SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists/

Keynes

Is there discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists in SG  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Is there discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists in SG

i heard a remark :" bike in singapore so cheap le still wanna ride in malaysia and pump"

most of the people who said that do not have bikes.

"so cheap ah? You buy one for me to see lor. pay the COI and petrol in SG lor. must pump Vpower only hor."

then see if they knn dare the still say that.

irregardless of 2 wheels or 4 wheels in SG, it is still quite a liability.. and sums to quite alot if u are talking about italy bikes. [some SPs n KRs are problematic also ah.]

LOL at that. Im a student, waiting for my turn to take my lic, although many people told me that it is dangerous, I know that the bike will help me in many ways. A poly student have adult transit fares!

Come on, if people think students shouldn't own bikes, then no one should. Bikes are an economical alternative for us.

true.. but not too expensive bike lar. within budget i think its fine.

There is no replacement for displacement, except for Ah Seng

:angel:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

i can't stand bicycles in the middle of the road travelling with the traffic.. sorry but i'm discriminating against bicycles cuz they are putting themselves and other bikers at risk..

[CENTER][IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t148/binkaz11/1_980549729l.jpg[/IMG] [I][B][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Wooo HoOOoOooooo~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

i can't stand bicycles in the middle of the road travelling with the traffic.. sorry but i'm discriminating against bicycles cuz they are putting themselves and other bikers at risk..

Upz to this thread.. Very sorry to say, but I'm really very DISCRIMINATING towards bicycles..

When I was a pedestrian on pathway I have to give way to all these idiots when they come ring ring... Now I'm a rider/driver and I still gotta to give way to these tyrants?? Who the F they think they are?? Spore government gotta really do something man..

Ages ago we din have such problem.. But after so many "foreign talent" comes our government gives them this priviledge and u see so many bicycles on the road.. After sometime government sees them as road hoggers and dangerous therefore move them up to the pavement to ENDANGER pedestrians' lives..

Then now as time pass they more and more happily can occupy both pathways and roads..

Balls to u man idiotic cyclists...

We the SAFE Riders, Pledged to ride SAFELY and STAY ALIVE!!!

Upz to this thread.. Very sorry to say, but I'm really very DISCRIMINATING towards bicycles..

When I was a pedestrian on pathway I have to give way to all these idiots when they come ring ring... Now I'm a rider/driver and I still gotta to give way to these tyrants?? Who the F they think they are?? Spore government gotta really do something man..

Ages ago we din have such problem.. But after so many "foreign talent" comes our government gives them this priviledge and u see so many bicycles on the road.. After sometime government sees them as road hoggers and dangerous therefore move them up to the pavement to ENDANGER pedestrians' lives..

Then now as time pass they more and more happily can occupy both pathways and roads..

Balls to u man idiotic cyclists...

take it easy la, its so easy to discriminate/ "bully" other road users perceived to be smaller than oneself. class 5 bully class 4 bully class 3 bully class 2 bully class 2A bully Class 2B bully bicycle bully pedestrian bully old and young pedestrian bully animals bully... ... ... :offtopic: :lol::lol:

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

Cyclists are entitled to use the road. They are actually not encouraged to use the pavements.

http://www.rideofsilence.org

Event: Ride of Silence Singapore

Date: 20th May 2009

Time: 7 p.m.

Venue: Merlion Park

Distance: 19 km (Merlion Park - City Hall - China Town - Holland Village - Orchard - Dohby Ghaut)

Join cyclists worldwide in a silent slow-paced ride (max. 12 mph/20 kph) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways.

Dress in white

Helmet madantory

For more information: [email protected]

http://www.rideofsilence.org

How much space can a bicycle take up on the road? Only minority strays away from the sides and disturbs the traffic a little, majority don't pose much problems. Just a step on the accelerator or opening the throttle will get you pass them easily. I don't see any issue.

The problem is with the mentality of Singaporeans. The culture of the citizens make it such that cars have the piority on the road since;

1. They are faster (than bicycles and commercial vehicles technically)

2. They are bigger (than motorbikes)

The worst reason is these people think they are big shots since they own a car. Add it on to the errant cabbies running on the road already, makes local roads such a challenge to ride, with or without engine.

Singaporeans need just a little more patience. Yet, the mentality of "He don't give way why should I do it first?" or "I give way he also won't appreciate" will always be in the souls of most road users. It's a far call from being a gracious society.

Personally, I cycle, ride and drive. It's disheartening from what I've observed.

Class 3 - 11 January 2006

Geely C.K. (SGW *** J) - 07 June 2007

Class 2B - 27 March 2008

Honda NSR SP (FS **** G) - 28 March 2008

http://www.werther.fr/goodies/hr/cbr_dessin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

yes we on the road still lack of the graciousness of giving way n patient.

everyone just rushing.... pace too electrifying

we as a ryder got a part to play, signal early, do proper lane change etc... would definitely portray a better image of the ryder.

bike is a machine without soul, rider would inject new life and character to this machine

Xiao Rou Yi Hao & "Colossal" 919

Sin Ming Editor got 1 DAY jailterm and $2000 fine for pillion death!

