SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Harley Riders gather

Guest easyrider

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 13 2006, 10:01 AM

I had actually wanted only a black machine and they had none. Initially they told me that I can order and it'll come in April. I don't mind the wait though.

However, after a couple of phone calls, they told me that there is a black XL1200L in the Nov shipment.

I like it all black. And actually I like the matt black speedometer of the 883 version more. The less chrome the better! Less cleaning hassle.

Maybe we'll be collecting at the same time!

Is it ok if u furnish me with financial info of your purchase of the 1200L i.e total price,downpayment and installments? Thanks

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/201108/tarka.gif

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 23 2006, 03:09 PM

I was thinking... a dangerous pastime.... Does anybody here change their brakes to Brembo or stuffs like that. I'm going to miss my brakes on my BMW once I get the Sportster.

I know exactly what you meant. :D

I am also still experimenting. :p

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Daryous/My%20Motorcycles/NAFeelingLucky.gif

Originally posted by mamat@Oct 23 2006, 11:49 PM

Is it ok if u furnish me with financial info of your purchase of the 1200L i.e total price,downpayment and installments? Thanks

The price is tagged at $23500, not inclusive of COE, which is about $1000. You need to down at least 10% and you can pay it over a max period of 5 years. Interest rate is 3.85% per annum. Road tax is about $400++, insurance is close to $1000 if you are above 32, more if you are younger.

Pop over to Harley and talk to the sales people. WARNING: don't sit on the bikes as you would get into a trance-like state and pull out your credit card before you know it!

If you want to know the details of my payment, you have to meet me in person and win my trust first! :cheeky:

1992: Suzuki GN125

1995: Suzuki Intruder 400

2000: BMW R1100R

2006: Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Low

2008: BMW F800ST

2011: BMW R1200R Classic (still riding)

2015: Harley Davidson Low Rider

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 25 2006, 09:29 AM

The price is tagged at $23500, not inclusive of COE, which is about $1000. You need to down at least 10% and you can pay it over a max period of 5 years. Interest rate is 3.85% per annum. Road tax is about $400++, insurance is close to $1000 if you are above 32, more if you are younger.

Pop over to Harley and talk to the sales people. WARNING: don't sit on the bikes as you would get into a trance-like state and pull out your credit card before you know it!

If you want to know the details of my payment, you have to meet me in person and win my trust first! :cheeky:

The trance-like state will come when you try it. Most likely, your head will over-rule your heart when you find out how much you have to fork out :cheeky:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Originally posted by gohjohan@Oct 25 2006, 10:54 AM

The trance-like state will come when you try it. Most likely, your head will over-rule your heart when you find out how much you have to fork out :cheeky:

In my case, my heart overruled my head!

If I carried on with my current ride, I got ABS, great suspension, torquey engine, big panniers, and best of all, it is all paid for.

The first time I went to the dealership with my wife (was buying mattresses nearby). I sat on a few bikes and some of them were very nice. Took the brochure home and for the next few days, found myself looking at all the specs and comparing the bikes.

The second time, I went to sit on the XL1200 L, it was near perfect for me. I was on it and chatting to Daniel (sales), it was at least a full 20 min! The third time I went to place a deposit on the bike.

Of course, it helps when Harleys are priced not much more than jap big bores, and much less than a beemer (my heart would be with a beemer if not for the current prices).

Well i did pop in the delaership last week after shopping at ikea.was the only 'customer' there.there were HOGs vrooming in one by one to hangout.the numbers on the bikes' price tags was :giddy: Then was approached by Gary the sales exec and we started chatting.found out we were the same age and married and wanna get a harley but money woes and the stuff.He asked me to sit on the bikes and and he held the front wheel between his legs and i put my legs up both pegs.shiok boy.i prefer the the 888R's posture.the Custom is not bad with its 'clamshell' position.but i find the Low awkward.the streetbob and fatboy was great too.

well u know,sales people.they make it sound so sweet and simple;the financing etc.I was like quoting from an ad: "...for everything else ,there's Mastercard" :)

Citing wat gohjohan say abt the head overuling the heart,i agree to that.Few mths ago i was dreaming of wat cl 2 bike i wanna upgrade to and thought abt all the japs bikes.then there was Harley...

But with that kinda prices u can get a almost-new ST1300,FJR and the like.guess i wont get a HD as my first Cl 2 bike.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/201108/tarka.gif

Originally posted by mamat@Oct 25 2006, 05:11 PM

But with that kinda prices u can get a almost-new ST1300,FJR and the like.guess i wont get a HD as my first Cl 2 bike.

But of course.

They are different bikes of different countries....

One you pay for technology... the other you pay for the heritage and image and a whole lot of metal...

