SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi , im a newbie . I rode a ta150 .

Any of you guys can recommend anything to make it cool ?

Where do you guys recommend for Servicing ? Im living at Pasir Ris btw .

Whats turtle wax for ? where to buy it ? any shop in the east ?

is there any like fuel indicator or what for phantom ?

Pic available at profile .

Any idea how much does it cost to paint the rims ? is it a good idea ?

Edited by HalimHidayat

hi welcome into the PK family/

just like you im riding a ta150 and had been riding for a few months.

you may like to add some flexible LEDs at the rear as your 3rd brake light for safety.

for me, i have my HP mount and bottle holder on my handlebar for my comfort

PKs here will definetly recommend you 2 famous mechanic, ah chong from Planet and ah koon at lengkok bahru

known for their great knowledge and worksmanship.

turtlewax is a brand for car/bike's polish. you should find it almost everywhere. carrefour,sheng siong for eg.

sad to say, only phantom custom4 has fuel indicator.

ta150 do have a 2t indicator light but dont rely on that, its crap. just do your weekly topup of 2t(very important) or you will end up like me. piston jam and it will cost you a bomb.

if there is anything you need to know/find out, do look ard 1st before posting your question.

last but not least, RIDE SAFE bro

hi welcome into the PK family/

just like you im riding a ta150 and had been riding for a few months.

you may like to add some flexible LEDs at the rear as your 3rd brake light for safety.

for me, i have my HP mount and bottle holder on my handlebar for my comfort

PKs here will definetly recommend you 2 famous mechanic, ah chong from Planet and ah koon at lengkok bahru

known for their great knowledge and worksmanship.

turtlewax is a brand for car/bike's polish. you should find it almost everywhere. carrefour,sheng siong for eg.

sad to say, only phantom custom4 has fuel indicator.

ta150 do have a 2t indicator light but dont rely on that, its crap. just do your weekly topup of 2t(very important) or you will end up like me. piston jam and it will cost you a bomb.

if there is anything you need to know/find out, do look ard 1st before posting your question.

last but not least, RIDE SAFE bro

Hello , Thanks . Ive been riding for only one month , just got license a month ago . Can tell me more about planet and ah koon . its whereabouts and the price . ive got extra LED on my rear box , so dont think i need it .

Hi guys. Just wondering, anyone here using their TA200 as their transport/tour bike? I dont mean commuting bike whereby you need the bike just to travel around, but rather, you travel with your other gears around, like your laptops, DSLR cameras, mini picnic food etc?

I need your guys help as im doing a research on which bike im getting once i pass my TP next year(still taking 2B at stage 3.1, waiting RTT in dec). My main concern is that the bike would be used mainly to ferry me and my gf around in sg, and we tend to carry quite alot of items like: (some, i mean some, not alot, shopping items), her bag and my bag, sometimes i carry laptop + DSLR while she carries her uni textbook stuffs, plus our 2 helmets. A box at the rear is certainly not enough to fit all of these.

So im kinda looking at the TA200 where i seen people putting side boxes. I have some queries for you guys, really hope i can get sincere help from you guys :)

1) Are the side boxes rather big? Are they the same capacity as the rear box? Is it enough to fit one medium size helmet?

2) If lets say the above is possible, after installing the side boxes, can i still carry a pillion rider? Or will the side boxes interfere with the pillion's leg rest?

Really hope can get some help from you guys. Dont wish to get a bike whereby we are very limited to what we can carry :)

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

to be frank ta 200 is one of the only few 2b bikes where u can have many boxes, rear + side & not look weird... some phantom knights here do carry camera equipments on their phantom as well as lappys for school, if u find 3 box not enuff u can also carry ur own bag for ur lappy to be more on the safe side... if the rear box is big enough u could even squeeze in 2 ff helmets. as far as i kno, alot of us are useing e21 as our side panniers, with proper positioning of the panniers, it's not a problem to our pillion =)

1) Are the side boxes rather big? Are they the same capacity as the rear box? Is it enough to fit one medium size helmet?

2) If lets say the above is possible, after installing the side boxes, can i still carry a pillion rider? Or will the side boxes interfere with the pillion's leg rest?

Really hope can get some help from you guys. Dont wish to get a bike whereby we are very limited to what we can carry :)

Hello, gratz on getting license + bike so soon...

Side boxes are generally half the size of the biggest back boxes, you could carry a pillion though there are split grounds on comfort for the pillion. This is (to me) subjective because, like mentioned side boxes comes in variety of sizes from old army bullet cases, to the massive hard cased 46liters (which can carry half face helmet), though you might sacrifice maneuverability for space... It will also again generally not affect the pillion's leg rest, but you might have to shift the signal lights for greater comfort.

For me, my config is using just one 42 liter back box, and it has sufficient space to carry

A) if during transit, 2 laptops, raincoat, slippers, misc pouch, my pillion's bag, and quite comfortably at that

B) if parked, can keep the two helmets Must rearrange and slot the laptops in between them, we still have to hand carry say the bags, but other than that all else can adjust and squeeze a bit to keep .

