SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Archived - 2009] PK Official- Questions for Newbie

zero_degrees

hi can i ask all exp riders here whether my calculations for the annual cost of running a phantom are correct. below is my premise for the math:

1) i'll be using it for commuting b/w nus and thomson daily. to and fro distance of 23km i counted using google maps distance calculator. 22 sch days a mth will make 506km. plus gng out on the wkends i'll put the estimate for my mileage each mth to be 560km. thus monthly fuel costs with 35km/l will be $31.80 assuming petrol costs $2.20/l. one year about $420.

2) maintenance involving changing the engine oil, spark plug and air filter will make about $300. (i know this figure can vary quite a lot but will take 300 as a conservative estimate)

3) insurance will be about $500 a yr (based on me being 20 yr old and p plate if i pass my TP this june)

4) road tax of $80 a year

which will make a total of 420+300+500+80 = 1300.

i can't tink of any other costs to factor in for my calculations. so would like to ask exp riders here if i've missed anything out in this estimate. thanks!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi can i ask all exp riders here whether my calculations for the annual cost of running a phantom are correct. below is my premise for the math:

1) i'll be using it for commuting b/w nus and thomson daily. to and fro distance of 23km i counted using google maps distance calculator. 22 sch days a mth will make 506km. plus gng out on the wkends i'll put the estimate for my mileage each mth to be 560km. thus monthly fuel costs with 35km/l will be $31.80 assuming petrol costs $2.20/l. one year about $420.

2) maintenance involving changing the engine oil, spark plug and air filter will make about $300. (i know this figure can vary quite a lot but will take 300 as a conservative estimate)

3) insurance will be about $500 a yr (based on me being 20 yr old and p plate if i pass my TP this june)

i can't tink of any other costs to factor in for my calculations. so would like to ask exp riders here if i've missed anything out in this estimate. thanks!

wah.. so detail... check out my running cost post here.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3914495&postcount=8

which doesnt include wear and tear items... like chain, bearings and tyres.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/celticbiker/th_twins.jpg

unable to post picture..

for those interested..the article is imported from the site of a piston manufacturer..the URL..http://www.kb-silvolite.com/feature.php?action=read&F_id=42.

happy reading

Let me do the honour ;)

http://kb-silvolite.com/images/feature/pistonfailureDome001.jpg

welcome,

jB

ya..thank you...for damning me and agreeing with me...

good luck to your exam....i believe you are a smart chap and will do well in it..

but please dont do the above...it only make others piss off...unless that is your intention, u have done a marvellous job of pissing me..

lol why take it so personally dude :confused: just laugh it off man :thumb:

nobody would be bothered to be bothered to piss another in this forum I tell ya. :lol: thats totally nonsensical a person:cool:

for weekends + misc mileage, i suggest put 50% of ur daily commute mileage... the small small little trips REALLY adds up... go here a bit, 5km... go there a bit, 10km...

with the "new" mileage calculations, u need about 6 EO change, 2 spark plug change, 1 air filter change - total about $100-$150 (exact figure depends on wad EO u use)

season parking (MCSP, by GIRO) = $16.66/mth, parking coupon 1 book 10 pcs - $6.50

also, it'll be good to set aside an OPTIONAL sum of $100 (rougly) per month... it's like "insurance" for urself... for any major repairs or replacement of wear n tear items... or for the suey times need to contribute to TP retirement fund (speeding, illegal parking, etc)... can refer to

typical prices for phantom repairs n mods. the $100/mth will make it less painful when u need to fork out the moolah... :D

finally, these are all just ROUGH FIGURES... ur riding pattern and the choice of parts will make a lot of difference... ah boy once tell me, u wan battery? got... from $20 to $200 also got...

Only 44km a month extra running around . You planning to use the bus a lot..you will click 1000k at least a month. :p . You cant plan what your going to spend because any vehicle will suck your wallet dry when you least expect it :)

The only thing i can think abt is if you are the main person in yr pic... LOL. If you are, we definitely need more phantom riders like you.

For me...

Petrol (Worse case: 6x per month: RM18 x 6): SGD560 per year

Season Parking: ~SGD220 per year

ERP: ~SGD180

Servicings (EO, Spark, Air Filter): ~SGD150

Wear and Tear: ~SGD500

Insurance: ~SGD450

Road Tax: ~SGD80

Total: ~SGD2140 per year (Its like buying a 2nd-hand phantom every year)

Compared to public transport:

~SGD100 per month = ~SGD 1200 per year.

Malaysian petrol really makes the diff heh :thumb:

BTW, your estimation of 506km per month is really too conservative. With a bike, the doors are opened to more possibilities and you will definitely be travelling to more places. Going places at times that you have not tried b4...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4974036153_c36bbcded6.jpg

Life isn't all about one's self...

