Jump to content
SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

    Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

    Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

    Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

    Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Gadget : GPS device on bikes


tt6389

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be going for payou /supper tonite 9.30pm with West Side thread peeps, unless it rains.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/index....87979&st=16560&

 

Bringing my GPS to record the route taken.

 

In case I have not mentioned, beside auto-routing function to bring you to the destination, you can also use the tracking function to record your movement , so you can backtrack.

 

All welcome to join.

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

any idea where to get a GPS trackin device..so tat i can put it on my bike....then can let me check online where the location is?

25 Nov 2003 - 24 Nov 2004 (FS6087P) (NSR SP)

24 Nov 2004 - 28 Feb 2006 (FJ7457X & FJ*5**) (Hurricane & Vespa PX200)

01 Mar 2006 - 04 Jul 2006 (FS9367L, FJ7457X & FJ*5**)(CBR 919 RRW, Hurricane &Vespa PX200)

04 Jul 2006 - 13 Jun 2011 (FV8507R & FJ*5**)(Suzuki K2 & Vespa PX200)

13 Jun 2011 - Till Now (X1)

15 Jan 2013 - 10 Sept 2015 (FBG9588B)(GTR1400 2013)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by The Monopoly Man@Sep 1 2006, 04:16 PM

hi guys a bit off topic but i have a pda XDA2s wanted to install GPS but dont know can a not n the cost os it .........so that it can help me to travel also ..... :cheeky:

i have the same idea as you.

 

u can look at mapking.com go get an idea. its not free thou. check out the price of the bluetooth GPS receiver at the website and compare it at SLS also.

 

also there are other software for windows mobile. but i dunno the garmin maps are transferable or not.

 

for a start, check out garmin que -

 

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=837

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=76734

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by josean@Sep 11 2006, 08:20 PM

i have the same idea as you.

 

u can look at mapking.com go get an idea. its not free thou. check out the price of the bluetooth GPS receiver at the website and compare it at SLS also.

 

also there are other software for windows mobile. but i dunno the garmin maps are transferable or not.

 

for a start, check out garmin que -

 

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=837

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=76734

thanks bro any update pls let me know ..... :cheeky:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes! GPS is very very handy! you really dont need map anymore.

other than the bugging voice that keeps on repeating i was exceeding speed limit, which i realised it could be configured later part. hahaa..

but i sold mine away. :weep:

Ventura Puig Keiti Bagster Motovation Akrapovic BMC Pazzo GPR RaceShield Brembo Bridgestone EBC

Arai AGV Alpinestar Dainese Sidi Coolmax

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by josean@Sep 11 2006, 08:20 PM

i have the same idea as you.

 

u can look at mapking.com go get an idea. its not free thou. check out the price of the bluetooth GPS receiver at the website and compare it at SLS also.

 

also there are other software for windows mobile. but i dunno the garmin maps are transferable or not.

 

for a start, check out garmin que -

 

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=837

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=76734

mapking ? My PDA got mapking, installed after borrowing friend's CD. No need to buy. Although I don't have a bluetooth GPS sensor, I find the Mapking very useful for doing searches for road names.

.............................

 

Met a SBF rider at the Kulai outing last Sat night, who's got a Microsoft Mobile PDA with buildin GPS sensor & installed with Garmin Que so as to be able to read garmin maps. We compared our Malsing Maps (downloaded free) between my Garmin Legend CX & his Microsoft PDA 's Garmin Que - its identical.

 

Normally what he does when he uses the auto-routing function, is he wears a earphone to listen auto-routing voice prompting. The GPS sensing still works while he simply wear his GPS PDA phone on his waist belt while riding.

 

The only problem he faces with his PDA GPS is the battery life is short - about 2 hrs if he runs it continuously.

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by GerardSantaCruz@Sep 12 2006, 02:11 PM

yes! GPS is very very handy! you really dont need map anymore.

GPS is not meant to totally replace a map.

It works best hand in hand with a map.

Unless todays GPS devices are capable of displaying maps as well routes over it.

 

Cheers !

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/Ah_Hia00/Thai/MaeSod.jpg

My Bike Outside The Immigration Checkpoint of Mae Sod(Thai Mynmar Border), Mae Sod, Thailand

25th Dec 2005 to 9th Jan 2006

Singapore - Malaysia - Thailand

Total Distance Covered ~ 7000+ km

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Thai_R@Sep 12 2006, 04:30 PM

GPS is not meant to totally replace a map.

It works best hand in hand with a map.

Unless todays GPS devices are capable of displaying maps as well routes over it.

 

Cheers !

The older type of GPS or lower range of GPS don't have maps capability.

 

If you see the pics in first page of this thread, the downloaded maps are more detailed than any paper map. But I usually view the same maps on the computer screen (much bigger) , plotted the travel route , then download into my GPS.

 

But I occasionally refer to the paper map especially my Malaysia map, because it has certain information such as locations of resorts, hotsprings & waterfall in West Malaysia.

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by tt6389@Sep 12 2006, 08:04 PM

The older type of GPS or lower range of GPS don't have maps capability.

 

If you see the pics in first page of this thread, the downloaded maps are more detailed than any paper map. But I usually view the same maps on the computer screen (much bigger) , plotted the travel route , then download into my GPS.

 

But I occasionally refer to the paper map especially my Malaysia map, because it has certain information such as locations of resorts, hotsprings & waterfall in West Malaysia.

 

:smile:

Hi there,

I did see ur fisrt page photo of ur Legend.

It's doesn't display the map shown alike in a Singapore Street Directory paperback.

Or maybe it does but u haven't zoomed the map in that detail as of yet.

 

Or perhaps for places like SG and MY u have Malsing maps to help u.

But i doubt they actually mark out all the roads as in paper maps right ?

 

Or for example in Thailand. Mae Hong Son loop can be a nightmare without the right map. And i dun think there is any GPS that has the maps for that too.

 

So I still guess it's not really time yet to fully depend on ur GPS to get u through a place. U'd still need a paper map.

Furthermore the battery conks out on u and not a 7-11 in sight, u are there stranded with a S$500 paperweight.

 

For the time being a paper map and a GPS works wonders hand in hand.

and hope,pray,beg someday they'll have GPSs as good as paper maps.

 

Thanks.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/Ah_Hia00/Thai/MaeSod.jpg

My Bike Outside The Immigration Checkpoint of Mae Sod(Thai Mynmar Border), Mae Sod, Thailand

25th Dec 2005 to 9th Jan 2006

Singapore - Malaysia - Thailand

Total Distance Covered ~ 7000+ km

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Thai_R@Sep 13 2006, 02:27 AM

Hi there,

I did see ur fisrt page photo of ur Legend.

It's doesn't display the map shown alike in a Singapore Street Directory paperback.

Or maybe it does but u haven't zoomed the map in that detail as of yet.

 

Or perhaps for places like SG and MY u have Malsing maps to help u.

But i doubt they actually mark out all the roads as in paper maps right ?

 

Or for example in Thailand. Mae Hong Son loop can be a nightmare without the right map. And i dun think there is any GPS that has the maps for that too.

 

So I still guess it's not really time yet to fully depend on ur GPS to get u through a place. U'd still need a paper map.

Furthermore the battery conks out on u and not a 7-11 in sight, u are there stranded with a S$500 paperweight.

 

For the time being a paper map and a GPS works wonders hand in hand.

and hope,pray,beg someday they'll have GPSs as good as paper maps.

 

Thanks.

Maybe a 1" thick street directory has more detail. But otherwise, the Garmin maps are so detailed you can see the small lanes in Jb etc. When you move, the maps on the screen moves, you know instantly where you are.

 

For touring ,a paper map can be used for overview, rough location. But GPS tells you exactly where you are, also the auto-routing function will prompt you road by road , lane by lane to your destination.

 

The original build-in maps are very basic, but there are thousands of free detail maps to download inside.

 

http://gpsmaps.jwpixs.com/

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php

http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php

http://thaimaps.meandi.com/

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

 

Batteries running out for GPS? Always carry spare rechargeable, swap them & every night charging. Battery life is extremely long for certain models.

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by tt6389@Sep 12 2006, 03:43 PM

mapking ? My PDA got mapking, installed after borrowing friend's CD. No need to buy. Although I don't have a bluetooth GPS sensor, I find the Mapking very useful for doing searches for road names.

.............................

 

Met a SBF rider at the Kulai outing last Sat night, who's got a Microsoft Mobile PDA with buildin GPS sensor & installed with Garmin Que so as to be able to read garmin maps. We compared our Malsing Maps (downloaded free) between my Garmin Legend CX & his Microsoft PDA 's Garmin Que - its identical.

 

Normally what he does when he uses the auto-routing function, is he wears a earphone to listen auto-routing voice prompting. The GPS sensing still works while he simply wear his GPS PDA phone on his waist belt while riding.

 

The only problem he faces with his PDA GPS is the battery life is short - about 2 hrs if he runs it continuously.

 

:smile:

since the maps are identical, and garmin maps for its GPS units can be used for the software, Garmin Que,

 

what would be the possible disadvantages of using a Microsoft PDA eg O2 + GPS receiver instead of a proper GPS unit like your legend CX, apart from battery life span.

 

i was actually thinking of getting a 2nd hand 02 for the purpose of GPS instead of a unit as it can be a phone at the same time...

 

any advise ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by josean@Sep 16 2006, 02:53 PM

since the maps are identical, and garmin maps for its GPS units can be used for the software, Garmin Que,

 

what would be the possible disadvantages of using a Microsoft PDA eg O2 + GPS receiver instead of a proper GPS unit like your legend CX, apart from battery life span.

 

i was actually thinking of getting a 2nd hand 02 for the purpose of GPS instead of a unit as it can be a phone at the same time...

 

any advise ?

I think only those with both Garmin Que & standalone GPS can give fair comment.

 

Those using PDA GPS, surely they dun mount there precious PDA in front of the Bike. They keep in their tank bag or waist belt, while using the voice auto prompt with ear phone to guide them.

 

A mounted GPS allows you to stop the bike & scroll the map quickly to check where you are faster.

 

KingMap user has voice prompt. But I am not sure Garmin Que software has got voice prompt function. Any comments here from Que user?

 

I also wonder whether Garmin Que can interface with the Mapsource application software that comes with each garmin GPS? Coz the software is very handy to plot & plan the route through the country map, as you can zoom & see on your PC big screen, rather preferable than plotting the travel route on the tiny Que PDA or Garmin GPS. Plan & plotting & downloading the route to the GPS is first step for using the auto-routing function to prompt you at every turns on the road. Comments from Garmin Que user?

 

Mine Legend CX don't have ear piece jacks btw.

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am planning a Japanese Anime files Swapping Gathering with anime fanatics from SBF this coming Saturday 23 Sep. Tentative timing is 3pm. Since I am bring my laptop for the file swap, I can also give short demo of GPS & software used.

Basically , I 'll show you how to plan the auto-route function for a touring trip up North on the Garmin software on laptop. The demo is only half hour.

 

 

On 7th Oct , I will be going for one day GPS guided trip to Pulai Waterfall --> Kukup-> Pontian -> Batu Pahat -> Spore by NSHighway. Feel free to join and see why you never get lost anywhere in the world with GPS.

 

Please indicate your interest here to attend & I'll post the location & exact timing.

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by josean@Sep 16 2006, 02:53 PM

what would be the possible disadvantages of using a Microsoft PDA eg O2 + GPS receiver instead of a proper GPS unit like your legend CX, apart from battery life span.

the following is copied from malsingmaps. my comments in italics:

The Pros and Cons of using the PDA Integrated GPS.

 

Pros

  • All-in-one ; carry one for all functions (at least PDA+GPS, +camera+cellphone depending on model)
     
  • Bigger screen (compared to average Garmin unit)
     
  • Touch screen (compared to average Garmin unit)
     
  • Most come with SiRF III chip (ditto most newer gpsr models)
     
  • Lovely voice (nRoute) ; easily changeable to other voice sets (foreign language – French sounds kinda sexy, male/female voice)
     
  • Unlimited memory (well… depends on memory card) (ditto most newer gpsr models)
     
  • Unlimited tracking/tracklog (GPSProxy)
     
  • Form factor smaller and thinner (compared to average Garmin unit)
     
  • PDA functions (eg. MP3 music) + cellphone (PDA dependent) + camera (PDA dependent)
     
  • Ability to use other maps (eg. MapKing) but who needs them when we have Malsingmaps
     
  • Ability to load/select different basemaps (but who really needs them ?)
     
  • Ease of manipulating different file/map sets and versions
     
  • Last longer on single battery charge (generally) (but gpsr allows you to change batteries when juices run out)
     
  • VGA mode (PDA dependent) (ditto most newer gpsr models.)
     
  • Won't get branded a Geek if spotted with alien-looking Garmin unit (worse still, to those uninitiated, may think it's outdated cellphone model) - if you are afraid, what are you doing in this website then ??
     
  • Can have Gps trackable maps for anywhere in the world using OziExplorer(CE), Gps navigation usage is not limited to availability of Gpsr device compatible maps.
     

 

Cons

  • Not as rugged - if no external antenna, have to expose to the sun to get good signal - not sure if PDA's were built for this. Think about leaving your PDA exposed to sunlight from say, KL to Singapore.
     
  • If your PDA fries in the sun, all your data on it is fried as well ... the more data you have on your PDA, the greater the pain if this happens!
     
  • Not waterproof (unless enclose in ziplock or pay for one of those special cases)
     
  • Not as shockproof (test at your own risk)
     
  • No barometer/altimeter, compass features (useful but provided you use them)
     
  • No proximity warning
     
  • Not as user friendly for Geocaching (provided you are interested)
     
  • Totally useless if your car having a Vkool tinting (and some other brand) with no external antenna or SirfIII. (who cares?! we are bikers.)
     

War is Peace.

Freedom is Slavery.

Ignorance is Strength.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the GPS receiver is connected via bluetooth mah. so its unnecessary to have the set exposed to the sunlight from here to KL. just the receiver would do.

 

 

but if u are using to find a partitular location, eg Muar hot spring. then its a different thing. but then again... there's the voice feature of mapking to tell u turn left or right.

