SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SBF Silverwings Cafe 2008 - JDM/Euro 400/600

CCK

Hi,

Is it really true that its bad for engines when we go in almost empty tank to pump in m'sia?

Some of my colleagues were saying that it will "hurt" the engine in some ways..

But others some said its ok...

Yet even some ppl go to the extent of telling me that if your fuel tank is empty, it allow some "air" to seep into the engine which might be bad for the engine la...

Any bros here can share your experience or side of the facts?

Thanks!

:)

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Is it really true that its bad for engines when we go in almost empty tank to pump in m'sia?

Some of my colleagues were saying that it will "hurt" the engine in some ways..

But others some said its ok...

Yet even some ppl go to the extent of telling me that if your fuel tank is empty, it allow some "air" to seep into the engine which might be bad for the engine la...

Any bros here can share your experience or side of the facts?

Thanks!

no such things. wat abt those small bike with damn small fuel tanks? they run till almost dry everytime also like that. and on road bikes are made to last.

race bikes are more vulnerable. thats why they open the engine after every 1 or 2 race to replace the parts.

dun hear people bullshit. ask them to show u the proof or 'directive' loh... :cool:

TEAM RedBull Singapore

Daniel aka bigcow +65 9105-0569

ScooTourers: Have Scooter, Will Travel...

... it will "hurt" the engine in some ways..

... it allow some "air" to seep into the engine which might be bad for the engine la...

myth 1: hurt engine?

when petrol supply to the combustion chamber or cylinder stops, there is no "proper" fuel air mix in the "next" compression stroke to burn when the spark jumps. pistons continue to move and crankshaft continues to spin with whatever residual momentum left till the engine stalls, mainly due to loss of propulsion and friction in the engine parts. don't think these activities would cause any mechanical, electric or electro-magnetic fluctuations strong enough to cause damage to the bike's system.

engine stall process is similar to when we switch off the ignition, only that we kill the supply of electric current that generates the spark. no spark or no fuel, same outcome... no combustion, engine stalls.

difficult to see where could go wrong leh :confused:

myth 2: air in engine is bad for engine

our engine is an internal combustion type, requires air for combustion and is not one that is sealed from the external environment like a computer's hard disk (inside is partial vacuum to provide dust free environment). air is everywhere inside the engine... combustion chamber, cylinder space for pistons and con rods to oscillate, space for crankshaft and cam shaft to rotate, sump area where engine oil is held for "splashing", etc.

maybe the claim is about air bubbles trapped in between moving parts, taking up the space for engine oil resulting in improper lubrication causing excessive wear. but i think once the engine starts and is properly warmed up, such air pockets would be squeezed out by the moving parts and replaced by engine oil o_O

:confused:

0.00000000002 sense :cheeky:

~

Current Ride: FJS400 Silver Wing

Trips:

23~27 Dec 2014: 5D5N KL & Ipoh

Scooby's blog http://scoobydooby-doo.blogspot.sg/

Tech Corner http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner

Thanks Bigcow & Scoobydoo for your views

Just to share only..

For more info or to add your two cents worth, pls visit:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4233800&posted=1#post4233800

These are extracts from another fellow forum-er which i think also makes sense:

"Running on near empty tank for extended periods hurts more for EFI bikes.

But not for engine.

Most EFI bikes have a fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

With no access to outside ventilation, the only way for the fuel pump to cool itself is using the petrol itself to cool it, thus being immersed in petrol.

Continuously running in reserve (near empty) prevents the fuel pump from being immersed, thus preventing itself from cooling.

Worse case scenario: burnt out fuel pump."

Extracts

"Here is a engineering point of view,

1) it may damage your fuel pump if you have one, cause it may "burn it out" if it is just pumping air.

2) Leaving your tank empty most of the time may inhibit the formation of rust in the tank.

But for damage to the engine? I don't really think so."

no such things. wat abt those small bike with damn small fuel tanks? they run till almost dry everytime also like that. and on road bikes are made to last.

race bikes are more vulnerable. thats why they open the engine after every 1 or 2 race to replace the parts.

dun hear people bullshit. ask them to show u the proof or 'directive' loh... :cool:

Directive siboh...

Typical uniform men talk.. :cheeky:

Most EFI bikes have a fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

With no access to outside ventilation, the only way for the fuel pump to cool itself is using the petrol itself to cool it, thus being immersed in petrol.

Continuously running in reserve (near empty) prevents the fuel pump from being immersed, thus preventing itself from cooling.

Worse case scenario: burnt out fuel pump.

lucky for me... i dun run till dry coz really hated the idea of pushing bike :cheeky:

pushed once along bukit timah many years back coz forgot to turn fuel kock back to on, realised only when reserve also finished :giddy:

~

Trips:

Tech Corner http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner

lucky for me... i dun run till dry coz really hated the idea of pushing bike :cheeky:

pushed once along bukit timah many years back coz forgot to turn fuel kock back to on, realised only when reserve also finished :giddy:

Hee... just last week, my Wing ran out of petrol after m'sian toll at 2nd link.

It was 2km from GP esso, but just 100m from nearest petrolnas (need to cross the road)..

Lucky my scoot never stall at after the 2nd link bridge !! :giddy:

hi.. i'm new to Silverwing 400, can i get help from here regarding about the price, fc and topspeed of this bikes. 34yo btw...

thanks for all advice given. :)

Its all over this thread... :cheeky: You can find in the middle... :)

Honda Phantom TA200 - Sep 2005 to Jun 2008

Honda Silverwing - Jun 2008 to Jun 2009

Honda CBF150 - Jun 2009 and Beyond

Honor God, Ride Safely...