:thumb:

Originally posted by mamat@Oct 25 2006, 05:11 PM

Well i did pop in the delaership last week after shopping at ikea.was the only 'customer' there.there were HOGs vrooming in one by one to hangout.the numbers on the bikes' price tags was :giddy: Then was approached by Gary the sales exec and we started chatting.found out we were the same age and married and wanna get a harley but money woes and the stuff.He asked me to sit on the bikes and and he held the front wheel between his legs and i put my legs up both pegs.shiok boy.i prefer the the 888R's posture.the Custom is not bad with its 'clamshell' position.but i find the Low awkward.the streetbob and fatboy was great too.

well u know,sales people.they make it sound so sweet and simple;the financing etc.I was like quoting from an ad: "...for everything else ,there's Mastercard" :)

Citing wat gohjohan say abt the head overuling the heart,i agree to that.Few mths ago i was dreaming of wat cl 2 bike i wanna upgrade to and thought abt all the japs bikes.then there was Harley...

hi mamat

just don't cried when you want to sell your Jap bike and it don't worth sh--'.

i almost did when they offer me $1,200.00 for the Vulcan Classic which i paid $17,400.00 albeit it's nine yrs old. heh ... heh .... at least this time round i know better.....

harley or nothing for me

cheers :goodluck:

Originally posted by free spirit@Oct 30 2006, 05:50 PM

just don't cried when you want to sell your Jap bike and it don't worth sh--'.

i almost did when they offer me $1,200.00 for the Vulcan Classic which i paid $17,400.00 albeit it's nine yrs old. heh ... heh :

Is $1200 for a 9 yr old bike that was worth $17k that bad? Even if you did depreciate your vulcan in straightline, it would be worth no more that $1700. And we all know few things depreciate in a straight line. So would you really say that you've been short changed by a whole lot at $1200?

Originally posted by Steppenwolf@Oct 30 2006, 06:30 PM

Is $1200 for a 9 yr old bike that was worth $17k that bad? Even if you did depreciate your vulcan in straightline, it would be worth no more that $1700. And we all know few things depreciate in a straight line. So would you really say that you've been short changed by a whole lot at $1200?

depreciation in straight lines ?? :confused: short changed !!:weep: i don't know but i know that i'll not buy another Vulcan when i actually wanted to ride 'classic' bikes. ten years down the road ,my little girl still can take over her old man's sportster but not if the bike 's a copy trying to be an icon and classic for that matter.:weep: :giddy:

Originally posted by johncena+Oct 30 2006, 07:32 PM-->
QUOTE (johncena @ Oct 30 2006, 07:32 PM)
hi everyone.

was at my cousin's house the other day when i saw this monster beside a sportster. it's huge compared to the harley. it didn't have any logos or symbols on it so i was just wondering what on earth is it.

anyone knows? [/b]

I was sure I've seen those bikes at SBBF

Originally posted by gohjohan@Oct 31 2006, 12:17 AM

I was sure I've seen those bikes at SBBF

The Harley sales people assured me that it's going to be more than 10 years. Probably even old enough for the grand kids to take over.

Hmm.... hopefully by then, I would have forgotten where I hid that ****** key... :cheeky:

A brand new sportster 1200 cost more then 20k while a 10 year old one now cost around 10k. Is that not depreciation of about 1k a year?

I also saw an ad selling a 2004 Fatboy for 24k. So thats about 10k depreciation a year. If this is the case, I could have almost bought a VTX 1300 brand new with the 20k depreciation in 2 years.

Yes we can keep the bike for a long time. Question is, how many will do so. Only a handful keep their bikes for a long time. Unlike wives, we are allowed to change our rides as often as we want. :)

For me, I would not mind getting a second hand Harley. Had a friend who bought a 8 year old Sportster 1200 for 7.5k and its in good condition. But if on can afford a new ride, why not. Nothing beats riding a virgin bike .. if I may say so. It feels good! New paintwork, new leather seats ... just like new cars! You can just smell it!

Me, My bike and Me!

Originally posted by johncena@Oct 30 2006, 07:32 PM

hi everyone.

was at my cousin's house the other day when i saw this monster beside a sportster. it's huge compared to the harley. it didn't have any logos or symbols on it so i was just wondering what on earth is it.

anyone knows?

I know this bike, is Deuce with V&H pipe. :p

German owner to local owner to now British owner. :D

I got no money, otherwise I could have bought that time. :pity:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Daryous/My%20Motorcycles/NAFeelingLucky.gif

Frankly, if we put dollars and cents into bike riding, I would just go out and buy a Super 4, or maybe a Pulsar thing, or a cub. Or better still, take public transport.

I would prefer a ride that would put a smile on my face everytime I go home. It is more than a "point A to point B" thing. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a 10 day vacation, some buy $10k plus Leica cameras, some buy $2k fish that does nothing except swim around.

Taking a straight line depreciation, and assume that it has zero value after 10 years, a Sportster is maybe a couple of hundreds a year of depreciation more than a big bore Jap copy, a Dyna is not far behind too. With the limited numbers every year, I'll prefer a Harley anytime if I am buying a cruiser. For that, I get belt drive (I hate chain), potential to customize (nice saddle bags, detachable windshield, all-roads-lead-to-chrome thingy) , enjoy replacements of parts I can fix myself, and enjoy the services of nice sales people.

Of course, the above are from my thinking head weighing pros and cons. The intangibles, like the smile on my face, cannot be measured.

If you are comparing a Harley with a ST1300, VFRs, Fazers, then a Harley is not worth it at all. But are such comparisons apple to apple?

Originally posted by free spirit@Oct 30 2006, 11:27 PM

depreciation in straight lines ?? :confused: short changed !!:weep: i don't know but i know that i'll not buy another Vulcan when i actually wanted to ride 'classic' bikes. ten years down the road ,my little girl still can take over her old man's sportster but not if the bike 's a copy trying to be an icon and classic for that matter.:weep: :giddy:

It's of course absolutely your choice on your preference of bikes.

Whether or not your girl would want to take over your sportster in ten years time would also depend on whether or not she likes classic bikes (some of course consider classic bikes to be old man's bikes but thats also a preference thing).

Anyway, don't wish to argue with you about that coz it's highly personal.

But this whole copy the icon thing is so relative.... I mean, i don't think that HD can lay claim to being the first bike of its kind. There were other classic bikes b4 they came along as well.

Yamaha, Honda, Triumph, Harley makes cruisers, classic bikes for a reason. The look of the genre sells. One can say that the metric bikes are trying to copy Harleys, and in some designs it may be true. But well, theres profit to made in that. Thats the same reason, Harleys hardley change their designs (coz it sells!). But there are a number of new metric bikes that are classic inspired, but aren't copies of harleys. Take the Rocket III, the M109R, Stratoliner, the Roadliner, the Valkerie Rune, the VTX. All very handsome cruisers in their own right.

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 31 2006, 10:22 AM

Frankly, if we put dollars and cents into bike riding, I would just go out and buy a Super 4, or maybe a Pulsar thing, or a cub. Or better still, take public transport.

I would prefer a ride that would put a smile on my face everytime I go home. It is more than a "point A to point B" thing. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a 10 day vacation, some buy $10k plus Leica cameras, some buy $2k fish that does nothing except swim around.

Taking a straight line depreciation, and assume that it has zero value after 10 years, a Sportster is maybe a couple of hundreds a year of depreciation more than a big bore Jap copy, a Dyna is not far behind too. With the limited numbers every year, I'll prefer a Harley anytime if I am buying a cruiser. For that, I get belt drive (I hate chain), potential to customize (nice saddle bags, detachable windshield, all-roads-lead-to-chrome thingy) , enjoy replacements of parts I can fix myself, and enjoy the services of nice sales people.

Of course, the above are from my thinking head weighing pros and cons. The intangibles, like the smile on my face, cannot be measured.

If you are comparing a Harley with a ST1300, VFRs, Fazers, then a Harley is not worth it at all. But are such comparisons apple to apple?

I absolutely agree with you. Ride what u like, and like what u ride.

Whatever your ride maybe. Cheers

:thumb:

Originally posted by rochi@Oct 31 2006, 02:11 AM

A brand new sportster 1200 cost more then 20k while a 10 year old one now cost around 10k. Is that not depreciation of about 1k a year?

I also saw an ad selling a 2004 Fatboy for 24k. So thats about 10k depreciation a year. If this is the case, I could have almost bought a VTX 1300 brand new with the 20k depreciation in 2 years.

Yes we can keep the bike for a long time. Question is, how many will do so. Only a handful keep their bikes for a long time. Unlike wives, we are allowed to change our rides as often as we want. :)

For me, I would not mind getting a second hand Harley. Had a friend who bought a 8 year old Sportster 1200 for 7.5k and its in good condition. But if on can afford a new ride, why not. Nothing beats riding a virgin bike .. if I may say so. It feels good! New paintwork, new leather seats ... just like new cars! You can just smell it!

It's been 1 month and the smell of the leather seat hasn't gone away yet!

servicing definately costs more than a normal Jap cruiser. pri oil, trans gear and all.. labour costs... bla bla bla... BASIC servicing say every 10Kkm would be in the range of $500..

you got to mantain it well.. :)

It's your damn bike, wash it yourself! You rinse your own mouth after you eat, don't you?