SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] DRZ 400 SM

biting_point
Go to solution Solved by exygon,

next time ppl ask.. "wah, you been to track ahhh..!"

the reply goes: "yupzz.. the tyres had been to tracks, but not the bike..!!"

Quoted from a true story, hahaa...

Track-ed tyres are great for road use if you are on a budget..

But never take them out for another scrub at tracks or test them on the streets..

this tyre was a few weeks after PG session.. looks less messy..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218529[/ATTACH]

bro when u said dun test them on the streets which street do u have in mind? South Buona Vista Rd??haha

Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

You want?

I have a few sets of Michelin Pilot Powers that are track take offs.. scrubbed on the sides till the edges and still very thick on the centre tread. Selling them off as secondhands.. still good enough for road use.

Can consider bro Raptor but as u know im new to the zee and am currently trying to see how does the bike handles on corners so dun think it's the best idea to use tyres without shoulder threads..haha...ideally when i get my gears then i shall try PG..

if u stil have it, i want... :angel:

how much u're selling?

btw is it tubeless or wat?

sori alot question... :hehe:

mayb dis sat den i can only come down ur shop... :smile:

Ya, come down to the shop and talk to me.. I don't want to hog this forum with my stuff.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

Can consider bro Raptor but as u know im new to the zee and am currently trying to see how does the bike handles on corners so dun think it's the best idea to use tyres without shoulder threads..haha...ideally when i get my gears then i shall try PG..

Alot of riders have the misconception that treads or grooves equals grip. That is totally wrong!!

The lesser grooves or treads you have.. it only means that there is more rubber in contact with the tarmac. The more grooves.. the lesser the contact patch since the grooves are just air gaps.

The best gripping tyres are those that are slicks... all rubber and no grooves. The grooves are there only to clear water when the track is wet.

If grooves or treads equals grip, then knobbies should be used by the racers of MotoGP.

Alot of riders have the misconception that treads or grooves equals grip. That is totally wrong!!

The lesser grooves or treads you have.. it only means that there is more rubber in contact with the tarmac. The more grooves.. the lesser the contact patch since the grooves are just air gaps.

The best gripping tyres are those that are slicks... all rubber and no grooves. The grooves are there only to clear water when the track is wet.

If grooves or treads equals grip, then knobbies should be used by the racers of MotoGP.

Bro Raptor but those that has been track-ed before would have some deterioration in grip at least? whether or not to a level of not being street safe is something i dunno la i must confess..

There are alot of bikers running around with tyres that have never been to track or are street safe. Any tyres that are on the bike for more than 9 months are already not safe.... age hardening would have set in already... but they will carry on riding coz to them... still got plenty of treads left.

Thats why its extremely dangerous if someone says... "I will go track and scrub off these old tyres then buy new ones after the track session."

Going to track with old or worn tyres is asking to crash and basically that's how most track newbies screw up their virginal track day.

My track take offs are at most 2 months old some are even weeks old only.

Bro Raptor but those that has been track-ed before would have some deterioration in grip at least? whether or not to a level of not being street safe is something i dunno la i must confess..

I sometimes practice on one set of tyres.. but change to new set for the qualifying and actual race. It does not mean my pratice set is worn out.. or has lost its grip.

I like racing with new tyres... its a psychological and physical advantage.

The speeds and grip required for public roads is not the same as the track so there is really not a need for fresh tyres. Coz I don't think most people ride at race speeds or drag their knees at every corner on public roads.

Edited by Raptor

The distinct difference between a tracked tyres and used road tyres is the wear of the tyre threads..

Track tyres - worn shoulders, moderately worn centre..

Road tyres - Worn centre, lightly used, but in most cased not used shoulders..

You dun ride on the road like you do on tracks..

So buying a used tracked tyre is ok for road use..

Thanks bros for the insightful reply. Bro Raptor I shall discuss about the tyres when i get down to ur shop for my next service soon..

Btw, i was serious when i was asking what roads are there for a joyful(but not dangerous) rides in sg. Roads like South Buona Vista for instance..Riding on expressways are just too boring..haha..

Btw, i was serious when i was asking what roads are there for a joyful(but not dangerous) rides in sg. Roads like South Buona Vista for instance..Riding on expressways are just too boring..haha..

Try Neo Tiew Rd between Lim Chu Kang Rd and Kranji Way. Much longer than South Buona Vista with ample twists and turns to hone your bike-handling skills. You should like it.

There is also Jurong Rd - Track 22 - Jln Chichau - Jln Lam Sam exit Bricklands Rd (which I have yet to recce). Looks interesting from the map, but do provide review once you have tried it. I see many heavy vehicles on Jurong Rd day and night, so not sure if they use that track too. Maybe for parking at night.

Try not to go alone, for many reasons - practical and supernatural. :p

Edited by fatboypin
Added Jurong Rd Track 22.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=224954

2B(8/09);2A(10/10);2(12/11)

Derbi "Black Maverick" Terra 125 (8/09-9/12)

Honda "Burly Bison" Varadero XL1000V1 (10/11-12/12)

Ducati "Banded Mustang" Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP (12/12-)

Vespa "Vicki" GT200 (05/14-)

"Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity."

Been through the Neo Tiew Road before as an alternate route to Tengah Air Base before.

Beware of lorries and the blind corners.

I strongly suggest that you ride the race tracks for your adrenaline rush dosage.... not the public roads.

Been through the Neo Tiew Road before as an alternate route to Tengah Air Base before.

Beware of lorries and the blind corners.

I strongly suggest that you ride the race tracks for your adrenaline rush dosage.... not the public roads.

Yup, always stay on the side of caution rather than foolishness. Always ride safe.

For Neo Tiew, there are cyclists doing that stretch at night. Ditto for some zhng-ed cars wanting some bit of NeoTiew Drift... Also watch out for the Ferraris/Lambos at speed along Lim Chu Kang straight.

Thanks for the advice guys. I use Jurong Rd all the time when i go back from city towards jurong. Must BEWARE cos i dunno what do they do there (maybe illegal dumping) so expect lorries- big ones to be parked by the side of the road or even facing u!.. So i always go slow and just enjoy flowing with the corners, much better than using PIE until i reach Corporation Rd exit..

Bro Raptor, not qualified to use track la later u lap me that time i slow u down only..haha..

Heard someone i know got summoned for speeding at the lim chu kanggstraight at over 180..so police are there at random also rite..

Try Neo Tiew Rd between Lim Chu Kang Rd and Kranji Way. Much longer than South Buona Vista with ample twists and turns to hone your bike-handling skills. You should like it.

There is also Jurong Rd - Track 22 - Jln Chichau - Jln Lam Sam exit Bricklands Rd (which I have yet to recce). Looks interesting from the map, but do provide review once you have tried it. I see many heavy vehicles on Jurong Rd day and night, so not sure if they use that track too. Maybe for parking at night.

Try not to go alone, for many reasons - practical and supernatural. :p

Bro just went to scout track 22 ...wa bro outside there got one sign saying sth like intruders will be shot..bikers will be stopped, and then shot...u serious got ppl use this stretch of road b4, apart from armies?

thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. I use Jurong Rd all the time when i go back from city towards jurong. Must BEWARE cos i dunno what do they do there (maybe illegal dumping) so expect lorries- big ones to be parked by the side of the road or even facing u!.. So i always go slow and just enjoy flowing with the corners, much better than using PIE until i reach Corporation Rd exit..

Bro Raptor, not qualified to use track la later u lap me that time i slow u down only..haha..

Heard someone i know got summoned for speeding at the lim chu kanggstraight at over 180..so police are there at random also rite..

Bro.. everyone started slow the first time they went to the track... even Rossi and Lorenzo.

Its how many more times you go after going the first time that will make you a fast rider.

Bro just went to scout track 22 ...wa bro outside there got one sign saying sth like intruders will be shot..bikers will be stopped, and then shot...u serious got ppl use this stretch of road b4, apart from armies?

thanks

Restricted area meh? Not indicated on map leh. Ok, so even if it is, i hvnt checked it out yet, so we better not mess with wrong side of law.

Looks like neo tiew so far.

Re lim chu kang rd, i never said anything about speeding. Just relish the twists and turns of the wing road at neo tiew good enough for me. Anyway, hv seen police van parked in side lanes there too at night, presumably taking a break.

Ride safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody has their starter button damaged before? my bike is parked in open car park ( just to give an idea), today the start button decided not to let me press..tried pressing slightly harder the bike started, but then button din spring back out,had to pull it out..then found out that the wiring harness got burnt marks..

any opinions guys?

Thanks...got quoted 100plus for the switch.....

Anybody has their starter button damaged before? my bike is parked in open car park ( just to give an idea), today the start button decided not to let me press..tried pressing slightly harder the bike started, but then button din spring back out,had to pull it out..then found out that the wiring harness got burnt marks..

any opinions guys?

Thanks...got quoted 100plus for the switch.....

replace with a aftermarket starter switch for less than $40..

but it'll only have start button and dun have engine cut switch..

replace with a aftermarket starter switch for less than $40..

but it'll only have start button and dun have engine cut switch..

Too late bro..already bot new one at guan hoe..anyway price was close to 90. cheaper than the quotations from bike shops..thanks alot still..

I sometimes practice on one set of tyres.. but change to new set for the qualifying and actual race. It does not mean my pratice set is worn out.. or has lost its grip.

I like racing with new tyres... its a psychological and physical advantage.

The speeds and grip required for public roads is not the same as the track so there is really not a need for fresh tyres. Coz I don't think most people ride at race speeds or drag their knees at every corner on public roads.

Bro your tracked tyres still available..?seriously considering...