SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

hi all, my bike cannot start, so i bring to motor shop & he said the timing chain break liao & quote me $350...is it eXp???

I think you should get a second opinion before you continue... many things could cause the bike to not start... try bringing it to planet and let ah chong try it... who knows its as simple as a flat battery...

Timing chain snap ? On the move ?

If so, your bike is likely to suffered from a damage valve and/or piston.

When timing chain breaks, the cam will stop spinning and the piston could hit the open valves since there is no chain to regulate them.

As below is an illustrated example :D

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/camshaft-damage.jpg

Check what are the parts necessary to replace.

Most likely you need a good overhaul.

Good luck~

looks like the engine of hornet 250... poor piston...

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you should get a second opinion before you continue... many things could cause the bike to not start... try bringing it to planet and let ah chong try it... who knows its as simple as a flat battery...

looks like the engine of hornet 250... poor piston...

it was quoted by planet ah chong...

he said timing chain is inside the top engine..

Life Short Play Hardz | wtb TA200 less than 3 yr bike :lovestruck:

Hi PK,

I just gotten my bike today from the shop and was thinking of bringing it down to planet to do a check to make sure everything is all right since understand from the forum that they are quite good and reliable.

Do they entertain such request? If yes, anyone know what will be the cost like to do the inspection?

Overhaul: Piston+Ring+Block+Top gasket+EO+Plug - ($380) - (planet)

believe ur price COULD be from this category..

refer to typical prices for repairs and mod thread for other pricing.

good luck

'bikes are your sweet poison. despite knowing it would kill, you would die just to have a taste of it. '

Hi PK,

I just gotten my bike today from the shop and was thinking of bringing it down to planet to do a check to make sure everything is all right since understand from the forum that they are quite good and reliable.

Do they entertain such request? If yes, anyone know what will be the cost like to do the inspection?

it would cost you a packet of kopi ;-) just ask ah chong. Can help me test ride and see if my bike feels funny anot..

then he put on his cute green helmet and ZOOm Zoom

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

yea agree.. Now sh3rman out of NYp... a newly white phantom with racing strip took over my parking slot :(

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

awww... if he himself says so... I guess there isn't much of a choice...

Hi PK,

Thanks guys for the reply.. will pay him a visit real soon... anyway just realised that whenever i throttle abit harder, there are tsk tsk sound (like something loose) coming from the engine.. hopefully its nothing serious..

yes ah chong would be willing to try out your bike... as for the sounds... I don't know, since you may not have gotten yourself used to how a phantom sounds like... once it is fully restored, you will get used to the sound, and would be more or less able to tell that there is a problem when it makes a different sound... :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Haha! Thanks VidaK!

Btw, thinking of changing my old carplate too, any idea which shops specialize in carplate design?

:D

many thanks in advance!

not sure... anyway the license plate have to be standard... or else it would be considered illegal and tp in bad mood can stir trouble...

Illuminated license plates are the nicest ones I think... but I'm not too sure of where it should be done... maybe juzz wheels...

Hi All! :)

After reading through phantom user manual, I notice there is compartment at the right side of bike which can use to keep tool kit set. Therefore, I would like to know if any shop is selling it? Or has to buy the tools individually?

Thanks in advance! :)

-= Ride to Freedom, Freedom to Ride =-

Hi All! :)

After reading through phantom user manual, I notice there is compartment at the right side of bike which can use to keep tool kit set. Therefore, I would like to know if any shop is selling it? Or has to buy the tools individually?

Thanks in advance! :)

act-turly hor.. it should come with the bike de.. Bud-den....

maybe last owner took it out?? you need to go buy every single tools yourself. i dun think any shop have the whole set for purchasing..

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

No leh, not inside the bike, dont even know there is this compartment until reading the manual recently. :(

Even the steering lock key is not provided to me, and worst, spent 3k on a FU gear 5 chui bike, after purchased the bike for 1 month, piston chui also, and they charge me 200 for that, saying that bcuz i never top up EO. :(

Really kena tok by this bike shop and i told myself i will not visit this bike shop anymore.

Anyway this is 1 year plus ago liao..

If buying individually, think have to do many reseach liao, cuz so of the tools i nvr even hear b4 :p

-= Ride to Freedom, Freedom to Ride =-

No leh, not inside the bike, dont even know there is this compartment until reading the manual recently. :(

Even the steering lock key is not provided to me, and worst, spent 3k on a FU gear 5 chui bike, after purchased the bike for 1 month, piston chui also, and they charge me 200 for that, saying that bcuz i never top up EO. :(

Really kena tok by this bike shop and i told myself i will not visit this bike shop anymore.

Anyway this is 1 year plus ago liao..

If buying individually, think have to do many reseach liao, cuz so of the tools i nvr even hear b4 :p

3k for a FU plate phantom!? :faint: did i read wrongly or you typed wrongly?

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

3k for a FU plate phantom!? :faint: did i read wrongly or you typed wrongly?

I think he meant that he spent 3k on it... sounds like myself too... FU plate phantom... gear 5 chui'ed... engine failed... :dozed: