SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] TA 200 Fuel Consumption

LostRose

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
does the mileage being calculated from the speed

or maybe like those bicycle circumference of tyre kind?

HAHAHA.. i dunno..

I've been given to know that ALL motorcycles, with the exception of digital speedo (ala Bajaj Pulsar) over-read their speeds by 10-20%. I used to boast of hitting 160kph - obviously that is more akin to... *80% = 128, oops, still illegal.

Anyways, "indicated" speed may differ from "actual" speed - what I like to do on the road is find a newer-model Honda Civic with the huge digital speedo on the dash and check my real speed that way.

1. your right hand...twist gently when pick up..

2. your left leg...change to the highest gear gently..

maintain at the lowest possible speed at any gear.

3. you right leg..use sparingly..watch out for hazards and avoid hitting the barkes.

4. shed loads on the bike..including your GF.

5. plan your route with leastest traffic lights.

6. service and maintain your bike properly...eg correct air pressure for tyres..slightly higher for better fc...but bad for braking..

Good pointers - but a few observations from riding:

1. Coasting downhill -

Does engine braking use more fuel? Or pull in clutch and freewheel more economical?

2. Gear changing

Is it more fuel efficient to short-shift (change early) or to let the engine run up to optimal RPM? On my old bike I like to spend as little time as possible getting up to speed then cruise at 6th.

3. Riding & Cornering

Drafting behind other cars - does it reduce wind resistance if you ride behind someone? This will reduce power needed to cruise = more fuel efficient. Watch the road conditions way in front, though.

On this note - tunnels may give better FC as there is much less wind/turbulence in a tunnel. This is very noticeable in the KPE - there is much less noticeable "wind" from the front than when riding at the same speed on the surface.

Cornering - When conditions permit try to maintain a reasonable speed. A lot of drivers like to jam brakes whenever they see a corner, holding everyone up dangerously. Some filter lanes leading to highway onramps, for instance, can be 'attacked' at quite high speed without risk if you are familiar with nearby traffic lights.

One example is Woodlands Ave 3 -> BKE where the onramp is quite steep and usually needs some time on low gear to negotiate. However, if you can enter the corner wide and turn in closer to the inside ("apex") my 125Z could negotiate the uphill at a generous speed of close to 90kph (indicated).

Obviously my new TA200 is not as agile as a cub but I think if I rode with the intention of preserving momentum it can reduce a lot of braking and hard acceleration work.

But of course...

Maintain situational awareness!!

lol this is getting off-topic but I have to post this... my other bike weigh only 85kg! :cheeky:

Looks like im more heavier than ur other bike.....wonder what bike yah....:cheeky:

I want to see the world and i'm pretty sure the world wants to show a little something to me.

Hello everyone

I do a 190 km ride every weekend commuting to my job here in Thailand. Filled the tank to the brim, mountain and country roads for 80kms and good road and freeway for 110, kept the speed down to 90kph indicated for most of the way. Although did touch 100-110 occasionally, 31 kms per litre. Recently serviced, new air filter and plug. I weigh 86 kilos and maybe 10 kilos of luggage strapped to the sissy bar, usual crap in my bags, tools, tyre gauge and toilet roll, that kind of thing. I am happy with that. Also remember that Thai petrol quality is dubious, the pump indictated 91 octane gasoline but may well have been gasahol.

Happy Trails

That's pretty decent!

Now there are people who question the viability of a 200cc cruiser bike but from my observation it works pretty darn well :3

Yearly Expenditures ;

Insurance : $320

Road Tax : $64

HDB Season parking : $176 ($14.7 x 12)

Fuel : $250 (50 ringgit x 12 / 2.4)

ERP/parking : $50 (No ERP on the way to school )

Maintenance : $250

Total : $1110 a year = $92 a month. Affordable for a student :thumb:

All those working adults riding a phantom must be saving tons of $$$ :thumb:

12 Jun 2008 - Class 2B

28 Jun 2008 - Honda Phantom TA 200 (COE 11/3/17)

17 Jan 2009 - Class 3

27 Oct 2009 - Class 2A

28 May 2016 - Yamaha Fino 115 (COE 04/8/24)

9 June 2017 - Honda CB400 Spec 2 (COE 02/1/23)

Yearly Expenditures ;

Insurance : $320

Road Tax : $64

HDB Season parking : $176 ($14.7 x 12)

Fuel : $250 (50 ringgit x 12 / 2.4)

ERP/parking : $50 (No ERP on the way to school )

Maintenance : $250

Total : $1110 a year = $92 a month. Affordable for a student :thumb:

All those working adults riding a phantom must be saving tons of $$$ :thumb:

maintainence still got tyre , chain,sprocket,chain roller,camchain tensioner,engine(if need to overhaul) , if got parking fine or traffic offence :x

Covered 700km since 18 Mar, on 20 litres of fuel giving FC of 35km/l.

Very decent considering Yamaha Hell-Rider mode and having 2 side boxes. Big room for improvement if I stop blasting the throttle to disturb pedestrians, and get rid of the scrambler-like sprockets which will enable low rpm cruising.

Tip: Don't exceed 90kph - FC would increase as most of the engine power will be used to overcome air resistance from this point onwards.

ps. Yep, pickup will decrease if I use smaller rear sprocket but the issue now is I have way too much acceleration and no high speed dash capability because the RPM tops out way before max speed.

• 4 weeks later...

can hit 41-42km/L constantly. My riding consists of 75% on expressway at 80-90km/h speed and the rest in weaving through traffic jam at 40km/h. My bike has a 42L givi rear box and uses NGK platinum spark plug, motul 7100 20w50 full synthetic engine oil and shell #95 petrol. I guess the key is to accelerate gently and change gear early without excessively reving the engine. Usually my bike is at 6th gear upon reaching 62-64km/h.

is your bike still running with 2t premixed?

the next thing going to happen is lost of power....as leakages at the inlet/exhaust valves will be coated with soot and unable to close properly..

better stop the experiment or top overhaul is inevitable..

take care....

Yes, i m still running on 0.3% 2T oil premix. Nonetheless i have not experienced any loss of power after 6000km. The engine is smooth and quiet leh. probably not that much soot can be formed at such low 2T concentration given that the fuel mixture ratio is properly tuned and engine runs at healthy rpm.

• 2 months later...

Final FC report after poking my engine with a stick for a month, drilling holes in the airbox, etc;

40-42km/l on 'industry standard street testing course' involving 80-90kph cruise on highways, repeated full throttle starts from traffic lights. I follow a very predictable and constant routine commuting to and from work each day.

With Chex9000 motor oil, she purrs like a kitten at idle (solved the vibration issue!) and roars like a lioness at full tilt. Unsafe to rev in enclosed spaces :p

Hi all Bros,

Get a BROQUET FUEL CHARGER for your bike :thumb:

TESTED and PROVEN by many riders from this sgbikes forum itself,

LAST 400,000km,just drop into fuel tank .

NO Installation Required!!!

Save fuel,Increase bike power!

INCREASE Travel Mileage(proven by User Review from sgbikes user) and Bike Horsepower(Proven by Dyno Run)

See Customer Reviews below.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235030&page=14

B2 selling fast!!!!

sms 9875-9408(Derek) for collection. :thumb:

I have another (scientifically proven) idea to improve engine efficiency...

Some mad Frenchman I think designed a 6-stroke engine, possibly used today in industrial applications only. One of the extra strokes are used for refrigerating the fuel-air charge.

As you know, aircooled engines partially rely on the incoming fuel-air mixture for cooling (hence carb tuning plays a huge role in efficiency).

Therefore installing some sort of heat exchanger on the fuel line may possibly yield some dividends if it can cool the fuel down perhaps 1-2 deg C.... or wrap the tank in your winter jacket and put dry ice in :D

I'm willing to experiment with creating a miniature air to air heat exchanger system just for the fun of it next month.

Wow, an interesting take on water injection.

A long time ago when doing military history stuff I stumbled on late WW2 German aircraft that injected a methanol-water solution into the fuel-air charge to retard detonation and thus, enable significantly higher boost pressures.

A typical Daimler Benz 1200hp supercharged engine produced over 2000hp on this "MW50" water-injection for short bursts by the end of the war.

Now since my engine does run a bit hotter than normal Phantoms I could borrow your chain oiler concept to dispense water onto the cylinder block. Air mist assisted cooling!

For doubters of the science, I have benefited from a lorry speeding home at 100kph leaking water out the tailgate creating a huge mist (fish delivery lorry!). I rode in that mist and omg, I could do the "Bernoulli effect supercharging" all the way without the lean mixture overheating the engine.

At that time the carb mixture wasn't properly tuned yet.

Fuel additives are completely useless and marketed without lab tests. If someone can't tell me how it works scientifically IN SIMPLE ENGLISH, it's a scam.

Conversely, doing *cough* Type R modifications to improve engine efficiency and power per stroke eliminated flaws in the basic Phantom design to give me a desired balance of throttle response, quick acceleration and 41.5km/l FC.

Don't need explanation on how an exhaust wrap decreases engine temperature by up to 40%, for instance. It's old school tuner knowledge you can learn and exploit yourself on any engine.

Magical fuel pills that claim to save 10% mileage? No thanks.

It's the right hand and the brain that are the primary controls of FC.

Save the money, get a toolkit :)

ps. A long time ago I made a 25km/l design go 37km/l while increasing cruising speed from 90 to 130. I got that boost for free, doing the same things I do now to my Phantom ie, simple mechanical tuning.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

27km/l on a 2stroke is decent! See if it can reach 30 with smaller rear sprocket and careful riding!

2T consumption - depends on engine design and 2T flow rate. TA150 owners should be able to tell you their average 2T usage.

--

I'm trying to get my FC up to 50km/l and beyond with some super careful clutch control and coasting downhill to gain/conserve momentum.

Last week's 47km/l was pretty much full throttle time attack with the gents from TPY and nearby. Yes, I was on max. torque all the way :p