 

anyone has the CD? can share ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by JoOs7eR@Sep 17 2006, 05:12 AM

Erm... Isit Worth The Invest On This Gagdet?

if you enjoy the shiok feeling of exploring a town or city, with no worries of getting lost or can't remember the way back to your hotel.

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by josean@Sep 17 2006, 03:47 PM

the GPS receiver is connected via bluetooth mah. so its unnecessary to have the set exposed to the sunlight from here to KL. just the receiver would do.

 

 

but if u are using to find a partitular location, eg Muar hot spring. then its a different thing. but then again... there's the voice feature of mapking to tell u turn left or right.

 

anyone has the CD? can share ?

Actually the price of a blue tooth GPS sensor & Mapking maps is close to $300. The price of a standalone garmin legend CX is $410. Not much difference really.

 

The software you talking about is the Garmin Que? I think there is forum talking about this, how to install & configure. Can try searching. As long as the garmin Que has a voice function, you just have to dowload the routable maps (FOC) from malsing & other website. Que users please correct me.

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by floppy@Sep 17 2006, 03:22 PM

the following is copied from malsingmaps. my comments in italics:

:smile: we must thank floppy for such detailed analysis.

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have been reading very useful information here. Thanks for sharing.

 

In fact, I am using Garmin Que on Ipaq 5500. A simple but yet effective system for me. I don't travel as much as I use to be, but this handy divice seems to work for me as long as it don't rain......:cheeky:

 

Hornestly, I am currently saving money to get Garmin 60CSX. In fact I like tracking alot, and hope by getting the system, I will not need to rely on maps anymore.....:smile:

DISCLAIMER

The comments made here are my own personal opinions and experiences.

It is entirely dependent on the readers' discrepancy and understanding of the information posted.

 

南无阿弥托佛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all

 

Just got the Garmin GPSMap60CSx . Ordered it from Amazon, total cost (inc. shipping and GST) works out to be S$670.

 

Downloaded the Sing-Malaysia map from malsing. Unit works pretty well and looks rugged.

 

Only tried the auto-routing feature and measured the distance of a route that i frequently take when jogging. Any other cool features that the unit is capable of?

 

By the way, is there a user function in the unit that allows the default brightness of the unit to be increased? Was driving last night and can't see s*** from the screen without the backlight being activated. Sometimes the turn warning comes on very late and it'll be helpful if the 'moving map' is constantly illuminated. I know you can turn the backlight to 'always on', but it's troublesome to switch back and forth (in daytime and at night).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The auto-switching between day and night is automatic for Garmin Que. Therefore, I never find any difficulties while either reading in the day or at night while riding.....The only problem is....the battery life is short....

 

Like last night, use it for barely 3 hours and the Ipaq is screeming "OUT OF BATTERY"......:sian:

 

I would love to see the 60CSX as I have intention to get it somewhere towards the end of this week.

 

As for 60CSX, wow...there are lots of things you can do with it.

1) Hiking

2) Fishing

3) Rock Climbing

4) Travelling (Especially in Malaysia)

5) GeoCaching (if you are in it....it is quite fun, I have seen ppl doing it, but because my Ipaq has limited batery and mobility, I did not join

6) Recce

7) Mapping

8) Safari (If you are in Indonesia)

9) Sharing your POI with interest group (lots to chat about)

 

You can add on, but that is what I am going to do once I get my 60CSX.....

:smile:

DISCLAIMER

The comments made here are my own personal opinions and experiences.

It is entirely dependent on the readers' discrepancy and understanding of the information posted.

 

南无阿弥托佛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wow, there sure are a lot of uses.

 

just got another boh-liao use for the GPS... ETA at ERP gantry... wahahahahah...

 

was deciding whether to put cash card for the South-bound CTE ERP gantry since it is close to 8pm. took a look at the Active Route and which showed the ETA for the Braddell exit to be 7:49pm.

 

when i passed the gantry it was showing 7:48...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How I used my GPS today:-

Today I went to Kulai by second link after finish work at 5.15pm. Reach there 6.20pm before dark. Its a straight NShighway & exit to Kulai. Quite a no. of nice seafood restaurants & makan places there. Hardly any heavy traffic which you normally will see at this time in JB. That place is where the West Thread peeps like to go for their late tim sum supper. Had the GPS coordinates saved when I join them 2 weeks ago. It looks so different when I recce the place before dark.

Bought some chinese serial dvds at road side stall. Ate a bowl of Wanton mee at a kopi tiam, while observing people & night activities on the streets. Then return Spore by first link. Quite fun expereince.

 

The whole journey if I dun have a GPS will take longer time, coz I probably be lost or running in circles in jb town or some where.

 

 

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • DAIS_ShellBAU2024_Motorcycle_SingaporeBikesBanner_300x250.jpg

     
×
×
  • Create New...