SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Small bike on PG

rhema83

Is riding a small bike (eg. 125cc, 150cc) on PG track very "ridiculous" and makes you a &q  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Is riding a small bike (eg. 125cc, 150cc) on PG track very "ridiculous" and makes you a &q

• YES, you racer-wannabe! Go get yourself a 600cc first!
    • NO, nothing wrong what...
    • I DON'T KNOW, what is track?

Originally posted by fleaz@Jan 17 2006, 03:01 PM

i'm riding a phantom now. i'm interested to go down to the track and i know phantom isn't exactly the bike to bring down to the track. so should i get a 125cc/150cc sportbike now or wait till 2a and get a 400cc sportbike?

I totally agree with you. A phantom is out of the question. Playing with a 2B or 2A bike is up to you. Bigger bikes mean more maintainence. Well, she devil is riding a kips and she's doing nearly 2 mins. At the end of the day, it's your skill that matters.

RIDE SAFELY ON THE ROAD, BURN RUBBER AT THE TRACK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rongx@Jan 16 2006, 05:32 PM

thats a sweet pic of the white hornet going low! i wish i could do that. somehow feel my bike ergonomics not really helping out. or mayb its juz the tyres. hahahahahaha.

haha.. thanks~! :sweat: actually my bike is silver.. :cheeky:

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

Originally posted by fleaz@Jan 17 2006, 03:01 PM

i'm riding a phantom now. i'm interested to go down to the track and i know phantom isn't exactly the bike to bring down to the track. so should i get a 125cc/150cc sportbike now or wait till 2a and get a 400cc sportbike?

if u r really tat interested to go down.. y not ? any bike can go.. but the thing is whether u wil enjoy it.. cos u noe a phantom is not really meant for the track..

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

Originally posted by Father John@Jan 17 2006, 06:04 PM

Well, she devil is riding a kips and she's doing nearly 2 mins. At the end of the day, it's your skill that matters.

totally agree.

u can use the best bikes and tyres.

but if your skills not there also no point...

"at the end of the day, it's still the rider..."

• 2 weeks later...

A track is meant for you to speed legally. It does not matter what bike you ride, because you pay for the track as well, just like any gsx or cbr riders do. You are there to enjoy the track just like anyone else. Be it a vespa or phantom, so long as you don't kick other riders, it's fine, lol.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/gnayed/n641300248_3172135_77.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by KeraKing@Feb 17 2006, 04:59 PM

funny thing is, i can speed faster on pie than at PG.. haha

and another thing, At PIE, TP can SAMAN u but at PG not.... haha....

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/danny2913/1.jpg

Where is RaaZ Now???

Life Is A Journey... Enjoy The Trip...

• 1 month later...

never to small to track :) i do everything from underbone to 600s ... to be honest, smaller more fun, much higher corner speed, and less cautious as dont have to worry about wallet so much ;) its on the small bike that one should learn techniques etc.

if you have a 150cc kawasaki bike of any year, we're starting a new race in sepang round 1 april 15, saturday. will be fun, same grid as 125z and RXZ 135 strokers!

Escargot>

What are your thoughts regarding the differences of rider weight on lap times for small cc bikes (say 150's) as compare to the larger bikes (600/750/1000cc). I'm quite confident that on bigger bikes a heavier rider has little disadvantage but how about on a small bike?

Any heavy riders doing well in the small cc races? I noticed many of the fast cub riders are around or under 60kgs. How will an 85kg "pilot" affect things.

I'm not talking about just for fun here but in a purely competitive race context. I know regardless of size small bikes are great fun on the track.

My ride for 2012 - Yamaha WR250X 2008

Previous rides:

ROAD/FUN: Honda Sonic, VTR250, Kawa Z1000 & Kawa KSR110, Suzuki Savage

SPORT: Kawa ZXR400, Suzuki SV650, Honda CBR600F3 & CBR929RR, Aprilia RS125 & RS250,

DIRT: Honda XR200 & XR600L, DRZ-400SM, DRZ-400-S, GasGas EC200, KTM 200 EXC & 250EXC-F, Tricker

Pics @ http://www.bikepics.com/members/axxis/

me same as escargot d smller bike d fun it is, faster cornering entry speed.

me start off on mbx125 on 1990 den tried rxz den my nsr250 but i still love more my wave 100 for race more fun.

Abt weight not too sure coz me also less 60 kg hehehe advantage not too much even manvir from extreme hard for me to pass his tzr during race days

For info during asia rd race i remmber in 2000 n 2001 d gp125 bikes r clocking d same time as d R6 1'36 - fastest

http://www.geocities.com/hirman88/wave100.jpg

good question man. here's my own learnings from it:

a. indeed the msian cubprix guys are between 40-60kg.

b. then you have ahmad fuad baharudin being FIM Asia's #2 Supersports guys at 65kg, he finished 4th in cubprix last 2005 season.

c. then 2 weeks ago at batu kawan round 1, an all time truth was dispelled when suhadi who just the evening before told me he is 84kg (not joking), led the expert race (125z) till the very last lap, and finished second only because of his carb/throttle gave in on T3 which allowed norizman to exit faster. even then norizman finished less than half a second ahead of suhadi, 0.382s to be precise! woooaahh!!!

so, generally speaking, heavier riders have a disadvantage, but suhadi (green suit in photo from link above) has proven than perhaps on certain circuits its not true. batu kawan on the other hand is one of the fastest circuits on the msian cubprix calender.

Great response, Thanks heaps for the examples.

I guess the key is maintaining momentum because the pentaly to any loss of speed is much more severe for a heavier rider. I think the idea of the one make Kawasaki cup is fantastic. Good luck!

Previous rides:

SPORT: Kawa ZXR400, Suzuki SV650, Honda CBR600F3 & CBR929RR, Aprilia RS125 & RS250,

DIRT: Honda XR200 & XR600L, DRZ-400SM, DRZ-400-S, GasGas EC200, KTM 200 EXC & 250EXC-F, Tricker

anytime thx axxis, i love to share as i am actually a relative rookie having only started biking seriously on track in oct 2004 on the kips. then moved to the R6 in april, and raced 2 weeks later, oh how i suffered, lol! only after that discovered the wonders of underbone and how much one can learn from it, relatively safer as well.

turning in faster, rolling on corner speed, and gassing out early are the keys to better riding, small or big bikes, its the same. in all honesty here in sepang's north track, cheah tat cheong, ahmad fuad and abdul rahim (all FIM riders) do 1:08s consistently on their 600cc FIM training bikes with stock eveything, including suspension, save an akra pipe. vs the sbks who do 1:09s on their fully moded RM140-160k liter bikes. its not the sheer hp that matters, its how you use whats available. no point gaining 10hp just to do faster on straights that just 20secs out of the total race time. having usable, friendly power in the corners is much better.

ahmad fuad btw does 1:19s on his 125z in sepang's north circuit :D

Originally posted by escargot@Apr 4 2006, 05:41 PM

anytime thx axxis, i love to share as i am actually a relative rookie having only started biking seriously on track in oct 2004 on the kips. then moved to the R6 in april, and raced 2 weeks later, oh how i suffered, lol! only after that discovered the wonders of underbone and how much one can learn from it, relatively safer as well.

turning in faster, rolling on corner speed, and gassing out early are the keys to better riding, small or big bikes, its the same. in all honesty here in sepang's north track, cheah tat cheong, ahmad fuad and abdul rahim (all FIM riders) do 1:08s consistently on their 600cc FIM training bikes with stock eveything, including suspension, save an akra pipe. vs the sbks who do 1:09s on their fully moded RM140-160k liter bikes. its not the sheer hp that matters, its how you use whats available. no point gaining 10hp just to do faster on straights that just 20secs out of the total race time. having usable, friendly power in the corners is much better.

ahmad fuad btw does 1:19s on his 125z in sepang's north circuit :D

Yeah I agree... That's why I bought the RS250.

