SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[DIY] How to cosmetically modify the Phantom?

gsenomics

Anyone know whether there are any 12V missile launchers? Feel like installing one and shoot the bxxtards out of the roads. I May buy 4, 2 to shoot behind for those who love to tailgate me....I already keeping to left most lane, want me to ride on the grass verge/ pedestrian walkway is it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone knows any contact person for phantom ta200 side panniers with chrome rear crash bar mount?

Did saw quite a few varieties of side panniers at Aunty Shop in Ubi. As for rear crashbar, you need to search whether her shop does carry. I've never thought of mounting so I didn't look hard enough.

I was thinking of fixing a side pannier too...maybe de GIVI E21. Do I need to shift the rear signal light?

Also, if I shift the signal light to the number plate do I need to extend the wire?

I am anti-GIVI guy. Cos Kappa is the same specs and same company but significantly lower price.

You may not need to shift the rear blinkers depending how how you mount the side panniers. With Sliding locks on a top box rack, probably don't need. But if you are mounting directly on the chrome garnishes, you need to shift the signal lights to the rear to accommodate. There's a DIY thread portion how how to install the panniers without shifting lights.

Also, if you need to shift the blinkers, you need to extend the wire and run it above your rear fender(underneath the seat) for maximum aesthetic value.

Have fun DIY!!

I am anti-GIVI guy. Cos Kappa is the same specs and same company but significantly lower price.

You may not need to shift the rear blinkers depending how how you mount the side panniers. With Sliding locks on a top box rack, probably don't need. But if you are mounting directly on the chrome garnishes, you need to shift the signal lights to the rear to accommodate. There's a DIY thread portion how how to install the panniers without shifting lights.

Also, if you need to shift the blinkers, you need to extend the wire and run it above your rear fender(underneath the seat) for maximum aesthetic value.

Have fun DIY!!

Hi matthias76...u mean Kappa has the same design like the Givi E21? Thanks for your advise...

Btw I do have a Givi rack for my rear box but decided to remove it...trying to go for the clean look without the rear box..

But the rack bracket is still dangling on side chrome garnish cos the bolt is too long...

There's an identical model K21 ($220 with rack @ Aunty Shop Ubi). Uses exactly the same rack and can be fitted on existing GIVI racks. Change out your bolts, just bring them to the bolts/nut shop behind the coffeeshop infront of LAB. You can use stainless steel bolts which are my favorite (Cheap and good). I've almost change out every bolt and nut in my TA200 to SS versions.

There's an identical model K21 ($220 with rack @ Aunty Shop Ubi). Uses exactly the same rack and can be fitted on existing GIVI racks. Change out your bolts, just bring them to the bolts/nut shop behind the coffeeshop infront of LAB. You can use stainless steel bolts which are my favorite (Cheap and good). I've almost change out every bolt and nut in my TA200 to SS versions.

But I read somewhere, the Ah Boy is selling the Givi E21 for $180 wif installation...but then again I'm not a regular at Ah Boy's, maybe will kena carrot...

But I read somewhere, the Ah Boy is selling the Givi E21 for $180 wif installation...but then again I'm not a regular at Ah Boy's, maybe will kena carrot...

If that's the case, then maybe you can consider Ah Boy. The usual word of caution, his installation is not outside the shop, and last I know was at a workshop he owns near Geylang Ave 9. His style of business is pay first do later so you may run into problems when you have a dispute on how the box is installed or the condition of the box thereafter. Waiting time is also something I dread at his shop, both at the point of purchase as well as when you are at the workshop waiting for installation. Handiwork is my main grouse with them. I rather buy and install myself slowly, then let them try to "whack the box in place".

But then again, things may have already changed, and I could be just plain biased.

Anyone know where can i change my engine cover? I want to find a new and shiny one. is it possible? also, i might want to spray black. is it feasible?

Are you talking about the honeycomb or the crankcase covers?

Hey guys, just got myself a really beat up TA200. Bought it as a project bike. Planning to do it up from top to bottom. Any input from veteran modders will be much appreciated. Any tips on where to go for which mods will be useful. I usually prefer to DIY my bikes.

Edited by Revenant83

Hey guys, just got myself a really beat up TA200. Bought it as a project bike. Planning to do it up from top to bottom. Any input from veteran modders will be much appreciated. Any tips on where to go for which mods will be useful. I usually prefer to DIY my bikes.

Depends on what your preferred style is, as well as which gen (1 or 2) the TA200 is.

The non conventional items can be bought from ebay/ aunty shop ubi. Original parts from FJT/ Everfit/ Eversuccess.

