SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Harley Riders gather

Guest easyrider

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 31 2006, 10:22 AM

Frankly, if we put dollars and cents into bike riding, I would just go out and buy a Super 4, or maybe a Pulsar thing, or a cub. Or better still, take public transport.

I would prefer a ride that would put a smile on my face everytime I go home. It is more than a "point A to point B" thing. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a 10 day vacation, some buy $10k plus Leica cameras, some buy $2k fish that does nothing except swim around.

Taking a straight line depreciation, and assume that it has zero value after 10 years, a Sportster is maybe a couple of hundreds a year of depreciation more than a big bore Jap copy, a Dyna is not far behind too. With the limited numbers every year, I'll prefer a Harley anytime if I am buying a cruiser. For that, I get belt drive (I hate chain), potential to customize (nice saddle bags, detachable windshield, all-roads-lead-to-chrome thingy) , enjoy replacements of parts I can fix myself, and enjoy the services of nice sales people.

Of course, the above are from my thinking head weighing pros and cons. The intangibles, like the smile on my face, cannot be measured.

If you are comparing a Harley with a ST1300, VFRs, Fazers, then a Harley is not worth it at all. But are such comparisons apple to apple?

......................?:confused:

MY Pass ride 1983 Yamaha 125LC 1991 TZR125.88 yamaha...YZ125.91KX125 1986 Kawa.KDX200 1987 HondaCG125/1980 HondaCB400N/1965 Vespa/1996Ducati Monster.98WR200R

1.87 Toyota EP70 1.0/1.3/1.5(SG)2.90 FC RX7 1.3(Au) 3.90 Celica GT4 2.0T(AU)4.1983 mazda 323 1.0(AU)5.1984 Honda Jazz 1.2(M)(AU)6.78Honda civic(Au)7.85Honda Jazz 1.2(A)(Au)8.1989'"Ford TX3turbo1.6(AU)9.94" SKYLINE R33 (AU)10.83-911RS3.2(AU)11.1992 Toyota soaror GT2.5T(AU)12.1994toyota corrolla 1.6(AU)13.1992suzuki swift 1.0(AU)14.1984Civic3dr 1.2(Macau)15.1988 toyota corrolla 1.6(SG)16.1988 MB380SE 3.8(SG)17.1982 VW Goft MK1 1.6/2.0(SG)18.2003-WRX 2.0(SG)19.1965 Mini(SG)20.1997 subaru vivio(SG)21.1996 Mirca LX(SG)22.1987 MB280SE(SG)

Current ride>22.96MB E200(SG)23.02HONDA MOBILIO(SG)03'Road King (SG)07'W400(SG)91'883XL.Beetle Cabrio

Hi guys,

Im tinking of gettin a 2nd hand sportster. do you guys know where to buy?

any bike shop?? also what is the mantainance like?? what is the diff between the 883 and 1200 other den capacity coz i notice that most ppl riding the XL1200??

what is the price like for a 8-10years sportster?? lastly if renew COE izzit the same as cars which the road tax increases 10% every year??

:cheeky: :cheeky:

**only 1 img allowed in signature***

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2630/32/27/667979715/n667979715_1625216_481751.jpg

Originally posted by shiraz@Nov 2 2006, 12:47 AM

servicing definately costs more than a normal Jap cruiser. pri oil, trans gear and all.. labour costs... bla bla bla... BASIC servicing say every 10Kkm would be in the range of $500..

you got to mantain it well.. :)

Just sharing ...

03bts Rock oil 5w50 cost 16.20ea, total = 48.60

Gear oil 10

Oil filter 26

Brake pads 38 x 3 = 114.00

Labor 20

grand total = 218.60

Assuming 10,000km x 2 = 437.20

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Daryous/My%20Motorcycles/NAFeelingLucky.gif

Originally posted by stantheman@Nov 2 2006, 07:54 PM

Hi guys,

Im tinking of gettin a 2nd hand sportster. do you guys know where to buy? any bike shop?

:cheeky: :cheeky:

Depends on your buying power. Cash ? small amount loan or high loan ?

Buying cash gives you great negotiation power and fast bike collection.

