SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Armoured jackets

Steppenwolf

Armoured Jackets - Is it practical?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Armoured Jackets - Is it practical?

Originally posted by le5trung4hieu@Oct 9 2006, 03:36 AM

Hi,

you guys told about "Regina".

where is it ?

Please give me full address.

thanks

Lim Ah Boy (LAB) /Regina

23 Kelantan Lane /152 Jalan Besar

62967914 /62968035

Life is like a shooting star, it don't matter who you are,

If you only run for cover, it's just a waste of time.. :thumb:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/warriorconp/MyRide2.jpg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its heartening to know that more people are getting protection for themselves.

Being caught in a bad place with the right gear could mean the difference between the grave and ICU, or between ICU and outpatient ward. Only the irresponsible and the very stupid would choose not to protect themselves.

Many immature and irresponsible youths do not understand that in their deaths, they leave behind family and friends. Who will take care of their parents then? Or worse, become handicapped and become a burden to their parents for the rest of their lives.

I see many riders on gorgeous, expensive bikes, like Hayabusa, R1s, Harleys. Yet they look like they foolishly splurged every cent of their savings to buy their bikes, because they ride in nothing more than a t-shirt, shorts and slippers. I think that is a very pathetic image, to be image conscious, to have to own the fastest, prettiest bikes but not have any money left to buy proper riding gear.

A common misconception with armoured jackets is that they are too warm to be worn in Singapore. This is a sadly misguided belief as most mesh jackets on the market today are as cool as wearing a long-sleeved cotton shirt. They keep you from getting burnt by direct exposure to sunlight, and allows air to pass freely through.

I would strongly urge riders to wisen up and gear up. Those who wish to ride without protection deserve to die and let their stupidity gene be weeded out of our gene pool. Keep the smart genes in, so our population will keep getting smarter, thus ensuring the survival of the fittest, and in this case, smartest. :thumb:

Believe nothing you hear; and only half of what you see.

Do or do not; there is no 'try'.

http://www.themuser.com/forum/index.php

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/lacrimosae/Aprilia/siggiecollage.jpg

Saw this brand B-Power at LAB the other day.. $60 only.. Looks pretty good fro that price.. Alot of ppl think armoured jackets are very expensive and choose to not wear them b'cos of it.. While XXX brand jacket might be better or safer in the event of an accident, a $60 jacket is better den t-shirt and skin I guess..

Riot-Bike Co.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/Riotbike/02ba5dfd.jpghttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/Riotbike/SimonsSideCarBike-1.jpg

Need sidecar for wedding photoshoot? PM me

Originally posted by Terrible One@Oct 20 2006, 01:29 AM

Saw this brand B-Power at LAB the other day.. $60 only.. Looks pretty good fro that price.. Alot of ppl think armoured jackets are very expensive and choose to not wear them b'cos of it.. While XXX brand jacket might be better or safer in the event of an accident, a $60 jacket is better den t-shirt and skin I guess..

Yes, protection is expensive...

But having something on, albeit cheap, is better than being a squid - riding practically naked, with no protection at all. I hope people on a tight budget would at least get a cheap armoured jacket.

At some point in our lives, as we get wiser and the weight of responsibilites and commitments weigh down on us, we will question ourselves how much our lives are worth.

Believe nothing you hear; and only half of what you see.

Do or do not; there is no 'try'.

http://www.themuser.com/forum/index.php

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/lacrimosae/Aprilia/siggiecollage.jpg

Originally posted by lacrimosae@Oct 19 2006, 02:04 AM

Being caught in a bad place with the right gear could mean the difference between the grave and ICU, or between ICU and outpatient ward. Only the irresponsible and the very stupid would choose not to protect themselves.

I fully agree, but worse than death is leg or hand amputation , or permanent paralysis.

For those who can afford it, decide the right specifications of protection - not just the brand. Coz the right specs for each different brand can varies greatly. It is not necessary expensive too.

