SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

for my first petrol, nope. still 24km/l. will monitor as ongoing. but for now, feels like 50 weight feels better. maybe because old bike, so the tolerances between gaps are wider. thicker oil will not get blowby as easily.

February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200

March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400

Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

922913_10151689291867959_1156170833_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for my first petrol, nope. still 24km/l. will monitor as ongoing. but for now, feels like 50 weight feels better. maybe because old bike, so the tolerances between gaps are wider. thicker oil will not get blowby as easily.

thanks. keep us updated. i doubt the hit will be noticeable. the viscosity is just a few cst higher then a 40weight. most likely just a few percent different which won't appear.

i just run out of delo 400. going to make a trip to malaysia soon for some delvac mx. as much as i feel like running some high-end synthetic oil, i can't bring myself to do it. after reading hundred of UOA, i have never found the reason to do so. it a love hate relationship:cheeky: just like k&n air filter, as much as i feel like using it, some reading always stop me:cry:

i use castrol too... but castrol lorry oil:cheeky:

i thinking of adding this for my next oil change. read alot of good things about it and some UOA show slightly lower wear metal with it. Schaeffer make good stuffs:thumb: of course, if you are already using good oil, there is no need to add anything.

at $15 per bottle, with a treatment rate of 10% it should last me for about 5 oil change.

that moly treatment okay for wet clutch? it will be cool if possible to make cheaper oils even better!

thanks. keep us updated. i doubt the hit will be noticeable. the viscosity is just a few cst higher then a 40weight. most likely just a few percent different which won't appear.

i just run out of delo 400. going to make a trip to malaysia soon for some delvac mx. as much as i feel like running some high-end synthetic oil, i can't bring myself to do it. after reading hundred of UOA, i have never found the reason to do so. it a love hate relationship:cheeky: just like k&n air filter, as much as i feel like using it, some reading always stop me:cry:

hahaha. do update us on the price of delvac mx over in msia. last tym i bought last year was RM20 per qt. if its cheaper or ard that price, might wanna make a trip to get a few more bottles. wanna try back HDEO lar. haha! been on Mobil 1 V-twin for almost a year. excellent oil but at $18 each, abit ex lar.

either that or im tempted to try the Schaeffer #9000 at $13 each. not bad for a FS.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

that moly treatment okay for wet clutch? it will be cool if possible to make cheaper oils even better!

hahaha. do update us on the price of delvac mx over in msia. last tym i bought last year was RM20 per qt. if its cheaper or ard that price, might wanna make a trip to get a few more bottles. wanna try back HDEO lar. haha! been on Mobil 1 V-twin for almost a year. excellent oil but at $18 each, abit ex lar.

either that or im tempted to try the Schaeffer #9000 at $13 each. not bad for a FS.

the moly treatment is fine for wet clutch. the "moly" name is just a marketing plot. there is actually very little moly in the treatment. almost non-existing after you add it into your oil. check up this thread for more information.

i will up date on the price of delvac mx. the schaeffer is good stuffs. here an UOA for your enjoyment.

• 2 weeks later...
the moly treatment is fine for wet clutch. the "moly" name is just a marketing plot. there is actually very little moly in the treatment. almost non-existing after you add it into your oil. check up this thread for more information.

i will up date on the price of delvac mx. the schaeffer is good stuffs. here an UOA for your enjoyment.

Hi Iso, have you heard of another metal treatment concentrate called MSP? I understand it is more used in cars and trucks. Not sure how it would fare with wet clutch as this product is said to be very potent with its anti friction properties.

Hi Iso, have you heard of another metal treatment concentrate called MSP? I understand it is more used in cars and trucks. Not sure how it would fare with wet clutch as this product is said to be very potent with its anti friction properties.

if you are using decent engine oil, i do not see the need for engine oil treatment. with the money use to buy MSP, you can easily get some top tier engine oil. if you ask me, i do not suggest using it. a quick look at MSP website did not reveal it ingredient. normally i am not too confident in "secret formula".

as for your questions, i think it is safe for wet clutch. such additive normally only bond to metal surface only.

Diesel oil huh? Yeah, it works great. Did an oil change with Schaffers' once and things are great, precisely so cause it doesn't have friction modifiers which is present in car engines. One thing though, the ash and sulfur is slightly higher on the Diesel oil as compared to conventional engine oil.

Mmm, was searching for Rimula R6 LM but thing is, it is not available locally or Malaysia. Unless you count in the Marine Industry which uses these Diesel oil in Pails and drums.

Same goes for the Delvac 1. Found one Esso at Upper Thomson that have the Delvac 1 but it's too costly for a 5L bottle bout $105, not cost effective. Called up Mobil but the numbers they gave me only deals in fleet or marine industry, again the 20L pail or 300+ L drum.

