SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

How do u shake off tail-gaters?

ruriimasu

in my opinion, you can't really shake off a tailgater. tailgating is an inconsiderate way of driving. if the driver is already inconsiderate, do you really think he will give a f*** even if u tap u brake light or anythign. yes he might back off for a while when u tap brakes or on hazard light. but i'll bet that he'll come back tailgating again after a while.

Spot on. No wonder i always thought that 9 out of 10 times i tap the brake light or slow down i can't shake them off. NEver thought of it this way that... Since they are inconsiderate, your mild warnings to them of tapping brake light without actually braking doesn't really improve the situation. On the other hand, what i feel is that, do it a few times, tapping without really braking, and if something happens in front, and you really brake, the tailgator may not know you are really braking until its too late. He may think its one of those taps on the brake on the tail light without braking. These days when tailgated, one of my tricks is to hold constant speed or gently close throttle slowing down very very gradually, and let the front open up a little, just about 3 seconds distance, and open my Vtec. The tailgators dissapear as i squeeze away. That, i feel, is the most satisfying way to shake off the tailgator.

The safety point is that, when tailgated until i can only see their headlights, i cannot really tell if another bike is squeezing into my lane, or another car coming into my lane. Hence, open up the distance in front a little, so that i open up and increase the distance behind me, i can now see the sides and my blindspot and judge if its safe to squeeze away. To another biker passing beside the tailgator, if i straight away start lane splitting, i could give him a scare or crash into him.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yoz how udoing? .. HAHA..

ya i also like to outsqueeze them but sometimes tiring to always speed..so i stick to their blindspot andof course anticipate things instead of getting myself in a possible accident or wat. after irritating them.. just go off is better la..well..anyway thats my method. :p

Same sh1t diff day.

So what's your ride now? Seeing as how our R1 days are past. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

wahahah i agree too, but some ppl is just a ******* la i dont think they got the balls to knock u one. Got once at PIE i riding my skipper how fast can that bugger go the most 90 got one ******* keep on horn and flash me as me to siam wat i do is also to on hazard light lor end up he also L L siam away.

skipper got hazzard light meh ?

11 April 2007 - 29 May 2007 Skipper 125

29 May 2007 - 26th July 2008 x9 Amalfi

16 July 2008 - 17 March 2009 RXK 135

7 November 2008 - 31st March 2010 Varadero 125

26 March 2010 - 19 Feb 2011 Transalp 400

8 September 2010 - 22 January 2011 Wave 125

26 February 2011 - 21 January 2012 FZ6S

11 February 2012 - Current FJR 1300

for me, i never bother them seriously. tailgating is obviously an insane behaviour, unless u r hogging the lane lah. Just focus on keeping a safer distance in front...

if i'll be you, i wud slow down at a safe speed let say 50-60kmph, tap ur brake intermittently. dunt intend to speed up coz the car might not stop in time and bang you. but if u kuai lan enuff llike wad i did before to tis ah beng evo driver, i stop in the middle of the road and show him the wad is ur problem gesture. he juz raise his hand and zoom off.

but if ur road hogging, i wud say juz keep to ur left as ur not overtaking coz it irritates the hell out of motorists and drivers who are travelling faster then u. for me i wud juz overtake road hoggers at high speed and shock him. bad habit tho but my patience boils down to the throttle hahahhaa

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g313/funkyvtec/IMG-4077.jpg

Previous Rides: RXK 135, S4 Project Big 1, S4 Vtec1, ST1100 Pan European, Cbr954, K7 600, FJR1300 ABS, SilverWing FJS 400.

Current Rides: FIT 1.3 GF MoonRoof.

dun say liddat lar bro....thats once in a while mah. bout 2 weeks ago, on my way back to work i wana exit woodlands rd wif a fren of mine. he owns a s4 but rode his bro rxz wif a p plate riding at 83kmph on the extreme left lane. out from no where, this ah beng driving a vios wif outlook modification was on the third lane behind a taxi. he signal left but forced my frenz bike to the road shoulder. i still remember his plate no. and outlook of his car and he is residing at bt pjg.

he was like so near to ma fren..lemme see..1 feet away?? tell how wud u react to tis kinda of assydriver?? he has a big chinese wording sticker on his rear boot.