Rally Point: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5322898#post5322898

yes we on the road still lack of the graciousness of giving way n patient.

everyone just rushing.... pace too electrifying

we as a ryder got a part to play, signal early, do proper lane change etc... would definitely portray a better image of the ryder.

Agreed. Just witness a incident that a Spark135 just outside istana, squeezed thru traffic, when lights are red, all vehicles stopped, he is still squeezing thru and went past the stop line. The lights are RED, man. Putting this rider himself at extreme risk.:sian:

How time flies...

Big is certainly a warning but small can be downright scary! Never underestimate the effectiveness of small.

Beating the red light and getting himself knocked? What's the point? I agree we riders have a part to play in that sense.

Class 3 - 11 January 2006

Geely C.K. (SGW *** J) - 07 June 2007

Class 2B - 27 March 2008

Honda NSR SP (FS **** G) - 28 March 2008

http://www.werther.fr/goodies/hr/cbr_dessin.jpg

Beating the red light and getting himself knocked? What's the point? I agree we riders have a part to play in that sense.

Ya, man. Safety 1st ma... :sian: Even if he is in a hurry oso no excuse.

How time flies...

Big is certainly a warning but small can be downright scary! Never underestimate the effectiveness of small.

• 3 months later...

Mos Def, strongly agree with this thread, biggest problem with motorcycling is the image in sgp--people (more so those who do not ride, have no friends who ride, and whose family got no riders) easily associate motorcycle with:

- unruly (uncouth people better not to associate with)

- cannot afford car

- low class

- dangerous young punks

- list goes on,

but the biggest discrimination i feel is some malls parking do not allow motorcycles! what's worse, turn until going to the barrier already, then see the sign "no motorcycles allowed"---what is that supposed to mean? might as well "cars costing less than S$150k not allowed", that is my biggest beef! motorcycles are a well valid mode of transport too, why discriminated against?

Safety first, danger second

Land Transport System in this country is screwed up big time. Everything is wrong from the root. Money is the root of the problem,. I bet if motorcylces are to be more expensive than cars, there will definitely be more motorcycles on the roads in 10 years.

i think owning a bike is a good investment. meaning to have a form of transportation to maximise the time in order to exchange for more time and chances to earn money. Student own a bike to go sch and maybe work part time after sch. Me doing a office job and my bike send me to do my freelance job after tt. If those ppl who drive think tt by owning a car they feel tt they r greater than us. i guess they r wrong. Not much of them OWN a car . They take LOAN to buy a car. how much spare cash do they left with after paying for the car loan and petrol??? i believe MORE BIKER OWN THEIR OWN RIDE...2 cents comment. Lastly, I LOVE MY BIKE.

RIDE SAFE TODAY, FOR YOU CAN RIDE AGAIN TOMORROW.

You know everyday when i go to work, i see Falali, Vovo sometimes also Lumbo. But i am still a happi man and smile. WHY?

Because they stuck in massive traffic jam i can zoom past them blow blow throtttle back at them when they try to action haha! Gosh how can anyone not love bikes and their unique ability to lanesplit? Its like flying but on 2 wheels. Hehe. :)

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

I remember many years back after parking my cheap TA150 outside a church inside a little space, someone told me to park my bike elsewhere. There were numerous cars inside the church and parking was scarce. Then my gf told the church usher that he's discriminating us because we're riding. The usher jumped to the defence that he was merely worried that my hot exhaust will burn the kids. We were late and most people were already inside and that explains the lack of space. Kids running amok next to my puny bike with the exhaust still hot will be almost impossible. And it will be the same problem if I park it away from the church along the pavement elsewhere. But indeed, discrimination against bikers is a problem in Singapore. What can we do? We will give ourselves choices. We can drive and ride. When we ride, the people discriminate ourselves. Little did they know that the one they look down on also drives something that they want. So now... who's the @#$%?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

I remember many years back after parking my cheap TA150 outside a church inside a little space, someone told me to park my bike elsewhere. There were numerous cars inside the church and parking was scarce. Then my gf told the church usher that he's discriminating us because we're riding. The usher jumped to the defence that he was merely worried that my hot exhaust will burn the kids. We were late and most people were already inside and that explains the lack of space. Kids running amok next to my puny bike with the exhaust still hot will be almost impossible. And it will be the same problem if I park it away from the church along the pavement elsewhere. But indeed, discrimination against bikers is a problem in Singapore. What can we do? We will give ourselves choices. We can drive and ride. When we ride, the people discriminate ourselves. Little did they know that the one they look down on also drives something that they want. So now... who's the @#$%?

this one abit hard to say, kids in church are more playful and parents don't really watch over them assuming that the church areas are safe for them to run around freely.