Useful mods? If you are riding a Gen 1, I reckon fork covers are one of the more useful mods. You can actually buy the Gen 2 original fork covers and fit them on a Gen 1. If your key iginition/fuel cap/front steering lock are all messed up, then getting a new complete set of locks (1 key) is also a useful mod.

Thanks Matthias.

Mine is a Gen 1 and I'm trying to cosmetically modify the exterior so it doesnt look like your everyday run of the mill Phantom.

I would definitely like to get the fork covers you mentioned. I've already ordered some of the accessories from eBay. Will check out the stores you mentioned as well.

I'm now looking to do the following

1) install raised clip on handlebars

2) cut and reshape the fender and mudguard

3) remove logo from tank, repair dents and full respray

4) forward control mod if possible

I also have a question on the power delivery of the bike. During initial acceleration when shifting up gears, the bike pulls slowly at first and then suddenly surges. Is this normal for this model?

Another thing is backfiring. It backfires a lot and really loudly when decelerating. (really loud mini explosions) Ah Chong from Planet Motors says its normal but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and help

I've no idea about the sudden surge but I believe it's not normal.

It's not normal for the backfire to happen so often. He was probably lazy to troubleshoot your bike? :lol:

Check out my experience... start reading from here: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/199965-Technical-Possible-Solutions-to-your-Phantom-s-Problem?p=8210898&viewfull=1#1672

Thanks Matthias.

Mine is a Gen 1 and I'm trying to cosmetically modify the exterior so it doesnt look like your everyday run of the mill Phantom.

I would definitely like to get the fork covers you mentioned. I've already ordered some of the accessories from eBay. Will check out the stores you mentioned as well.

I also have a question on the power delivery of the bike. During initial acceleration when shifting up gears, the bike pulls slowly at first and then suddenly surges. Is this normal for this model?

Another thing is backfiring. It backfires a lot and really loudly when decelerating. (really loud mini explosions) Ah Chong from Planet Motors says its normal but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Sudden surge is because ur pilot circuit over lean or rich. Either carb got issue or need to tune. Thats why u keep backfirng. When u open throttle slowly its lag response then surge or immediate throttle response then surge?

I suggest also changing ur air filter spark plugs first before further troubleshooting.

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Sudden surge is because ur pilot circuit over lean or rich. Either carb got issue or need to tune. Thats why u keep backfirng.

When u open throttle slowly its lag response then surge or immediate throttle response then surge?

Definitely lag before surge

I suggest also changing ur air filter spark plugs first before further troubleshooting.

air filter looks clean and good. Spark plug is new .

Thanks man. Really appreciate your tips

Edited by Revenant83

Thanks Matthias.

Backfiring could also be due to this part - Air Suction Valve. Cost around $65 to $80 to replace. But Gen 1 seemed to be very affected by this problem. My old Gen 1 changed once and was ok for a while, then it came back again.

airsuckvalve.png

Surging could also be due to your riding style/ clutch cable. 'Throwing' clutch or clutch cable worn (uneven lengthening) causes your clutch to be released prematurely hence a sudden "too fast too furious" surge forward.

1. Raised clips meaning higher risers? Becareful of the heght to raise as weel as the handlebars. Your clutch/ fuel throttle line, brake line/hoses may not be long enough or could be tensioned too much. Shouldn't be a problem if you send to shop to do, but if you DIY, these are things to look out for.

2. A "mini-skirt" fender and mudguard looks nice but beware of upward spray of water. I broke my fender once and water was literally spraying upwards and backward towards me.

3. Repair dents not so sure if anyone still do this. If you find a service, do share with the rest of us. Otherwise, maybe cheaper to just get a better condition one from scrapyard. Tian Lei has one to sell, dunno whether he has sold it.

4. Forward control is possible. Mine is a forward control. Fabricated at Aunty Shop Ubi. Total damage about $380, IIRC.

Thanks man. Really appreciate your tips

If I'm correct u are running rich now. Try emptying the carb bowl if u are attempting to tune also - try to follow idle drop. If u want to be sure perform idle drop procedure.

Air suction v/v as mentioned by matthias is also possible, but since you mention there's a lag in throttle response, u may wan to check if ur carb need to service also.

Wrt to the air filter part, clean is subjective. Original new filter is translucent to light. If saturated but not contaiminated by dust that much u will see a dirty yellow filter instead and light will not pass through.

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a newbie which my 2B TP date coming 2 weeks. I'm getting my Phantom this coming Monday. Since my bike is gg to idle at the parking lot for 2 weeks, thinking to do some touch up on it. Any shop recommendation for checking services and painting a new color to my bike? This thread starts from 2009 and info getting lesser as Phantom getting older, wonder still much Phantom lover out there or just treat as transport :)