So currently, to maximise savings, I'm on AmsOIL AMO 10W40, $14.50 per quart. Pretty reasonable, I must say. OCI would be at 10k, given the extended drain coverage by AmOIL.

I'm a Tutor! Proud to be one!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/lexanez/IMG_0008.jpg

Chex is good, but 18$ is overpriced for it. Someplaces it used to sell at 14$. But now most places it is 16$. I think the motul you mention is I think semisyn 5100 is also overpriced, it can be got for 16-18$

Yeah true,got to depend on your luck and preferably where you stay.

Not practical to travel so far to waste time and petrol just to save a few dollars,from my point of view though.

Unless you are going to kill two birds with one stone,than maybe worth it.You must do your own calculations.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/mercenary_017/BusaKenji.jpg

XR4 is reputable for it reliability, the only cons is it will consume E.O.

Do check and top up if E.O. run low.

Well not for mine,as i already overhauled the bike previously.Changed engine oil frequently and follow strictly the mileage recommended through manual.

mxtradings have schaeffer v-twin 20w50 @ $12 for those interested..

I am looking for fully syn 10w 40 for my new scoot.Going to try other brands,as agip city tech is so far highly recommended but costly.

Caltex just introduced Havoline with Deposit Shield. Exceeds API SN rating which is the highest standard now. Though its available in malaysia for now.

Interested to try though i just changed my EO from w40 to w50 Chex.

bike seems to perform better with 50 weight. previous maxima 40 weight degraded around 2k mark, which is unusually low for 3L worth. Maxima on my phantom was the best whereby the bike felt light and vibration was minimal.

I guess each bike prefers different types of oil.

next up, ROCKOIL!

Rockoil tested on my beast previously,it's quite good.Recommended.

(I transferred this question from another thread, hope this is ok)

What are the makes of motorcycles which have clutch/transmission compartment separate from engine oil compartment? I seem vaguely remember some people mentioned Ducatis which use dry clutch and BMWs, Harley... Anyone knows of any other makes?

It seems that most makes of motorcycles have been designed to have the wet clutch system share the engine oil crankcase and therefore also the engine oil for clutch lubrication and cooling. A lot of clutch slippage problems in these makes of motorcycles are said to be attributed to some engine oils which may over lubricate the clutch plates where friction is needed.

Is there any chance in the future where new motorcycle models would have separate clutch/transmission and crankcase compartments just like most cars so that engine oil is for engine and clutch oil is for clutch plates and discs and we wouldn't have slippage problems again due to eo.:)

Edited by benlu
Added Harley

if you are using decent engine oil, i do not see the need for engine oil treatment. with the money use to buy MSP, you can easily get some top tier engine oil. if you ask me, i do not suggest using it. a quick look at MSP website did not reveal it ingredient. normally i am not too confident in "secret formula".

as for your questions, i think it is safe for wet clutch. such additive normally only bond to metal surface only.

Thank you Iso for your learned reply!

Ok thanks,but i am aiming for Amsoil 10w40 what do you think?

Which one would you be going for? The AMO 10w40 or the MCF 10w40?

Both are fully synthetic and the MCF is meant for Motorcycles while the AMO is pretty good as well as it does not have friction modifiers.

Been using the AMO 10w40 on my bike and yeah, it's pretty good. As stated above, my OCI is at 10k.

I'm a Tutor! Proud to be one!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/lexanez/IMG_0008.jpg

Diesel oil huh? Yeah, it works great. Did an oil change with Schaffers' once and things are great, precisely so cause it doesn't have friction modifiers which is present in car engines. One thing though, the ash and sulfur is slightly higher on the Diesel oil as compared to conventional engine oil.

Mmm, was searching for Rimula R6 LM but thing is, it is not available locally or Malaysia. Unless you count in the Marine Industry which uses these Diesel oil in Pails and drums.

Same goes for the Delvac 1. Found one Esso at Upper Thomson that have the Delvac 1 but it's too costly for a 5L bottle bout $105, not cost effective. Called up Mobil but the numbers they gave me only deals in fleet or marine industry, again the 20L pail or 300+ L drum.

So currently, to maximise savings, I'm on AmsOIL AMO 10W40, $14.50 per quart. Pretty reasonable, I must say. OCI would be at 10k, given the extended drain coverage by AmOIL.

schaeffer oil is loaded with FM. much higher then alot of conventional oil out there. it CJ-4 rated so no worry about it ash level.

amsoil AMO is good stuffs. it is amsoil old motorcycle oil forumula.

Which one would you be going for? The AMO 10w40 or the MCF 10w40?

Both are fully synthetic and the MCF is meant for Motorcycles while the AMO is pretty good as well as it does not have friction modifiers.

Been using the AMO 10w40 on my bike and yeah, it's pretty good. As stated above, my OCI is at 10k.

Thanks for sharing.