If I going shopping alone, i can quite comfortably put behind one bag of 10kg rice, and say about 2-3 grocery bags of other stuff without the 2nd helmet being store inside.

Anyways, do let us know if you require any further queries =)

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

Ps double post

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

to be frank ta 200 is one of the only few 2b bikes where u can have many boxes, rear + side & not look weird... some phantom knights here do carry camera equipments on their phantom as well as lappys for school, if u find 3 box not enuff u can also carry ur own bag for ur lappy to be more on the safe side... if the rear box is big enough u could even squeeze in 2 ff helmets. as far as i kno, alot of us are useing e21 as our side panniers, with proper positioning of the panniers, it's not a problem to our pillion =)

Thanks man. Will take into consideration! =)

Hello, gratz on getting license + bike so soon...

Side boxes are generally half the size of the biggest back boxes, you could carry a pillion though there are split grounds on comfort for the pillion. This is (to me) subjective because, like mentioned side boxes comes in variety of sizes from old army bullet cases, to the massive hard cased 46liters (which can carry half face helmet), though you might sacrifice maneuverability for space... It will also again generally not affect the pillion's leg rest, but you might have to shift the signal lights for greater comfort.

For me, my config is using just one 42 liter back box, and it has sufficient space to carry

A) if during transit, 2 laptops, raincoat, slippers, misc pouch, my pillion's bag, and quite comfortably at that

B) if parked, can keep the two helmets Must rearrange and slot the laptops in between them, we still have to hand carry say the bags, but other than that all else can adjust and squeeze a bit to keep .

If I going shopping alone, i can quite comfortably put behind one bag of 10kg rice, and say about 2-3 grocery bags of other stuff without the 2nd helmet being store inside.

Anyways, do let us know if you require any further queries =)

Thanks man! Im still taking my licence and would be at least 2 months from TP(estimation). As for the shopping alone, kinda hard. Hahaha. Cause sometimes i shop with my gf at town or something, then we would also carry our own bags sometimes. So would be looking at a point whereby we went town to shop a lil(with about 2 medium common shopping bags), then our 2 bags and maybe some other stuffs :) My gf told me she dun mind carrying bag while being pillion, but i think that will change when i get my bike hahahaha.

As for shifting of signal lights, is it complicated? Would be a headache if it involves complex wiring and electronics. If its just unscrew bolts/screws, shift it further, think should be alrite =)

2A - On going...

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Thanks man. Will take into consideration! =)

Thanks man! Im still taking my licence and would be at least 2 months from TP(estimation). As for the shopping alone, kinda hard. Hahaha. Cause sometimes i shop with my gf at town or something, then we would also carry our own bags sometimes. So would be looking at a point whereby we went town to shop a lil(with about 2 medium common shopping bags), then our 2 bags and maybe some other stuffs :) My gf told me she dun mind carrying bag while being pillion, but i think that will change when i get my bike hahahaha.

As for shifting of signal lights, is it complicated? Would be a headache if it involves complex wiring and electronics. If its just unscrew bolts/screws, shift it further, think should be alrite =)

Actually, got another bike that can put 3 boxes on the bike also not ugly. Either FZ6 or FZ1. Very stylo-milo if got the side-box that is bigger.... but not cheap leh. 3 boxes like that about 1.5k.

Actually, got another bike that can put 3 boxes on the bike also not ugly. Either FZ6 or FZ1. Very stylo-milo if got the side-box that is bigger.... but not cheap leh. 3 boxes like that about 1.5k.

Wah those are Class 2 bikes leh. If got license and money i dont mind. XD Another look is actually XJ6-S(the one with fairring). But currently looking at Class 2B bikes, and TA200 at top of my list now :D

2A - On going...

I carry a mini-garage worth of tools, tyre repair can so I can assist broken down Johore commuters on the highway if I see them. (In theory. In practise, very hard to stop from 100kph cruising on Lane 2).

I also have lots of chain lube, a jacket, reflector vest, extra engine oil, and a polishing kit and that takes up all my 2x GIVI E21 side panniers with just enough space left for personal belongings to be stuffed in (I ride with empty pockets, safer).

Although I don't have a top box (for aero and stability reasons) I have used this bike for house moving where I just lash boxes to the metal luggage rack and/or rear seat. With the carburetor tuned for maximum low-end torque I had fun hauling stuff uphill to my new place and the Phantom is large enough in size to not have any stability penality while in this cargo mode.

Since it has a 200cc engine it can also cruise at 90-110 on the highway and maintain top practical fuel economy (40km/l). I can also crawl at ah pek speeds in traffic to get more mileage per litre. But the practical gain to stinge and go 60kph is not much. Make use of the big single piston. Big torque for a non-scrambler 2B, and does not complain when you rev to 10,000 so long as you're on at least semi-synthetic oil. Running with the latest full synthetics without oil consumption, requires preparation so don't bother unless you're getting a rebuilt engine.

