SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SHELL - OFFICIAL STATEMENT RELEASED

MPeX

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MiCmAsta@Apr 16 2005, 04:04 AM

2nd to it...

JB MOBIL is just 30km away from me... :cheer:

30km near meh? to and fro is 60km already bro. maybe 1/4 petrol gone just going to and fro, but still save some money also lah...

http://www.nutrition4u.sg/images/coaches/VicNette02.jpg

Contact me at 9858 6442 (madman) 9845 6442 (Babycakes)

Visit me at www.Fat2FitChallenge.com or add me in FB nutrition4u.sg

Originally posted by MrLau@Apr 16 2005, 01:28 PM

Dont play-play with the petrol/gasoline....

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/boatfire.wmv

:giddy:

I remeber someone mentioning that Petrol wun explode but only will catch fire??? :confused:

Apprently the Fumes does cost explosion... So isn't staying in the car worst???? How to escape???

Haizz. so unfair for bikers... Luckly JB is only 14km from my house...

kekekek

Sorry if you got offended because of the 'reality' which was cheek-in-tongue, and perhaps it was really unnecessary.

But explosion of vehicles? You may have had watched too many movies my friend.

I assure you fuel tank will not explode when you are refueling, even when there's a flash fire. It's a different story if your bike topples while refueling.

http://www.oneshift.com/showroom/uploadimages/thumb-2007073020222028.jpghttp://www.oneshift.com/showroom/uploadimages/thumb-2007073020120531.jpg

Originally posted by STi@Apr 16 2005, 01:37 PM

I remeber someone mentioning that Petrol wun explode but only will catch fire??? :confused:

Apprently the Fumes does cost explosion... So isn't staying in the car worst???? How to escape???

Haizz. so unfair for bikers... Luckly JB is only 14km from my house...

kekekek

So those staying inside the car can become Roasted Chicken liao if the car catch fire? :smile:

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

Originally posted by madman@Apr 16 2005, 04:13 AM

30km near meh? to and fro is 60km already bro. maybe 1/4 petrol gone just going to and fro, but still save some money also lah...

Mine is a 18L tank.

So 30km is just 1L of it.

Still have 17L to go mah...

:cheeky:

actually not all shell is like this..i still see some stations allows u to pump while straddling on ur bike. if entire SBF block a station, tat station will be out of bounds for all cars for more than 1 day i guessed. this ruling in more than 1 way is not at all fair to bikers. lucky jb caltex only less than 10km from my place. i going to redeem finish all my escape points.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

Originally posted by kona@Apr 18 2005, 09:51 AM

actually not all shell is like this..i still see some stations allows u to pump while straddling on ur bike. if entire SBF block a station, tat station will be out of bounds for all cars for more than 1 day i guessed. this ruling in more than 1 way is not at all fair to bikers. lucky jb caltex only less than 10km from my place. i going to redeem finish all my escape points.

yup, tats wat i m gonna do.. redeem all my shell points..

Originally posted by MiCmAsta@Apr 16 2005, 09:39 PM

Mine is a 18L tank.

So 30km is just 1L of it.

Still have 17L to go mah...

:cheeky:

What bike are you riding? Big bike and good mileage per litre...

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2005-05-21/1sportsindex_i.jpghttp://www.arsenal.com/images/wallpapers/s_facupfinal3.jpg

Originally posted by standlee@Apr 18 2005, 02:52 PM

yup, tats wat i m gonna do.. redeem all my shell points..

but i cant redeem petrol vouchers...their lowest also is $20...mine only 4L tank...seen their catalogue nothing interesting to redeem...

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

Originally posted by kona@Apr 19 2005, 09:15 AM

but i cant redeem petrol vouchers...their lowest also is $20...mine only 4L tank...seen their catalogue nothing interesting to redeem...

redeem the voucher and sell it off lah, $20 sell for $15, sure people buy.

http://www.nutrition4u.sg/images/coaches/VicNette02.jpg

Contact me at 9858 6442 (madman) 9845 6442 (Babycakes)

Visit me at www.Fat2FitChallenge.com or add me in FB nutrition4u.sg

Originally posted by eel@Apr 19 2005, 04:08 PM

http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/articles/O_20050415_001.html

Have a read ......decision is yours.

