SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Archived - 2009] PK Official- Questions for Newbie

zero_degrees

err and when u unscrew the tap how do you ensure petrol wont flow out? stick your finger in there after u remove the tap? cos i opened mine when de tank was empty(only like 20cents of petrol came out)

Basically do what metalfyre had said or you can do what you had suggest.

Well that a good one bro.

:cheeky:

God in his wisdom will protect you

:pray:

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

try adjusting your biting point further out and see if it helps

most mechs told me that, I guess its a common problem? they said sth about the clutch plate :confused:

You gotta empty your tank (into a bottle or something) before unscrewing the switch.

THANKS, so simple and i didnt even thought of that, i still got the petrol container i got from Shell, HENG nv throw away($2.75!, my fren got it at 2bucks. now even shell bullys me)

try adjusting your biting point further out and see if it helps

Metal fyre and Yasman thanks heaps. Really appreciated. Will try find out how for I am not sure what that mean.

I guess (:cheeky: ) is the clutch adjustment to engage earlier than present right???:giddy:

I just love the looks, feel and sound of an old good Guzzi, though it has been around since the time of my Grandfather. I guess "they" don't do things like that anymore! Well it's not true.

"They" still do URALS

Metal fyre and Yasman thanks heaps. Really appreciated. Will try find out how for I am not sure what that mean.

I guess (:cheeky: ) is the clutch adjustment to engage earlier than present right???:giddy:

it basically means adjusting your clutch cable so that you hit your biting point further away (ie u need to release the lever more to hit your biting pt)

Postman Eating Inc*

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/murano04sfs/38y29ty14.gif

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/155006-1/Mascot_scares_girl.gif

Squid defination: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

cos i think phantom ground clearance is abit high cos got the gap below the exhaust.. was thinking either to put something there or lower the phantom..

also wanna be more of low rider.. considering im vertically challenged(although currently i can touch the ground whole-feet).

pardon me if im asking nonsensical qns. :(

you are wat u ride..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/maxvelox/max-3.jpg

cos i think phantom ground clearance is abit high cos got the gap below the exhaust.. was thinking either to put something there or lower the phantom..

also wanna be more of low rider.. considering im vertically challenged(although currently i can touch the ground whole-feet).

Hmm considering the impossibility to legally mod our frames, maybe no. Maybe you can find a smaller set of tyre rims that can fit our Phantom? I really doubt there is any though.

Well anyways, the clearance is good what... Take humps with no inconvenience, somemore can go down from kerb to quickly chao from summons if you park at pavement.

I have the best signature.

it basically means adjusting your clutch cable so that you hit your biting point further away (ie u need to release the lever more to hit your biting pt)

Great!!! :thumb: Point taken. Just wondering (wandering off topic too) does it mean the clutch plate is getting consumed? Some sort of an early warning?:faint:

Thanks in advance

I just love the looks, feel and sound of an old good Guzzi, though it has been around since the time of my Grandfather. I guess "they" don't do things like that anymore! Well it's not true.

"They" still do URALS

belly pan..?

http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/pp/rndops/web/ship/gif/rad70.gif

cn any1 explain e proper techniques of doing emergency brake?

eg. fastest n safe way of slowing down at 80km/h??

do i brake front n rear at e same time, den do a engine brake??? also, how much gear do i hav to down??

expressway is so scary oh....

Did you take your 2B license?

We cant spoonfeed everything... But oh well here goes.

Engine Braking is an automatic must throughout your e-braking process WHILE you apply front and rear brakes. Braking front and rear at the same time is correct - make sure you apply at least 60% of the total force on the front brakes. The rear brakes (by-right) should be applied intermittently to avoid rear wheel locks, hence risk of skidding. Gear down more = more engine braking = more effective e-braking, but try not to down by too much unless it's a real emergency as it may damage the bike. But 80km/h? Whoa... It'll be a lonnnng e-brake runway, or else..

I have the best signature.

do i brake front n rear at e same time, den do a engine brake??? also, how much gear do i hav to down??

e-brake at 80km/h? you've really gotta pray that there's space ahead to cover your stopping distance and seriously don't think there's enough time for u to think about n do so many things :giddy:

80km/hr = 80,000m/3600sec... 22.22m every sec

average human reaction has a lag of about 0.7sec

by the time you see danger and start e-brake, your bike already travel forward about 15m

assume you have excellent technique/brakes and can stop within 15m at 80km/h

you will need a "runway" of at least 30m ahead before you start to fly

suppose you follow 2 cars length (approx 10m) behind a car also at 80km/h and it suddenly jammed brake. cars stopping distance is know to be shorter than bikes, lets say it stopped within 12m... even less if it bang the car in front

runway available ahead = 10m + 12m = 22m

runway required ahead = 15m + 15m = 30m

the outcome is obvious :cry:

amendments in green:

the only way to maybe minimise damage is to do your e-brake and head in the direction of the "gap" and move to the side (in between lanes) at the same time. hopefully u can siam the car without skidding/buang or being knocked down by another oncoming vehicle in the next lane that you've just cut into. if you do what you did during your TP test... you're screwed :faint:

chances of survival becomes higher if you are observant enough to react as soon as something is wrong ahead. do not just look at the car in front, look a few cars ahead and try to anticipate if anything is going to happen ;)

:goodluck:

may all be well and happy

You need to judge ground clearance when banking, i.e. which part of the bike will touch-down first when going through corners.