The fun of it is for general purpose, a Phantom can happily endure years of commuting and cargo hauling. Or you can lighten her up, get rid of the intake and exhaust restrictions "refer to P4 - Potong Pasir Phantom Performance Team :P" and you have as much fun throwing your bike in Lim Chu Kang corners faster than some sports or (slightly) larger bikes can keep up. They may have more power but I have fat indestructible tyres ... and custom stiffened forks for razor sharp turn in :D

Unlike pure sports bikes, the Phantom will not kill you when you play - its top speed is mercifully slow, so full throttle all the way :D

Just... do not play in the wet. Fat tyres are not very good in the rain, coupled with torque and weight transfer issues on the long wheelbase.

I carry a mini-garage worth of tools, tyre repair can so I can assist broken down Johore commuters on the highway if I see them. (In theory. In practise, very hard to stop from 100kph cruising on Lane 2).

I also have lots of chain lube, a jacket, reflector vest, extra engine oil, and a polishing kit and that takes up all my 2x GIVI E21 side panniers with just enough space left for personal belongings to be stuffed in (I ride with empty pockets, safer).

Although I don't have a top box (for aero and stability reasons) I have used this bike for house moving where I just lash boxes to the metal luggage rack and/or rear seat. With the carburetor tuned for maximum low-end torque I had fun hauling stuff uphill to my new place and the Phantom is large enough in size to not have any stability penality while in this cargo mode.

Since it has a 200cc engine it can also cruise at 90-110 on the highway and maintain top practical fuel economy (40km/l). I can also crawl at ah pek speeds in traffic to get more mileage per litre. But the practical gain to stinge and go 60kph is not much. Make use of the big single piston. Big torque for a non-scrambler 2B, and does not complain when you rev to 10,000 so long as you're on at least semi-synthetic oil. Running with the latest full synthetics without oil consumption, requires preparation so don't bother unless you're getting a rebuilt engine.

The fun of it is for general purpose, a Phantom can happily endure years of commuting and cargo hauling. Or you can lighten her up, get rid of the intake and exhaust restrictions "refer to P4 - Potong Pasir Phantom Performance Team :P" and you have as much fun throwing your bike in Lim Chu Kang corners faster than some sports or (slightly) larger bikes can keep up. They may have more power but I have fat indestructible tyres ... and custom stiffened forks for razor sharp turn in :D

Unlike pure sports bikes, the Phantom will not kill you when you play - its top speed is mercifully slow, so full throttle all the way :D

Just... do not play in the wet. Fat tyres are not very good in the rain, coupled with torque and weight transfer issues on the long wheelbase.

Thanks for the info! Will take note!

2A - On going...

wow.. this week my bike's Fc very good... must be either ron 97 or i'm using full tank..

rode like 342km and it's not on my reserve tank yet..

take that i'm running on 35km Per L..

And 11L tank capacity??

this cant be true...

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

Hehe, the last 2.68 is in the reserve.

gentle to bike = great fc :D

our tank is how many Lites... the prob is.. 324km and i'm not on reserve.. can it be true?

Show me the sums kenny!! see logical anot.. my Fc is around 34-35km

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

If we are running 35km/l x 9.68 litres main tank (made mistake on the earlier post, I think Phantom manual says 9.68 main)

then theoretical main tank range = 338.8

However we always need to switch to reserve sometimes before that as the fuel sloshing about as we move makes the main intake unable to use all the fuel. (this gives the jerky effect)

You should be switching to reserve soon, perhaps at 330 or so. If not, some "magical fuel penguins" from @crazydj had found its way into your tank. Did you park with some YBRs lately? :D

thats why... i'm so shock when i calculated my distance traveljust now.... Not gonna feed it with msia petrol i guess... so after washing later.. i go pump lor..

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

Hi guys. Just wondering, anyone here using their TA200 as their transport/tour bike? I dont mean commuting bike whereby you need the bike just to travel around, but rather, you travel with your other gears around, like your laptops, DSLR cameras, mini picnic food etc?

After some intensive tech discussion at the bike washing session today we sort of noticed the TA200 can retain much of its fuel efficiency while carrying heavy loads or running at highway speeds. Having one big piston over the mechanical drag of multiple cylinders can be a boon for torque.

The interesting thing is that you can whack the bike all day long and economy doesn't seem to go down that far as well. That's because with only 2 valves and no variable valve timing the same amount of fuel burnt is more or less... the same? The engine only loses efficiency as the revs go higher and higher, dissuading any ultra-high RPM situations. That does make it a good cargo/pillion hauler although you will need larger throttle inputs and/or a richer carb setting to increase low end torque.

If you can get a good handling TA200 and tune it to your comfort and riding style, you can surprise some people tagging along with bigger bike convoys :D Note: Only on city streets, I have no horsepower!

Some of you may be wtf at this point but yes, I was invited to drop by and film this if I felt like it. There wasn't any preparation, just a simple food run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZLXk_hZ1M8

Doesn't look like Phantom speed does it? But it is. Stock...