IT's the same article as in the TNP.....

It's just plain B*llSh*t..... Kickstarting and stradeling seems to be 2 different things of 2 different world and a BIG organisation like shell also can link them together..... :giddy:

http://www.oneshift.com/showroom/uploadimages/thumb-2007073020222028.jpghttp://www.oneshift.com/showroom/uploadimages/thumb-2007073020120531.jpg

to me it is a biase act, to see attendant attend to cars and not bikes. I had been to condos which security ask me to switch off engine and push in so as not to affect the tenents....... crap........

Besides the point, anybody ever thought of the fact that NO ONE... i repeat NO ONE IS SAFE IF THE STATION CAUGHT FIRE..........

Moral of the story is .......... it doesnt matter which position we are in, ontop the bike, beside the bike, between the bike, in the car, out the car, if it catches fire NO ONE is safe..........

Solution to shell is : to be safe,maybe they should implement that riders should kill engine, dismount, walk AT LEAST 1 km away, and try physokenesis/esp on the pump to automatic refill...........

BLAH.. SAFE........ CRAP........

I MAYBE AN IDIOT....... BUT I AM NOT DUMB............

after reading so much, this is what i can conclude..

Shell wants us to dismount because that straddling while refuelling may cause a fire.

We refuse to dismount because we want to pump full tank to prevent rust forming as stated by the Shell advert quite some time back.

Pump attendants did not attend to bikers is because it's easier to refuell a car with 4 wheels than a bike with 2 wheels and a side stand.. (that's my own personal opinion)

Shell has said that pump attendants can refuell for u while you hold up your own bike upright while standing besides it, it is still easier to have the bike straighten by straddling it.

it is easier to release the tigger when u yawn than to yawn while holding the bike upright while using all your might (for those with heavy bikes)

Shell's example of the famous vespa incident failed to convince us that straddling while refuelling is the main cause of that accident.

at a business point of view, with the same amount of money, i may just request the attendant to pump for me while i hold onto my bike. this is called value-added service. but on a personal note, i've always been supporting JB's petrol since i've changed from a wave to a S4 for monetary reasons.. :D

05.04 - 08.04: Honda Wave S (FV)

08.04 - 05.09: Honda Version S (FP)

09.08 - 08.10: Honda ESi 4dr (SBV)

04.11 - 02.12: Ducati 749 (FY)

05.09 - 07.14: Honda Wave X (FBD)

07.14 - 09.15: Yamaha Tmax 530 (FBH)

11.13 - 09.15: Honda City (SGA)

09.15 - Current: Honda Jazz (SKV)

Originally posted by Tyrian@Apr 26 2005, 01:00 AM

after reading so much, this is what i can conclude..

Shell wants us to dismount because that straddling while refuelling may cause a fire.

We refuse to dismount because we want to pump full tank to prevent rust forming as stated by the Shell advert quite some time back.

Pump attendants did not attend to bikers is because it's easier to refuell a car with 4 wheels than a bike with 2 wheels and a side stand.. (that's my own personal opinion)

Shell has said that pump attendants can refuell for u while you hold up your own bike upright while standing besides it, it is still easier to have the bike straighten by straddling it.

it is easier to release the tigger when u yawn than to yawn while holding the bike upright while using all your might (for those with heavy bikes)

Shell's example of the famous vespa incident failed to convince us that straddling while refuelling is the main cause of that accident.

at a business point of view, with the same amount of money, i may just request the attendant to pump for me while i hold onto my bike. this is called value-added service. but on a personal note, i've always been supporting JB's petrol since i've changed from a wave to a S4 for monetary reasons.. :D

Well said.