Hmmm... first you wanna raise tank, now you wanna lower suspensions.... sounds really familiar leh... :p

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

the only way to maybe siam is to do your e-brake and move to the side (in between lanes) at the same time. hopefully u can siam the car without skidding/buang or being knocked down by another oncoming vehicle in the next lane that you've just cut into

This is VERY BAD advise. NEVER NEVER NEVER brake & try to swerve at the same time. I can almost guarantee you will kiss the tarmac. If you E-brake & suddenly realize you can't stop in time, release the brake and try to swerve past the obstacle, provided you have space to do so.... in this situation, its damned if you do & damned if you don't. Pray hard your guardian angel is nearby :pray:

Of course, everything sounds so simple when typing it down in words. Bottom line is, KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE. The 2-second rule is recommended. 3 seconds for bit more margin. Stay alert at all times on the road. DON'T bio the lady biker in the next lane or the B-King in your rear view mirror. Keep your eyes on the road!

The reason why some riders prefer to ride between lanes is that if cars e-brake, lane splitting bikes can continue (generally) & less likely to kiss anyone's butt. But then, lane-splitting itself carries a whole lot of other hazards...

This is what biking is about. Judgment (built from experience) to match your skills and road conditions. Ultimately, the aim is to keep the rubber on the tarmac.

Peace.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

guys, anyone encounter the same prob as me?

here it goes, sometimes i have difficulties dropin from 2nd to 1st gear and it engage to neutral instead of 1st gear. i nid to kick down hard to make it engage to 1st gear. any idea what prob my bike is facing? :)

Same here. Sometimes I thought was at first gear but it was 3rd and I could not kick down. I had to release the clutch and move 2-3inches than be able to kick to gear 1. No idea what's the problem.

welcome to the club. my bike gear has always given me this problem, difficult to kick down gear 1. even from neutral.

I tried adjust biting point by clutch cable screw but didnt helped.

when i move off, most of the time, have to move from gear 2, this has been going on for quite awhile then situation get worse.

That strange noise comes whenever i change gear and difficult to engage gears.

and when u shift down to gear 1, (after playing clutch, rev throttle, shake bike) the gear shifter pedal doesnt spring up to normal position.

So , bring the bike to ah chong (planet) and he showed me gear shaft spoiled.

he took off the gear shifter pedal, used plier to show me the shaft is not stuck when changing gear. so had it fixed for about 100 $

:cry: anyway, i am lucky that clutch plate and gears are still intact, and now gear shifting is smooth as silk.... :)

Guys, is it possible to lower our phantoms?

dude... (extreme) modifying bike is more applicable to extra bikes (which is not primary transport vehicle, unlike us using bike everyday)

u want to lower ur phantom? why not? chop off ur rear shock absorbers.. or find aftermarket shorter ones.. or put steel rods in place of shock absorbers, and make it hard-tail.

but bike would be out of OEM settings, and not good for conoring, exhaust header will touch speed-bumps, and like Yas said, u cant jump over from kerb.

so enjoy ur bike bro, phantom is good for everyday transport..

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/celticbiker/th_twins.jpg

If you E-brake & suddenly realize you can't stop in time, release the brake and try to swerve past the obstacle...

oh dear... i'm not trying to get my neighbour killed on the road here ok :slapforehead:

and i clearly remember didn't say anything close to that... didn't realise my english is so poor :nono:

maybe my description isn't clear enough but i did not suggest a last minute swerve stunt but rather doing e-brake with line of advance in the direction of the "gap" instead of heading right into the car in front. objective is to minimise damage with whatever distance left ahead

one thing i've learned is not to ride right in the middle of lane but ride as if 2 bikes are side by side occupying the lane... my fren describe it as our tyres following the car's tyre. this way, i'm not in car's blind spot, other bikers can pass me easily/safely and higher chance of moving into the "gaps" if desperately required; no need to swerve if paying attention (to also cars ahead), react timely and following distance is not miserably bad

2 sec rule is alway recommended... but having been on the road for >13 years, i've not seen any biker doing that on the expressway. that's why scenario is using a distance of 2 car length, pretty bad but very common.

definitely didn't want to paint a "fairytale" suggesting that biker can e-brake n stop in time at 80km/h, even when following normal riding habits