For me...

Petrol (Worse case: 6x per month: RM18 x 6): SGD560 per year

Season Parking: ~SGD220 per year

ERP: ~SGD180

Servicings: ~SGD150

Insurance: ~SGD450

Road Tax: ~SGD80

Just one curious comment. $150/year for servicing/maintenance sounds too low. One tyre change or chain replacement & you are shot. Unless you are counting that separately.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

yea Counting seperately. That one only for EO, Spark plug and air filter.. Editing to include your point heh.

Just one curious comment. $150/year for servicing/maintenance sounds too low. One tyre change or chain replacement & you are shot. Unless you are counting that separately.

to be honest $500 per year is the right amount to set it at

The pain of discipline is nothing like the pain of disappointment
:thumb:

Hi Bro & Sis,i'm a newbie who wanna know what if the side stand for phantom is broke in the mid-night,is there shop still open that late?if i can't find any shop den what can i do?just curious nia.

http://cosmeticseye.weebly.com/uploads/5/6/7/3/5673915/4026118.jpg?390

Selling cheap contact lens @ $16...

www.cosmeticseye.weebly.com

[email protected]

Hi Bro & Sis,i'm a newbie who wanna know what if the side stand for phantom is broke in the mid-night,is there shop still open that late?if i can't find any shop den what can i do?just curious nia.

I've previously came across a thread that says this place called "Temple of Speed" specializing in kups is open thruout the night. I'm not certain if it's still around. You might wanna do a search for their no. n give them a call.

Hey noa_higs,

Your cost estimation is detailed. You should expect to spend more than $1.3k per yr on expenses for a TA200. I did some calculations of my own:

My Mthly Expenses:

Engine Oil - $16

Full Servicing+Air filter change+Spark plug - $17 [done every 3 mths at ($25+$20+$5)/3 = $17/mth]

Petrol - Shell95. I travel daily from simei to smu.. should be approx ur dist to nus. $17/wk. $17x4wks = approx $70 per mth.

Parking - Assume $5. gonna be more if u park legally in town/cbd areas.

Road Tax+Inspection - $37 every 6 mths + 18.19 inspection per yr = approx $8 per mth.

Insurance for P-Plate ur age/ bike should approx $500 per yr = approx $42 per mth

Per Mth Tally = 16 + 17 + 70 + 5 + 8 + 42 = $158 per mth

Per Yr Tally = $158 x 12 = 1896 (compared to mrt student concession of $40 x 12 mths = $480 per yr)

Lol.. depressing.. I have yet to include one off wear & tear maintenance, such as chain, sprocket, fork seal, brake pad, punctured tyres, clutch cable, choke cable... the list goes on! Plus we need to factor in rising oil prices.. crude oil is now hovering near USD120 per barrel. A wk's petrol a year ago used to be approx $15. Now it's $17. AND ERP!! =s

But it's worth every cent to feel the breeze in ur face. Just go slow n be safe! body parts no spare! =x

Hey thanks for the input everyone. i have a much clearer picture now.

i was asking mainly cos my mom wants to buy me a car for my coming 21st. (i tink a good half also because she doesnt want me to get a bike heh) for the car, she's paying all the fixed costs (car, insurance, tax, servicing) and leaving the variables (can only think of fuel and parking) to me. for the bike, it'll be all me.

obviously there are more things to think about other than money but i'm trying to figure out if it makes more financial sense to own a car or bike in my case. or whether i might even possibly be able to keep both.

hmm will have to think hard about this. thx a lot guys! ooh and anw the dp isnt me la. my girl/future wife:)

i would consider the following

1) $65 a month, $780 a year (includes parking)

2) $600 a year, includes 1 x tyre/sprocket change budget

3) $500 (use your value)

4) $80 (road tax)

5) $200 (misc costs, includes emergency funds like bike tow when breakdown)

comes to about $2.2k a year. but a lot of spare if you notice, makes me feel happier when i got leftover, but of cos, it's always wise to store a part for emergency (especially if you buy 2nd hand bikes, not saying first hand sure no problem, but at least covered under warranty)

My Rides:

LuLu, Piaggio Gilera Runner FXR 180 (Feb05-Aug05)

PhanPhan, Honda Phantom TA 200 (Aug05-July07)

Leyley, HD Sportster XL1200R (Jul07-July09)

TiTi, Yamaha Majesty YP250 (Jul07-Oct09)

DyNaNa, HD FXDX Dyna SGS (Jul09-Dec10)

LanPaPa, Vespa Excel PX150XE (Oct09-Jul10)

PiaSekSek, Piaggio X8 (Aug10-Dec10)

Stixie, Honda ST1300A (Jan11-Nov15)

Giogio, Piaggio MP3 400IE (Nov15-??)

i was asking mainly cos my mom wants to buy me a car for my coming 21st. (i tink a good half also because she doesnt want me to get a bike heh) for the car, she's paying all the fixed costs (car, insurance, tax, servicing) and leaving the variables (can only think of fuel and parking) to me. for the bike, it'll be all me.

obviously there are more things to think about other than money but i'm trying to figure out if it makes more financial sense to own a car or bike in my case. or whether i might even possibly be able to keep both.

hmm will have to think hard about this. thx a lot guys! ooh and anw the dp isnt me la. my girl/future wife:)

although i feel that there is NO financial sense to own a car or a bike, car fuel per month about 4 months bike fuel, haven't calculate the rest yet.

i got a car too, but i went for weekend instead cos i dun need to drive to work, driving to work is a nightmare (irony, when it's the early morning), and parking is super expensive in town, plus i prefer to ride (unless it's raining, when i prefer to sleep in).

In the end, if you have a car with a normal plate, it will seem to be a waste when it's parked in the carpark in the day.

Of cos there's the POWER to choose la, at the end of the day.

In the end, financial sense is but one of the many factors. Dun look too closely at it but do consider the others.

My Rides:

LuLu, Piaggio Gilera Runner FXR 180 (Feb05-Aug05)

PhanPhan, Honda Phantom TA 200 (Aug05-July07)

Leyley, HD Sportster XL1200R (Jul07-July09)

TiTi, Yamaha Majesty YP250 (Jul07-Oct09)

DyNaNa, HD FXDX Dyna SGS (Jul09-Dec10)

LanPaPa, Vespa Excel PX150XE (Oct09-Jul10)

PiaSekSek, Piaggio X8 (Aug10-Dec10)

Stixie, Honda ST1300A (Jan11-Nov15)

Giogio, Piaggio MP3 400IE (Nov15-??)

Hey bro lol. In that case you will have to really determine your purpose for owning a private transport.

For me its because i really can't stand public transport and to facilitate my going to sch and work (Of course the former is the greater factor). So since budget also really tight i decided to take 2b and get bike.

Since your mom likely to getting you and paying for most of the fixed cost of a car, if you can spare abt 500-600 a mth and dun mind being in jams, you will likely maintain it. Also for the safety of yr lao puo (her parents may not like her riding pillion).

If you are thinking about saving $$ for your family den go for bike cause at the end of the day, a bike is always definitely much cheaper and makes more financial sense as a private transport in SG. Its only the safety and comfort aspect that is debatable. That is for both you and yr gf. Remember to talk to her parents abt it if you are getting a bike...

If i were in your shoes, I will go for the car... :cheeky: If only me and my gf had the luxury :cry:

Hey bro lol. In that case you will have to really determine your purpose for owning a private transport.

For me its because i really can't stand public transport and to facilitate my going to sch and work (Of course the former is the greater factor). So since budget also really tight i decided to take 2b and get bike.

Since your mom likely to getting you and paying for most of the fixed cost of a car, if you can spare abt 500-600 a mth and dun mind being in jams, you will likely maintain it. Also for the safety of yr lao puo (her parents may not like her riding pillion).

If you are thinking about saving $$ for your family den go for bike cause at the end of the day, a bike is always definitely much cheaper and makes more financial sense as a private transport in SG. Its only the safety and comfort aspect that is debatable. That is for both you and yr gf. Remember to talk to her parents abt it if you are getting a bike...

If i were in your shoes, I will go for the car... :cheeky: If only me and my gf had the luxury :cry:

Ride bike.. when rain very miserable one. Plus bikers' head prone to sweaty smell. My gf always say head smelly.. pengzz.. Now I try to wash my helemt inner lining once a fortnight, raincoats once a mth and put air fresherner in bike box. Having seen 2 terrible bike accidents, including seeing a pillion lying dead on the floor, I would strongly discourage my frens from riding. But who am I to say =x

Car definitely beats bike. My parents also wanted to get me a car, but I rather buy my own car. Nothing beats the feeling of having worked for something well deserved. Just my point of view.

yea... thinking of accidents still makes my balls shrink... haizz think abt my few near misses i also a bit scared..

I know this is a repeated question..searching for an answer within the numerous pages of "questions for newbie" is a hell lot of work.

Guys, my bike is Ta200 and I wanna know when do you guys change the EO? and usually how many km then change EO?

Thanks..

Engineer: "The Glass is neither half full or half empty..It is twice bigger then it needs to be".

Class 3 - Feb 08

Class 2B - Mar 08

Virgin Accident - 19th Apr 08 - Bike skidded along slip road from NUS towards AYE