SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists/

Keynes

Is there discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists in SG  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Is there discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists in SG

I have submitted this to HDB...

Good for you! I also keep the numbers of HDB carparks enforcement, URA carparks (and their enforcement agent Premas), and TP enforcement handy at all times.

Much better to be active than to complain and do nothing.

He who hesitates is lost!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another(Another) place is SEntosa...how come cars can go in we cannot? we pay also lar....dun disciminate us lar...we juz wanna ride in....y must us park at vivo and take the mrt or bus in again?wah lau wake up idea leh..if u want more business....:sian:

There is a thread on Sentosa and bikes already. I'd say keep bikes out of Sentosa - I have no desire to see it overrun by bikes including mine.

Is there a need to feel inferior and blame everything that doesn't go in your favour on discrimination? "Oh look, I can't get my way with this, it must be discrimination."

What a pathetic mindset. The eternal truth is that no one can eliminate discrimination from the world. But the corresponding truth is also that much of the time, the first response of some is to say that "Oh, those other guys can do it but not me, it must be because I'm [fill in the relevant discriminant] and this guy is practising discrimination."

Really, there is no need to look down on yourself like that. Most people aren't out to get you, and there's no need to make up and excuse to think that they are.

I agree with Pplater's comments:

I honestly believe the notion that bikers are discriminated against is overhyped at times. It could be due to defensive perception at times. I do believe if you ride in a safe and responsible manner, switching lanes in a considerate manner with soft lane changes, that kindness often influences those around you and they reciprocate. U sense the mood of the drivers around you.

My point is that bad road behaviour transcends class, gender and experience. Everyone has their grievances. We are often caught up into our myopic perspectives.

wat i tink is tat .. sg pple always tend to haf tis mindset, my vehicle is bigger than urs, so u shud siam when u see mi .. but wat i tink is tat .. they shud avoid "us"(riders) coz if suay suay we hit onto them/they hit onto us n we die, no matter of who is in the fault, who will be guilty ?? obviously them ..

n i encounter tis b4, vehicles(class3 n above) juz lyk to anyhow horn at rider .. nth wrong wif it .. but if lets say the rider kena shock n got into accident, JUZ becoz of anyhow horning, i wonder how they wud feel ?? fun ??

so wat i do now is, anytink tat happens on the road, as long as i tink tat wil endanger mi, ill juz horn .. even sumtimes i wanna do a turning .. juz to alert drivers/riders .. plus sg'reans simply loves to horn

know why have to squeeze between lanes at 100km/h on expressways??

cos those idiotic car drivers think tat once they reach 90km/h they can think tat the right lanes is their grandfather built one liao...these ppl are known as ROAD HOGS n they need to be re-educated.

Well Said ! Lots of drivers are like that...Road hogging !

:angry:

I have submitted this to HDB...

lolx...Well Done ! Parking Idiots !

July 2006-21st Aug 2007 :Honda NSR SP (FS1029R)

21st Aug 2007-28th Oct 2009 :Honda CB400 Spec III (FY8*8*M)

5th Sept 09-20th Nov 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa K6 FBA 9**6 J

30 Jan 13-Hyundai Getz 1.6 SFV*1*1K

20th Nov 13-Honda CBR600RR 2008 FBE4*4*S

2015-2015:Mitsubishi Lancer GLX

28th Oct 2015-Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLS

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff216/Stardust_83/IMG_60122.jpg

This is a loser mindset of Singaporeans. Those who need a bigger car to belittle a motorcycle rider has little achievement at the end of his life.

This culture will not be the same in Europe whereby motorcyclists are seen as rich people.

While on the German Autobahn, a fast motorcycle whizzing past you on the next lane will not be branded as a 'motorcyclist' but the nationality reflected on your EU Nr plate.

"Bloody Britons" My German friend remarked when a group of British bikers rode quickly past my car. But he was not affected when a group of riders bearing the 'D' letter on the plate rode past in the same manner.

It will take many many years for the public in Singapore who do not ride to accept that motorcycles also deserve a fair space on the road. And it is no use lamenting now. Rather, get yourself up the corporate ladder, own a more expensive continental car and buy a fast bike. You ride because you love the excitement and not because you do not have a choice. And I know some riders here are already doing that. When more and more riders are like that, the image will start to evolve.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

There is a thread on Sentosa and bikes already. I'd say keep bikes out of Sentosa - I have no desire to see it overrun by bikes including mine.

come on...dun let them discriminate bikers lar...

