SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

Is it normal that the engine oil dries up? I am using chex 9000 fully synthetic, and i have just changed my EO 3 weeks back and today when i checked the EO level, the stick cant even reach the level of EO meaning its either no EO or very little. So i went to planet to change EO and found that only around 200ml or less remaining.

There's no leakage from the bottom. But fully synthetic will vaporize?

*I don't entertain bullsh*t

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it normal that the engine oil dries up? I am using chex 9000 fully synthetic, and i have just changed my EO 3 weeks back and today when i checked the EO level, the stick cant even reach the level of EO meaning its either no EO or very little. So i went to planet to change EO and found that only around 200ml or less remaining.

There's no leakage from the bottom. But fully synthetic will vaporize?

engine running too hot thats why EO level drops... kenna burn away by the awesome heat...

very often, running too lean is the cause of engine running too hot...

might need overhaul if EO drops within the 1st 2 weeks of EO change...

from 1l of EO to 200ml of EO in 3 weeks is very serious...

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

Nope. No white smoke. Before i used fully synthetic oil, i was using ordinary mineral oil. Didn't have a problem with it. EO level is fairly constant, but i put in around 1.3-1.5Litres rather then 1 litre.

Ah cai, kenny check and tuned my bike for me, so I'm quite sure its not too lean. Personally i don't feel temperature is too high too.

Nope. No white smoke. Before i used fully synthetic oil, i was using ordinary mineral oil. Didn't have a problem with it. EO level is fairly constant, but i put in around 1.3-1.5Litres rather then 1 litre.

Ah cai, kenny check and tuned my bike for me, so I'm quite sure its not too lean. Personally i don't feel temperature is too high too.

no white smoke - EO did not get into combustion chamber and burned tgt with air fuel mixture

no leak - no oil spills on the floor or oil stains around the engine block...

where can the oil go? you drink? evaporate by itself?

only one conclusion... your air-fuel too lean, resulting in very hot running...

if pandora's kitten is that good, he would had open a bike workshop himself...

still not satisfied with my answer? go clarify with ah chong, see what he says...

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

no white smoke - EO did not get into combustion chamber and burned tgt with air fuel mixture

no leak - no oil spills on the floor or oil stains around the engine block...

where can the oil go? you drink? evaporate by itself?

only one conclusion... your air-fuel too lean, resulting in very hot running...

if pandora's kitten is that good, he would had open a bike workshop himself...

still not satisfied with my answer? go clarify with ah chong, see what he says...

I went to Chong yesterday, he tell me vampire suck off the oil. -_-"

There's black stain at the round thing near the EO cap at the bottom. I'm suspecting the mechanic didn't screw it tight.

Anyway thanks for the replies. I'll see what i can do about the black stains.

@ ahcai - not ruling the F/A mixture out - before we even did anything I had CJP learn to self tune )theory of carburetion) and monitor his OWN engine and mine (practical) before he got to even know where the screwdriver goes in.

If he had a f-ed up running condition @CJP knows to ring me up right away. I have to ride all the way to his place to provide tech support more than once :p

I selected chex9k because this particular oil solved my evaporating Motul issue and I'm also running way hotter and leaner than CJP's quite modest settings. How hot? Better not say, it's way above 40km/l! Do not touch!

Yet, not a single ml of oil has been lost from my sump for the last 10k KM. I can even do extended oil drain intervals now as I'm comfortable with my bike and don't ride particularly hard at all.

We'll see how the mystery goes.

Good day!!!. I just passed my 2B and would like to get a phantom with min 2yrs remaining. I am totally clueless abt bikes so I will be deeply appreciated if any of the experienced guys can recommend me some honest bikeshop that i can go. Or atleast send me a pm warnng me abt some shops that I should avoid. Btw my budget ard 1500sing. Thks in advance. Cheers!!

Good day!!!. I just passed my 2B and would like to get a phantom with min 2yrs remaining. I am totally clueless abt bikes so I will be deeply appreciated if any of the experienced guys can recommend me some honest bikeshop that i can go. Or atleast send me a pm warnng me abt some shops that I should avoid. Btw my budget ard 1500sing. Thks in advance. Cheers!!

hihi... congratulations on getting your license and welcome to Phantom Knights forum! :cheer:

hmmm... you might consider getting one of the many phantoms on sale in the garage sales - used bikes forum instead of getting one from a shop, as private sellers tend to be cheaper...

here is a link to the used bikes forum for your convenience:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/95-Used-Bike-Sale-Section

feel free to ask any questions and enjoy your stay here! :cheers:

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

hi guys my dad's bike got a problem. on tuesday when he tried to start the bike after work, he could not start it. he was surprised such ting could happen cuz he was able to ride to work in the morning although he found it abit hard to start the bike. he called me and i went to his rescue. the bike has totally no lights at all, neutral light and even the headlight, so i presumed his bike ran out of battery. i fetched him to ah boy and bought a battery. we went b and input the batt. runs gd. tot all was fine liao.

just now when he wana left house again, he found it hard to start the bike. eventually the bike couldnt start at all. lights seems weak too. so battery runs out within 3 days??? i went down and tried to push start it too, but it wont start. so i believe is other electrical problem right? issit CDI? alternator? rectifier? regulator? i seriously not sure. hope you guys can enlighten me too cuz my dad needs his bike to work. thanks.

ps. he has a alarm on the bike which i dont understand why he install it. -_-" could it be the problem? besides he told me ytd morning and this morning he found it abit hard to start the bike too, but he did not take it to heart. also he realised he has to rev higher at 1st gear biting point at times, if not he will feel like the bike is dying.

hi guys, thanks for the comments. turns out my dad's bike alternator short circuit. also result in the rectifier spoilt too. reason? most prob i think was that he washed the bike wif the garden hose and anyhow sprayed. cuz i took a look at the rectifier and realise some wires are actually exposed, so the water might have just seeped in and then hmmmmmmm. still, solved the problem though but he was much more grumpy as the repair was quite costly.

anyway, one more question to ask, when morning we start bike together to work, i hear a tiak tiak sound at the right side of the engine during cold start. his idling seems abit irregular too. i believe is the timing chain rite? or issit sth else?

spark plugs, air filter, coolant, engine oil & oil filter, OWS flush, front forks, front wheel bearing, brake pads, brake fluid, alarm, carb washed, steering cone, rear brake light, fuel filter, jets, front tyre, dyna carb tuning, rear tyre, rear tyre inner tubing, rear wheel bearing, fuel tubing, alternator, rectifier, battery, valve clearance/top overhaul, chain & sprocket.

Lols i think if our bike has a rpm meter.. dat will be great.. Sometimes dunno if i'm stressing my bike or not

jus gota listen to the sound of the bike,

mostly on our meter 20 go 2nd gear, 30 go 3rd gear, 40 go 4th gear, 50 go 5th gear 60 go 6th gear... jus a rough estimation, ultimately u gota feel ur bike

Edited by kmjoe

Lols i think if our bike has a rpm meter.. dat will be great.. Sometimes dunno if i'm stressing my bike or not

go fix KOSO RX1N ^^ like mine.. wooot..

going up genting @ RPM 8k hahahaha (mine 2 stoke bike at that time)

Haha.. Investing so much in a phantom.. not worth!!

worth or not worth is subjective to individual.

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

Herm, how to know if it is the cable wire loose or its e speedometer spoilt?

The only way to know whether the cable is loose or detached, is by opening up the speedo cover. Tighten or attach the cable and ride one round. If speedo still not moving, then speedo is spoil lor.. Highly likely the cable is detached, due to vibration of the bike. Happened to mine many times.

understand that TA200 already stop production therefore unable to purchase new one. And I have seen the TA200 Fire Edition on the road and i think is not bad.

I am interested in getting a second hand therefore what is the newest TA200 i can get?

FBC plate ??? which year??? Fire Edition is which year???

will travelling at 120-140km/h too stressing for ta150?

am using motul710 2t

I've heard of TA200s being used for high speed commutes going much faster than me. A scary prospect because of the ultra-high revs on short gearing. Things have to be done to reduce the revs for top speed runs, the carb has to be optimised for wide-open throttle (it may make the powerband like a 2 stroke), invest in aero, etc.

But, TA150 riders have better news:

So long as you are using superior 2T, and keep the important parts of the bike well maintained (chain, etc), you should not have any issues.

That's because you're using an NSR150 engine from the SP. Race away :D

You'll actually get better fuel economy cruising close to top speed if you've done some homework - get the sprockets changed, increase 2T flow (if applicable), again, do some aero work. I've heard about a Aprilia RS125 at 37km/l, I had a Y125Z at 39km/l and am doing up an SP eventually.

Yes they're still the same 2 stroke drinkers but ridden at their peak performance band they're much more efficient than plodding along at 50kph. 2 strokes do NOT save fuel at low revs due to the engine design. It's just up to you to make the bike more efficient at high speeds and it's pretty cheap to do so.

Edited by Pandora's Kitten :3