SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

do ur spark test first. Starter motor is fine and can engage starter clutch. could be just weather cold also. Also try open throttle slightly while cranking. If start easier meaning just a/f issue or just too cold.

just did the spark test, orange in colour but not very strong spark.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just did the spark test, orange in colour but not very strong spark.

Then you just saved $300. If battery still strong, try pulling out the choke, and increase the idle throttle screw and start.

Else, do a push start and see whether it works.

thank matthias, do you know any mech that does all this accessory thing? not sure if all mechs really willing to do this kind of stuff?

Tot I replied le... My bad. This o-ring very easy to install yourself.

1. Remove mounting screws on speedo cover.

2. Lift up speedo and remove speedo cable (screw type) using a long nose plier

3. Use scissor cut away the old o-ring.

4. Slip the new o-ring over the speedo like how you would slowly "unroll" a condom.

5. install back speedo cable

6. install back speedo cover.

Most mech would do it. I ask around and was quoted 40sgd. In the end i decided to buy 1 at FJT and DIY myself.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My Phantom's having some serious problems, can't ride it safely for now. Could you guys please help me out ...?

1. My bike very hard to downshift in lower gears (Gear 1-3), must stomp very hard,

2. Even when I clutch in fully in Gear 1, it moves off by itself. Sometimes even when off killswitch & clutched fully in, bike's still in gear 1, push abit got grinding sound.

3. Very hard to find neutral, must wait for engine to off for a while before it can.

EO was changed 2 months ago. Checked at my usual shop & they said must change gearbox, $800-1000, but found it strange since I can still change gears at higher gears?

Friend helped me adjust my clutch cable, but it was a stopgap measure, problems came back in full force shortly after.

I'll likely need to tow somewhere, any recommendations as to the possible problems & recommendations for bike shop? I live in the west. Tried checking the forums but couldn't find anything that's similar enough ...

Thanks in advance for your help!

I keep thinking it's a clutch freeplay issue even u say yr friend adjust yr clutch cable liao. How much free play in your clutch lever anyway? Look in the DIY thread in the stickies on this and hope this is the only issue..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Hi guys,

My Phantom's having some serious problems, can't ride it safely for now. Could you guys please help me out ...?

1. My bike very hard to downshift in lower gears (Gear 1-3), must stomp very hard,

2. Even when I clutch in fully in Gear 1, it moves off by itself. Sometimes even when off killswitch & clutched fully in, bike's still in gear 1, push abit got grinding sound.

3. Very hard to find neutral, must wait for engine to off for a while before it can.

EO was changed 2 months ago. Checked at my usual shop & they said must change gearbox, $800-1000, but found it strange since I can still change gears at higher gears?

Friend helped me adjust my clutch cable, but it was a stopgap measure, problems came back in full force shortly after.

I'll likely need to tow somewhere, any recommendations as to the possible problems & recommendations for bike shop? I live in the west. Tried checking the forums but couldn't find anything that's similar enough ...

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Describe your throttle position when you attempt to downshift. Is the throttle fully closed?

2. Sounds like your clutch is still engaged.

3. ^

Try adjusting your clutch cable again...pull your biting point further out. When you say 'problems came back', did your biting point 'move' back in? Try to observe whether your biting point is moving 'in', 'in' being closer to your grip (i.e. release a bit of clutch and it engages), and 'out' being further from your grip (need to release more of the clutch handle before it engages).

Hopefully this solves your problems, although your stomping of your first 3 gears has most likely caused some damage. You can upshift without the clutch if you time it right, but downshifts hurt your transmission. If you've been stomping for a long time, the damage will be worse. Try listening to your bike when you're in the 1st 3 gears; any extra sound in that gear, or a loss of power in that gear is a pretty good indication that you have a worn gear.

If it doesn't solve your problem (your problem still comes back but your biting point remains at the same clutch lever position), then...like what your mechanic said...need to change your transmission gears.

As for why you can change gears normally at higher gears, take a look at how a motorcycle gearbox works:

or a simpler one:

You'll notice the sprockets that shift for each gear are different in both videos. But this should at least educate you on how it is possible for just 3 of your 6 gears to develop a problem.

hi guys,

my back left suspension seems to "ring" when i hit certain rpm, is this a cause for concern or no problem?

By this do you mean your left fork, or your left rear shock? Sounds like a loose nut/bolt/screw.

Motorcycle_Transmission_Gear_Motorcycle_GearBOX_XR400.jpg

Postman Eating Inc*

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/murano04sfs/38y29ty14.gif

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/155006-1/Mascot_scares_girl.gif

Squid defination: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

Hey guys,

my speedometer mileage is spoil not moving at all.

Riding the new type Fire edition Ta200 phantom.

Do i really have to change the whole speedometer?

Most probably your speedocable have snapped, just bring to the shop to double confirm, for a Speedo cable I done at Lee Huat Motors was about $18

Sent from my HTC Desire 820s dual sim using Tapatalk

Most probably your speedocable have snapped, just bring to the shop to double confirm, for a Speedo cable I done at Lee Huat Motors was about $18

Sent from my HTC Desire 820s dual sim using Tapatalk

my speedometer mileage last digit (which is left side) is moving only..

so still do with the speedocable?

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

when i fast throttle and change gear, usually around gear 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6, i will feel a loss of power before the power comes back.

doesn't seem to have this problem if i change gear slowly, any gurus can help!

hi guys,

when i fast throttle and change gear, usually around gear 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6, i will feel a loss of power before the power comes back.

doesn't seem to have this problem if i change gear slowly, any gurus can help!

check your throttle opening from slight opening to wide open while revving. If the revs are not a gradual pickup but lags before pickup, should be carb adjustment, dependant it is a lean lag or a rich lag. Drain out yr carb bowl as described in DIY thread.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bros / Sis,

Does anybody know how much to do a full overhaul for TA 200 ?

Left 4 months COE only but milleage 76000 + still deciding whether to Overhaual.

Need some advice frm u ppl becoze my workshop told me it will cost 500+ for just top overhaul.

I think it is high for 200cc

2000 - 2002 RXZ

2002 - 2004 Spec II Super Four

2004 - 2005 1000cc GSXR K3

2005 - 2006 600cc GSXR K4

2008 - 2009 'S' Version Super Four

2010 - 2011 Suzuki GSR 600cc

2015 - Yamaha XJR 1300

• 5 weeks later...