... in this situation, its damned if you do & damned if you don't. Pray hard your guardian angel is nearby :pray:

i disagree with this statement... there're still things we can do to minimise damage, when damage is inevitable. that's why we learn and practice defensive riding. kissing tarmac with lot of bruises or a full impact slamming into the rear of car... every rider has their own choice

at the end of everything, its not what pp say but rather what you do that matters

over the many years of riding, i've been lucky enough (also due to my kiasi attitude) that e-brake is done only at BBDC. hope and will try to keep it that way. i wouldn't be too confident that my brains won't "hang" on me just going "oh sh1t! oh sh1t!" and forgetting to do everything i'm supposed to do. prevention is better than cure; no need to e-brake is best

may the force be with you... and the angels too :goodluck:

may all be well and happy

maybe my description isn't clear enough but i did not suggest a last minute swerve stunt but rather doing e-brake with line of advance in the direction of the "gap" instead of heading right into the car in front. objective is to minimise damage with whatever distance left ahead

We all learn from each other & share our experiences.

I am keen to know, how do you "e-brake with line of advance in direction of gap". Do you mean you can change direction while e-braking?

BlackDawn aka kiamh

You need to judge ground clearance when banking, i.e. which part of the bike will touch-down first when going through corners.

Hmmm... first you wanna raise tank, now you wanna lower suspensions.... sounds really familiar leh... :p

its a dream mod.. :)

you are wat u ride..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/maxvelox/max-3.jpg

dampen your suspensions? never found low rides good.unless for straight road travelling..not for me,not in singapore.

This is VERY BAD advise. NEVER NEVER NEVER brake & try to swerve at the same time. I can almost guarantee you will kiss the tarmac. If you E-brake & suddenly realize you can't stop in time, release the brake and try to swerve past the obstacle, provided you have space to do so.... in this situation, its damned if you do & damned if you don't. Pray hard your guardian angel is nearby :pray:

Of course, everything sounds so simple when typing it down in words. Bottom line is, KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE. The 2-second rule is recommended. 3 seconds for bit more margin. Stay alert at all times on the road. DON'T bio the lady biker in the next lane or the B-King in your rear view mirror. Keep your eyes on the road!

The reason why some riders prefer to ride between lanes is that if cars e-brake, lane splitting bikes can continue (generally) & less likely to kiss anyone's butt. But then, lane-splitting itself carries a whole lot of other hazards...

This is what biking is about. Judgment (built from experience) to match your skills and road conditions. Ultimately, the aim is to keep the rubber on the tarmac.

Peace.

dude take it easy, I think he meant what you're saying ;)

Guest @h_püi™

Question:

Anyway encounter "hard to start the bike" for cold start? not only in the morning but sometime when park like for 4 hour also hard to start?

cos i got this encounter, hard to start need to press the start engine button about 7 - 8 times then start. send in today for a check, carb tuned but just now after parking for 4 hour go down check still the same.. unable to start for the first 5 - 6 attempt. but after that is ok..

need to wash carb is it?

cos when i send in that time my bike already so called warm up so when i reach the motortiam and the mech tried to start is so easy.. by the way there suff petrol in the tank..

Guest @h_püi™
@h_pui, does it crank when u push start button ?

ya .. it crank.. start but die shortly...

it like dun have fuel in it..

the process is like.. you start, engine crank and started then die shortly like the fuel cannot get in..

but if wanna to start successfully.. have to throttle while starting.. anyway the idelling knot is already at the right position.. not too low either.. as compare to other phantom bike i think my idel knot is already high enough

my advice is change to KSR100...tell u the truth, if u were to lower ur bike any farther, quite a few things i can predict dat it'll happen, u'll smash ur pipe bottom against the top of the hump when ur front wheel clears the hump.

if ur pipe hits the hump and ur front wheel nv contact the floor ur gonna 'pengsan'

u can forgot bout going to quite a few places, esp malaysia

and when all the above happens u'll start asking how to raise the ground clearance of ur bike...hehehe

brake progressively, diff situation diff technique, so its best left to ur own judgment....hmmm may i suggest u go to a library near u, and look for a book called street riding...i saw it at WRL but other places have anot im not too sure...

anyway when ur ebraking, do not down gear too much unless u know its limit, if not u'll have a wheel lock situation on hand and ur gonna be overwhelm...

ya .. it crank.. start but die shortly...

it like dun have fuel in it..

the process is like.. you start, engine crank and started then die shortly like the fuel cannot get in..

but if wanna to start successfully.. have to throttle while starting.. anyway the idelling knot is already at the right position.. not too low either.. as compare to other phantom bike i think my idel knot is already high enough

u can ask motortiam to tune ur carb idle jet to slightly lean, but den again everytime u slow down u'll have lotsa minor backfiring, the pop pop sound...due to stoicmetric diff if im not wrong...hmmm

Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther.

J. P. Morgan