SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Queries for TA200

sidek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to fix a bigger sprocket...is to have a 7 gear eqyuivalent ..

not necessary to run at higher speed...

but to have fuel economy say at 100 km/hr..

Oh, so you mean to say that, it is more fuel economic to have a bigger sprocket? That's what I'm getting from what you said. Do correct me if I've misinterpreted what you meant.

ya, changing the size ratio of your sprockets do help improve or affect the speed of your bike, but i can say the result is insignificant.

so can i say no point for us to change?

unless you are professional racers, where that few km/h more is very crucial as it determine the winner of the race.

1 thing i can assure you is that majority of us is not self-contented, if today you can archieve 140km/h, you would want more tommorrow. am i right to comment that?

next, ram your engine with top speed all the way at highway???

better dont lah, you are basically stressing your machine to the maximum unnecessary, then end up spend more money repairing your engine.

in general, no engine maker will recommend to run any engine at 100% load except speed trial, the common recommendation is to maintain 90% load at normal cruising.

:sweat: :sweat:

non-techincal talk:-

for phantom ta200 with max speed approximately 130-140km/h (depending on individual engine's performance), it is considered good enough to cruise at approx. 110-120km/h (equivalent to 90% load) at singapore expressway not forgetting that our mandatory speed limit is 90km/h.

fyi, if you gonna caught for exceeding the speed of 40km/h and above over the mandatory speed limit, you cannot composite the summon and will be charged in court under the Traffic Offence Act, which will suspend or revoke your license accordingly if your accumulated demerit points meet the requirement under the DIPS System.

hope above helps...

Not to speed like a champion la, I just think that sometimes I am going way too slow on highways because I am kind of heavy(okay, "kind of heavy" is an understatement). So if I were to go a little faster, my engine would receive terrible abuse. But if changing to bigger sprockets would mean better fuel economy, you know, why not? Unless, of course, i misinterpreted what ezzy said la. ;)

Sorry internet was lagging badly, hence the triple post.

just to be clear, in order to increase top speed at the expense of having slower acceleration, get a bigger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket :smile:

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

Sorry internet was lagging badly, hence the triple post.

just to be clear, in order to increase top speed at the expense of having slower acceleration, get a bigger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket :smile:

Not to speed like a champion la, I just think that sometimes I am going way too slow on highways because I am kind of heavy(okay, "kind of heavy" is an understatement). So if I were to go a little faster, my engine would receive terrible abuse. But if changing to bigger sprockets would mean better fuel economy, you know, why not? Unless, of course, i misinterpreted what ezzy said la. ;)

oh, can i say you require better speed without stressing your machine much?? my fault to read it the wrong way :weep:

Edited by vvss

Ahhh yes yes. Very nicely put. My bad for not specifying properly why. Hee

oh, if i not wrong, the maker's rear sprocket size is 41, try drop 2 size then up 2 size for the front (but still ask profession mechanic for better recommendation)

after that, you still need to adjust your carbuetor too....dont do it yourself if you do not know how to adjust it, get a mechanic to adjust for you.

go find your mechanic and tell him your intention clearly, if he can do both the above for you and you feel the confidence with him, go ahead....if not go get a mechanic who you think you can trust.

hope it helps.....

oh, if i not wrong, the maker's rear sprocket size is 41, try drop 2 size then up 2 size for the front (but still ask profession mechanic for better recommendation)

after that, you still need to adjust your carbuetor too....dont do it yourself if you do not know how to adjust it, get a mechanic to adjust for you.

go find your mechanic and tell him your intention clearly, if he can do both the above for you and you feel the confidence with him, go ahead....if not go get a mechanic who you think you can trust.

hope it helps.....

Okay thanks so much. Very, very helpful.

gentlemen...i notice that there is some confusion with regards to:

power

speed

accelration

torque..

theses are all related..but its charactristic varies..understand this variations and its applicatios will resolve all questions related to changing sprocket sizes and its impact on the bike..

just take note the bike power plant is fixed..ie u have a 200 cc engine and this particular engine at a unique or factory setting will give you certain horse power...thats it 18hp..i believe.

u can use this 18hp to do drag racing or going for a world top speed for a 200cc bike...

u change whatever parts u need to achieve that..

but at the end of the day..you are still limited by a 200cc engine....

what i am trying to say is that..at the end of the day..something has to give..

want a particular characteristic improvement ..you will loose some thing..

incrase the front sprocket size..you loose accelearation power..

its like try taking off from a stand still with second gear..but gains top speed at the 6th gear..as i said .. figuratively speaking..

you lost your first gear and gain a seventh gear..haha..good luck to you new venture..

Edited by ezzyoiler

i love my ezzyoiler

experience the miracle...

where chain cleaning is history...

call 91797182..

:cheers::cheer:

Went to the mech today, sin boon there. Apparently, front sprocket cannot fit. Rear one, he didn't have the size. So I decided nevermind ah, seeing how so many people survive with the stock sprockets.

But that aside, today a problem arised while riding. Engine stalled(lousy clutch and throttle control la, hehe) when I tried to move off. Tried to start hear the battery weak click click sound. So just to clarify ah, it's either the battery problem or rectifier not charging the battery right? Or have I overlooked something, such as the fuse blowing or something?

Went to the mech today, sin boon there. Apparently, front sprocket cannot fit. Rear one, he didn't have the size. So I decided nevermind ah, seeing how so many people survive with the stock sprockets.

But that aside, today a problem arised while riding. Engine stalled(lousy clutch and throttle control la, hehe) when I tried to move off. Tried to start hear the battery weak click click sound. So just to clarify ah, it's either the battery problem or rectifier not charging the battery right? Or have I overlooked something, such as the fuse blowing or something?

fyi, rectifier does not act as a charger, it is a convertor, modern batteries are self-charging type.

if your fuse "blow", you wont get any power supply at all.

click click sound from your battery??? maybe sound comes from your e-start motor.

use voltmeter to check the status of your battery, if its new, the reading should be ard 13-14v, older one will lesser if reading lower than 11v, that means its time to change.

i think you think too much liao lah :p

hope the above helps.....

Haiya, turns out actually starter carbon spoil. Forgot to ask the mech today how long one starter carbon can last. So, any advice on how long it can go before my bike stops starting again?

Also, another question, spark plug how often need to change ah?

for start motor, quite subjective leh, dunno how to answer that....btw, how much you change the coil, $300???

for spark plug, maker's recommendation is 8000km, but think most of us changed at every 2nd oil change (eg, if regularly change oil at every 2000km, then change at every 4000km)

for the starter carbon, its $60 at ah chong.. tink shud be able to last a few years at least lar.. unless u stop n start at every traffic light.. haha..

spark plug is meant to last long la, but since its cheap, most of us do what vvss mentioned... to avoid unnecessary issues with the engine wif regards to the spark plug.. :)

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

ya, changing the size ratio of your sprockets do help improve or affect the speed of your bike, but i can say the result is insignificant.

so can i say no point for us to change?

non-techincal talk:-

for phantom ta200 with max speed approximately 130-140km/h (depending on individual engine's performance), it is considered good enough to cruise at approx. 110-120km/h (equivalent to 90% load) at singapore expressway not forgetting that our mandatory speed limit is 90km/h.

fyi, if you gonna caught for exceeding the speed of 40km/h and above over the mandatory speed limit, you cannot composite the summon and will be charged in court under the Traffic Offence Act, which will suspend or revoke your license accordingly if your accumulated demerit points meet the requirement under the DIPS System.

That will never happen except in KPE. :lol:

I have compared the meter speed with the GPS speed.

To get to 90km/hr the speed on MY Phantom meter is 103-105 km/hr.

The needle was almost 120km/hr to reach GPS reading of 100km/hr. 2B time still thought 120km/hr on NSHW very fast liao! Actually was crawling like a turtle 10km/hr lower than the 110km/hr speed limit on the highway! :lol::lol::lol:

So even if you go to 140km/hr on the Phantom meter, you are probably going at only 120km/hr. On a 90km/hr expressway, even if you try to go 40km/hr over the speed limit also very hard when riding a stock Phantom. :angel:

As to whether the rear spocket does make a difference or not, yes it does, but not a big one.

Mine is a smaller spocket, so acceleration from stand still is slightly slower, but top speed is 153km/hr on the meter when tested on the NSHW.

It's was on a downslope of course. :cheeky:

But guess what, 153km/hr actual speed is only 135km/hr! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Silent Hunter

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Haiya, turns out actually starter carbon spoil. Forgot to ask the mech today how long one starter carbon can last. So, any advice on how long it can go before my bike stops starting again?

Also, another question, spark plug how often need to change ah?

a normal one last about 25000km, while an iridium plug can last about 100000km :smile:

That will never happen except in KPE. :lol:

I have compared the meter speed with the GPS speed.

To get to 90km/hr the speed on MY Phantom meter is 103-105 km/hr.

The needle was almost 120km/hr to reach GPS reading of 100km/hr. 2B time still thought 120km/hr on NSHW very fast liao! Actually was crawling like a turtle 10km/hr lower than the 110km/hr speed limit on the highway! :lol::lol::lol:

So even if you go to 140km/hr on the Phantom meter, you are probably going at only 120km/hr. On a 90km/hr expressway, even if you try to go 40km/hr over the speed limit also very hard when riding a stock Phantom. :angel:

As to whether the rear spocket does make a difference or not, yes it does, but not a big one.

Mine is a smaller spocket, so acceleration from stand still is slightly slower, but top speed is 153km/hr on the meter when tested on the NSHW.

It's was on a downslope of course. :cheeky:

But guess what, 153km/hr actual speed is only 135km/hr! :lol::lol::lol:

lol thanks for the info. Was about ask for the actual speed of our meter. Lots of cars tailgating me when i'm doing 90 on land 2...

Live to Ride. Ride to Live

lol thanks for the info. Was about ask for the actual speed of our meter. Lots of cars tailgating me when i'm doing 90 on land 2...

that would be about 70+ km/h actual... well if the cars are being dangerous close behind you... give way to them... as long as we are involved in an accident we are always the losers...

but if they tailgate you on the left most lane then I have nothing to say... :sweat:

How do I take out the speedo cable connected to the front wheel to check if it's okay? Speedo won't register speeds again. :(

Spent about an hour yesterday just sitting there poking at the front wheel like a moron trying to get the cable out.

alamak, dont diy if you not sure, make yourself frustrated only, go your motordiam for help :sweat:

one end of the securing nut for the speedo cable is at the bottom of left front fork......

oh, burn.....1 more thing, have you checked the cable connection joint under the speedometer?? maybe the cable connection is loose under the speedometer, you can remove the speedometer cover by removing the 2 nuts near the speedometer and fuel tank cover on top of the chrome piece.

if the connections are not loosen, then remove the connections under the speedometer or at fork bottom, try see if you pull out the cable, if i not wrong, the cable normally snapped near to these 2 connection joints.

hope it helps.....

oh, burn.....1 more thing, have you checked the cable connection joint under the speedometer?? maybe the cable connection is loose under the speedometer, you can remove the speedometer cover by removing the 2 nuts near the speedometer and fuel tank cover on top of the chrome piece.

if the connections are not loosen, then remove the connections under the speedometer or at fork bottom, try see if you pull out the cable, if i not wrong, the cable normally snapped near to these 2 connection joints.

hope it helps.....

Yeah I tried, but the cable at the front wheel is daaaaaaamn hard to get out. Up until today, still no clue how to take out to see.

The cable on the speedo end haven't checked yet. hehe

Yeah I tried, but the cable at the front wheel is daaaaaaamn hard to get out. Up until today, still no clue how to take out to see.

The cable on the speedo end haven't checked yet. hehe

wd40 is your best friend for stubborn rusty screws, bolts and nuts.....