So that may not be discrimination unless u park some deserted corner then that probably is discrimination :>

You know we don't see this kind of thing at the temple or the mosque. If got like big event like Deepavali or Muslim Friday prayers, wah can see they "stack" the bike and i never thought that it was even possible!

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

this one abit hard to say, kids in church are more playful and parents don't really watch over them assuming that the church areas are safe for them to run around freely. So that may not be discrimination unless u park some deserted corner then that probably is discrimination :>

The location was outside the church. There's this little space where I can park the bike without blocking the main pavement. Parking further down will mean I have to park along the pavement and chances of it hurting someone will be significantly increased.

You know we don't see this kind of thing at the temple or the mosque. If got like big event like Deepavali or Muslim Friday prayers, wah can see they "stack" the bike and i never thought that it was even possible!

This is because Churches are now more defined as the religion for the highly educated and well to do people. That explains the condescending attitude that course through the handling mentality of many Christians who fall in this category. Of course, there are exceptions.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

I got stopped by a new security guard at the entrance of my place a few months ago when I came back from riding on a Kawasaki W400.

Usually I will nod to the security guards and they will raise the barrier for me, we have less than 20 bikes out of 750+ units here so they (old birds) know I am the resident.

This new security guard, before I can lift up my full face helmet visor he asked:

“Delivery ah?”

I shook my head

“Contractor ah”

I shook my head again

He frowned and asked:

“Visitor ah?”

I lifted up my visor and told him nicely that I am the resident and he raised the barrier for me after some verification.

Obviously he is doing his job but the sequence of his probing questions to a biker reflected how the public view the motorcycles and motorcyclists.

I have seen many times the security guards raised the barrier for visitors driving Mar-Si-Lee and Bee Em without going through the proper procedures set by the management office.

This is discrimination :dot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/Phang/3-2.jpg

I got stopped by a new security guard at the entrance of my place a few months ago when I came back from riding on a Kawasaki W400.

Usually I will nod to the security guards and they will raise the barrier for me, we have less than 20 bikes out of 750+ units here so they (old birds) know I am the resident.

This new security guard, before I can lift up my full face helmet visor he asked:

“Delivery ah?”

I shook my head

“Contractor ah”

I shook my head again

He frowned and asked:

“Visitor ah?”

I lifted up my visor and told him nicely that I am the resident and he raised the barrier for me after some verification.

Obviously he is doing his job but the sequence of his probing questions to a biker reflected how the public view the motorcycles and motorcyclists.

I have seen many times the security guards raised the barrier for visitors driving Mar-Si-Lee and Bee Em without going through the proper procedures set by the management office.

This is discrimination :dot:

Oh i get that alot! When i ride my YBR to my friend's condo with my big big box. Security guard say, "Delivery ah?"

"Yah! Where this unit ah? Got thing to deliver. Urgent." I reply in the most apek tone i could do.

I just entertain them. After a while i realised that "delivery boy" got more access than "visitor".

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

• 2 months later...

Think of it this way guys!!

Why there is discrinination towards bikers is probably due to jealousy!!

They are jealous they can't ride a bicycle

They are jealous they can't be a pillion

They are jealous that their age old parents disallowed them to ride a bicycle.

They are just birds who dare to travel with their cage on!!

Why bother about them when i noe i reaches my destination faster than them and yet pay much less?

Think as if we are the smarter and superior intelligent human beings than those monkeys that view bikers as a 2nd rated citizen.

Change your perspective and it can change your life.

05.04 - 08.04: Honda Wave S (FV)

08.04 - 05.09: Honda Version S (FP)

09.08 - 08.10: Honda ESi 4dr (SBV)

04.11 - 02.12: Ducati 749 (FY)

05.09 - 07.14: Honda Wave X (FBD)

07.14 - 09.15: Yamaha Tmax 530 (FBH)

11.13 - 09.15: Honda City (SGA)

09.15 - Current: Honda Jazz (SKV)

Think of it this way guys!!

Why there is discrinination towards bikers is probably due to jealousy!!

They are jealous they can't ride a bicycle

They are jealous they can't be a pillion

They are jealous that their age old parents disallowed them to ride a bicycle.

They are just birds who dare to travel with their cage on!!

Why bother about them when i noe i reaches my destination faster than them and yet pay much less?

Think as if we are the smarter and superior intelligent human beings than those monkeys that view bikers as a 2nd rated citizen.

Change your perspective and it can change your life.

I agree with you, but you cant change ignorant people. And ignorant people cant see what you see. So we have to be wiser and cant be bother with ignorant people.

Bike is another means of transport, CEOs, ah peks all ride bikes. There's nothing to do with poverty or look down on. Mgt or people who discriminate bikes are basing on profile of riders majority, so those of you who made it rich, dont give up your bikes, continue riding and boycott those stupid establishments. Must really have a wave of bikers movement to change the whole nation sia.

Edited by cougar

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

嘴讲兰派爽! The World would be a better place if karma exists.