SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

Originally posted by sb_rider@Sep 21 2004, 08:09 AM

Thanks. :smile:

No wonder cannot find. Electrical store sell engine oil. haha :cheeky:

Because motodiams find it not profitable to sell the Royal Purple dat's why don have at all motodiams so the agents have to sell it on their own......

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rockoil@Sep 8 2004, 07:00 PM

Hi guys,

Just thinking if motorbike can use those big bottle 5 litres engine oil for cars???

Cos they are cheaper and some even got the same model use for bike...

:confused:

You're right bro, my friend also says that its cheaper to do that.

5L of Esso(fully syn) will cost ard 90bucks. This is usually a good engine oil for cars. Some high-end bikes do use this too... worth trying...

Be a master of your habits, or they will master you...

Don't let the crowd pressure you, stand for something or you'll fall for anything...

Don't be a show off when you drive, drive with safety and arrive...

God Bless all riders...

Car engine oils can be used on bikes??

I thought diff specs.....not so advisable to do it.o_O

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5048/10304130.jpg

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

• 2 weeks later...

those who bought 20W-50 motor oil at S$10.50 r meant for car/diesel engine, it not for motorcycle engine.

motorcycle engine oil is labelled as Max-Cycle 20W-50 selling at S$16 which is still cheaper than other synthetic oil brands like Rockoil($18), Castrol R4($23), Mobil Gold($25).

anyway, i also brought the $10.50 synthetic oil then realized it can't be just labelled as motor oil. checked the website to confirm n went back to the shop to exchange n pay the extra more for the right stuff.

http://www.synerlec.com/mediaa/images/cycle3lg.jpg

Originally posted by stsoh@Oct 6 2004, 03:38 PM

those who bought 20W-50 motor oil at S$10.50 r meant for car/diesel engine, it not for motorcycle engine.

motorcycle engine oil is labelled as Max-Cycle 20W-50 selling at S$16 which is still cheaper than other synthetic oil brands like Rockoil($18), Castrol R4($23), Mobil Gold($25).

anyway, i also brought the $10.50 synthetic oil then realized it can't be just labelled as motor oil. checked the website to confirm n went back to the shop to exchange n pay the extra more for the right stuff.

http://www.synerlec.com/mediaa/images/cycle3lg.jpg

U're right it's car engine oil but it's still can be use on motorcycles. Here's the official reply from the Royal Purple guys.

The Royal Purple SAE Motor Oils are API/ ILSAC certified; they have not been subjected to JASO test sequences. However, I am confident they would greatly exceed MA/ MB specifications. I can account personally for their wet-clutch compatibility as I have used these oils in my last three Honda street bikes ('95 CB750 Night Hawk, '98 VF750C Magna, and '00 VTR1000 Super Hawk) prior to the release of the Max Cycle line of engine oils (11/03). As well, we have literally thousands of customers using/ have used the SAE engine oils in wet-clutch applications. The SAE engine oils are a suitable alternative to the Max Cycle line of engine oils in all motorcycle applications.

Jared Martin

Retail Products Division

281-354-7788 ext. 240 voice

281-354-7335 fax

[email protected]

http://www.royalpurple.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 9:03 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Hi Does your Royal Purple Motor Oil hav JASO MA certification?

Hi just like to enquire if your Royal Purple Motor Oil have the JASO MA certification to support my motorcycle wet clutch??? I'll be waiting for your answer. Thank You. In Singapore I can't find Max cycle product range so I would like to try the Royal Purple Motor Oil. I am now riding a 4-stroke Honda Wave motorcycle.

History n Present ride

I am using it cheap and good. Basically they are the same and using technology.

Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

http://45.media.tumblr.com/f183dbd75b05df79cf6f77dba98d7339/tumblr_o1sqbk4h8Z1s5rcozo1_400.gif

Originally posted by redname@Oct 7 2004, 09:20 PM

wah. where u buy one? so ex, ad $15 or $16 can get liao

i brought max-cycle motorcycle oil ($16) at the same shop in tg pagar n motor oil is still selling at $10.50.

so a bit confuse tat u say expensive cos at the daelim agent sold castrol r4 at $23, daelim agent won't reduce it's price n i know that elsewhere is selling castrol r4 at $21.50.

rockoil i know that most shop r selling at $18 n chk at mobil station selling mobil gold synthetic motorcycle oil around $25 or was it $27.

max-cycle motorcycle oil is formulated for motorcycle use n also no harm in using motor oil as described earlier by RxzDelux.

which oil brand r u talking about that is expensive?

Yo man,

So far the oils that I know which are ester based oils available here are Fuchs and Motul.. any more that you know of?

Thanks!

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by il4@Oct 8 2004, 12:36 PM

some of the oil that we know are no longer full ester base....its a blend only.

redline engine oil are full ester tho...

silkolene's Pro4 Plus full ester as well, however the price is very much higher.....i can no longer give you the price i used to carry, hence i'm dropping fuch oil.

i'm veering towards redline oil

Redline.... hmmm think it's more popular in the States right? Any lobangs?

Does that mean Pro 4 is only a ester-blended? Damn.....

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

how much does BP sell castrol r4 ?

list a top 3 of yr fav 4t :) + price

btw how much for e oil below ?

1.respol oil

2.castrol r4

3.royal purple..

'R6' RedlineRocketRedesignRazor sharpRevolutionaryReward 6.

http://content.wicms.com/shared/images/YAMAHA_Common_Images/Logos/yamaha_logo_red.gif

silkolene's Pro4 Plus full ester as well, however the price is very much higher.....i can no longer give you the price i used to carry, hence i'm dropping fuch oil.

Which shop u get redline engine oil? :confused:

History n Present ride

Originally posted by stsoh@Oct 7 2004, 10:08 PM

i brought max-cycle motorcycle oil ($16) at the same shop in tg pagar n motor oil is still selling at $10.50.

so a bit confuse tat u say expensive cos at the daelim agent sold castrol r4 at $23, daelim agent won't reduce it's price n i know that elsewhere is selling castrol r4 at $21.50.

rockoil i know that most shop r selling at $18 n chk at mobil station selling mobil gold synthetic motorcycle oil around $25 or was it $27.

max-cycle motorcycle oil is formulated for motorcycle use n also no harm in using motor oil as described earlier by RxzDelux.

which oil brand r u talking about that is expensive?

haha, i purposely make it bold for u to notice somemore. i was toking about the R4 and esso Gold, can get for $15, $16

do tell which bike shop got sell n change castrol r4 full syn oil for $15 or $16?

becos the place i frequent is a agent for my bike under two years warranty, so i have to do service there n kena chopped, want to change oil elsewhere or if i bring my own oil they charge me $5 still cheaper by one or two dollars.

Originally posted by Yamaha@Oct 12 2004, 05:20 AM

who carry redline product? care to share?

I think il4 knows where to get it.... :confused:

History n Present ride

Originally posted by stsoh@Oct 11 2004, 10:02 PM

do tell which bike shop got sell n change castrol r4 full syn oil for $15 or $16?

becos the place i frequent is a agent for my bike under two years warranty, so i have to do service there n kena chopped, want to change oil elsewhere or if i bring my own oil they charge me $5 still cheaper by one or two dollars.

u can get R4 for $16 at HKL or LAB. u go agent of cuz more ex lor

some useful info., read this:

Can I use car engine oil in my motorbike then?

Well, actually you can, but all sorts of nasty things happen if you do.

Oils formulated for car engines have friction-modifiers in them.

If you top up your bike with car oil, this causes a problem because most motorbike have a wet clutch - ie. a clutch that sits partially immersed in the sump oil.

When the engine oil gets into the clutch, the friction-modifiers get to work and you'll end up with a clutch that won't bite.

Bike oils don't have friction-modifiers, so they don't have this problem.

If you're not sure, check for a JASO MA spec on the bottle. If you see that on the label, then it means the oil has been tested and confirmed to work with a wet clutch.

:smile:

Originally posted by stsoh@Oct 16 2004, 01:13 AM

some useful info., read this:

Can I use car engine oil in my motorbike then?

Well, actually you can, but all sorts of nasty things happen if you do.

Oils formulated for car engines have friction-modifiers in them.

If you top up your bike with car oil, this causes a problem because most motorbike have a wet clutch - ie. a clutch that sits partially immersed in the sump oil.

When the engine oil gets into the clutch, the friction-modifiers get to work and you'll end up with a clutch that won't bite.

Bike oils don't have friction-modifiers, so they don't have this problem.

If you're not sure, check for a JASO MA spec on the bottle. If you see that on the label, then it means the oil has been tested and confirmed to work with a wet clutch.

:smile:

cars also have wet clutch also rite? if they use dry clutch then they will start sounding like "ice cream man"

Originally posted by redname@Oct 16 2004, 03:00 AM

cars also have wet clutch also rite? if they use dry clutch then they will start sounding like "ice cream man"

Yes, but their clutch is seperated from the engine. i.e Do not share the same oil.

Hey I wanna Redline !!!

Gimme 3 btls okay !

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/uploads/photo-3088.gif

find out more info. about automotive motor oil for bike use. read below:

Q: IS AUTOMOTIVE MOTOR OIL BAD FOR A MOTORCYCLE?

A: Not bad, but probably not the best. Why not? It is designed in reverse order to a motorcycle oil. The priority hierarchy of automotive motor oil is: (1) Maximize fuel economy. (2) Reduce emissions. (3) Offer protection for the moving parts. Today's automotive motor oils do not have the same degree of extreme pressure and anti-wear agents that they did just a decade ago.

Q: WHEN WAS AUTOMOTIVE OIL AT ITS BEST?

A: Oil changed ten years ago when automakers were pressured to clean up the air. Since 1993, the entire automotive industry has worked to reduce exhaust emissions. Automotive motor oil must adhere to the performance categories set by the American Petroleum Institute (API). These are called the API Service Categories. The API categories have been around for 50 years, but for the first 35, the categories were upgraded six times to meet the demand for higher engine performance.

The current American Petroleum Institute (API) designation is SL. The API SL oils are designed to provide better high temperature deposit control and lower oil consumption. SL oils are missing important agents that improve extreme use lubrication. In their place are friction modifiers that improve fuel economy.

Q: WILL AUTOMOTIVE MOTOR OIL HURT MY BIKE?

A: It could. If you're using an automotive motor oil in your racing four-stroke, you're not buying the best protection. An API SL oil is missing vital anti-wear components: the most common being zinc, phosphorus and sulfur. These agents are harmful to the catalyst that is used to diminish the level of pollutants in automobile exhaust.

Q: WILL AUTOMOTIVE OIL HURT MY CLUTCH?

A: Yes. The friction modifiers in motor oil improve fuel economy by making it easier for the gears, bearings, pistons and rings to slip, slide and turn inside the engine. Unfortunately, these friction-minimizing agents also make it easier for the clutch in a motorcycle to slip. If you are using automotive motor oil in your bike, apart from CRFs, you are losing hook-up and acceleration, as well as reducing the life of the clutch.

Q: WHY SHOULD I MEMORIZE THE ACRONYM "JASO"?

A: As soon as it became apparent that the American gahment was mandating economy over protection, the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) developed a standard specifically for performance fourstroke motorcycles. JASO designates two different four-stroke oil classifications: MA and MB. The MB oil is low friction and the MA is sans the friction enhancers.

Q: WHY ARE MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC OILS BETTER?

A: Motorcycle specific oils are pumped up with five times the anti-wear, anti-scuff and extreme pressure additives of regular motor oil. As an added plus, motorcycle oil does not include molybdenum disulfide and other friction modifiers that wreak havoc on clutch performance.

Maxima, a popular motorcycle oil supplier, starts with an API SG Service Category base oil, the last formulation that wasn't regulated as to the amount of zinc-dialkyldithiophosphate (zinc, phosphorus and sulfur) it could contain. Maxima then boosts protection through a proprietary mix of performance additives. The end result is a motorcycle oil that doesn't break down under extreme heat and is tough enough to cushion meshing gears.