SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] TA 200 Fuel Consumption

LostRose

then i rather just use the kill switch on the handlebar, the lurching caused by the engine stalling probably is not good for the chain.

i'm happy with my bike's fuel consumption. some tinkling her and there and it runs faster and better than most phantom.

Good idea! Must give the kill switch a try. Thanks! :p

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your engine will start very easily with a single crank after the kill, no damage will be done, unlike the rumors spread around last year regarding damage after an "emergency kill".

It's nonsense since the killswitch is electrical, and simply cuts the spark to the engine. This is not a steam engine :p

Killing engine during long stop will reduce your engine temperature giving you smoother running and faster acceleration afterwards. That is, if you monitor engine temp vs efficiency charts as though it were an aircraft/ship.

Running it idle for long periods of time causes overheating. Yes, its just a small engine.. but relies on airflow for cooling. It's stated in the Honda manual that long idling (above 1.5 minutes) is not recommended.

So use the killswitch as aforesaid. But remember to switch off your headlights too, to conserve battery power.

Tried the kill switch and it is gooooood. :clap:

So to recap.

How to cut fuel consumption and reduce your carbon emission by killing the engine while waiting for the traffic lights.

The steps:

1) After tapping down to first gear, press on kill engine switch.

2) Reset kill switch to normal.

Wait for traffic light to change.

3) Clutch in, press start button while at first gear to start engine.

And you are good to go.

Let's do our part for Mother Earth and save some monies along the way.

Cheers!

Dont kill if its only a short wait...i only kill the engine when the lights just turned red , meaning more then 20secs waiting time then i kill it.

12 Jun 2008 - Class 2B

28 Jun 2008 - Honda Phantom TA 200 (COE 11/3/17)

17 Jan 2009 - Class 3

27 Oct 2009 - Class 2A

28 May 2016 - Yamaha Fino 115 (COE 04/8/24)

9 June 2017 - Honda CB400 Spec 2 (COE 02/1/23)

• 3 weeks later...
Did air filter really affect the FC?

my experience, YES! i once forgot to change my air filter and wonder why my FC drop by at least 50km per full tank.. realised i didnt change it for like 6 months.. changed it and voila! back to usual!

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

Once upon a time I inspected a bike for poor FC issue and found it totally clogged up with dirt and leaves.

How did the leaves get in? It was so clogged up that I was surprised no plants were growing out of it.

I playfully showed Ah Chong (Planet Motors) the filter and he threw it across the shop LMAO.

With a new filter and kopitiam-engineering retuned carb the 30km/l bike instantly became 40km/l and was much more powerful. Considering this 40km/l was achieved at normal commuting speeds (110kph highway), this bike would be a prime candidate for hypermileing configuration (46km/l achievable if you're super disciplined).

Therefore cost for +10km/l fuel economy = $10+ and coffee for the kitten.

Stock air filter is of industrial grade paper (very good). K&N "hi flow" filter reduces the level of protection to the engine. K&Ns are claimed to increase horsepower but in the real world this is false - the only way to actually increase HP is to modify the intake design.

K&Ns are also advertised to "last the lifespan of the vehicle" but this comes at a rather alarming cost. You need to buy a filter servicing kit and it takes more than a day to clean, dry and re-oil a K&N. And remember it is only "hi flow" because the pores in the filter are much larger than that of the industrial filters used by the auto manufacturers. You need industrial grade paper to stop the most minute particles that do the most harm to the engine.

Therefore, save that $70 and stick to Honda paper filters. Even without maintenance they are good for more than 10-15,000kms which is very good for a $10-15 item.

Some K&N dealers (including some on this forum) claim that putting on their filter gives you +10% horsepower. I can get much more than that spurious claim by designing a low-restriction intake (cost price $0), improving exhaust flow (cost price $2) and properly tuning the carburettor (cost price $0). If you have access to an aerospace engineer with plastic cutting / molding tools then some things can be done to decrease air resistance as well ($0-50)

$0-$2 for actual, real world gains. $70 K&N is a waste of money for a low maintenance commuter bike. That's the price for one month of fuel and an oil change!

Edited by Pandora's Kitten :3

Stock air filter is of industrial grade paper (very good). K&N "hi flow" filter reduces the level of protection to the engine. K&Ns are claimed to increase horsepower but in the real world this is false - the only way to actually increase HP is to modify the intake design.