For me, my specs include spine, elbow & shoulder armour insertion. The armour should be CE certified & approved, but otherwise if it feels solid & very cheap, then nvm. The purpose is for impact resistant ; prevents your spine from shattering when the body hit the road curb or other vehicle.

The material for the jacket should be Cordura minimum. Not Gordex or Ballistic Nylon - read in some website they have poor abrasion resistant ; will ripped off in seconds when the body slides on the tar road during an accident. The best material is however kevlar & cordura interwoven. Seen too many accidents, the skin ripped off leaving the bones behind during bike accident.

Some jackets has cordura material at strategic places for protection & Mesh material at other places for ventilation & cooling. Some got a water proof inner liner layer which can be unzipped/ removed easily. The liner will makes the jacket water proof.

Btw, I also wear strapped on Komine leg armour when I ride to work everyday amidst heavy traffic. It cost me $90 from Motorworld.

I am not in any way linked to the below site , but I think the Gmax brand is most value for money in getting the right specs. I used to think RS Taichi is most value for money in terms of specs & pricing , until I notice this Gmax brand.

http://www.gmaxrace.com/products.php?t=6

The address is here:-

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/index....howtopic=130122

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

Originally posted by rhema83@Oct 24 2006, 04:56 AM

You must remember that the gear can only protect you so much. Exercise caution and don't ride dangerously at ridiculous speeds. That's the best way to save yourself.

I couldn't agree more....but the info in jacket was really helpful to many...

Seems that every day , there is average of 2 motor bike accidents reported in straits times. The accidents are either fatal or serious injuries - otherwise not worth reporting. Of course there might be more unreported minor injuries everyday.

This means 2x365= 730 serious or fatal accidents everyday. Maybe half of these numbers are paralysed or having limbs amputation because of the serious accidents!

So better not save money on armoured jackets - especially during the rainy seasons coming. And don't ever buy those armoured jacket using rain coat type nylon material - just because they are water proof. They have poor abrasion resistant. Got a friend the skin on his arm scrapped off when he rolled on the ground during a accident. Coz his jacket is this type.

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Originally posted by paithorn@Oct 24 2006, 12:50 PM

I couldn't agree more....but the info in jacket was really helpful to many...

I agree. :thumb: Just keep in mind that even the best jackets won't survive a 200km/h crash, and different materials have different wear resistances.

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

Originally posted by duracellb@Oct 25 2006, 11:56 AM

Hi, i am thinking of protection solution for the lower body too. My jeans did little when I buang, least to say the filmsy pants I wear to office.

How's the Komine leg armour? Does it look like the roller blade kneecap protector? Wear on top of the pants?

Mine is this -->

http://www.komine.ac/products.php?function...&product_id=184

I can wear it over my office pants within 30 sec & remove them in 10 sec. There are 3 straps on each protector to hold it. If 1 strap came off during a accident , its still OK. But the important thing is the impact resistant when the body is thrown during accident & the knee or shin slam against tar road , road kerb or vehicles.

I normally just wear the above & my company safety shoes for lower body protection.

I think those Joe Rocket jeans & those cordura armoured pants are thick & troublesome to change out each time I reach my office. They also too bulky to store in my bike boxes. Right now, my rear box is just enough to store my armoured jacket & full faced helmet & leg protector. No more rooms. I don't need to carry anything in my hands when I go shopping. My Givi magnetic expandable tank bag carries my office document & stuffs.

Of course high cut riding boots with steel toes & rain proof are even better. Komine (@ Motorworld) & Red Wing (Showroom @ Suntec )got something like this. I planning to get the Red Wing high cut steel toe riding boots, so I can wear both at work & riding. Lazy to change them each time I reach office.

Komine have a lot of lower body protection -->

http://www.komine.ac/products.php?function...&category_id=10

But usually people wear them for long distance touring.

Hi tt6389,

Thanks again for sharing. I will check out the triple protector when I visit motoworld. What you mentioned about the accidents is very real and true. Its a pity that many bikers have less protection than rollerbladers. I'll rather be kia-si than to leave things to chance.

