SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

BMW Motorcycles

Drawmer

Originally posted by RT@Dec 15 2004, 04:00 PM

Hi Pinglong,

Congrats on your new ride.Im sure you'll enjoy it.

Just a caution that the battery was a concern for BMW bikes if left for too long and not riding it.

I had mine(R1150RT) goofed up on me for not riding it but somehow it seems they can't hold their charge as long compared to Jap bikes.

But I guess it should not be an issue for you cos you are probably riding it daily anyhow..

:cheeky:

The prev owner changed the battery to those Gel type.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/pinglong/R1200RT_R1200GSA_top_back_on_back.jpg

Posted earlier, wasted 10k to repair for 6yrs. Waiting time usually 1months as bike is 95 model R100R, no spares, even just a rubber seal has to order. PML just don't want to waste space for senior citizen.

Though Big Money Wasted, I still love my bike. No choice, more on passion or may be after wasting so much $ and time and bike don't hv good market value, no choice but to keep it.

if I am more on touring purpose, I will ride Yamaha FJR1300. Sturdy engine, fast and comfortable, I think. Anyway, a bit bais, as I like Yamaha bikes more than any brand. Yamaha is almost pioneer in every field, from Mono rear swing arm, (concept may be 1st fm BMW, but theirs is different as they believe it is more stable to place the suspension in the centre, where BMW placed it on the right), Power valves, EXUP (love most), 5 valves per piston engine (think 1st on FZ750 -now Ferarri used it as well), Delta Box / Omega chasis, Front single swing arm on GTS (invented by James Parker) and more tt i don't even know or heard of.

I used to admire BMW, but after seeing their recent bikes, I think no difference between theirs and Jap bike, they have started to copy, most disappointed is the latest K1200S, block engine (Japaneses style), front suspension copied from Gerilla CX125, designed by Italian more than 10yrs ago, concept taken from Aeroplane suspension. Worst is the design, no difference from any Japanese bike, I still miss their boxy, German looks design, like the TP K75/1000, K1, K1100LT, RS and etc...

Think the last BMW I will ever buy is the R1100S, the last bike with authentic BMW image. Especially the front air intakes are the same as car. You can tell it is a BMW as far as 1km, new design can't, you can only tell in 1m. 1km away, you will be guessing what bike is it.

Hi SDR,

Just curious wat price you paid for your 7-yr old bike back then.

You must have put on quite a few kms to date unless you only use it on wkends and drive or have another bike just for getting around.

I personally like the R1100S.. was kinda waiting to see if they were coming out with a 1150 version but alas they came out with a K1200S instead.

Cheers

Just curious and expecting. Any idea about the 100,000km servicing for the R1150GS? I am expecting the clutch, maybe the Transmission/Splines. Major stuff.

:smile:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/FazeGabes/MISC/R1200GSASignature.jpg

We must ADJUST to an Ever changing Road...while holding onto unchanging principles.... :angel:

Does anybody know whether can we adjust the shock absorber of an 1100RT?

I think the back is OK. But the front, it feels too light at high speed. Too high or something maybe?

Or do we have to bring it back to PML workshop for adjustment?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/pinglong/R1200RT_R1200GSA_top_back_on_back.jpg

Originally posted by SDR@Dec 21 2004, 10:18 PM

do u hv the owners' manual? they teach u how to do it, there's a tool in yr tool box tt's meant for the suspension. u can go to any workshop, especially - sporting motor or bike lab, think they should be able to adjust.

Nope. The prev owner said he didn't get any manual from the prev prev owner. He already told me this on the first night I went to meet him.

As for the tools, yeah there's one whole set of them that comes with the bike. But.. heh heh ... I don't know which one is for what...

Guess I'll just have to go to the two shops u mentioned then.

Thanks!

I paid about $22.5k in 1998? or 1999? can't really remember. Back then, ST11 was 18-21k for used. So I think quite ok.