The 929 has too much power for me to handle (low skill level) so I end up slowing down alot for corners.

I had an RS125 previously but I found it too lacking in power and subsequently blew it up due to overrevving it searching for some more pull. :p

Somewhere in between should be just nice. Hope to have the bike ready to test out at PG soon.

Last time I weighed myself I was about 82kgs. Not sure if I'm up or down but in 2004 my weight varied between 86kgs to 74kg (huge variation I know but I lost a heap of weight during an intense running phase I went through). At 184cm underbone bikes are just too small for me. I even look ridiculously big on my CBR150.

Previous rides:

wow, you're tall dude. i'm only 172cm but 74kg, yikes! going thru an intense triathlon phase (training for fitness only, very slow at everything) to try to lose weight, but its not happening, arrgghhhh!!!

a 250 is very nice as its light & nimble, you learn corner speed and everything. just try to minimise the mods if possible coz if the engine seizes and the crank goes, in msia thats a RM4-5k hole in the wallet. i really wanted to race 250s this year as its the closest thing to 600s (save the engine braking), but after calculating costs for an entire season (race spec bike and maintenance), it will cost me more to run the quater liter so backed off.

Originally posted by escargot@Apr 5 2006, 09:38 AM

wow, you're tall dude. i'm only 172cm but 74kg, yikes! going thru an intense triathlon phase (training for fitness only, very slow at everything) to try to lose weight, but its not happening, arrgghhhh!!!

a 250 is very nice as its light & nimble, you learn corner speed and everything. just try to minimise the mods if possible coz if the engine seizes and the crank goes, in msia thats a RM4-5k hole in the wallet. i really wanted to race 250s this year as its the closest thing to 600s (save the engine braking), but after calculating costs for an entire season (race spec bike and maintenance), it will cost me more to run the quater liter so backed off.

Yeah, won't be modding the bike and will be trying to keep it under control as far as revs go. Basically my inention is to learn to increase my corner speed and brake less so I don't need to accelerate as hard out of the turns. Still very much a newbie.

As for the weight loss... it was a "to prove it could be done" thing.

Ran 10-12km every second night as well as other exercise (lots of blading) combined with zero sugar intake, no coffee, tea, coke etc. No butter, marg or fatty foods. Lots of chicken breast, fish soup, canned tuna and raw vegies. And just 1 indulgent meal per weekend. Basically lost 1kg per week without fail. I had a shoulder injury (torn rotator cuff) so I couldn't do anything except running, blading etc.

Now I've put most of it back on but it's all fat whereas previously it was more muscle mass. Intend to hit the gym again soon but the shoulder will never fully recover without serious surgery. It's ok so long as I don't try to push heavy weights though.

='(

Previous rides:

holy camoly dude! when you come up, or i go down, we go cycling ... less risk and danger than on track .. then again on a busy road who knows huh :)

thx for the advice, i will take it and see if i can drop some. 68kg would be nice, 6kg off, ouch!

on corner speed, practice on track only, roll, roll, and roll. start slowly, give yourself 2-3 months, dont rush. once it comes, you will fly!

additional bits dude, i'm not fast either, learning myself. upon corner approach:

a. move body to start lean WHILE starting to brake. not one after another, will be too slow. at same time, look at where you wanna go, pick one point in the corner entry.

b. whatever you're doing, like braking, just tell yourself you're too slow. so for example, remind yourself to stop braking earlier and roll into the corner in relaxed fashion first month. at this point, your eyes should be on mid corner/apex already. even moving on bike, tell yourself you're too slow, move faster, nimble, like badminton, left right, right left, chop chop!

c. once you're comfy in the lean and corner, start gassing, SLOWLY first. over time you will discover you gas much earlier, more, and corner faster. especially on two strokes where there is no engine braking, its so sweet!

buy keith code books, start with the 2nd one first, then read the first one. do one to two chapters each outing on track. then slowly piece it all together. afterall we're amateurs, take it a step at a time, and all the time you need. take care of that shoulder bud! :D