K&Ns are also advertised to "last the lifespan of the vehicle" but this comes at a rather alarming cost. You need to buy a filter servicing kit and it takes more than a day to clean, dry and re-oil a K&N. And remember it is only "hi flow" because the pores in the filter are much larger than that of the industrial filters used by the auto manufacturers. You need industrial grade paper to stop the most minute particles that do the most harm to the engine.

Therefore, save that $70 and stick to Honda paper filters. Even without maintenance they are good for more than 10-15,000kms which is very good for a $10-15 item.

Some K&N dealers (including some on this forum) claim that putting on their filter gives you +10% horsepower. I can get much more than that spurious claim by designing a low-restriction intake (cost price $0), improving exhaust flow (cost price $2) and properly tuning the carburettor (cost price $0). If you have access to an aerospace engineer with plastic cutting / molding tools then some things can be done to decrease air resistance as well ($0-50)

$0-$2 for actual, real world gains. $70 K&N is a waste of money for a low maintenance commuter bike. That's the price for one month of fuel and an oil change!

Thank you for the great info!!

I love humanity but I hate people.The more I see of man,the more I like dogs.

• 1 month later...

finally finished running-in after 1500km.. just filled up just now.. got 33lm/l on caltex 98.. great! considering i pillion almost everyday for the past week, have 3 boxes, a lot of full throttle starts, and constantly riding 100-120 on d highway.. NICE!!! loving this bike more and more! its better FC than b4 overhauling, whr i got ard 30km/l even wif gentle riding..

Today 1st time I got to measure my Phantom's FC. It is 34.5 Km/Ltr and I fill RON 92 Esso. Compared to my previous bike, Pulsar 180 which used to give 45 Km/ltr its bad. But then the feel of a phantom is different so I guess its worth the reduced Fuel Efficiency.

May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2

Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200

Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3

Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

have u guys seen pandora's "KNN" filter?

Do what's right, not what you think is right. =)

how u guys manage to at fc 40km/l? done carb tuning?

my bike able to get the highest 36km/l running on semi-sync and shell v-power last time.

Try a lower grade petrol like 95. Will last you longer. Vpower are petrol of purer mix, thus will burn faster.

I AM BACK!!!!!

Try a lower grade petrol like 95. Will last you longer. Vpower are petrol of purer mix, thus will burn faster.

Agree!

V Power= No Power RON 98= Better than Vpower RON 95= SUPER!

Phantom TA200 2012, Vara 125 2013 (Betong)

TZR 125 (HatYai) 2013 & 2018 (Tak Bai)

CB400SF PB1 (Danok, HatYai, Yala, Betong and Su-ngai Kolok) 2014

CB400SF PB1 Iron Butt SaddleSore 1600k 25th Feb 2015

NT650V Deuville (Pattani) (Solo SG-MY-TH-LS)

ST1100 Pan 3 mountain ride in 24hr , MHS 1864 2017

http://tripdrive.blogspot.sg

The weight of rider also an important part on FC we like to miss out :cheeky:

Save on fuel but input on more food on stomach :p

The weight of rider also an important part on FC we like to miss out :cheeky:

Save on fuel but input on more food on stomach :p

GUILTY! hahaha! weight going up, and so is FC.. LOL! sad but true... :cry:

got 33km/l on Vpower... now on Caltex 92.. first tym trying 92 in my almost 2 years running the phantom...

almost no difference lei!!! hahaha! if hv also, feels slight roughness but nt dat notiecable. hope the mileage will be better lar.

Been using 92 petrol and i'm getting like 38km/L for a 9year old Phantom :D not bad!!!!

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

GUILTY! hahaha! weight going up, and so is FC.. LOL! sad but true... :cry:

got 33km/l on Vpower... now on Caltex 92.. first tym trying 92 in my almost 2 years running the phantom...

almost no difference lei!!! hahaha! if hv also, feels slight roughness but nt dat notiecable. hope the mileage will be better lar.

I have bad expenience with VPOWER and 98 I use 95 :)

Had done exhaust heat wrap today never gain anything but it cooler on engine side.

Maybe self weight loss also important.

:)

Yup dun find anyting special wif vpower except that i use it once in awhile to "cleanse" d fuel system. Usually run on 95 as well. Hope to stick to 92 if d mileage is good. Cux its running smoothly so far.