SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SHELL - OFFICIAL STATEMENT RELEASED

MPeX

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 26 2005, 02:48 PM

And finally, check here for interesting facts of "petrol-sniffing"

The description of petrol sniffing is:

"Petrol sniffing is a form of substance misuse. Petrol sniffers deliberately inhale the petrol fumes given off for the intoxicating effect. They hold a saturated cloth over their nose and mouth or sniff directly from a small container. Intoxication can be rapid, within one to five minutes. Depending on the method, the effects may last for minutes or several hours. Young people also sniff other substances such as glue, photocopier fluid, aerosols, paint thinner, cleaning and lighter fluids."

Somehow I find it hard to believe that pumping petrol can be considered as harmful as petrol-sniffing, regardless of whether you are sitting, straddling or standing.

And the real people who MIGHT be at risk would be those petrol attendants, who spend hours on average daily in an environment where they are constantly exposed to petrol fumes, compared to a normal motorist who spend less than 10 minutes maximum per visit to a petrol kiosk?

Perhaps we should highlight to the relevant authorities that they are not being adequately protected, workers' rights and all?? Or the reason why there is no outcry or any measures taken is that this isn't even an issue to begin with?

sue shelll

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 26 2005, 06:10 PM

:confused:

Now I'm really confused.

So what you have been trying to say is if we top up a full tank of petrol, it is harmful to our health and vehicle? Can you explain why?

Yes. Why?

Do you smell much more petrol fumes when you attempt to pump in more when the fuel in your tank is near full already, compared with when the fuel in tank is low level?

When the fuel in tank is nearly full, and you still try to fill up, you create much petrol vapour. (If you have basic knowledge of superheated, you know what I mean & why.)

Why create much more petrol vapour, or commonly known as petrol fumes? Not only it waste $$$, it is harmful.

As such, the reason behind that bikers need not dismount while refuelling due to need to fill up full tank, is invalid from thermodynamics of view.

We can not prevent petrol vapour into our lungs, like non-smokers can not prevent 2nd hand smoke in public area. However, we can do a little to keep away much petrol fumes in our lungs.

I choose the article form Caltex and it provide more scientific reason of not topping to the full, which is one of the reason against dismounting when refuelling. Afterall, some are switching to Caltex in protest againts Shell, and ExxonMobil.

CO is formed mainly during incomplete combustion. If the vehicle is on the move, especially when it is fast, the CO level is actually low. So you may be surprised with long milage on the road, you breath in more petrol vapour than CO.

:cheer:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

www.calvarypandan.org

I see! That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I think for me personally it's not very convincing. Let's agree to disagree on the full-tank matter shall we?

Another point you raised is the CO levels, I agree that while on the move the CO level will be quite low. However, in Singapore there is often traffic congestions, and when you get stuck or have to move along very slowly. And not to mention the causeway jams!

All these have been happening for so long, and I'm sure you will agree that during these times we can be exposed to more CO than petrol vapours. But yet we see very little (not that I'm aware of) cases of cancer happening due to either causes.... They are still emphasing on lung cancer due to smoking instead.

So I personally conclude that to get cancer from topping up your fuel tank to full AND getting cancer from riding a motorcycle and exposed to CO is almost negligible.

Of course those who disagree are welcome to take their own precautionary measures when refueling... As for me, I'll rather concentrate on avoiding areas where there are a lot of smokers and not smoking.... which have been conclusively proven to be harmful to our health.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Where got lah :giddy:

... just disagree with each other the gentleman way :sweat:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

www.calvarypandan.org

Both have grounds and facts. Agreement lies on individual... Anyway, majority always wins.

Memories of 1403 on 24/8/06

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2910/memoriesof1403tfkl2.jpg

Memories of Arai Helmets

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2710/helmetsdfbi0.jpg

Originally posted by AliDavidSum@Apr 27 2005, 05:36 PM

Where got lah :giddy:

... just disagree with each other the gentleman way :sweat:

Can I be the Duck? Don't want to be Chicken......... :sweat:

:lol:

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by william_liu@Apr 27 2005, 05:52 PM

Can I be the Duck? Don't want to be Chicken......... :sweat:

:lol:

Donald Duck better :sweat:

More famous

Anyway, nice discussion with you, as I learn something new too through still disagree. :giddy:

www.calvarypandan.org

• 2 weeks later...

gentleman....... i had just refuel at the Esso station near my house at AMK ave 4 and the attendent and cashier told me against pumping while straddling my bike........ they say that now all Esso and Mobile stations are practicing liao........... sooner or later all petrol station will do that........ matter of time.......... sian............

I MAYBE AN IDIOT....... BUT I AM NOT DUMB............

if that really does happens, then i guess we all have to buy a mainstand for those without it and pump..

or likewise, u can always ask the attendant to pump for u while u holding the bike upright.. in a case of an explosion, drag the attendant with u.. :D

05.04 - 08.04: Honda Wave S (FV)

08.04 - 05.09: Honda Version S (FP)

09.08 - 08.10: Honda ESi 4dr (SBV)

04.11 - 02.12: Ducati 749 (FY)

05.09 - 07.14: Honda Wave X (FBD)

07.14 - 09.15: Yamaha Tmax 530 (FBH)

11.13 - 09.15: Honda City (SGA)

09.15 - Current: Honda Jazz (SKV)

Actually for refueling you don't even need a paddock stand, just invent/provide something that be placed under the sidestand and slowly jacked up, adjust according to the type of bike you ride, until you make the bike (almost) fully level.

That kind of device shouldn't cost that much.

have anyone tried beckoning the attendant to come over and "nah, here's the key. Full tank please."??

i very curious what's will they say. Sorry we don't pump petrol for bikes?

Your best friend in forum :: Search ::

They probably don't dare to....... and I wouldn't dare let them do it....

Those buggers don't seem to understand that refueling for motorcycles are quite different/more difficult than cars...... For cars you just plant the nozzle in, lock the "trigger" then leave it alone till than tank is full.

Just try that with a bike..... first of all I don't think you can even leave the nozzle hanging at your petrol tank!

dun think its easy for petrol to burst into flames in s'pore. too humid liao la...

the explosion from static more applicable to other countries where static buildup can be quite large.... so far havent kanna any attendant who asked me to dismount while pumpin petrol yet leh...

by the way cdc cars when they refill petrol both the passengers and instructor seated in the car. engine not even off. what u think about that. somemore the petrol there got a board to ask them switch off engine. i saw it with mi eyes.

Never ever will I fill up at Shell Singapore :mad:

Be happy always :-)

Ride alert at all times :angel:

1st bike - Yamaha RXZ - 135cc

2nd bike - Honda FireBlade series - 400cc

3rd bike - Yamaha RXZ- 135cc

4th bike - Suzuki GSXR K-series - 600cc

5th bike - Kawasaki KRR - 150cc

6th bike - Honda CBX Twister - 250cc

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~