SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Do you gear up when riding?

arthur_chan

Do you gear up when riding?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Do you gear up when riding?

• Yes
    • No

is wearing a proper riding jacket helpful or just any denim jacket will do?

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course proper riding jacket! Motorcycles' jacket are made for a reason isn't it!

Other denim jackets are only useful in preventing all the pollutants from getting in contact with your skin, as well as preventing sun burn. :lol:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/eedwinn89/IMG_4518-1-1.jpg

Posted this before... Picture speaks a thousand words. Imagine it on your face...

Doi!! :slapforehead: This is M18 stuff... I have a weak stomach...

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

Posted this before... Picture speaks a thousand words. Imagine it on your face...

This picture is really... :puke: Oopsy... but yes, that is really what might happen if you don't wear proper riding gear though...

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

Doi!! :slapforehead: This is M18 stuff... I have a weak stomach...

This picture is really... :puke: Oopsy... but yes, that is really what might happen if you don't wear proper riding gear though...

Mai kua zhang leh you two.

It's just a bit of pink. I've seen steaks bloodier than that..... :dozed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

It's just a bit of pink. I've seen steaks bloodier than that..... :dozed:

Umm... of course I know that... Mine was many times worse than that... :(

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

Oh no... don't misread me please. It's not about being PC.

I don't really care for the Teeps much. Live or die, it's their damned problem. I only know that I've to keep my eye out for them when I'm moving fast. :lol:

I'm just flatly saying that, just like the SAF, it will take a major incident, like a Teep losing his lower jaw in an accident, before they relook their policies.

So... meh... :dozed:

talking about the SAF,

i'm a rider in the SAF and i believe apart from the elbow and knee guards, the bike crashbar,

nothing protects the rider.

i wonder if they change their helmet periodically.

helmets from years ago still in use.

aint helmets suppose to be replaces every few years?

* Honda Varadero XL125V2 * Yamaha Spark T135LC 08 * Honda Foresight FES250 * BMW F650GS K72 * Honda Super4 Revo CB400 NC42 * Yamaha Spark T135LC 12 * BMW R1200GS LC K50 *

talking about the SAF,

i'm a rider in the SAF and i believe apart from the elbow and knee guards, the bike crashbar,

By right SAF should replace helmets every few years or so. But if you haven't realize and nobody told u, SAF personnel can do things by left as long as nobody gets caught.

How long more to ORD?

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

talking about the SAF,

It's ok man. Just use your kevlar combat helmet.

If that can deflect a round, it can take the road impact and protect your coconut. SAF rules! :cheers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

This is what happens when u wear only a normal jacket lor.. n without gloves..

Was goin at 70km/hr on extreme left lane of TPE towards SLE. Went over a 1.5m long, square wooden log about 15cm high right smack in the centre of the lane. no time n no space to siam coz goin downslope.. bike went over the log, flipped, headlight crack, handle bar crooked, brake lever bent.

went down together with the bike, slide on the road for about 10m from one lamp post to the other. both knuckles kenna abrasion jialat jialat..:cry:

my only relief was that my full-faced helmet saved my face. First impact on the floor was my chin, then my head turn to the side then slide down the road. if without my full-faced AGV i think now i disfigured liao.. maybe missing my chin n half side of my face..if not for the helmet i think my jaw would have been broken into pieces liao...:cheeky:

total damage:skin on both knuckles, skin on right forearm (left forearm nothin coz my watch was grinded instead), skin on right shoulder, sprained jaw,sprained left arm, abrasion on both kneecap, canvas shoe kenna buah until like got torn apart by mad dog(if i was wearing slippers i think confirm can see bone).

Newly acquired PPE: komine armoured jacket, komine riding jeans, alpinestars carbon knuckle glove. new visor for helmet.:thumb:

will never go onto expressways without them. from my house(hougang) to sch, NTU(boonlay) takes 40mins n 30+ km on the roads. TPE->SLE->mandai->BKE->PIE->boonlay

then another 30+ km if i go home from sch.. only when u fall den u realise the importance of PPE.

no one wants accidents to happen but when it happens, u'll definitely be glad that u geared up (if u manage to walk out alive)

*u wont want to taste the asphalt again when u experience the time wasted standing in the clinic for half an hr for the nurse to clean ur wounds and scrub off the clothing fibre that is stuck in your skin with alcohol*

:cheers:

DSC00082_mod.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

Edited by hanwen

[ATTACH]94251[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]94252[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]94253[/ATTACH]

Was goin at 70km/hr on extreme left lane of TPE towards SLE. Went over a 1.5m long, square wooden log about 15cm high right smack in the centre of the lane. no time n no space to siam coz goin downslope.. bike went over the log, flipped, headlight crack, handle bar crooked, brake lever bent.

went down together with the bike, slide on the road for about 10m from one lamp post to the other. both knuckles kenna abrasion jialat jialat..:cry:

my only relief was that my full-faced helmet saved my face. First impact on the floor was my chin, then my head turn to the side then slide down the road. if without my full-faced AGV i think now i disfigured liao.. maybe missing my chin n half side of my face..if not for the helmet i think my jaw would have been broken into pieces liao...:cheeky:

total damage:skin on both knuckles, skin on right forearm (left forearm nothin coz my watch was grinded instead), skin on right shoulder, sprained jaw,sprained left arm, abrasion on both kneecap, canvas shoe kenna buah until like got torn apart by mad dog(if i was wearing slippers i think confirm can see bone).

Newly acquired PPE: komine armoured jacket, komine riding jeans, alpinestars carbon knuckle glove. new visor for helmet.:thumb:

will never go onto expressways without them. from my house(hougang) to sch, NTU(boonlay) takes 40mins n 30+ km on the roads. TPE->SLE->mandai->BKE->PIE->boonlay

then another 30+ km if i go home from sch.. only when u fall den u realise the importance of PPE.

no one wants accidents to happen but when it happens, u'll definitely be glad that u geared up (if u manage to walk out alive)

*u wont want to taste the asphalt again when u experience the time wasted standing in the clinic for half an hr for the nurse to clean ur wounds and scrub off the clothing fibre that is stuck in your skin with alcohol*

I'm glad to hear that you are converted to wearing full gear for riding! :thumb:

And yes, I can understand the kind of agony you went through... I know what is it to have sodium chloride poured onto your wounds directly! You can practically... :cry:

Anyway, it's a good thing to see you on SBF! Get well soon and see you on the roads soon! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

hmm no wonder couldnt find this thread, so it had been shifted to this section.

earlier saw another rider around jurong area wearing jeans, riding jacket, full face and glove =) similar gears as mine, wanted to wave at traffic light but my bike got some idling issues, had to maintain throttle if not will die =(

just about something i mention earlier in this thread, about the offroad helmets, it seems that mx helmet had a weak chinhttp://anniedakar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/annie_bluenose_048.jpg

http://www.webventure.com.br/multimidia/fotos/2009/ft_20090102-070821_30_g.jpg

this mx helmet definitely look more solid than mine rjay one but

http://anniedakar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/broken_helmet_054.jpg?w=300&h=263

riders using mx helmet for onroad use, might reconsider about it again

http://i44.tinypic.com/54c3gg.gif

saw a rider with full gear as well tis morning, turning into NTU from pionner north pie exit. I think he's is really full gear, cos he wearing riding boots if I am not wrong. Salute him. Riding a big bike as well but i could make out the model. I feel so puny wearing my armour jacket, glove and flip up and riding my yellow atlantic. :cheeky:

[ATTACH]94251[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]94252[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]94253[/ATTACH]

Wah luckily you can still live to tell us your story! Thanks for sharing with us. Actually you should not use your helmet anymore because it has taken impact already. Take care man.

To those who find it too hot or troublesome to wear protection, I hope their skin will be able to take it when rubbed against asphalt (hot asphalt if on a hot afternoon. try touching the road on a hot day & you'll know how hot it is). Remember, we are human, our skin is not leather!

Ride safe, or at least protect yourselves everyone!!

c26492.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you are converted to wearing full gear for riding! :thumb:

And yes, I can understand the kind of agony you went through... I know what is it to have sodium chloride poured onto your wounds directly! You can practically... :cry:

Anyway, it's a good thing to see you on SBF! Get well soon and see you on the roads soon! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

well.. one more thing to add is the pain is not one time at the clinic only lor.. after that everyday still need to bathe!

soap n water can really sting when ur wounds r raw.. lol.. forgot to add that i got abrasion on my stomach as well.. apparrently my stomach on big patch buah on the road for some distance also.. den look like raw ham..

n the 1st few nights after the accident the wounds keep on dripping puss.. every morning wake up whole t-shirt all wet with puss.. den must bathe to wash away pain like hell lor...its not abt cryin.. more of jumping in the toilet for the next few days ah...:faint:

only can say that if i were wearing gloves n a riding jacket all the abrasions would definitely not be so jialat..:dozed:

yeah.. am glad to know that the pple here are so pro-safety :)

nice meeting u guys!

Wah luckily you can still live to tell us your story! Thanks for sharing with us. Actually you should not use your helmet anymore because it has taken impact already. Take care man.

To those who find it too hot or troublesome to wear protection, I hope their skin will be able to take it when rubbed against asphalt (hot asphalt if on a hot afternoon. try touching the road on a hot day & you'll know how hot it is). Remember, we are human, our skin is not leather!

ya bro..thanks for the advice..

i know.. actually the helmet took quite a hard hit at the chin area.. until now, 2 weeks after the accident my jaw still sore.. got problem chewing food...

but no $ to buy helmet la.. maybe next month save up enuff liao den get a new one lor.. coz i spent my $ on my jacket n gloves n visor already..

after this incident i realise the importance of getting a reliable helmet.. so must save up 1st lor..

for now ride really really slow lor.. hopefully wont get any hard knocks on the head until then...:angel:

cheers~

Wah.... Thank you so much for the big highlights... As everyone should know, driving cars are metal protecting flesh and riding bikes are flesh protecting metal. Although I believe there are some brothers and sisters out there having financial issues for protection gears, however at least try to get whatever you can in your budget.

For example, I am having budget constraint as well and therefore I buy myself a pair of 219 gloves with carbon knuckle protection that cost not more than S$50 (if I still remember correctly) and a pair of Oxtar riding boots that cost around S$250 and I have been wearing it for more than 2 years already. As for protection jacket, I am still saving money for that as I can't find any "ok" quality protection jacket that are not so expensive...

To all brothers and sisters out there, bikes gone can buy new one but you can't get a replacement of yourself for your love ones...

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/uploads/av-17383.jpg

Ragards,

Kuppa

new visor for helmet.:thumb:

Is it legal in Spore ?? i mean to re-use the same helmet after an accident ?

Helmet is to be considered spoiled at first accident even if outer shell intact since polystyrene inside has been compacted by shock and will not protect next time !

Is it legal in Spore ?? i mean to re-use the same helmet after an accident ?

Helmet is to be considered spoiled at first accident even if outer shell intact since polystyrene inside has been compacted by shock and will not protect next time !

i dun think itz illegal.. how to prove that its been involved in an accident?

like that if i accidentally drop the helmet on the floor also must change helmet leh..

no $ to buy new FF helmet as for now la.. but still i feel safer with my accident FF than to use a half-face.. esp after sliding on the chin area on the road for like 10 metres?

visor change coz it was badly scratched from grazing the road..:angel:

• 2 weeks later...

glad that u r protected by proper gear bro.

=)

i use that route to go home from sch too. which part of mandai? is it immediately after the right turn into mandai from BKE exit? the roads are very uneven after the traffic light and have alot of sand because of all the construction trucks..

what bike were u riding by the way?

=)

i use that route to go home from sch too. which part of mandai? is it immediately after the right turn into mandai from BKE exit? the roads are very uneven after the traffic light and have alot of sand because of all the construction trucks..

Y do i have this feeling that u study in NTU? I am a student of NTU. Its that particular turn u mentioned. I am riding a maxiscoot atlantic, my gilat gilat painwork all gone on the right side, to think tat i religiously wax it every other week.

=)

i think i misread ur post.. i skid on the right turn onto mandai from bke.

Y do i have this feeling that u study in NTU? I am a student of NTU. Its that particular turn u mentioned. I am riding a maxiscoot atlantic, my gilat gilat painwork all gone on the right side, to think tat i religiously wax it every other week.

yeap, i study NTU too bro.. CEE4, u? i'm staying in hougang so i always take KJE->BKE->mandai->SLE to go home from sch..

gilat gilat paintwork can respray mah.. at least your skin is well protected.. better bring ur bike to do some safety checks at the workshop 1st ah..in case alignment run off..

ride safe and get well soon from the knee abrasions bro.. =)