SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Do you gear up when riding?

arthur_chan

Do you gear up when riding?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Do you gear up when riding?

• Yes
    • No

thanks for the encouragement guys :) ...

on another note. when i was in Perth last year for a biz trip. i can see all their fast food delivery people wearing proper gear and all with riding jackets with reflective strips, gloves etc...etc... don't you all think it would be a good idea if the govt could step in and start with the fast food companies to make it mandatory for them to provide the basic safety essentials? and they are zipping about the roads all the time so in a way would be good as ATGATT ambassadors?

i thought of writing into the ST forum for this... what do you all think?

that will be many years to come for it to happen. if we start seeing our TP suiting up then there will be progress.

Did you realise TP riding boots costs more than their MHR helmet? That goes to show the purchasers and the people who approves it knows very little about safety wear for their staff.

The best armor is to keep out of range...Italian Proverb

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the encouragement guys :) ... in fact if anyone recalls i did a self skid and broke my tail bone sliding and hitting the kerb, thats y i missed the last HOV session heh... the ambulance guys were pretty happy to see that i was kitted up and they didn't say it but can feel as if they would like to say that they wished every case they attended too was kitted up.

and of course other than the broken ass i didn't get anything else...

on another note. when i was in Perth last year for a biz trip. i can see all their fast food delivery people wearing proper gear and all with riding jackets with reflective strips, gloves etc...etc... don't you all think it would be a good idea if the govt could step in and start with the fast food companies to make it mandatory for them to provide the basic safety essentials? and they are zipping about the roads all the time so in a way would be good as ATGATT ambassadors?

i thought of writing into the ST forum for this... what do you all think?

*Note to self:

Buy those small square mini-pillows and superglue them to the ass of riding pants to prevent broken tailbone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

that will be many years to come for it to happen. if we start seeing our TP suiting up then there will be progress.

Did you realise TP riding boots costs more than their MHR helmet? That goes to show the purchasers and the people who approves it knows very little about safety wear for their staff.

I am also wondering y the TP are not gearing up. Aint they suppose to promote road safety? Why open face and not full face? Why no riding jacket? TP = Wouldn't fall???:dot:

I am also wondering y the TP are not gearing up. Aint they suppose to promote road safety? Why open face and not full face? Why no riding jacket? TP = Wouldn't fall???:dot:

I believe the TP enforcement guys themselves are not stupid. While some may be reluctant to change their old habits, others will likely wish they could wear a full face. The fact that we never see a single TP rider wear full face helmet before could be due to protocols that forbid them to do so. If the bureaucracy could change such rules (if any) to allow officers to wear a full face if they wished to, you can bet their fleet will "upgrade" pretty quickly.

In any case, this is their internal policy. I doubt we peasants can do much to change ah gong's policies. Or can we? Anyone feel like writing to strait's times?

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

It's an Us vs Them world.... :D

I think we shouldn't interfere, and wait for a TP faceplant to happen, then see if their regulations change toward the safety of their own workforce.

I agree with you its politically incorrect to comment on their internal policies. However, its really us who can effect a change in their policies. TP enforcement officers themselves may want change, but they will never challenge their hierachy and command. It is the public, and that is us, outside their system, who can make noise about it. Hopefully before the faceplants happen.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

I agree with you its politically incorrect to comment on their internal policies. However, its really us who can effect a change in their policies. TP enforcement officers themselves may want change, but they will never challenge their hierachy and command. It is the public, and that is us, outside their system, who can make noise about it. Hopefully before the faceplants happen.

Oh no... don't misread me please. It's not about being PC.

I don't really care for the Teeps much. Live or die, it's their damned problem. I only know that I've to keep my eye out for them when I'm moving fast. :lol:

I'm just flatly saying that, just like the SAF, it will take a major incident, like a Teep losing his lower jaw in an accident, before they relook their policies.

So... meh... :dozed:

Had two major incidents that I posted elsewhere as "cgl":

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?p=207725#post207725

I had the habit of wearing armoured jacket, full face helmet with leather gloves for about 6 years.

For the first incident when I skidded, the lower portion and visor of the full face was badly damaged. Can't imagine what will happen to my chin if i was wearing an open face. Armoured mesh jacket protected my elbow. Was wearing a fabric Harley gloves and that was useless. My knuckles, fingers and palm were bleeding for many days.

For the second incident, my helmet really protected my head. The doc was amazed that I had no head injuries. Armoured mesh jacket protected my shoulders and elbows. The impact on the ground was huge but except for a slight concussion, almost not much injury. Had leather gloves with hard knuckle protection. Hands unscathed.

Of course, nothing can protect you if you got crushed by oncoming vehicles, but at least for relatively "minor" accidents, we can still walk away and not affect our bread and butter.

