sprocket probably need to be replaced... I just changed mine and they lasted only 25000km...

6. you can wipe your chain with an o-ring safe degreaser (such as maxima gt85, do NOT use wd40)... and lubricate your chain regularly with a chain lube... I lube my chain every 500km...

7. pirelli... no idea... you can try unique...

8. engine oil (4t oil) should be replaced every 2000km... since you probably don't know when your bike last changed its engine oil you might as well have it changed at planet... then you can see where to top up engine oil into your bike... people rarely change the engine oil themselved because engine oil cannot be disposed easily... have to dispose it at motorshops...

9. try let ah chong ride your bike and see what he has to say...

10. no I'm not gonna tell you :cheeky:

11. clean chain - do it yourself... lube chain - do it yourself... tighten chain - usually free... service fork seals... about $60

if you have more questions feel free to ask them... anyway welcome and enjoy your stay at the Phantom Knights forums :cheers:

Edited by VidaK
http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

ta 150 has a reusable foam filter...u dont need to change it every so many km..unless thefilter is falling apart..

just clean the filter with soap/detergent..dry it and "charge' it with alight coat of clean eo...aftr charging wring..yes wring the foam filter to ensure the excess eo is being squeeze out...we dont want a dripping oil filter.

ta 200 uses a paper filter they need to be change somewhere around 20,000 km or so.

what i would suggest is go to your fav mech and let him a once over..and listen to his advise what need to be change...

if there is abudget constrain do the items that directly affect ride safety ...

i would do a fluid change, spark plugs..tyres (if they are shot).,Chains and sprocket.. and others u can decide whether it is absolutely bto change.etc..etc..

ta 150 has a reusable foam filter...u dont need to change it every so many km..unless thefilter is falling apart..

just clean the filter with soap/detergent..dry it and "charge' it with alight coat of clean eo...aftr charging wring..yes wring the foam filter to ensure the excess eo is being squeeze out...we dont want a dripping oil filter.

ta 200 uses a paper filter they need to be change somewhere around 20,000 km or so.

what i would suggest is go to your fav mech and let him a once over..and listen to his advise what need to be change...

if there is abudget constrain do the items that directly affect ride safety ...

i would do a fluid change, spark plugs..tyres (if they are shot).,Chains and sprocket.. and others u can decide whether it is absolutely bto change.etc..etc..

oh... I didn't know that they use a different type of air filter... my bad... :cheeky:

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

thanks for all e help rendered by vidak and mepkoh.anw mepkoh,i heard tht coating the filter with EO'd ruin the filter's property...???