SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

I got somewhat opposite problem.. had to tune to high idling on start up otherwise cant maintain rpm on cold start. during journey wen need to stop at traffic light, rpm will drop till engine die off unless i manual control throttle. but when in gear, it will maintain high enough rpm acting like a cruise control. And accompanied by backfire when ever i slow down / close throttle.

It was diagnosed as choke stuck yesterday. After changing to new choke, the rpm/throttling issue is resolved but there is still sound from the exhaust when i close throttle. The sound is different from the previous backfiring.. instead of "pop" or "boom", it now sounds like water boiling..

Wat do u guys think the problem is now?

Fuel-air mixture is over-rich. Play with that mixture screw (anticlockwise = lean, clockwise = rich).

Your issue (before choke fix) has identical characteristics with my "desert temperature rally / 36+ deg C" settings which calls for over-rich for maximum cooling for constant wide open throttle down industrial highways.

Don't set too lean or she will run hot. You'll know its too lean when there is no torque at all on the low end and cruises very hot.

After your choke enrichment circuit was fixed (correct!) the mixture is still rich thus unburnt fuel is exiting into the exhaust and slight afterburning occurs. Either leave it for the Subaru WRX effect, or lean it a bit down (1/4 turn - no harm to try.).

This is not a fatal issue as I've been running @ rich at low speed for extra torque (and I like the burbling), and lean for long range economy cruise. (yes it's possible to have 2 carb settings simultaneously if you get creative :D) Retained these general settings for more than 10,000km now.

Always remember the number of turns made in case you need to revert to previous settings.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know there is a fuel c0ck on the left of the bike correct?

Make sure it is "ON" and not on "Reserve". You will know you are low on fuel when the engine stalls when riding.

When that happens, turn the knob on the fuel c0ck to "Reserve"

If you want a more precise way to know how much fuel is left, you can...

1. Open the fuel tank's cap to see the petrol level inside. Can see fuel = more than 1/2 tank

2. Shake the bike around if you can hear the sploshing sound inside, that means that the fuel level inside is about 1/4 - 1/3

3. Knock on the side of the tank to hear the echo! :lol: (This one is old uncle/ Ah pek say one!)

4. Take a string tie a nut to it and lower into the fuel tank, then take out see how much is left, like using a dip stick to check engine oil level.

5. Drain out everything, use a measuring cyclinder to measure then pour everything back! :lol:

Edited by Silent Hunter

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Hi guys, im New to bike, and currently riding one, I need to ask if there's anyway to know that my bike is low on fuel or not. As there is no indicator, I'm quite worry when I'm on the road.

hi kan0n, there is no cause for worry! :thirsty:

I am going to assume that you are riding a TA200...

on the left side of your fuel tank, there is a petcock that can be turned to "on", "off", and "reserve". always point it to "on". you can happily ride your bike until suddenly the engine's sound change and then cuts off gradually, that is when you have used up the petrol in the "on" portion. just turn the petcock to "reserve" and continue riding. TA200's reserve has 2.6 litres of petrol, so that is 50km+ worth of petrol for you to find a petrol kiosk and refuel.

overtime, you would be able to turn the petcock on the move

always remember to turn the petcock to "on" once you have refueled!!!

:cheers:

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

Why does my bike doesnt have neutral gear ?

try trottle alittle and kick up to neutral gear again... Phantom old bike already. the gear box also old..

previous owner never give it to you ? :lol:

lol... he paid half price for the bike only most prob ;D

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

and just to add, initially sometimes my bike also abit hard to hit neutral, so if you need, can get the mech to "flush" your engine, they'll run some lubricants through your engine to so called clean it, for me, it made neutral easier to find...

and the rest of you guys are pure evil - "previous owner never give to you" lol =p

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

Hey guys, I will be getting my very first bike a TA200 soon and I have some questions that I can't find answers to in the stickies:

1. I would like to get side saddle bags. What would be the pros/cons to using side saddle bags vs a big box behind (besides the obvious cosmetic advantage). Any recommendations and price?

2. For safety I would like to get a bluetooth full faced helmet and proper riding gear. Any recommendations and pricing?

3. How much would 3rd party cost me approx for a 33 yr old new rider? I can't use my NCD from my car to offset right? Possible to get insurance before passing TP?

Thanks in advance bros!

Hey guys, I will be getting my very first bike a TA200 soon and I have some questions that I can't find answers to in the stickies:

1. I would like to get side saddle bags. What would be the pros/cons to using side saddle bags vs a big box behind (besides the obvious cosmetic advantage). Any recommendations and price?

Waterproofing / Security issues for saddle bags.

2. For safety I would like to get a bluetooth full faced helmet and proper riding gear. Any recommendations and pricing?

Set your focus on the road. The pricing varies according to your budget.

3. How much would 3rd party cost me approx for a 33 yr old new rider? I can't use my NCD from my car to offset right? Possible to get insurance before passing TP?

Call NTUC for a quote. Its free. Bike NCD is diff from car. New riders will have extra loadings on insurance premiums.

Thanks in advance bros!

Refer above.

åƒé‡‘难买早知é“.......

Thanks in advance bros!

Hello first of, congrats =)

okay just to add on to arjen,

1) Also depends on what you'd be carrying, i did contemplate saddle/side boxes, but as i carry a laptop around, not to mention helmet, raincoat and slippers, a big box behind may not be as pretty but it gets the job done. If you're getting side saddle bags, I'm not too sure on this point, but I haven't seen any that's big enough to lug a helmet in.

And if your work entails carrying a computer around, then as arjen mentioned, the side saddle bags will not get the job done very well. Also cats like leather =( so if your carpark has alot of fenines, then well, it might get pretty torn up.

2) With all due respect, riding with bluetooth doesn't sound really smart to me. It's already a known fact (please google for statistics) that being distracted while driving/riding causes more accidents. but I rest my case here.

3) For a 23 yo, 3rd party from AXA is around 375 + 2 years riding exp and 10%NCD, car doesn't carry over. So I'm guessing you're looking at a 400 upwards? But do go ahead and fill out a form at NTUC online, they'll call you back with a quote.

Above all, ride safe =)

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

hi all,

this morning after i rode to school, I noticed that there this layer of oil leaking from my fork.. Is this a big problem? I took a photo of it. You can see the oil and the dirt there..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5037982386_efa861cc34.jpg

Ur fork seal giveaway Liao... Nid replace de seal... If not Ur handling will b affected...

Ex bikes ~ Yamaha X1, Honda Phantom TA150

Bajaj Pulsar 200 ~~~ 14/09/11 - ???

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1871/dsc0087zjc.jpg

Blue Pulsar with Orange sprocket.. Cool???

u can simply call AXA for a direct quote... Cheaper then NTuc also.. if u'r under 21 then no choice. Ntuc is the only co. for you ;D

Oh yeah. refrain from creating new thread. you can post your questions in other threads like this.....

Click here !

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

I went to planet and turn out that it's not the seal that is the source of my problem.. Apparently it's the fork. The fork kinda got scratched by don't know what and so it's not 100% sealed. Uncle Chong recommend me to change fork. $120 for a 2nd hand pair plus seal. Ouch.

Safety first. You should change it =)

Saw some evil guys around. =(

*I don't entertain bullsh*t

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the advise. I'll probably try to go without a storage box first. I carry a laptop but I have a haversack for that. I am still keen on the bluetooth helmet as I really have to take calls on the move. Have been driving for 12 years and can't go without this convenience despite it's inherent risks. I will get quotes and update here. If anyone has more to add, I'm keen to listen.