This is a loser mindset of Singaporeans. Those who need a bigger car to belittle a motorcycle rider has little achievement at the end of his life.

This culture will not be the same in Europe whereby motorcyclists are seen as rich people.

While on the German Autobahn, a fast motorcycle whizzing past you on the next lane will not be branded as a 'motorcyclist' but the nationality reflected on your EU Nr plate.

"Bloody Britons" My German friend remarked when a group of British bikers rode quickly past my car. But he was not affected when a group of riders bearing the 'D' letter on the plate rode past in the same manner.

It will take many many years for the public in Singapore who do not ride to accept that motorcycles also deserve a fair space on the road. And it is no use lamenting now. Rather, get yourself up the corporate ladder, own a more expensive continental car and buy a fast bike. You ride because you love the excitement and not because you do not have a choice. And I know some riders here are already doing that. When more and more riders are like that, the image will start to evolve.

well .. i ride becoz i lyk it .. im on my way to a class 3 license too .. BUT .. owning a bike in sg is more than enuff .. look at the traffic jams .. PLUS .. the rising of petrol .. i agree tat some riders are **** up .. but doesnt mean tat all riders r lyk tat .. wat i ultimately wanna say is plz dun belittle riders .. our lifes r equally impt as compared to pple who owned "concealed" vehicle ..

pple often complains taxi drivers driving recklessly .. but WAT if u r the one sitting in the taxi ?? u wud say " uncle ah .. can drive faster ?? i rushing for time" .. changing the point of view .. pple complains tat riders r oways dangerous pple .. BUT wat if u r the rider .. will u feel happi ?? so cant all of us juz gif in a little bit .. everytink will be solved ..

for mi, i hate drivers .. y ?? they love to bully L-plates .. regardless of class3/class2b .. almost engage in accident during my class2b on road lesson .. they juz anyhow cut into my lane .. no signal, or anytink .. end up my instructor gotta help mi horn him .. coz i was shocked by tat ..

well .. i ride becoz i lyk it .. im on my way to a class 3 license too .. BUT .. owning a bike in sg is more than enuff .. look at the traffic jams .. PLUS .. the rising of petrol .. i agree tat some riders are **** up .. but doesnt mean tat all riders r lyk tat .. wat i ultimately wanna say is plz dun belittle riders .. our lifes r equally impt as compared to pple who owned "concealed" vehicle ..

pple often complains taxi drivers driving recklessly .. but WAT if u r the one sitting in the taxi ?? u wud say " uncle ah .. can drive faster ?? i rushing for time" .. changing the point of view .. pple complains tat riders r oways dangerous pple .. BUT wat if u r the rider .. will u feel happi ?? so cant all of us juz gif in a little bit .. everytink will be solved ..

for mi, i hate drivers .. y ?? they love to bully L-plates .. regardless of class3/class2b .. almost engage in accident during my class2b on road lesson .. they juz anyhow cut into my lane .. no signal, or anytink .. end up my instructor gotta help mi horn him .. coz i was shocked by tat ..

Hi thanks for your feedback. But you don't seem to catch my point. I am merely raising the brutal facts that bikers are discriminated compared to car owners. You have raised the point of rising cost of petrol that deterred riders from owning cars too. This exactly is the point that the general public look down upon riders. We ride because we cannot afford.

To the general public, bikers are inferior because they think that riders ride because we have no choice. As they think we cannot afford to buy cars to pay for the more expensive petrol. Which is not entirely true. Some may just don't like to drive or just don't feel like buying a car.

However as the vast majority are treating bikers as a 2nd class mode of transport even though unknowingly, the image has been tarnished. But if the rider's image becomes a 'leisure transport for the race track/highway', 'rich man's sport', how do you think the majority will look at you? this is the way the Europeans look at riders.

When my colleague was studying in Leeds, he came across someone reading up motorcycle magazines. Then, apparently a friend of this reader came up and remarked about the reader's wealth as he was intending to buy a motorcycle.

For instance, an expat caucasian riding on a Ducati 1098 gets knocked down at the junction by a reckless Vios driver. The driver upon getting off the car will be more cautious as he's dealing with a rich expat who had extra money to spend on a weekend motorcycle. He would've reacted differently compared to a young NS recruit riding a SP150.

Things must be viewed pro-actively. Make yourself immune to the discrimination so as to ride with a choice. I know there're also quite a number of bike owners here belong to the category of capable of making choices, they will likely share my thoughts.

Take care too.

Do Not Tailgate Me!

Hi thanks for your feedback. But you don't seem to catch my point. I am merely raising the brutal facts that bikers are discriminated compared to car owners. You have raised the point of rising cost of petrol that deterred riders from owning cars too. This exactly is the point that the general public look down upon riders. We ride because we cannot afford.

To the general public, bikers are inferior because they think that riders ride because we have no choice. As they think we cannot afford to buy cars to pay for the more expensive petrol. Which is not entirely true. Some may just don't like to drive or just don't feel like buying a car.

However as the vast majority are treating bikers as a 2nd class mode of transport even though unknowingly, the image has been tarnished. But if the rider's image becomes a 'leisure transport for the race track/highway', 'rich man's sport', how do you think the majority will look at you? this is the way the Europeans look at riders.

When my colleague was studying in Leeds, he came across someone reading up motorcycle magazines. Then, apparently a friend of this reader came up and remarked about the reader's wealth as he was intending to buy a motorcycle.

For instance, an expat caucasian riding on a Ducati 1098 gets knocked down at the junction by a reckless Vios driver. The driver upon getting off the car will be more cautious as he's dealing with a rich expat who had extra money to spend on a weekend motorcycle. He would've reacted differently compared to a young NS recruit riding a SP150.

Things must be viewed pro-actively. Make yourself immune to the discrimination so as to ride with a choice. I know there're also quite a number of bike owners here belong to the category of capable of making choices, they will likely share my thoughts.

Take care too.

well .. i wudnt realli abt wat they say abt us .. in terms of, " they cant own a car .. tats y they rides ".. but i juz dun lyk some pple's way of driving .. which endanger rider .. ^^ takecare too

after i went to Taiwan,i realise how screw up we guys can be so inconsiderate etc. If they dont drive fast the always goes to the most right lane (our left lane)

But we tent to have tons of road hogger.Lets hope one day when they need to rush to where ever they got stuck my road hogger.

drivers tend to think tat they inside a car more superior than bike cos they are 'protected' inside so they can anyhow driven anyhow cut lanes n tends to tailgate riders so tat riders will give drivers the way of right, they tend to do illegal u-turns etc without considerations to other motorist.

this is my opinon lah, dun flame me for tat.

with increasing fuel, jams n ERP, wats better than riding a bike:cheers:

dun tell me walk or ride bicycle lah :p

Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

drivers tend to think tat they inside a car more superior than bike cos they are 'protected' inside so they can anyhow driven anyhow cut lanes n tends to tailgate riders so tat riders will give drivers the way of right, they tend to do illegal u-turns etc without considerations to other motorist.

this is my opinon lah, dun flame me for tat.

with increasing fuel, jams n ERP, wats better than riding a bike:cheers:

dun tell me walk or ride bicycle lah :p

precisely .. not all riders cant own a "concealed vehicle" .. taking students as example, do u tink they cud realli own a car wif their own $$ ?? i dun realli tink so .. i dun mean cannot, but juz a little bit hard .. so lets go the budget way .. get a bike .. more than enuff ..

• 3 months later...
precisely .. not all riders cant own a "concealed vehicle" .. taking students as example, do u tink they cud realli own a car wif their own $$ ?? i dun realli tink so .. i dun mean cannot, but juz a little bit hard .. so lets go the budget way .. get a bike .. more than enuff ..

then do u think its right for students to own a bike??

they are STUDENTS they should be concentrating on studies.

their $$ are for food n stationaries not to pay off bike installments.

bike can come into the picture once they are working adults whose income can afford a bike.

but if their parents are rich can buy them a personal transport then LL lor.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

bike can come into the picture once they are working adults whose income can afford a bike.

There is no right or wrong for that....

if the student is financially sound. i don't see the reason why they should not own one if they find the need to. if u are financially unstable and struggles to own and maintain which, ultimately leads to affected studies then you should not own a bike.

The installment is temporary. once installment is cleared they are not very hard or expensive to maintain. (public transport aren't very cheap now adays with ever rising fares that narrows the gap between owning a bike and taking buses or MRT everyday)

i don't mean owning expensive or high maintenence bikes of course. a humble commuter bike will bring benefits, lots of them.

they become a tool for earning money when it comes to holidays.

Anyway, i juz dislike taking buses... MRT is fine.

By saying spending money on food and stationaries, it seems that your concept of students are in the primary and secondary school stage..... in order to ride a bike in singapore, u must be at least above 18... that's at least during tertiary or JC eduction.... I dun see why students can't own a bike during that stage... I bought my 1st bike during tat stage as well... I did not take any money from my parents... I stopped taking allowances since last year of secondary school... I worked part time to get my money and earn what I want to spend on..... What's wrong with that?? Riding a bike and working part time doesn't mean i can't concentrate on my studies.... Even for working adults, it doesn't mean being financially sound..... u have more financial liabilities with more bills to pay.......

"去哪兒???" ("Go where???")

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/aceboles/Girls%20and%20Bikes/pic31.jpg

Straight roads differentiate the rich and the poor

Corners differentiate the boys and the men

There is no right or wrong for that....

if the student is financially sound. i don't see the reason why they should not own one if they find the need to. if u are financially unstable and struggles to own and maintain which, ultimately leads to affected studies then you should not own a bike.

The installment is temporary. once installment is cleared they are not very hard or expensive to maintain. (public transport aren't very cheap now adays with ever rising fares that narrows the gap between owning a bike and taking buses or MRT everyday)

i don't mean owning expensive or high maintenence bikes of course. a humble commuter bike will bring benefits, lots of them.

they become a tool for earning money when it comes to holidays.

Anyway, i juz dislike taking buses... MRT is fine.

By saying spending money on food and stationaries, it seems that your concept of students are in the primary and secondary school stage..... in order to ride a bike in singapore, u must be at least above 18... that's at least during tertiary or JC eduction.... I dun see why students can't own a bike during that stage... I bought my 1st bike during tat stage as well... I did not take any money from my parents... I stopped taking allowances since last year of secondary school... I worked part time to get my money and earn what I want to spend on..... What's wrong with that?? Riding a bike and working part time doesn't mean i can't concentrate on my studies.... Even for working adults, it doesn't mean being financially sound..... u have more financial liabilities with more bills to pay.......

Cool it...

I believe ghost04 didn't specify. I think he's refering to those students who without any income insistantly buys a bike. Ending up in debts and having someone else clearing the debt for him. Almost 8 years ago I met 1 such person and he almost got me into trouble. It was a lesson learnt through the hard way. Fortunately the bike shop AS Phoon really knew their priorities, stick to their principles and demanded with a discerning mind from the right person to pay up. And I will really have to applaud Ghost04 for raising this part up.

Do Not Tailgate Me!

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Why shouldn't a student own a bike? Some of us may not be rich but that doesn't mean that we are entirely dependent on our parents to support our lifestyle. :) I completely agree with Yongster.

Cool it...

I believe ghost04 didn't specify. I think he's refering to those students who without any income insistantly buys a bike. Ending up in debts and having someone else clearing the debt for him.

There are even working adults who fit your description too. If you ain't got the cash, it doesn't matter if you're a student or a 30-something worker, you better know what you're getting yourself into when you factor in the amount of money required to maintain a bike.

Current Rides:

FEB 07 -> NOV 08 [CBR 150]

AUG 08 -> AUG 12 [XJR400]

AUG 12 -> ??? [DUCATI MONSTER 696]

That's why i said ghost04 didn't specify. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course i've seen students who own a bike comfortably. Working adults scrimp for a bike or even a car, always having to find the next sucker to COI. But there's no point firing at ghost for his remarks we aren't even sure if he meant hostility. Anyway let's not deviate too far from the topic.

Discrimination against bikers in singapore is imminent because of the way pple categorize wealth icons.

Do Not Tailgate Me!

• 1 month later...
just imagine how singaporean's perception will change if ministers one day promote the use or 2-wheelers as a economical mode of transport.

On 2nd thought, i rather not. they'll just look stupid on a bike on tv.

On top of that, how many ministers here have a bike licence?

Do Not Tailgate Me!

LOL at that. Im a student, waiting for my turn to take my lic, although many people told me that it is dangerous, I know that the bike will help me in many ways. A poly student have adult transit fares!

Come on, if people think students shouldn't own bikes, then no one should. Bikes are an economical alternative for us.

Current ride:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4882/img0016c.jpg

2009: Kawasaki KRR 150 FV7809B

2009: Gilera DNA 180 FY4851G

2009: Honda NSR SP150 :cheeky: