SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Do you gear up when riding?

arthur_chan

Do you gear up when riding?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Do you gear up when riding?

• Yes
    • No

First of all...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK. Sorry. *ahem*

Now. Seriously. I don't understand why ppl would bother to plonk down cash .... say.... $300 on an Arai Ram.

Let's say, touchwood, you hit something and fly off your bike face first into the tarmac, or rear end of a vehicle.

Using a $30 L.A.B. open face helmet, your face will look like pepperoni pizza.

Using a $300 Arai Ram open face helmet, your face will STILL look like pepperoni pizza.

There is simply no protection. So why bother to spend that kind of money on an open face?

Yah you got a point there .. but maybe he has budget constraints ..

i can feel you for that

i've broken my jaw in 2 places & 8 teeth at the same time

coulnd't eat or talk properly for months

so even though i am on a 2b bike, i still use a full face flip up...

Don't say Class2B bike .. you can break your jaws even if you are running on in the park or riding a Mountain Bike!! :p

c26492.jpg

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't say Class2B bike .. you can break your jaws even if you are running on in the park or riding a Mountain Bike!! :p

but for 300 clams you can get a pretty decent "less branded" flip up or full face...

and i didn't break my jaw riding or at the park!

i was at a bar and was taking a walk outside (was only into my first drink) and then suddenly passed out, apparently i was told after i regained consciousness that i passed out and hit the pin ball table before hitting the concrete floor...

*O*U*C*H*

my jaw was ok looking b4... wished that i hit my nose so would've had a good reason to have cosmetic surgery on my nose :p hahaha juz j/k

Grounded... :/

Exactly why he should have just bought a LAB open face and saved more money.

Then he can add that $$ saved to his future full-face fund.

Seriously... U know where I'm getting at. An open face is an open face, regardless of the brand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

but for 300 clams you can get a pretty decent "less branded" flip up or full face...

and i didn't break my jaw riding or at the park!

i was at a bar and was taking a walk outside (was only into my first drink) and then suddenly passed out, apparently i was told after i regained consciousness that i passed out and hit the pin ball table before hitting the concrete floor...

*O*U*C*H*

my jaw was ok looking b4... wished that i hit my nose so would've had a good reason to have cosmetic surgery on my nose :p hahaha juz j/k

Sounds dramatic.

You sure you didn't shout something like SPAAAAAAAARRRTTTAAAAAA.... or LUMMMMPAAAAAAARRRRRRR .... or maybe TIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMBBBEERRRRRRRRRRRR as you were taking the dive? :p :P

Seriously... U know where I'm getting at. An open face is an open face, regardless of the brand.

yea, i agree man.. in fact, full face can probably be cheaper than an open face arai.. it's just the heat.. but honestly, NOTHING can replace your face lah.. so a little discomfort is really worth it - else just take a bus or cab! :p Ultimately, it's so so much cheaper than a trip to the hospital!!

200 bucks for a pair of bluetooth headsets.. worth it bo?

First of all...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK. Sorry. *ahem*

Now. Seriously. I don't understand why ppl would bother to plonk down cash .... say.... $300 on an Arai Ram.

Let's say, touchwood, you hit something and fly off your bike face first into the tarmac, or rear end of a vehicle.

Using a $30 L.A.B. open face helmet, your face will look like pepperoni pizza.

Using a $300 Arai Ram open face helmet, your face will STILL look like pepperoni pizza.

There is simply no protection. So why bother to spend that kind of money on an open face?

wah.. so bad ah laugh at me. but seriously, i've tried wearing full face, doing deliveries. i'll die from the heat!! so, i trust my instinct to be safe while at work. come on la. it's just a friendly neighbourhood. with all the TPs hot patrolling in my area, i'm banking all my luck on me not hitting the tarmac face first.

and arai ram III is not $300. it's $680 brand new. totally not worth. i'll rather plunk that amount of money on 2 fullfaces.

ya la.. saving money to upgrade my bike soon and when getting my next bike, getting a new fullface perhaps to suit the bike.:angel:

as explained above. and i really doubt LAB open face can be that comfortable when riding. and that's where i draw the fine line between budget and quality. an EVO helmet i just bought just now cost $70. and i ask for a free head liner as well. haha... and the helmet look great. if not for my brandless helmet with the visor screw got problem and my hyper racing helmet being in a very poor condition, i'll just stick to either of these 2 helmets for deliveries.

and i already have a full face which i would use when riding bike except when doing deliveries. but waiting for stock to come so that i can replace the inner pads with a smaller size of M rather than L which is quite loose already after seasoned. and when the shop regina says stock will come in 2 weeks, do they really mean it or do they just anyhow whack only?

and i have a friend who wears an Arai Ram III, and it really feels good and comfortable. aerodynamically is very good, can feel the difference of air flow inside helmet. and the point that you point out where all open face helmets are the same is wrong! arai ram has a locking device at the visor such that should you hit the ground visor first, the visor won't be flicked up from the impact. unless you are really that unlucky that the helmet fell in such an angle where the visor is dislodged from its lock.

You haven't thought about the visor breaking into pieces in an open face, have you? What's the good in locking the visor down if it is all smashed up in the first place? :lol:

While on the other hand, if you fall face first with the full face, the chin bar will probably take the impact. That is of course assuming that you're not so unlucky that the impact is so great to be able to break the chin bar. :angel:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/eedwinn89/IMG_4518-1-1.jpg

So far in my riding experiences, I've tried many types of open, full and flip face helmets.

For FF, I prefer and have used Arai and Shoei, but will consider AGV and Suomy perhaps.

For flip-faces, I've used the Multitec... and have tried the Syncrotec and Nolan N-100. I'll go with Shoei on this.

For open face, I've tried the RAM3, I've also tried the mid-range ones, and the el-cheapo LAB Indexes and Evos. I personally find them all the same. Open face being what they are will always be cooling.

But I seriously doubt that if you face plant yourself into the road, that RAM3 visor will help at all. More than likely, like my friend, the visor will shatter or cave in and slice up your face instead.

I smell pepperoni!

that's a good heads up! thanks for your info. guess arai ram or other reputable brand's half face will never be on my list again. you ever tried scrambler helmets or supermoto helmets? i know i don't need to choose right now but i'm wondering if wearing a scrambler full face helmet + goggles offers the same protection as wearing a supermoto helmet like shoei hornet DS. or normal full face is still the best?

that's a good heads up! thanks for your info. guess arai ram or other reputable brand's half face will never be on my list again. you ever tried scrambler helmets or supermoto helmets? i know i don't need to choose right now but i'm wondering if wearing a scrambler full face helmet + goggles offers the same protection as wearing a supermoto helmet like shoei hornet DS. or normal full face is still the best?

Nope. I've never used MX helmets in my life. I haven't owned an MX before.

Note. I've TRIED a RAM3... not owned it. A friend had one as a pillion helmet that I used, when I rode shotgun to go collect my bike from the shop once. In my impression, the RAM3 was similar to any other open face. No diff to me. But that's my opinion.

The only helmets I've owned are: Shoei RF800, A few cheapo LAB open face: Index... Sumo... Evo, cheapo LAB Zeus flip-face, Arai Rapide OR, Shoei Multitec.

The best of them were the Arai Rapide and Shoei Multitec.

IMO, if you feel hot, then get a flip-face. U can lift up the chinbar at traffic lights. Then flip it down when its time to go.

hi bros. Would a full face or flip up cost more considering if they are from the same brand and similar quality? Was considering between a FF or flip up cause flip might be more convenience.

A flip up gives you the convenience of an open face, plus some of the protection of a full face on the move. It's still not as strong as a full face. But it's ok for general use.

Go for the Shoei Multitec. From my 1.5 year's use, I'd say it's pretty good.

With regards to the discussion on flip-ups, FF and open face, this is my take based on experience.

1) wearing a FF is all about habit. Wear it for 2 months and then when you switch to open, somehow though cooling, you will feel that your face is "naked" and does not offer as much protection as the FF.

2) Flip-ups are risky at best. what is holding the chin guards in place is the joints at the side. All that is needed is an impact at the joint to break the joint and all protection is over.

This is based on my experience. I was wearing an OGK aeroblade II at the point of my accident. The joint for the visor is covered and protected. I was unlucky enough to have the impact at the side and cover gave way. Lucky it's an FF and I was wearing shades so my eyes were still protected.

1 more thing to note is that get visors which are bendable so that on impact they do not shatter.

Rebuilding my dreams. But first, the gears

1) WP RS Taichi riding jacket

2) WP riding pants

3) Titanium riding gloves

4) Garmine Nuvi 550 GPS (US$259)

5) WP Komine riding boots

6) Arai Helmet

7) The BIKE of course! :cheeky:

A flip up gives you the convenience of an open face, plus some of the protection of a full face on the move. It's still not as strong as a full face. But it's ok for general use.

Go for the Shoei Multitec. From my 1.5 year's use, I'd say it's pretty good.

How much does the multitec cost ? btw, who know if I can get akuma helmets in singapore ? if yes, where ? thanks = )

Nope. I've never used MX helmets in my life. I haven't owned an MX before.

Note. I've TRIED a RAM3... not owned it. A friend had one as a pillion helmet that I used, when I rode shotgun to go collect my bike from the shop once. In my impression, the RAM3 was similar to any other open face. No diff to me. But that's my opinion.

The only helmets I've owned are: Shoei RF800, A few cheapo LAB open face: Index... Sumo... Evo, cheapo LAB Zeus flip-face, Arai Rapide OR, Shoei Multitec.

The best of them were the Arai Rapide and Shoei Multitec.

IMO, if you feel hot, then get a flip-face. U can lift up the chinbar at traffic lights. Then flip it down when its time to go.

hmm.. but will the chinbar also fly up when you hit the pavement?

200 bucks for a pair of bluetooth headsets.. worth it bo?

How much does the multitec cost ? btw, who know if I can get akuma helmets in singapore ? if yes, where ? thanks = )

I got mine at just under 500.

But I bought 2 of them, so got a bit of discount la. Last I heard, it retails from between 490 to 520.

Maybe it will, or maybe it won't. There's no guarantee, right, with a flip-face?

Depends on the severity of the impact.

riding a offroad style helmet is not the very best. the chinguard arent that solid as the fullface road helmet. you could see significant less paddings on the chin area than the regular road ff. try pushing your ff towards your lips, you will be surprise how easy it goes, so my take is, even with a fullface, a front impact at certain angle will still get our lips busted, and more so with those little front chin paddings offered by the mx helmet

not only that, at higher speed cruising gonna feel wind resistance pulling your neck. and when using goggles in the rain, face is gonna get all soak up cold in heavy rain

http://www.webventure.com.br/multimidia/fotos/2009/ft_20090102-070821_30_g.jpg

http://anniedakar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/broken_helmet_054.jpg?w=300&h=263

http://anniedakar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/annie_bluenose_048.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/54c3gg.gif

you could check out the chinguard ratings over here

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/details/?id=118

the nolan flipup model in the above link, remained fully locked in 100% of the impact testing. some other models like shark got 90++ % and so on

helmet ratings could check it out on the same webby as well

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

personally i find it a great webby to use it as a reference when purchasing new helmets

the ratings and testing of helmet are by the "snell" or some sort of similar group i think

riding a offroad style helmet is not the very best. the chinguard arent that solid as the fullface road helmet. you could see significant less paddings on the chin area than the regular road ff. try pushing your ff towards your lips, you will be surprise how easy it goes, so my take is, even with a fullface, a front impact at certain angle will still get our lips busted, and more so with those little front chin paddings offered by the mx helmet

not only that, at higher speed cruising gonna feel wind resistance pulling your neck. and when using goggles in the rain, face is gonna get all soak up cold in heavy rain

http://www.webventure.com.br/multimidia/fotos/2009/ft_20090102-070821_30_g.jpg

http://anniedakar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/broken_helmet_054.jpg?w=300&h=263

http://anniedakar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/annie_bluenose_048.jpg

gosh! that seems to hurt real bad. so my guess is those people on the road wearing fullface helmet with goggles are more for style eh? looks over safety eh? which helmet can compromise well on both aspects and goes well with scramblers?

gosh! that seems to hurt real bad. so my guess is those people on the road wearing fullface helmet with goggles are more for style eh? looks over safety eh? which helmet can compromise well on both aspects and goes well with scramblers?

actually it stills protect ar, better than 3/4 face. nt everyone can afford 2 good different helmet i guess, some casual offroad riders just settle down on a good offroad helmet. when going offroad, cant use normal road helmet, when visor is pull down really hard to see when there are alot of sand gushing toward your face as compared to wearing a pair of goggles

actually we dont really see much pp wearing offroad helmet + goggles otr. mostly motard style helmet