Previous Rides: RXK 135, S4 Project Big 1, S4 Vtec1, ST1100 Pan European, Cbr954, K7 600, FJR1300 ABS, SilverWing FJS 400.

dun say liddat lar bro....thats once in a while mah. bout 2 weeks ago, on my way back to work i wana exit woodlands rd wif a fren of mine. he owns a s4 but rode his bro rxz wif a p plate riding at 83kmph on the extreme left lane. out from no where, this ah beng driving a vios wif outlook modification was on the third lane behind a taxi. he signal left but forced my frenz bike to the road shoulder. i still remember his plate no. and outlook of his car and he is residing at bt pjg.

he was like so near to ma fren..lemme see..1 feet away?? tell how wud u react to tis kinda of assydriver?? he has a big chinese wording sticker on his rear boot.

In this case, I would say LL your friend better give way to ensure his safety. Too bad there is no TP around to see this scene. What I am saying previously is that in fast lane, we got to give way to faster vehicles and not to mess with them...Then we bikers will have better reputation...peace. :)

It is better to keep quiet and remain a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubts...

Dude, in this case your biker friend is obligated to use his horn. Ain't that good already?

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

aisey man bro, how he use horn oso not loud enuff, the single nikko $10 horn. the guy probably has a sound proof car and blasting his woofer. but he is in the extreme left lane liao, the car forced his small defenceless bike. aniwae its natural reaction that u'll get shocked and ur bike will swerve away frm the car not even a slight thought of honking. hahaha balls at the throat liao

to Friday13 : i always give way to faster vehicle and most importantly its my habit not to stay in 1st lane. dats wad my dad taught me on my first p late ride. it really irritates me to the sublime if i c a rider one hand maneuvering at 90kmph talking to the pillion....hahaha 4 me if im at 1st lane, i always keep alook out for mr sam and coming vehicle. i either filter to the left or open throttle! yeah yeah yeah

the worst place to be is between a hogger who doesn't know he is hogging and a tailgator who enjoys tailgating. The fatest way to get out of the situation is to squeeze away, but its definitely not the safest solution. And of course.. the show is the hogger who woke up and tried to lane change while pressured by the hogger, and wa lau.. tonight it was an orgy behind me, a lot of signal lights. The point was, it was behind me... :)

Someone suggested throw coins... Cause stone other biker run over might accident..

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

Sometimes I really feel like doing this. Been in this situation, at lane 1 following behind a car at a reasonable distance at 100KPH. Car from behind come up and horn the car in front with me in middle. Car in front dun want to give way and on wiper wash...Then I tio shampoo and got to siam fast and let the 2 cars fight it out. Hiaz... If I only have stones in my pocket that time to make some impression on the front car's windscreen...o_O

That idea was by a fellow CBR1100XX rider when i was going to eat with them at GP Petronas. And he took out peddles in front of me from his jacket!

good idea!! think i'll go store some stones behind my headlight for emergency..

Stones might not be the best way... Engine oil is...

If you throw stone, later that fellow get a big shock and swerve to the left and kanna a fellow rider how?

We discussed it earlier... Buy Scott Oiler... Aim the valve to the back. When pple tailgate, on and off engine... and PPle got eo on windscreen...

:sian:

shake off tailgaters? buy a bigger, better, faster, meaner motorcycle

that's why i bought haya... lol...

Eh RollinMao, seriously, you tried the stone stunt ah? I heard people doing it. my friend say just simulating throwing stone but actually never throw is enough to cause them to back off. Can crack their windshield or cause a spider web crack on it ma. The onyl reason I dun try this stone stunt is... Some other rider may ride over the stone i threw and then... Kerbum.... I will probably never know, but i dun want to live with that possibility.

The chance of getting serious injuries for a driver is much lower den a rider... He knock u, u fall. U knock him u still fall. So u wan to fall or him? I seriously thinking to get one bottle of singer oil and fill it with used EO. When pple tailgate. Take out Singer Oil. Put on shoulder. Squeeze. Put back. LOL

Road is a place to practise safety.

Track is a place to practise skills.

I always had this fantasy of installing some ultra bright STROBE lights on the tail of my bike. Hook it up to some capacitor that will give it enough juice for a 30 second long Lights Festival.

If I get an irritating tailgater, I simply turn on that super bright strobe and blind the person behind.

Better yet, strobe the bugger while in a corner. You all should know the effect of being strobelit. In clubs, when the strobelights come on, it will seem like everything is in slow motion.

Who knows your victim might just go straight into the barrier when you strobe him in a corner, yeah? ;)

I always had this fantasy of installing some ultra bright STROBE lights on the tail of my bike. Hook it up to some capacitor that will give it enough juice for a 30 second long Lights Festival.

If I get an irritating tailgater, I simply turn on that super bright strobe and blind the person behind.

Better yet, strobe the bugger while in a corner. You all should know the effect of being strobelit. In clubs, when the strobelights come on, it will seem like everything is in slow motion.

Who knows your victim might just go straight into the barrier when you strobe him in a corner, yeah? ;)

Right... Strobe him... And then he doesn't see you in that maze of a sight and hits you off the road... It won't be his fault... really...

I was a lil pissed today... A huge lorry was tailgating me while i was minding my own business along PIE in lane 3 with a reasonable distance behind a van. Traffic was heavy but smooth. The bugger kept inching forward despite me flashing tail light. All this while the van was slowing down as the traffic got heavier and this huge lorry (those long long type) was coming so close i could hear his brakes screeching everytime i flash my tail light. Switched on my hazard lights... That only kept him back to 1 second rule distance for a couple seconds... and he was onto me again... Was afraid if one of those times his screeching brakes fail or he's inattentive.. i would be crushed between him and the van... Geez... Eventually open my Vtech and lane split. It seems travelling leisurely is a crime on Singapore roads... even on the slowest lanes... you just get tailgated by another group of people... Lorry driver eventually was using lane 1 or a 3 lane major road, Jalan Eunos... speeding across a junction. Ba*tard, may your son or daughter get tailgated by someone like you and something happens.

I was a lil pissed today... A huge lorry was tailgating me while i was minding my own business along PIE in lane 3 with a reasonable distance behind a van. Traffic was heavy but smooth. The bugger kept inching forward despite me flashing tail light. All this while the van was slowing down as the traffic got heavier and this huge lorry (those long long type) was coming so close i could hear his brakes screeching everytime i flash my tail light. Switched on my hazard lights... That only kept him back to 1 second rule distance for a couple seconds... and he was onto me again... Was afraid if one of those times his screeching brakes fail or he's inattentive.. i would be crushed between him and the van... Geez... Eventually open my Vtech and lane split. It seems travelling leisurely is a crime on Singapore roads... even on the slowest lanes... you just get tailgated by another group of people... Lorry driver eventually was using lane 1 or a 3 lane major road, Jalan Eunos... speeding across a junction. Ba*tard, may your son or daughter get tailgated by someone like you and something happens.

Honestly speaking....

Flashing taillights and turning on hazard life are passive measures. And these kinda half-hearted methods are NOT gonna work. Period.

You have to take active measures. You either get out his way by changing lanes, or you lane split ahead of the vehicle in front and let him take the tailgate pressure.

Exercising your rights of passage on the roads these days is lost cause. You have NO rights, unless you proactively TAKE your rights.

Little wonder why I'm always 10 to 20 kph faster than traffic lane splitting happily and leisurely. Lane splitting doesn't have to be fast, furious, intense, or dangerous. It just takes common sense. When there's ample space, take it and slip by. When it's tight, just hang back till there's space, or switch lanes and find a space through.

There IS such a thing as relaxed lane splitting. All it takes is regular work and your mind and reflexes will grow accustomed to it, and pretty soon, it's second nature. You'll only devote 20% of your attention to lane splitting riding. The other 80% you can peep into the cars to look out for chio bus....

i can totally understand the situation u r in. i kena many times b4. i like to ride slowly like 65km/hr on lane 3. surely kena tailgate. esp those lorries.

most of the time i just pick up and overtake the front van. so now the van is between me and the lorry. only den, u will see the lorry stop tailgating. sometimes i wonder.. surely some of his family members surely riding bikes.. y cant he just give us some peace.

No more regrets.