Todate, I think the R1100S is still the most beautiful "new" BMW bike. Alway wanted 1 but really tight on $ and 2nd hand condition usually not that good.

When I got the bike, milleage covered by the x-owner was 44,000km+, now it is 115,000km+. used it daily (I was then owning another bike and a car) but used it most often among the 3, tour almost everyweek before marriage. After marriage, (3yrs) only travelled to Malacca with wife just a few weeks ago, my max speed is only 160km/hr, dare not go any faster, mainly worrying the gear box and wife safety, I think I am really old liao.

If you get 1, think u hv to be very careful with the gear box, know some1 crashed his gearbox this year.

After 7yrs, I still miss it if i don't ride it.

*After much consideration, I will go for FJR1300 (when I have enough $) and this bike will be just collection and daily transport (if no rain).

Hope you get 1 soon.

Actually, i am looking around for a R80G/S. Was told there probably are a couple here but its difficult to see them let alone get one. Ha ha.

I think the PD version is such a tough and proven bike. Together with that massive fuel tank. its looks are one of a kind !

Know anyone riding one?

:lovestruck:

tt's the bike that won darkar race in 1988?

It's a shame tt the present darkar race bike is not using injection, they are using the old BING carb.

Anyway, think no 1 will sell that bike, saw 2 times in Singapore and a R100GS and 1 time GSPD, the R100GS (Black) and PD was in superd condition, guess the owners wont sell them. Understand the last asking price was S$15k for the PD (but was told that that wasn't the original PD), now, may be more expensive as many new GS riders told me that they wish to own the old GS.

I know there's a very superd condition R100RT built in 1995 in spore, but I don't know owner, do u know, if u do, pls kindly ask him if he is interested to let go.

If possible, I would like to hv the 3 of them, tt's R100GS, R100RT and my present bike - R100R. I still love the old bikes. I missed the chance of owning a K1 bcos of $2k (i was willing to offer highest @ $14k), Perfection Motor sold to a German Uncle @ $16k about 3-4yrs ago. I regret till today.

Many years back, there was a R65 (if i rmbr correctly) with touring fairing for sale but i was not interested then. Same here I regret till today...

:weep:

i personally own a 98 GS1100.

i juz came back from a 10 day trip few days ago.can go,can come back.no problem at all.handling of bike is superb,on road and off road.one will learn to appreciate the unique suspension system once on Thailand roads.

exceptional strength is observed in this enduro model from beemer.this bike corners excellently for me in Mae Hong Son,has impressive mid range torque to climb and dance its way through like a ballerina.

on the straight highways,i can be scrollin thru the controls of my mp3 player on my left hand and maintaining the throttle at 150km/h.that is comfort and stability to me.the design of the GS doesnt put much emphasis on top end speed,doing a modest 195km/h.

maintenance wise,i have a very talented mechanic who knows my bike inside out.this I shall not disclose too much.by the way,i brought ONLY a spare clutch cable(my only spare) for the entire trip,which i did not use.my total mileage was 7855km.

my measure of money when it comes to motorcycles is never in dollars and cents.this bike can bring me ease of mind in foreign places(where the fear of engineering shortcomings sets in),and it is priceless.through all the bumps and potholes,over mountains trails and tarmac,highway to highway,country to country,my GS has never failed me once.i got more than my money's worth.and i'm NEVER selling my GS.it's my passport to adventure.

my admiration for the GS1100 has deepened with every trip.it is no coincidence that many of the Round-The-World riders use a beemer.if one juz wants to give an appraisal of the flat twin 4 valve(boxer) engine mainly on street rides alone,it is a shame.buy one,go round the world and tell your story.

i personally own a 98 GS1100.

i juz came back from a 10 day trip few days ago.can go,can come back.no problem at all.handling of bike is superb,on road and off road.one will learn to appreciate the unique suspension system once on Thailand roads.

exceptional strength is observed in this enduro model from beemer.this bike corners excellently for me in Mae Hong Son,has impressive mid range torque to climb and dance its way through like a ballerina.

on the straight highways,i can be scrollin thru the controls of my mp3 player on my left hand and maintaining the throttle at 150km/h.that is comfort and stability to me.the design of the GS doesnt put much emphasis on top end speed,doing a modest 195km/h.

maintenance wise,i have a very talented mechanic who knows my bike inside out.this I shall not disclose too much.by the way,i brought ONLY a spare clutch cable(my only spare) for the entire trip,which i did not use.my total mileage was 7855km.

my measure of money when it comes to motorcycles is never in dollars and cents.this bike can bring me ease of mind in foreign places(where the fear of engineering shortcomings sets in),and it is priceless.through all the bumps and potholes,over mountains trails and tarmac,highway to highway,country to country,my GS has never failed me once.i got more than my money's worth.and i'm NEVER selling my GS.it's my passport to adventure.

my admiration for the GS1100 has deepened with every trip.it is no coincidence that many of the Round-The-World riders use a beemer.if one juz wants to give an appraisal of the flat twin 4 valve(boxer) engine mainly on street rides alone,it is a shame.buy one,go round the world and tell your story.

At this time of the year, the weather is great and cool for riding.I was there 4 years ago. spent almost 3 months riding the country on a sportbike. fantastic roads up north.

I pity I could go off the beaten track with my bike which I am sure the GS will cope admirably.

Hi RT,

If you are really looking for the R80GS, Bike n Scooter is planning to sell theirs. Well done up and maintained with lots of fabrications.

Drop by to have a look and speak to Apollo.

Cheers. :smile:

We must ADJUST to an Ever changing Road...while holding onto unchanging principles.... :angel:

gsxxer Posted on Dec 27 2004, 08:08 PM

Hi RT,

If you are really looking for the R80GS, Bike n Scooter is planning to sell theirs. Well done up and maintained with lots of fabrications.

Drop by to have a look and speak to Apollo.

Cheers.

Thxs Gsxxer,

Will do that

Hi RT, SDR,

You guys might wanna check this webby. Address & Telephone all in there.

http://www.bikenscooter.com/

Dudes, u know wat. we should meet up for coffee one of these days.

Do some boxer engines talk :cheeky:

But that will be after my road trip..... :goodluck:

Cheers ppl.

Originally posted by SDR@Dec 28 2004, 10:53 AM

Hey, thanks alot. Ya, sure we should meet up someday. Do contact/sms me when you guys are planning to.

Pager : 94175183 (just sent sms as usual), Cell phone : 96350503

Hi, mind if I join in? :bouncefire:

I'm sure I have a lot to learn from you guys

If you guys want. We can always set a date & time.

Let me check my schedule, then I post out something later on.

Maybe next week or somethin.

:cheer:

Even though my Bertha is not due for service for another 2000km more, I'm thinking of bringing it in. Due to the age, I guess it will do more good to service more regularly, right? This will be my 1st service.

How long does the whole job takes uh? Need to take half-day off? Or just go on Saturday? Any experience to share....?

Originally posted by SDR@Dec 29 2004, 12:17 PM

do you mean sending your bike to PML?

They opened 8am, so you can send it in in the morning and collect it late pm, just service, very fast, can arrange with Christ but make sure you make an appointment before sending in your bike, think they are heavily shortage of manpower. Sad, they left 2 mech there, used to be 4. Gone are Ah Tan and Mustafa (was told transfer to Mini, wonder y?), Ah Ong (left PML, wonder where is he now, was told he has been working for PML more than 10yrs, and he was my regular mech, yes, you can request for a regular mech if Christ has no objection, last time was Jeffry b4 Christ, gave him alot of hard time but still prefer to coordinate with him).

have not try, should request Mustafa to service my bike in the mini workshop, better not, they might charge what they are charging to mini owner :cry:

Yeap, to PML. I just got Kriss' number from my prev owner. Didn't cross my mind to ask him earlier just now. Anyway, thanks!

Went to Bike n Scoot, they r selling e R100GS, not R80GS. it looks like a PD, I m not very sure, as never ridden a GSPD before, but understand that PD start production as late as 1992, that bike was registered in 1988, yellow forks, speedometer, voltage and others looks more like r100gs, PD speed and tachno meters are placed side by side, if I am not wrong.

i don't know, not sure, but was very excited to c a GSPD look alike, price i shall not revealed, price is reasonable if it is a real PD, a bit high if it is not, if wife has no objection, wl consider to buy.

Told my wife about it just now. She didn't show any expression, think her answer is obvious. must buy TOTO & 4D. Wish me luck.

You are obviously well versed with the different models and am probably right about it being a GSPD look-alike based on what you mentioned.

In any case, the basic model are quite few here.. Is it well taken care of ? A bike that age might be quite abused . Heard this model is rather prone to shaft drive failure..any comments on this?

Cheers

Originally posted by SDR@Dec 30 2004, 10:45 AM

I have been thinkg and calculating last night, infact, can't get to sleep, but after checking all the parts price on the net, had given up the idea of owning it. Unless, I strike TOTO (solo 1st prize) 2nite. But, if I have S$500,000/- cash in hand, then I will get the R1200GS, spoiled just sell it away cheap and get another 1.

LOL. I would love to strike TOTO or 4D too so I can do the same. hahaha.

Maybe I should start to buy Singapore Sweep regularly. Get $2 million, I can buy the complete collection of latest model of BMW bikes, AFTER I buy a landed property to parade them. hahahaha

Originally posted by SDR@Dec 30 2004, 10:45 AM

I learnt from the internet, go to yahoo or google, type R100GSPD and Beemer riders will teach you anything you need to know about the PD.

I am not sure about the final shaft problem, remember Mr Micheal Fong and his wife used the GSPD to tour the world in the late 90s? think he didn't make it round the world and i clearly remembered he replaced the shaft himself in 1 of the pictures he posed on the NSman magazine many years ago.

bike condition? I dare not comment as different people have different expectation, I guess I belongs to the "STINGY" type, if i buy the bike, i will replace many things : full exhaust, rims, speeodmeter lens and some other parts I have yet to look into or notice, will do respray to GSPD design (red/white), not satisfy with the present paint job, so need to throw in or standby at least $5k to get it to stock condition.

I have been thinkg and calculating last night, infact, can't get to sleep, but after checking all the parts price on the net, had given up the idea of owning it. Unless, I strike TOTO (solo 1st prize) 2nite. But, if I have S$500,000/- cash in hand, then I will get the R1200GS, spoiled just sell it away cheap and get another 1.

Hi SDR,

U saw it yeah? The Beemer at Bike&Scooter looks awesome and rugged right?

I think you can consider that bike. It has been well-maintained.

hmm, appearance is very important to me, buay ta han to see rust, or painted parts on stainless steel, if the asking price is 4digit, think chances of owning it is 90%, but 5 digit asking price, chances now is less than 5%, as I really suspect tt's the fake GSPD friend mentioned a few years ago. further hv to get loan from outside, interest likely to be 4-5%, meaning for 3yrs loan, easily 400-500+ per month, and mentioned earlier, hv to fork up at least another 5k for restroration. Wow, wife face sure black black.

now i m concentrating on the SDR, hope to get the bike back to original stock setting (if possible), hv not started any comestic work and already cost me about $1.5k from outside workshops (wrong move, no1 get the setting right), wonder how much will HL be charging.

think the bike present condition may be ok to others, but not to me. i can't accept it.

the airheads bikes does not required a lot of maintenances, this is the beauty of airheads, very simple and easy maintenance, tt's y, BMW lost alot $ on airheads (i think), cos nobody bother to go back to BMW, change a new bike and the biggest mistake they made was to built the bike so sturdy that it hardly breaks down, no matter how you hard you threshed it. Unlike the new 1, you hv to go back to the agent for a simple oil change or tuning.

infact, it seem like the more u try to maintain, the more headache you have. i was once complaining my bike leaking problem to a German Uncle in germany thru internet, he told me, let it be, this bike is a leaker, dont bother to change the seals for minor leaks, if u mind, just wash it off with detergent. I listerned and save a lot $, formerly, whenever, there's minor leak, I will send in to get the seals replace, "push rod" rubber seals replacement labour cost is $300+ per side. Now, I bought degreaser, wash it off every weekend. only replace the seal when there's a major leak, for 2yrs, hv not been replacing any engine parts seals.

So far so good.

Was that why you had to spent so much $ on your Mystic to get it to the condition you wanted?

Sometimes buying a used bike depends on your luck apart from doing all your homework on researching about it.

You might end up buying a lemon and have to bear the cost of the necessary repairs and restoration.

Different people have different expectation on their bikes. The R100GS "PD" is consider quite good, but since it is quite a rare bike, don't you want to perfect it by just throwing about 5k or slightly more to make it to almost to brand new condition and I seriously think that 5K or slightly more is quite a small amount for restoration.

I understand some owners used more than 5k or close to 10k to restore a Honda CB350, CBX1000 or a Kawasaki Z1 Mark I 1970 in Singapore. It is just that I don't hv that kind of spare cash (bike price, minor restoration, new parts and registration fee, road tax, insurance and etc... need at least $25k), if I do, that bike will be mine.

I consider all repairs and parts replacement done to the Mystics are necessary, I can't ride with gear box bearing crashed, oil leaks on gearbox, engine case cover or push rod, shoe will be dirty and think may be every 300km, I need to top up final drive oil and engine oil. Can u ride with that?, sorry, I can't and think nobody can, and guess as time goes by, instead of replacing seals, you might end up replacing engine or gear box. No choice, hope you don't think I enjoy spending that kind of money on her, I rather save it for old age.

Yes, buying bike depends on luck and also rider, I admit I was a lousy rider for the 1st 3 yrs, as I mentioned before, I treated it like a Japanese racing bike. Now, guess I am the most gentle rider on earth.

Well, whether you say we are all spoiled by japanese bikes for their reliabilty or not is one thing cos the majority of us own jap machinery be it bikes or otherwise.

so that becomes something we are accustomed to.

E.G. Ppl may say a Porsche 911 that oversteers is characteristic but a WRX that does the same is blamed on bad handling..ha ha

likewise spending big bucks on exotic bikes, one would expect a bare mininium when it comes to reliability issues. Ive read many owners giving up owning Ducatis and Harleys for that reason alone.

As a 2 times ex-ducati owner, I must say with the problems I had with them, I still had much fun and pride in ownership then but I sold them for other reasons. So would I buy another duke? sure.

Its sometimes depends on how badly you want THAT bike!. Ppl around you(maybe. your wife included) probably would not understand why you would pay that kind of $$ for a 15yr old bike that woud bring headaches one rather do without

I can identify with you when you see a bike that you so wanna have and those sleepless nites making calculations one after another and reasons to justify getting one.

I am just one nut hving owned more than 10 bikes and still counting ( however a fren has more than 20 and another tops the list with over 40)

I guess the R 100GS shares the same engine and parts as your Mystic so there are no surprises when its quirks are concerned.

Restoration is a long and costly affair and I doubt I m up to it.

I might just end up getting a R1150GS instead :smile:

Totally agree with you, as I says I don't hv that kind of $, if I do, I will donate all to the Tidal Wave victims.

Anyway, not owning this bike is just another bike passes by, i had missed a few great bikes, so not too worry to miss this bike.