Small amount of loan still good slashing for good deals but need a little knowledge in loan arrangement to prevent coked up and delay your bike collection.

High loan ... you are in mercy from others. Asking discount from bikeshop just to prevent from getting chop less. How fast your bike collection depends on their mood.

also what is the mantainance like?

Refer to previous posting.

what is the diff between the 883 and 1200 other den capacity coz i notice that most ppl riding the XL1200?

Most riding XL1200 that is not true, I would say pretty equal.

Bigger cc gives more torque, HP and faster acceleration. Suspension, rake and trail, CDi, sprockets, spark plugs, camshafts profile and pistons compression are different.

what is the price like for a 8-10years sportster?

All depends on conditions and accessories loaded. Range from 6k-8k max.

I got to know of a few who buy or sell cheaper than that.

lastly if renew COE izzit the same as cars which the road tax increases 10% every year?

COE renewer bikes same as cars, 10% in road tax increment every year till it reaches the peak 150% and sustain throughout.

As for COE prices, please go do some homework at http://www.onemotoring.com.sg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Daryous/My%20Motorcycles/NAFeelingLucky.gif

HI guys, abit newbie here.... but i'm looking to see if any of you have any leather throw-over Saddlebags for sale?? something that would be able to fit my Sportster???

New or used can be considered... Tks!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/ChrisCheong8800/TMAX-3.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/ChrisCheong8800/DSC_3871-1.jpg

'Old ladies in the Midwestern US...now have to pay higher taxes to finance...Wall Street's Maseratis. That's horribly immoral - and bad economics.'

Jim Rogers-19/20/08

Guest fengdrew
Originally posted by n@kan0@Nov 4 2006, 04:28 PM

HI guys, abit newbie here.... but i'm looking to see if any of you have any leather throw-over Saddlebags for sale?? something that would be able to fit my Sportster???

New or used can be considered... Tks!!

Nakano: Do u happen to stay at e Towner area n had a neighbour tats rides a sportser too??

Originally posted by NormalAspirated@Nov 3 2006, 03:16 AM

http://www.smileyarchiv.net/smiley/tot-aerger-waffen0217.gif ... ... :confused:

:cry: :cry:

MY Pass ride 1983 Yamaha 125LC 1991 TZR125.88 yamaha...YZ125.91KX125 1986 Kawa.KDX200 1987 HondaCG125/1980 HondaCB400N/1965 Vespa/1996Ducati Monster.98WR200R

1.87 Toyota EP70 1.0/1.3/1.5(SG)2.90 FC RX7 1.3(Au) 3.90 Celica GT4 2.0T(AU)4.1983 mazda 323 1.0(AU)5.1984 Honda Jazz 1.2(M)(AU)6.78Honda civic(Au)7.85Honda Jazz 1.2(A)(Au)8.1989'"Ford TX3turbo1.6(AU)9.94" SKYLINE R33 (AU)10.83-911RS3.2(AU)11.1992 Toyota soaror GT2.5T(AU)12.1994toyota corrolla 1.6(AU)13.1992suzuki swift 1.0(AU)14.1984Civic3dr 1.2(Macau)15.1988 toyota corrolla 1.6(SG)16.1988 MB380SE 3.8(SG)17.1982 VW Goft MK1 1.6/2.0(SG)18.2003-WRX 2.0(SG)19.1965 Mini(SG)20.1997 subaru vivio(SG)21.1996 Mirca LX(SG)22.1987 MB280SE(SG)

Current ride>22.96MB E200(SG)23.02HONDA MOBILIO(SG)03'Road King (SG)07'W400(SG)91'883XL.Beetle Cabrio

Anybody using this?

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/hotchrome.html

Or is it better to leave the chrome alone?

Oh no! Even before my bike reached Singapore (ETA 22 Nov), I'm thinking of polishing already. Don't know what madness lies ahead for me!

1992: Suzuki GN125

1995: Suzuki Intruder 400

2000: BMW R1100R

2006: Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Low

2008: BMW F800ST

2011: BMW R1200R Classic (still riding)

2015: Harley Davidson Low Rider

Originally posted by cgl@Nov 6 2006, 11:24 AM

Anybody using this?

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/hotchrome.html

Or is it better to leave the chrome alone?

