SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Technical - Clutch

Guest rez

What Mileage You Change Clutch Plate  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What Mileage You Change Clutch Plate

• 50K ~ 60K
    • 60K ~ 70K
    • 70K ~ 80K
    • 80K ~ 90K
    • 90K ~ 100K
    • 100K ~ 110K
    • 110K ~ 120K
    • 120K ~ 130K
    • 130K ~ 140K
    • 140K ~ 150K

try this if u suspect ur clutch plates are worn.....

while moving pull the clutch all the way in and release slowly if u hear a thud thud sound before hitting half clutch means ur clutch plates are worn

>> No idea how the thud-thud sound can mean that the clutch plates are worn.

while stationery pull the clutch and engage 1st gear, if the bike moves forward a bit while the clutch is pulled at the max means ur clutch plate is gone....

>> This most prob means his clutch cable free play is too little.

Another way, if you wanna try,

1. Place front wheel against wall.

2. Engage 2nd gear.

3. Throttle up while slowly releasing clutch.

you engine should die off. If your rpm can go up and back wheel never move, your clutch plates are gone.

The loud "tak-tak" sound when down shifting could be because of numerous reasons.

- Engine oil old or not enough

- Clutch lever not enough free play

- Chain too loose..

All clutch plates does is to transmit power from engine, to the gear box. Clutch plates for a super 4 last from 80k - 100k or even more depending on rider. Most ppl just change the clutch plates. The springs are pretty hardy. CLutch cable is only changed if it is worn, i.e. the wires coming apart.

Best remedy, go to your fav workshop and get a reliable mech to check your bike. Making decisions based on answers here is at your own risk.

I tried the second option. MY bike didn't die off non the rpm went up instead went down but if I rev higher the bike engine died off. Normal? How many years should we change the clutch plates base on normal usage? Not high usage like a dispatch rider but normal riding ($20 fuel) per week.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pai sae to brin up tis old thread. I would lk 2 noe more abt cluth since there are no other thread liao.

When i brought my spec 1 , i had knew the cluth wasn't at the tip top condition but was unsure wat the actual problem was. When bike is in neutal, cluth out, there is a "thru thru" sound. But when i cluth in fully the sound is gone.

I was bothered by the sound but it does nt affect ani of my performance. Until half a yr the cluth plate was worn out. There is sound "tak tak" sumtimes when in 1st or 2nd gear.

I went to change my cluth plate, gasket & cluth cable. The "tak tak" sound was gone but still gt the "thru thru" sound.

I guess it is the cluth housing. I realise my cluth housing is slightly loose. Do ani1 experience the same tink?

Issit true that most super 4 will hav housing problem. I heard even changing the housing the problem will come back after some time. Hw true? Aniwae the cluth housing is pretty costly $220.

need help

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q292/hohaoyi/1_394809140l.jpg

My Humble "Xiao Huang S4"

• 1 month later...

My bike's mileage reached 90K+, so wondering whether should change clutch plates or not....... read a few threads on this topic but didn't find any conclusion. So use this poll to see what you all did so I will follow the majority lah.........

You don't know the limit of your bike until you crash it, otherwise you are just not trying hard enough:angry:

how bout the cables?? do u guys change when only tgt with the clutch plates or when only is snaps haha?

Changed every 28k-30k, play safe. No point risking halfway riding and cable snap.....

Btw, anyone can share their timing belt change at what millage? Thanks.

EnJoY Your RiDE

Changed every 28k-30k, play safe. No point risking halfway riding and cable snap.....

Btw, anyone can share their timing belt change at what millage? Thanks.

S4 does not have a timing belt. Cars have timing belts. S4 uses timing Chain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Loontoot/Funny%20Pics/adminuser4mw.gif

<CMO> Quality IT Services for homes & businesses.

<CMO> 3M Products from U.S.A

hey can someone msg me the price of changing the clutch.. full set w springs price..

http://fyekr.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/4/3.jpg?xurl=%2Fphotos%2Fphoto%2F4%2F3.jpg

http://fyekr.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/5/35.JPG?xurl=%2Fphotos%2Fphoto%2F5%2F35.JPG

normally is just change clutch plates n the paper gasket. springs? unless they r not doing their job else no need to change. total damage is about $110 to $150 for the plates, gasket n worksmanship.

Honda Super 4 Ver S: Mar 02 - Sept 05

PGO Gmax 150: Sept 05 - Dec 05

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1: Nov 05 - Apr 07

Suzuki GSR 400: Apr 07 - Dec 09

Yamaha FZ1S: Nov 09 - May 13

Kawasaki GTR 1400: Jan 13 - ??? ??

Yamaha FZ16ST: May 14 - ??? ??

timing chain should be at ard 100k km ba

bike history

1987 - 1988 - Baby steps

1989 - 2005 - Bus,Mrt,Taxi

Nov05 - Jan07 -YBR125

Jan07 - Feb11- CB400 Spec 1

Mar11 - ??? Fazer 1000

Nov05 - Got Got Class 2B

Dec 06 - Got Class 2A

Nov07 - Got Class 3

Mar08 - Got Class 2

The previous owner of my bike changed clutch casing and springs costs 300+ without changing the clutch plates.

You don't know the limit of your bike until you crash it, otherwise you are just not trying hard enough:angry:

hey can someone msg me the price of changing the clutch.. full set w springs price..

$95 inclusive of gasket at BikeWorkz, plates + gasket. Springs no need to change unless spoilt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Loontoot/Funny%20Pics/adminuser4mw.gif

<CMO> Quality IT Services for homes & businesses.

<CMO> 3M Products from U.S.A

seems most ppl changed between 70k to 12k. Is there any different aft market brand for clutch plates? Or only honda original one?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

some questions on clutch..

when i change gear from first to second n second to third gear sometimes quite hard to kick must kick veri hard especially from 1st gear to 2nd gear and when it kick to 2nd gear sometimes went to netural gear and rpm went up

then tried to kick down or up, will have a loud tak tak tak sound..

wondering what went wrong?