Anyway, as a (LOW) Income earner, I hv to be very practical, only can afford those bike that is within my pathetic disposable income and if i need to look at those super bike, hv to go to the bookstore to buy (provided I had skipped 7 days of meals) magazines that talk about them, cheapest way of knowing them.

This is life.

Please don't sympathize me, as I am okay with it, I know, spending all my fortune on 1 bike (R100GS), may only bring me 1st 3 months or at most 3 years of excitment and happiness (but if need to restore, may be 3yrs of suffers, then 1 week of satisfaction), after that, I may be searching for another excitiment, this is endless and true luxury to me, perfectly beyong my reach.

i consider myself quite fortunate to own a bike and not have to worry will I be able to get food for my next meal.

You and your friend are very fortunate to own 10 or more than 10 bikes, so hope while you are enjoying your luxury, you have not forgotton to help those needy to prolong your luxury life.

Just to set the record straight and not give you (and others) the wrong impression, I do not live a life of luxury( a 3-rm flat is all I hv) Motorcycling is my foremost passion and have spent too much $$.. so much so that I am currently in debt as a result.. but that's another thing altogether.

Changing bikes every now and then is not something i can really be proud of.,.on the contrary, i envy and respect those who are more sensible, with the capability and means to own more but disciplined to have only one bike.

And yes, i hv contributed to those victims too..Thxs for your reminder.

FYI, my fren (with the help of some organisations) is planning to build an orphanage in Indonesia for those affected once the relief operations are able to get the situation under control. Hope things work out then.

Please keep those in need in your prayers.

God Bless their souls.

Mr RT, really envy you to own a/a few ducati before, i hv been keen on Ducati bikes (much more than BMW, espcially for it's design) loved the 900ss, Peso 750 (think not in Singapore) and latest Mutistrada, of course MH900 is a nice bike but a little impractical for HDB carpark.

Need to check with you, hv been checking on the net and hearing rumours that owning a ducati is like owning a Farreri, equally expensive, is it true? is it really that expensive to own a Ducati, I used to think owning a BMW will be very expensive (many non bmw owners told me b4 i own 1) and when I own it, it is actually cheaper to maintain than a Super 4 or my ex Yamaha 400cc racing bike.

I am thinking of getting a Multistrada, do u hv any idea what is the price for a 1000cc and who is the agent in Spore, Mineva? Any any comments?

many thanks in advance.

I ALMOST BOUGHT A M/S BEFORE A SETTLED FOR A BEEMER.

ITS SUCH A FUN BIKE TO RIDE AND NOT AS SPORT ORIENTED LIKE THE 916.

ITS PRACTICAL TOO BECAUSE YOU CAN INSTALL PANNIERS.

I'VE SEEN OWNERS BRINGING IT DOWN TO THE TRACK TOO.

GUESS YOU CAN CALL IT A PRACTICAL DUCATI.

IT ALSO HAS KILLER BREMBO BRAKES. I UNINTENTIONALLY LOCKED UP THE FRONT WHILE RIDING IT ONCE AND TOOK ME BY SURPRISE.

MINERVA IS THE AGENT AND YOU CAN LOOK FOR MARY AND CHECK OUT THEIR WEB SITE. http://WWW.MINERVA.COM.SG

THE LAST TIME I ENQUIRED, THE PRICE WAS $28K

cheers

The GS is back in stocks folks!! I believe this shipment is made up of seven units, Red and Yellow only. One of which is already spoken for and if all the necessary admin is processed in time, I shall be a very happy man come next Tuesday... Wuhuahuahua!!!! :thumb:

But seriously, there are 2 riders who are trying to sell their RT and replace them with GS, so those of you who are looking for a 1150RT, this might be a good opportunity to get it at a good price. There will be those that will try to move theirs before the new 1200RT arrive. Good hunting guys!! :thumb: :thumb:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/KohTL/1098/signature.jpg

The years thunder by.

The drams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience.

Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer?

In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

- Sterling Haden, Voyage, 1976