Oh no! Even before my bike reached Singapore (ETA 22 Nov), I'm thinking of polishing already. Don't know what madness lies ahead for me!

Its no madness, I am sure most of us shared the same phenomenon when preparing for the arrival of their new bike. Anyway, I have only tried the below two products. Thumb up in my opinion.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0009JKGJC.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000AR7EYS.01-AK0ZM7RBMAG9B._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63333297_.jpg

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Originally posted by free spirit@Oct 30 2006, 05:50 PM

hi mamat

just don't cried when you want to sell your Jap bike and it don't worth sh--'.

i almost did when they offer me $1,200.00 for the Vulcan Classic which i paid $17,400.00 albeit it's nine yrs old. heh ... heh .... at least this time round i know better.....

harley or nothing for me

cheers :goodluck:

Curiosity had gotten the better of me. Which Vulcan Classic model you had? To the contrary, I have to disagree that a Japanese made bike is sold for a lower value than its age perceived; it is catchier than it looked. Perhaps so with local bike shops rather than individual buyer who won’t mind paying more and yep, it is agreeable that the prestige Harley Davidson branding last longer than it’s looked in term of value on our island. There is no escaping from this phenomenon.

Originally posted by free spirit@Oct 30 2006, 11:27 PM

depreciation in straight lines ?? :confused: short changed !!:weep: i don't know but i know that i'll not buy another Vulcan when i actually wanted to ride 'classic' bikes. ten years down the road ,my little girl still can take over her old man's sportster but not if the bike 's a copy trying to be an icon and classic for that matter.:weep: :giddy:

Sound a little bias from your remark “i don't know but i know that i'll not buy another Vulcan when i actually wanted to ride ‘classic’ bikes.” Maybe a better use of word likes “Japanese cruiser”?

“Classic” perhaps a search for its definition would suggest otherwise work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance and recognized as definitive in its field. It just bottle down to me that you have your eyes on Harley Davidson and no other brands would even fill your space which, I deem ironically, all other brands (e.g. Motoguzzi, Victory, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc) are just copycat in your suggestion. I thought this sound unfair as Harley Davidson was definitely not the first motorcycle manufacturer who started its history in 1903 with its racer bike. A click of link here http://www.paralumun.com/bikers.htm would reveal more of motorcycle history.

To say so, the Vulcan was introduced in the 1980s while the Harley Davidson official cruiser in the 1970s which puzzle me how the short period of differences could set them apart for “Classic” comparison in your opinion? In fact, talking about icon and classic theme of a motorcycle which, still exist in this era would probably landed “Indian” since 1901 a place before Harley Davidson and would likelihood share the same depreciation value like the Vulcan too. In Singapore, we have to understand that the value of motorcycle does not like in its class or brand but, more of a market demand and its service support. Prestige ness would get you no where with the shops but, most likely with individual buyer.

Hope I have not offended you as my post is more of an information sharing purpose.

Cheers.

Originally posted by cgl@Oct 31 2006, 10:22 AM

Frankly, if we put dollars and cents into bike riding, I would just go out and buy a Super 4, or maybe a Pulsar thing, or a cub. Or better still, take public transport.

I would prefer a ride that would put a smile on my face everytime I go home. It is more than a "point A to point B" thing. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a 10 day vacation, some buy $10k plus Leica cameras, some buy $2k fish that does nothing except swim around.

Taking a straight line depreciation, and assume that it has zero value after 10 years, a Sportster is maybe a couple of hundreds a year of depreciation more than a big bore Jap copy, a Dyna is not far behind too. With the limited numbers every year, I'll prefer a Harley anytime if I am buying a cruiser. For that, I get belt drive (I hate chain), potential to customize (nice saddle bags, detachable windshield, all-roads-lead-to-chrome thingy) , enjoy replacements of parts I can fix myself, and enjoy the services of nice sales people.

Of course, the above are from my thinking head weighing pros and cons. The intangibles, like the smile on my face, cannot be measured.

If you are comparing a Harley with a ST1300, VFRs, Fazers, then a Harley is not worth it at all. But are such comparisons apple to apple?