It was 2km from GP esso, but just 100m from nearest petrolnas (need to cross the road)..

Know something !!! ? I had three friends Larry, Curly & Moe - each had a SW ! One day Larry filled his tank with deisel, the next day Curly drilled some holes in his exhaust to help lighten the bike. But best of all was Moe who, every time the SW fuel gauge BLINKED on the last bar he would switch off and push to the nearest Station !!!:angel:

Know something !!! ? I had three friends Larry, Curly & Moe - each had a SW ! One day Larry filled his tank with deisel, the next day Curly drilled some holes in his exhaust to help lighten the bike. But best of all was Moe who, every time the SW fuel gauge BLINKED on the last bar he would switch off and push to the nearest Station !!!:angel:

Hee... Then this Moe is damn power!!!

Still got 3.5 litres reserve he wants to push liao..

Only one word: POWER! (Really long time never use this word liao)

:angel:

wah!!! push across the road??? :bow:

maybe can consider changing nick to "PoWeR" instead of Sensible :lol:

how about this... cross over to petrol kiosk, buy a few canned drinks, finish them up and use the empty cans to fetch petrol to bike :angel: if want to open the top, no need can-opener... rub the top on the floor and floor will "eat away the top". each can is 300ml, 4 cans is >1 litres liow :D

maybe should include towing line and/or tin can for petrol as survival kit when going into malaysia next time :cheeky:

~

Trips:

wah!!! push across the road??? :bow:

maybe can consider changing nick to "PoWeR" instead of Sensible :lol:

how about this... cross over to petrol kiosk, buy a few canned drinks, finish them up and use the empty cans to fetch petrol to bike :angel: if want to open the top, no need can-opener... rub the top on the floor and floor will "eat away the top". each can is 300ml, 4 cans is >1 litres liow :D

maybe should include towing line and/or tin can for petrol as survival kit when going into malaysia next time :cheeky:

No need can drinks la.. hee

I cross the road, bought a 0.5 litre mineral bottle, emptied it, top it up with petrol and cross the road again and brought it back to my Wing... Feed her and she's ready to go.

But i did saw a RXZ squeeze past the tight barriers "ride cross the road" without taking the long route back, RXZ can la, cos its slim enuf ma, for Wing? No way!

No need can drinks la.. hee

I cross the road, bought a 0.5 litre mineral bottle, emptied it, top it up with petrol and cross the road again and brought it back to my Wing... Feed her and she's ready to go.

This is one reason why, whenever i ride to places which are a bit out of the way, i always carry an old type Aluminium Army water bottle with the rubber cap. I fill this with petrol and strap it on the rear SW spoiler to keep it cool (i dont use a 'bread' box). Keeping it under the seat is too hot.

I try not to use plastic bottles or containers for petrol as the plastic change properties after a short while and maybe 'leach' into the fuel - also can crack or split easily when it become brittle.

Just replaced my rear tyre with Diablo Scooter at Team HKL for $98.

Front tyre not available yet. May be coming in July.

Had to replace my rear tyre cos it developed relatively deep crack line.

Anyway already got one hole which was only patched with worm since Feb.

Quote for the front Bridgestone tyre was $120.

Decided to wait for Diablo Scooter front tyre.

I used Diablo Strada (made in Germany) on my previous bike which in my opinion seems better grip den BT020.

Not sure of the performance of Diablo Scooter (made in Brazil).

Will try to give some opinion a couples of months later.

Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bikes called cyclists?

But i did saw a RXZ squeeze past the tight barriers "ride cross the road" without taking the long route back, RXZ can la, cos its slim enuf ma, for Wing? No way!

because u never tried before. tell u ah, even a goldwing can pass.

TEAM RedBull Singapore

Just replaced my rear tyre with Diablo Scooter at Team HKL for $98.

Front tyre not available yet. May be coming in July.

Had to replace my rear tyre cos it developed relatively deep crack line.

Anyway already got one hole which was only patched with worm since Feb.

Quote for the front Bridgestone tyre was $120.

Decided to wait for Diablo Scooter front tyre.

I used Diablo Strada (made in Germany) on my previous bike which in my opinion seems better grip den BT020.

Not sure of the performance of Diablo Scooter (made in Brazil).

Will try to give some opinion a couples of months later.

so any idea how much does the dailbo front cost??

Arai V-Cross2 Arai Rx7r3 Haga Arai Ram2 Arai Rx7r3 Conlin Edward Arai Rx7r3 Mick Doohan Arai Ram 2 Arai Rx7r4 Gunmetal Arai RX7r4 Shinaya Nakano Shoei X11 Kato Black Arai Ram 3 Gunmetal Arai Ram 3 Shoei Neotec Shoei J-cruise

KTM 200EXC Gilera Runner SP Aprilia RS250 Hornet 250 Gilera Runner Vxr Yamaha Yzf 05R6 Honda Wave 125 X9 Evo 200 SilverWing 400 Yamaha Tmax XP500 NC700XD STX C650GT

because u never tried before. tell u ah, even a goldwing can pass.

Hee... sure anot...

U try your half-a-busa first then tell me.. :angel:

I went to recce that spot when crossing the road..

Tight to the extent of small, unless there's another opening which i'm not aware of..

Hee... sure anot...

U try your half-a-busa first then tell me.. :angel:

I went to recce that spot when crossing the road..

Tight to the extent of small, unless there's another opening which i'm not aware of..

tried countless times le.... u are right. there is another opening which u haven't come across.

TEAM RedBull Singapore

tried countless times le.... u are right. there is another opening which u haven't come across.

Power la !

Pls guide me to the spot next time.

If got emergency 'touch wood' next time, can just ride across instead going by the actual proper route!

:cheeky: