SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Bikes that cut you

arthur_chan

So To All Riders There Riding Cubs, The Next Time You See A Guy On A Pulsar, Make Sure You Signal Early & Smile & Wave At Him That You Wanna Overtake Him & When You're Done Overtaking Him, Turn Around & Shout Thank You.

Hand signal?????? :lol:

http://www.ottsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/img_0993-800x600.jpg

-Shut the whining,get out on the roads more often and live with it

-It happens all the time(lorry cut bus,bus cut car,car cut bikes,bikes cut bikes,bikes cut cyclist,cyclist cut pedestrian):dot:

-Its better off this thread being closed:thumb:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am riding along the expressway, exiting left, seeing a bike/car be it a Chinese/Indian/Malay/Japanese/Korean/Russian/German/English/American (you get my point) I will overtake him to exit. I don't understand if you are 70-80km/h on extreme left, why are you so *****y over people overtaking you to exit left? Expressway is meant for fast commuting.... If you can't keep up the speed, at least allow others to do so...

Don't quote traffic laws verbatim. Likewise, don't apply driving school theories to the real world/road.

Or put simply, be streetsmart, not exam smart.

Spouting traffic campaign ads like "speeding kills" bla bla bla only gets you feel good brownie points. The real world is harsher than that.

The ironic thing is to ride by the book at 80kph and get run over by a speeding truck from behind.

Sometimes you have to use your brains and improvise.

I'll say, that is only part of the truth. I have no love for local traffic campaign but I respect that when you are speeding excessively, it takes a similarly excessive amount of time to perform an emergency braking, also there is the risk of locking brakes if the bike isn't equipped with ABS. I've lost a uncle to speed and hence my advise.

While on the road, not all are driving/riding at 100km/h. I've noticed, albeit recently that there are cars and bikes driving/riding at maximum speed limit while on lane 2 and 3. This, others have to give way by overtaking (dangerously or no) without any high beams or horning. This shows that Singaporeans still have respect for the maximum speed limit. Hence my advice on riding at 80km/h to 90km/h, that is the maximum speed limit for lower and upper PIE, yes?

Even while on KPE, users almost stick at 70km/h++.

The way I see it, the maximum safety speed is 100km/h. Anything higher will be unsafe for Singapore roads. I've also seen a rider sped pass me at 130km/h-140km/h on the freeway, only to collide with another vehicle infront.

That seems to be to be, real world enough.

Also for the racial hate, don't you guys think that is enough already? Harmony breeds prosperity so calm down, take a step back, accept the apology (or demand another) instead of going in circles just to spit out hurtful comments?

Racial tolerance is the key.

I'm a Tutor! Proud to be one!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/lexanez/IMG_0008.jpg

i think some of you dont know where i'm going with this. all the lessons with driving center are forgotten: slowing down, keep left, exit early, dont anyhow overtake, check blind spot, etc. thus with the scene if i were a truck, nobody dares to do that stunt, i'm wondering why it's ok with a bike. some of you guys may be ok with killing another life and sleep peacefully, i'm not, i killed a frog accidently once and it bothered me for weeks, i even prayed for the poor soul to have a good place up there.
I do believe you have riding for quite sometime. A few years maybe? All these happen on an everyday basis. What we learn at the centre is just for us to get that hard piece of card. Take taxi drivers for example. They have alot of experiences on the roads. But do they follow what was taught at driving centres? :faint:

ias for the whole racist thing, i never revealed my race, for all you know, i could be a malay, so a malay saying a malay is racist? and i wondered how many of you have met me in person to know i'm chinese. well if any of you still feel strongly about it, i would suggest getting a mod to judge. as said earlier, if mod feels i'm wrong, and feels i should deserve warning points, i gladly accept. no use arguing about it since it will never come to an end.
In future try not to post indicating a certain race or religion of a person. Is it a need to state so? Its alright for coffeeshop talk among friends but not on a public forum. :cool:

KRGT-1

I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

I do believe you have riding for quite sometime. A few years maybe? All these happen on an everyday basis. What we learn at the centre is just for us to get that hard piece of card. Take taxi drivers for example. They have alot of experiences on the roads. But do they follow what was taught at driving centres? :faint:

In future try not to post indicating a certain race or religion of a person. Is it a need to state so? Its alright for coffeeshop talk among friends but not on a public forum. :cool:

I concur. And that, is the nicest advice so far I've seen.

I'll say, that is only part of the truth. I have no love for local traffic campaign but I respect that when you are speeding excessively, it takes a similarly excessive amount of time to perform an emergency braking, also there is the risk of locking brakes if the bike isn't equipped with ABS. I've lost a uncle to speed and hence my advise.

While on the road, not all are driving/riding at 100km/h. I've noticed, albeit recently that there are cars and bikes driving/riding at maximum speed limit while on lane 2 and 3. This, others have to give way by overtaking (dangerously or no) without any high beams or horning. This shows that Singaporeans still have respect for the maximum speed limit. Hence my advice on riding at 80km/h to 90km/h, that is the maximum speed limit for lower and upper PIE, yes?

Even while on KPE, users almost stick at 70km/h++.

The way I see it, the maximum safety speed is 100km/h. Anything higher will be unsafe for Singapore roads. I've also seen a rider sped pass me at 130km/h-140km/h on the freeway, only to collide with another vehicle infront.

That seems to be to be, real world enough.

Also for the racial hate, don't you guys think that is enough already? Harmony breeds prosperity so calm down, take a step back, accept the apology (or demand another) instead of going in circles just to spit out hurtful comments?

Racial tolerance is the key.

No one is advocating reckless riding or speeding.

Go with the flow, or slightly faster if you're lane splitting.

If everyone else is doing 100kph even on the left lane, then your doing 70 - 80kph and proclaiming that you're a law abiding citizen and everyone else is a criminal cutting you left and right, is bluntly put, stupid. As I said, use judgment. Going slow isn't always the right thing to do. In some cases it is plain wrong.

And road hogs are the worst, no matter what lane they're in. For this I'm clear. If a road hog stands his ground, cut his ass off abruptly. :D

Edited by DeusExMachina
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

No one is advocating reckless riding or speeding.

Go with the flow, or slightly faster if you're lane splitting.

If everyone else is doing 100kph even on the left lane, then your doing 70 - 80kph and proclaiming that you're a law abiding citizen and everyone else is a criminal cutting you left and right, is bluntly put, stupid. As I said, we judgment. Going slow isn't always the right thing to do. In some cases it is plain wrong.

And road hogs are the worse, no matter what lane they're in. For this I'm clear. If a road hog stands his ground, cut his ass off abruptly. :D

Of course, that makes pretty much sense but however the question is "if" everybody is doing 100km/h which is pretty much impossible. The speed limit is in place for a purpose, that is to deter excessive speeding.

I don't advocate riding within the speed limit but rather riding at the maximum legal speed limit and perhaps +10km/h which pretty much says 100km/h is the maximum suitable speed for Singapore freeways.

Slow moving vehicles are limited to the leftmost lanes which already indicated that lane 3 is for vehicles moving within the speed limit and out of bounds to vehicles moving at or beyond the maximum speed limit. After all, not all vehicles have the same speed threshold, especially military vehicles. I don't think you would cut a MID vehicle on the leftmost lane? That would not be a right thing to do.

So if you wish to travel at a faster speed, go to the middle or the rightmost lane and not the lane reserved for slow moving vehicles.

Slow moving vehicles are limited to the leftmost lanes which already indicated that lane 3 is for vehicles moving within the speed limit and out of bounds to vehicles moving at or beyond the maximum speed limit. After all, not all vehicles have the same speed threshold, especially military vehicles. I don't think you would cut a MID vehicle on the leftmost lane? That would not be a right thing to do.

So if you wish to travel at a faster speed, go to the middle or the rightmost lane and not the lane reserved for slow moving vehicles.

I think you clearly mistaken the debate point here. If I'm riding at 100km/h or even 200km/h, of course I keep at Lane 1 or 2. But If I going to exit from the expressway, I do have to keep left to exit. Doesn't mean I see a vehicle travelling at 60km/h on a 90km/h on the Left Lane = I need to be behind him/her right??? Please check your day to day riding before debating the point. And for your info, I believe 99.9% will overtake MID vehicles on expressway, you being the 0.1% I guess...

Its funny how those with more than 1000 posts sit on one side of the fence and those less than 1000 posts sit on the other side of the fence.

In my opinion, something must be wrong with TS riding. Always a Malay on a kapcai will cut him. People rarely cut me. They just overtake me. That's all. If people keep cutting me then something must definitely be wrong with my riding if that were to happen.

i could be a malay, so a malay saying a malay is racist?

By the way, this is still considered racist.

Edited by crazydj

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

I think you clearly mistaken the debate point here. If I'm riding at 100km/h or even 200km/h, of course I keep at Lane 1 or 2. But If I going to exit from the expressway, I do have to keep left to exit. Doesn't mean I see a vehicle travelling at 60km/h on a 90km/h on the Left Lane = I need to be behind him/her right??? Please check your day to day riding before debating the point. And for your info, I believe 99.9% will overtake MID vehicles on expressway, you being the 0.1% I guess...

Um, I think that is the point. You'll definitely slow down before exiting, yes? This brings down to a speed of 80km/h or lower and of course you'll overtake the dude infront of you if there is enough safety distance, otherwise, I believed due to safety concerns you will stay behind the dude. Unless of course, you just wish to cut him, thereby endangering both yourself and the poor bloke.

Yep, most will overtake a MID vehicle but none will cut it.

nobody will cut off vehicles travelling slowly at the left lane.

that is what the lane is for.

the word is overtake.

overtake and cut off are 2 different things.

Yup, true. That is the whole point of the leftmost lane.

Um, I think that is the point. You'll definitely slow down before exiting, yes? This brings down to a speed of 80km/h or lower and of course you'll overtake the dude infront of you if there is enough safety distance, otherwise, I believed due to safety concerns you will stay behind the dude. Unless of course, you just wish to cut him, thereby endangering both yourself and the poor bloke.

TS Has Chosen To Keep Quiet, I Guess Its Your Turn Now Dude. Coz You'll Just Keep This Thread Going On & On & On & More People Are Gonna Read It & Comment.

Edited by Lim Ah Wan

Well, I think it is pointless to teach goldfish to climb tree or monkey to swim... Ride as what you deem is right. Next time if I do overtake you or rather your sense of "cut" your lane... Don't blame me as I deem you are actually either delaying my ride / depriving my ride joy / too slow to be safe. Either way, I justified my decision to "cut" you.

If you think by "cutting" you on a expressway caused you to feel I'm trying to endanger yourself and myself. Trust me, if I can handle Lane 1 or 2. I can handle your 70-80km/h well within my capability and machine capability. You should reflect on your riding instead than to pin point on mine:)

arthur_chan maybe the kup kia see the pulsar slow thats why cut you

Just be aware whats going on around you. You see the kup kia near you give way la.

School teach you probably 50% applicable on road nia

You kill frog also bothered you for weeks

People cut you also bother you le

how?

TS Has Chosen To Keep Quiet, I Guess Its Your Turn Now Dude. Coz You'll Just Keep This Thread Going On & On & On & More People Are Gonna Read It & Comment.

Um why is there a reason not to? I find this discussion to be really interesting, so many people giving their opinion on what is cut and what's not. I dare say that this might give a better insights into how different riders manages on the road. (Of course, if you ignore the racial things that are going on.)

Well, I think it is pointless to teach goldfish to climb tree or monkey to swim... Ride as what you deem is right. Next time if I do overtake you or rather your sense of "cut" your lane... Don't blame me as I deem you are actually either delaying my ride / depriving my ride joy / too slow to be safe. Either way, I justified my decision to "cut" you.

If you think by "cutting" you on a expressway caused you to feel I'm trying to endanger yourself and myself. Trust me, if I can handle Lane 1 or 2. I can handle your 70-80km/h well within my capability and machine capability. You should reflect on your riding instead than to pin point on mine

Well said. What you meant is overtaking and of course, you will overtake safely and for that, kudos to you.

However, I kinda disagree with you on that point of "if I can handle Lane 1 or 2. I can handle your 70-80km/h well within my capability and machine capability". It sounds to me like overconfidence and complacency. Do note that, road conditions are ever-changing so caution and adaptability will be the key while riding/driving on Singapore roads.

So, lets go back to the point on "cutting". What is actually cutting? It just means going pass you without the necessary safety distance, that is, when the said vehicle is about as close to you as arm distance.

There is absolutely no wrong in riding at maximum legal speed limit while on the middle lanes or even the leftmost lanes. However, while on the roads and were there to be a vehicle that comes into your lane while passing you at barely arm's length, don't you feel unsafe and would definitely move away?

I believed that would be the case, many of my fellow riders would curse and swear at the operator of the said vehicle and on the forum, there are already rampant complaints about cases similar to the one described above. That is the crux of the discussion, do you deem it as your own fault should that happen or blame the other party for dangerous operation of the vehicle?

Now you are doing 60kph on the expressway.

Better not go Malaysia and ride the NS, will sure kena one, even if ride in shoulder

i know where u're refering to, last time i use that road everyday, sometimes seeing a TP sitting by the road shoulder. the double white line seperates any vehicles on the right to exit, thus forcing any vehicles who want to exit to keep left and Q up, or end up breaking the law. many ppl like to cut in and exit late, thus the white line deters this scenerio. i really wish there were more white lines like this on the road, it will induce more safety. thanks duo, you've given a very good example where law steps in to deter such scenerio. :)

i think some of you dont know where i'm going with this. all the lessons with driving center are forgotten: slowing down, keep left, exit early, dont anyhow overtake, check blind spot, etc. thus with the scene if i were a truck, nobody dares to do that stunt, i'm wondering why it's ok with a bike. some of you guys may be ok with killing another life and sleep peacefully, i'm not, i killed a frog accidently once and it bothered me for weeks, i even prayed for the poor soul to have a good place up there.

@chris, i've met dozens of tp on the highway, sometimes forgotten to on my lights which i later realized. i usually ride 60-80 on the highway, thus 'not flowing with traffic' also 'stands out from traffic' like you said. it makes me wonder why they never ever once second-look at me, since my speed is 'too slow'.

on the same topic, i had a friend who got stopped by tp for speeding at est 93 (forgot the exact num), he didn't beg for leniency but argued that speed camera clocked at +10, so his speed should be all right. tp told him in his face: even if u go at 91, i'll still book u and that's according to my meter, i dont care how much ur meter is showing.

as for the whole racist thing, i never revealed my race, for all you know, i could be a malay, so a malay saying a malay is racist? and i wondered how many of you have met me in person to know i'm chinese. well if any of you still feel strongly about it, i would suggest getting a mod to judge. as said earlier, if mod feels i'm wrong, and feels i should deserve warning points, i gladly accept. no use arguing about it since it will never come to an end.

finally i should end my last post for this thread, no point discussing further. fyi, i like being a turtle for all the good reasons on the road, if need be, i'm a roman too. however being reckless doesnt come with a good end, i've learnt it the painful way. also if u met a pulsar on the road, pls dont play, some of my friends could be quite reckless, and they're not so forgiving for small matters on the road. take care and drive/ride safe or whatever works for you on the road. :)

Current FAZER600-Naked

Some ppl just don't get it. Stubborn about their own way till the bitter end, thinking that the world owes them a living or an undisturbed path. Still stuck in driving school theories and ideas about perfect behavior on the roads.

Sad. Too bad. Will continue to get cut until they wake up their idea and get with the program.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Being spiteful.

Anyway, I am assuming that you are pin-pointing at me. You might wanna re-read the above post about what I said about cutting. Also, I don't think you know what I'm actually saying.

Read: Adaptability and responsible riding. Not being selfish and conceited. The road is not a track.

Anyway, that awful and simplistic explanation aside. I wish more could do about dangerous users of the road, just yesterday this poor bloke riding an R1 was taunted into a race by another driving a Honda...Civic.

It was on the highway at about 1am, towards Tuas on PIE. I was riding at 105km/h and behind the said R1 rider, a Civic zoomed pass me dangerously and into the lane of the R1, causing him to swerve into another lane. The Civic refused any leeway and continued to be an irritant to the rider before he just throttle up and sped away. Similarly the Civic did that too. I tried to follow but my nerves tingles at speed of 150km/h...

This is an situation of obvious malicious intent. Really, sometimes I feel safer touring up North, at least speeding vehicles would't care a two hoots about you. Any suggestion to how these events could be minimized?

1. Government intervention? Not likely, TPs deployed everywhere and everyday? Thats not cost effective.

2. Government Education? We already have an "efficient" one in place that does absolutely everything a Log can do.

3. Road Vigilante? Willing to risk it all?

4. Learning from examples of other countries? Differing culture and the lack of willingness to learn without monetary gains from the Controllers.

5. Harsher punishments? Its only a deterrent when you are caught... E.g Too many drivers/riders using the phone while moving on the road. (Hey! It is a offence punishable by suspension of licence and jail term)

6. Whats not?

Edited by Lexanez

Don't be too sensitive. I was referring to the thread above me.

Anyway, some of you ppl are just too obsessed with right or wrong. There is no black or white, only gray.

There are too many ppl doing these things on the road, and almost all of them get away. So does crying about it in the forum help?

Just use your common sense on the road.

So, you get cut off.... then what?

The assh0le was in a car? U can't do jack sh1t? Then forget it.

The assh0le was in a kupkia and you're on a superbike? What's your next move? You can whack him back or let it go.

It's all up to you. Use your common sense.

Yeah but with attitudes like that. Things will never get done. Though it is true.

Anyway, I'm thinking of a petition to put more emphasize on the rider. Similar to the one in the UK. It really astounds me see how people sees riders differently over there.

I think cars cutting in front of motorbikes are very common. I see it everyday.

We're small. And sometimes, it's very difficult for drivers to judge our speed. That's why you must always keep a safety distance.

You can't avoid it. It's going to happen everyday.

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

IMO,

Lane 1 = >90km/h

Lane 2 (& 3 if applicable) = 70-85km/h

Lane 3 (4 if applicable) = 90km/h

Why lane 3 so fast?

I experienced vans, lorries, bus, bikes and anything else overtaking me when I'm riding @ 90km/h(gps-tracked) on Lane 3.

Lane 3 is the most dangerous lane for a motorcycle. Stay in Lanes 2.5, 2, 1.5 and u should have less problems.

My suggestion:

Try to ride on Lane 2.5

'08 Leo-Vince Wave S

The day i quit riding,

Is when those whom I love,

Cry every time I get on my motorcycle.