Originally posted by duracellb@Oct 25 2006, 02:45 PM

Hi tt6389,

Thanks again for sharing. I will check out the triple protector when I visit motoworld. What you mentioned about the accidents is very real and true. Its a pity that many bikers have less protection than rollerbladers. I'll rather be kia-si than to leave things to chance.

Scary but true. And imagine how hurt you can get just by falling when rollerblading at 10km/h. Some people just don't get it. The cost of protective gear should be factored into the downpayment when you budget for your bike.

By the way, some of the Komine stuff are direct copies of items from major makers like Arlen Ness and Fieldsheer. But Motoworld doesn't seem to carry them.

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

For those people who need to wear safety shoes at work place as well as riding bikes, can consider this:-

http://www.redwing.com.sg/motorcycle.html

http://www.redwingshoe.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1078

Got steel toe & high cut prevent rain water from entering your socks.

Great information here, should make this thread a "sticky"!

It is good to start to have a strong culture for motorcycle safety. Once more and more wear armoured jackets, it will start to be an "in-thing" for motorcyclists, and those that may have thought of wearing them but afraid to be laughed at would start to get one.

I wear a Clover "zoom" touring jacket. Although not as much ventilation as some described here, it isn't hot. Even under mid-day sun, it is still comfortable except when caught in a traffic jam. I had been wearing jackets for years and had faced funny looks initially, asking me why I'm wearing a jacket when it is so hot. Now it seems to be more acceptable.

1992: Suzuki GN125

1995: Suzuki Intruder 400

2000: BMW R1100R

2006: Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Low

2008: BMW F800ST

2011: BMW R1200R Classic (still riding)

2015: Harley Davidson Low Rider

Originally posted by duracellb@Oct 26 2006, 09:48 PM

bought a set of icon leg protector from motoworld - $130

RS taichi mesh jacket - $300

See if i can wear my bro's riding boots, if not will find something. Too bad i already bought a open face helmet, should have gotten a full-face instead.

no idea about price range, never visit the shop yet.

Full faced helmet is safest , but it doesn't allow me to wear my sunglasses or spectacles. Coz I feel a sunglass with polarized lens & anti-glare & UV protection is very useful for travelling long hours in the sun. Prevent eye fatigue which makes me sleepy & lose attentiveness. Good for touring.

So I prefer a flip up full faced helmet instead.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in a Redwing riding boots cum steel toe safety shoes, a colleague of mine told me their warehouse at shipyard road occasionally have warehouse sales. But they never publish in papers.

Originally posted by slowrider@Oct 5 2006, 10:41 AM

It is not whether you need to armour yourself with a jacket or not!

Come on...GET REAL!!...you racer wannabes are only riding on the streets NOT RACING!!!!

What you really need is some armour on your brains....which is really all about the Riding Survival Tactics you need to perfect when riding on the streets.

And please...don't some smart jerk come and tell me an extra protection is always a welcome thing...becos when it comes to extra protection, you will only need that protection to be in a form of a rubber jacket NOT a armoured one!

Trying to act cool or wear cool looking riding gear...won't get you there any faster or safer in any case. :D

I highly disagree.

I'm going to speak in a "human beings aren't that perfect" stance, in that I sometimes do speed moderately, and also, I do forget to apply SIPDE sometimes.

And yes, I wear gear sometimes (and I do get stares and comments from people as well)

Refuting your last sentence, I'm going to say that it's the brains that count. True, I might not get to my destination safer (hey, we're not perfect, right?) but at least I got some insurance in the form of protection.

Now that's cool!

P.S.: Bro, that's really an unwelcome comment based on what I see.

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

redbeacon i agree with you man..... :cheer: :cheer:

I will think that riding jacket should be a must during riding...

Trying to act cool or wear cool looking riding gear...won't get you there any faster or safer in any case.

If i look cool with this jacket and at the same time i get protection, why not?

Just becos people say you act cool, than you don't wear a safety jacket, that is stupid man... I don't give a damn on what other people say... just looking after myself when i'm riding... get as much protection as i can will riding...

you are not riding for other people... you are riding for yrself...