If my memory serves me right, there are shaft driven cruisers as well (I reckon it slip your mind?) Customizing a non-Harley Davidson cruiser is no easy task and more than a chore that can be achieved overnight. Think about browsing the Internet for accessories/parts compare to hanging out at the local Harley Davidson shop. The time wastage waiting for your stuff to arrive and transport to your favorite bike shop to fix your cruiser up is certainly undesirable compare to the readily availability of Harley Davidson accessories and its parts. Most importantly, there is no friendly sale person to serve you with a smile on the online shop.

Back to your smile, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly there. However, if I were to compare a Harley with a metric cruiser, it would seem fair enough for a comparison, but would be more amuse to hear from people to compare with its prestige ness and whole deal of image to the public again. End of the day, such comparison with Harley is always being omitted and no rational could stand firm with a technical explanation behind it thus, I don’t even see a need for comparison none argument or debate is necessary. The affair has already been planted and settled comfortably on our island and so be it.

Cheers

hi nights

the vulcan was a yr 96' model 400c.c. (as i was holding a cl2A license then) and yes i

bought it because it looked like the fatboy. And you were right about the bia part of me . No offence taken. you learn something everyday about yourself ha...ha ...

and some...

to each his own

cheers

Originally posted by William Tan@Nov 7 2006, 05:58 PM

Good one nights.

Effects of good proper marketting huh?

Precisely! Harley Davidson had all along been positive with their market strategy. Think about the below:

- A well endowed store, showroom cum workshop with professional sale persons and adequate technicians who service you with a smile.

- Widely availabilities of quality apparels, accessories, parts plus engine optimization (hint: Big Bore) and support. (Ducati do offer big bore as well but, first or second? I had no idea)

- The only store on island to offer customer free demo ride on their brand new bike.

- The only brand that have a well updated and informative website for Singapore.

- First motorcycle brand to have a boutique at Takashimaya shopping mall to create brand awareness. (Motorworld was second to follow this path)

- Actively involvement in numerous motorcycle related rallies and work closely with some of the local authorities on road safety awareness.

With their long running brand history and roaring hefty price tag, it is no surprise a prestige stir being established on our island.

Do correct me if I missed out any other details.

Cheers!

Just want to let this off my chest...

One more week before my Sportster lands here!!

It's going to be a looooong week. Never been so long without a bike in 14 years. :sian:

1992: Suzuki GN125

1995: Suzuki Intruder 400

2000: BMW R1100R

2006: Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Low

2008: BMW F800ST

2011: BMW R1200R Classic (still riding)

2015: Harley Davidson Low Rider

Originally posted by nights@Nov 7 2006, 03:07 PM

Its no madness, I am sure most of us shared the same phenomenon when preparing for the arrival of their new bike. Anyway, I have only tried the below two products. Thumb up in my opinion.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0009JKGJC.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000AR7EYS.01-AK0ZM7RBMAG9B._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63333297_.jpg

hi, where do you get these 2 products?

Hi guys, I am newbie here, hope I can join in the discussion.

I have gone to HD dealership for a few times & read through a few pages of this thread.

Really have the temptation to sell my Z1000 & get a sportster 1200 :p

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/5ton/57259_471404029449_5144815_o12.jpg

Current ride: Harley Wide Glide, Aprilia Tuono V4R

Duh, juz two questions. Only 2.

1. Why Japanese brands try to follow the HD look for their bikes in this class?

2. Why HD create liquid-cooled V-rod and their new models enjin come with rubber inserts?

FYI - when the japs first market their cruiser models, the americans really ridicule them & those (only a handful of buyers) who ride these cruisers as "Japanese Junks".

Now look at wats the rage among the americans for these type of motocycles?

:makeup:

He hee,

when i buy a Harley spore, i noe i belong to a big group worldwide.

HARLEY WORLDWIDE

when i buy metric cruiser in spore, i m alone....:cry: ....(literally)...BUT

NOT in US or Europe. there i belong to a big group too. Group made up of individual brands of Hondas, yamahas, Kawas, suzukis.

Valkyrie club

Vstars

Honda shadow club

Dutch Shadow club

aus vstar

suzuki club

vulcan club

vulcan club again

worldwide vulcan riders

dragstar club

tis is how u ride

cruisers in a grup