A good full face and leather gloves, I think, are essential. Mesh jackets are comfortable enough for our climate and offers good protection. Riding boots if possible too. Read somewhere that lower body injuries are most common in bike accidents.

By the way, most bike accidents happen close to home. It could be a trip to work or buying groceries.

Edited by cgl

1992: Suzuki GN125

1995: Suzuki Intruder 400

2000: BMW R1100R

2006: Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Low

2008: BMW F800ST

2011: BMW R1200R Classic (still riding)

2015: Harley Davidson Low Rider

I was just wondering, do you guys make your pillions gear up as well? At least for loved ones who you pillion often, do you make them wear FF, gloves and jacket as well? I think its rather stupid if the rider is dressed up but the pillion is only wearing a helmet and maybe even shorts and slippers.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s351/thenation_bucket/whowatches.jpg

I was just wondering, do you guys make your pillions gear up as well? At least for loved ones who you pillion often, do you make them wear FF, gloves and jacket as well? I think its rather stupid if the rider is dressed up but the pillion is only wearing a helmet and maybe even shorts and slippers.

minimum for my pillon is long pants and flip up helmet..

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

Pillion should have same attire as the rider.

The best armor is to keep out of range...Italian Proverb

tatz y i am planning to get a flip up for my gf tis sat. :)

My pillion is even more geared up than me.

I don't wear gloves and a jacket most of the time. Lazy.

She does, all of the time.

The CE armours are all waterproof. Its the jacket that is not. You can find them at the major bike apparrel stores such as Motorworld, Regina etc...

The CE armours are all waterproof. Its the jacket that is not. You can find them at the major bike apparrel stores such as Motorworld, Regina etc...

Thanks!

2 questions:

- What's 'CE'

- By wterproof, do you mean that the wearer will be kept dry in heavy rain cos of a inner lining, but the outer jacket will get wet?

Thanks!

2 questions:

- What's 'CE'

- By wterproof, do you mean that the wearer will be kept dry in heavy rain cos of a inner lining, but the outer jacket will get wet?

CE has no meaning as an abbreviation, but may have originally stood for European accordance (European Community) or Conformité Européenne ("European Conformity").

What he means is that only the guards are waterproof... the wearer will be in NO way kept dry because of the guards... unless THE JACKET is waterproof.

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

i dont think by wearing it this way, the intention is for asphalt protection... it is mainly for sun protection and fair skin maintenance :p

Just a comment:

Don't ever use ur windbreaker as a riding jacket, cause it doesn't offer any protection at all :) I see some bikers wearing long sleeve jackets the other round, thinking that it will protect them. It's as good as not wearing ...

2008 Night Rod Special, 1993 Ducati 900SS, 2011 Ducati Diavel Dark Knight

http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/2/5/9/7/0/_147621.jpg

Hey, I'm happy to hear that you think in this manner! When I was riding a Phantom, I was wearing my full gears and yes, it's the embarrassment that keeps people from wearing the gears.

Firstly, people think that we are posers.

Secondly, I would like to highlight is that no one likes to be the "highlight", you don't want to stand out...hence most people don't wear full gears for fear of embarrassment!

I hope that the mentality of more Singaporean riders will be transformed!

Embarrassment? What embarrassment? I think wearing a full face, riding jacket and gloves looks really good with any bike. Been gearing up when I was on a 2B scooter.

The longer I am on the road, the more I want to be fully covered and protected. Although there are still some times when riding around the neighbourhood, I tend to slacken.

My only regret was me procrastinating about getting a riding jacket. And before I got it, I got into an accident, leaving a "map of africa" on my forearm. So if you are still thinking about getting it on your next payday... Better pray nothing happens in between.

Posted this before... Picture speaks a thousand words. Imagine it on your face...

DSC00148-1.jpg

c'est la vie~

thanks for posting your injury, reminding us to gear up whenever we are on our bikes..

question, where do you guys keep your riding jackets? or you all just wear it wherever you all go? there's no where for me to keep it cos i have 2 ff in my maxia box.. wearing it will be a little too hot..

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

that's if you only have 1 ff in your box.. i have 2.. all the time. i dun see there's any way i can squeeze my jacket into my box, my pillon's helmet have 1 set of raingear inside, my helmet have 1 set.. how you secure it outside your bike?

thanks for posting your injury, reminding us to gear up whenever we are on our bikes..

question, where do you guys keep your riding jackets? or you all just wear it wherever you all go? there's no where for me to keep it cos i have 2 ff in my maxia box.. wearing it will be a little too hot..

Riding a scooter, so i keep my jacket n raincoat under my seat, flip up in e rear box... I only bring out my pillion flip up wen I pillion ppl, can free up a lot of space in my rear box to put my book n lap top