Just to add-on, regarding the "rust-forming" tip, it wasn't ancient history either, their tips can still be found on their website under their "Better Mileage Tips" here.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by Tyrian@Apr 26 2005, 01:00 AM

Topping up to the full is good news for everyone, especially bikeshops & petrol stations, in today ecomonic downturn and high crude oil price.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bull...ps_brochure.pdf

If any biker do not mind the petrol fumes, then do not dismount while refuelling so that can top up as full tank as possible too.

At least that will keep our hospital and Big MNC producing cancer treatment equpiment floating and in business.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

www.calvarypandan.org

Are you suggesting that there is a big difference in the amount of petrol fumes we inhale when we refuel sitting/straddling as compared to standing? I would really like to know how you came to that conclusion!

And interestingly enough, in the brochure you have kindly provided a link to, it mentions: "Leave cell phones and other electronic devices turned off and in the vehicle"

May I ask if you personally follow that piece of advice before you refuel?

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by william_liu+Apr 26 2005, 01:06 PM-->
QUOTE (william_liu @ Apr 26 2005, 01:06 PM)
Are you suggesting that there is a big difference in the amount of petrol fumes we inhale when we refuel sitting/straddling as compared to standing? I would really like to know how you came to that conclusion!

[/b]

Try different ways of refuelling, and you have the answer. Of course, expect different from 1 to another.

Well, we should not worry too much, since the effect come much later.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

www.calvarypandan.org

1) I have tried both ways of refueling before and frankly speaking, have noticed no difference. And the only way I can foresee that there will be a great difference is to place your face REALLY close to the fuel tank opening while you're refueling.

In fact, (for my bike) when I tried standing and refueling, the angle which I am at means I have to place my face more directly above the fuel tank opening so that I can judge the level. When I sit and refuel, I find that I can afford to lean back a bit and still be able to judge the fuel level and when to stop.

2) I think I did not phrase my question properly, sorry! What I mean to ask is, the brochure that you wished for us to see also recommends that we switch off our cellphones/electronic devices before refueling (I would think this is regardless whether we are driving or riding), do you actually do that when you refuel? I personally don't.

Originally posted by AliDavidSum@Apr 26 2005, 01:37 PM

Try different ways of refuelling, and you have the answer. Of course, expect different from 1 to another.

Well, we should not worry too much, since the effect come much later.

http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/...cle=3282&page=4

CO poisoning can occur when small amounts of CO are inhaled over a long time. It can also occur when large amounts of CO are absorbed over a short time, especially in a closed setting such as a garage or car

Since we're on the subject of personal health, perhaps it's time for us to reconsider riding as a form of transportation?

After all, since you are advocating that we avoid getting ourselves "poisoned" from the petrol fumes due to sitting/straddling while refueling, it'll be a real shame if we end up getting poisoned by carbon monoxide (CO) in the long-run instead right?

P.S: Anyway, I'm sure you're not a smoker as well right? (I also don't smoke) Then at least this is something we can agree on..... :p

And finally, check here for interesting facts of "petrol-sniffing"

The description of petrol sniffing is:

"Petrol sniffing is a form of substance misuse. Petrol sniffers deliberately inhale the petrol fumes given off for the intoxicating effect. They hold a saturated cloth over their nose and mouth or sniff directly from a small container. Intoxication can be rapid, within one to five minutes. Depending on the method, the effects may last for minutes or several hours. Young people also sniff other substances such as glue, photocopier fluid, aerosols, paint thinner, cleaning and lighter fluids."

Somehow I find it hard to believe that pumping petrol can be considered as harmful as petrol-sniffing, regardless of whether you are sitting, straddling or standing.

And the real people who MIGHT be at risk would be those petrol attendants, who spend hours on average daily in an environment where they are constantly exposed to petrol fumes, compared to a normal motorist who spend less than 10 minutes maximum per visit to a petrol kiosk?

Perhaps we should highlight to the relevant authorities that they are not being adequately protected, workers' rights and all?? Or the reason why there is no outcry or any measures taken is that this isn't even an issue to begin with?

Originally posted by william_liu+Apr 26 2005, 01:57 PM-->
QUOTE (william_liu @ Apr 26 2005, 01:57 PM)

1) I have tried both ways of refueling before and frankly speaking, have noticed no difference. And the only way I can foresee that there will be a great difference is to place your face REALLY close to the fuel tank opening while you're refueling.

In fact, (for my bike) when I tried standing and refueling, the angle which I am at means I have to place my face more directly above the fuel tank opening so that I can judge the level. When I sit and refuel, I find that I can afford to lean back a bit and still be able to judge the fuel level and when to stop.

[/b]

Is there ready the need to ready place your face READY close to fuel tank opening? Well that is necessary if you are refuelling in places like Thailand, where manual refuelling is still common.

If your face is closed to fuel tank, what happen if pump with not so good condition mechaism cause the petrol to spill out and/or onto your face? It may yet to happen, but I do not want to be the first to make history, although nearly happened.

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 26 2005, 01:57 PM

2) I think I did not phrase my question properly, sorry! What I mean to ask is, the brochure that you wished for us to see also recommends that we switch off our cellphones/electronic devices before refueling (I would think this is regardless whether we are driving or riding), do you actually do that when you refuel? I personally don't.

I just learn this recently, still trying correct old habit.

In the past, I answered my mobile phone inside the shop. Less nosiy and cooler to do so.

CO posioning is :offtopic: , since CO need engine running to produce it, and I doubt bikers are able to refuel with engine on. Anyway, bikers inhale more CO on the roads than petrol kiosks.

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 26 2005, 02:48 PM

Somehow I find it hard to believe that pumping petrol can be considered as harmful as petrol-sniffing, regardless of whether you are sitting, straddling or standing.

Pumping petrol is certainly not as harmful as petrol sniffing. But are you able to inhale more if you are tried to fill up close to fuel cap? To fill close to fuel cap, you can not dismount from bike.

Likewise, how much petrol fumes you are able to inhale if you stop pumping with activation of automatic cut off, as in car?

This is like non-smokers trying to avoid smokers when smokers are in operation. Non-smokers will sure take in second hand smoke when smokers are nearly in operation. Non smokers can only stay as far as possible to reduce the harmful effect.

As stated in that article, pump to the full is no good for your bike, and for you too. The effect is slow and long term, like second hand smokes.

www.calvarypandan.org

:confused:

Now I'm really confused.

So what you have been trying to say is if we top up a full tank of petrol, it is harmful to our health and vehicle? Can you explain why?

Anyway, the putting your face very near the fuel tank opening is just giving an example of how close you need to be to be affected by the fumes, and I'm definitely not recommending anyone to try that!

Another thing is I never rely on the "auto" or "locking" pumping when I am refueling my bike, I maintain sufficient pressure on the trigger without "locking" it, so that once I release, the petrol flow will stop. Think it is a good, safe practise than to rely on the auto cut-off sensor which may or may not work!

Ok, let's summarise our discussion so far:

1) You pointed out it's dangerous for our health if we pump full-tank or sit/straddle while refueling correct?

My response:

a) The fumes affect us the same way, regardless of whether we are sitting, straddling or standing. The only way it could be different is if we do something stupid like placing our face very near to the fuel tank opening, which I think none of us do.

b) I feel that the chances of having a bad health effect from topping up a full tank of petrol in the long-term is even lesser than the chances of getting poisoned by CO from riding around in the long-term. We refuel around 4~5 times a month, but we ride almost every other day. If you are worried about petrol fumes, than you should even be more worried about CO poisoning!

And finally in the article you refer to, I cannot find the part which says do not fill up while sitting on the bike, or topping up full tank is harmful for you and your vehicle. All I can find is this line: "Avoid prolonged breathing of petrol vapors. Use and pour gasoline only in the open."

I think that's all I have to say on this matter! Cheers!