SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Valve Clearances - when to do?

heheh. ah chong say no need then just leave it la. how much did he quote you for the timing chain and the valve clearance?

He quote me $350 for valve clearence n timing chain if i cn rembr.. Hw much u did at planet?.. I wanna do mine coz my mileage is over 10k liao.. Wads e effect after doin valve clearence bro?.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He quote me $350 for valve clearence n timing chain if i cn rembr.. Hw much u did at planet?.. I wanna do mine coz my mileage is over 10k liao.. Wads e effect after doin valve clearence bro?.

i haven't do. lol. just checking the price only. 350 is a really good price man.

When touring, its usually the rider that give way first before the bike itself.

got box got tour.

When to do valve clearance?

Two options - one is just leave it if the engine sounds right. Can't guarantee max efficiency over a long period of time. Waiting for the valves to become noisy (obviously out of tolerance) may have risk of engine damage or running with lower than normal efficiency. If engine seems to lose fuel economy over a period of time this may be one of the causes.

Second is to imitate the manufacturer's warranty service schedule and do checks on the valves to keep them within spec, and this will keep the engine running at optimal efficiency. I'm currently creating such a "warranty service" procedure for myself, checking valves/timing chain every 10k km or so.

My Phantom was running on the same timing chain & tensioner for over 60,000kms and valve clearances more or less, never. Ran much better after doing VC. Was cheap and fast at Planet.

Hmm.. For u bro, hw much u did vc for u phantom at planet?.

he did it for 15 bucks.

February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200

March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400

Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

922913_10151689291867959_1156170833_n.jpg

s4 should be more ex. more valves, more cyclinder.

phantom only 1 cyclinder nia.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Vtec will jack up the cost too? Cuz need to remove camshaft to insert locking pin for the the Vtec valves. At least that's what I remembered reading for the VFR800 in Bike mag. That's just for checking though. If need to adjust, then won't make a diff anyway I figure.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac46/Tachnicolour/Completed%20works/combination_2.jpg

Convert your backlight COLOURs at : <CMO> Speedo Backlight colour CONVERSION by Tachnicolour

of course, i thought he riding non vtec version mah.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey do u recommend Gilera runner to do valve clearance as well? Currently mileage 43k. Single cylinder too.. Where is ur shop at??

yeah.. anyone knows if auto bikes have to do valve clearing too? im riding a nuovo 135.. mileage 40k ++ too..

My bike the meter went to reset one round already. Need to do valve clearance? :cheeky:

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

timing chain..

hey bros!

riding a XR125L uh. errm my bike's idling is abit unstable. and when i bend over to my engine i can hear this tapping sound like the sound where you tap your pen on your palm.

is this a valve issue? should i go do my valve clearance?

http://www.helpryans.com/images/banner1.gif
Stock is good...Choose your weapon wisely and enjoy it...you can have all the $$$$ to mod and in the end you can't make full use of it....

JIALAT. means must change timing chain?? like that i pok liao =(

Ur XR125L have no timing chain. It's a CG125 engine. Push rod design. This one is even easier to do valve clearance.

-Cool down engine overnite.

-make sure crank is at tdc. This one is tricky. U need to know what is goining on and what to look for

-Take off tank.

-open head cover.

-loosen tappet locknut.

-tighten tappet until pushrod cannot rotate in it's position. please don't use bill strength. gentle gradual strength will do

-loosen tappet gradually until pushrod can rotate freely. Lock tappet locking nut. double comfirm push rod can turn freely.

-Assemble everything back and test engine.

It should have a faint sound of tappet sound. Too quiet is danagerous.

OR, send in to any bike shop. All can do pushrod engine valve clearance one. This one can actually do without feeler gauge and still can get accurate clearance. Unlilke OHC chain drive. they need feeler guage. DOHC, shims and bucket design is worst. they need micrometer and have to take out the OHC.

Ur XR125L have no timing chain. It's a CG125 engine. Push rod design. This one is even easier to do valve clearance.

-Cool down engine overnite.

-make sure crank is at tdc. This one is tricky. U need to know what is goining on and what to look for

-Take off tank.

-open head cover.

-loosen tappet locknut.

-tighten tappet until pushrod cannot rotate in it's position. please don't use bill strength. gentle gradual strength will do

-loosen tappet gradually until pushrod can rotate freely. Lock tappet locking nut. double comfirm push rod can turn freely.

-Assemble everything back and test engine.

It should have a faint sound of tappet sound. Too quiet is danagerous.

OR, send in to any bike shop. All can do pushrod engine valve clearance one. This one can actually do without feeler gauge and still can get accurate clearance. Unlilke OHC chain drive. they need feeler guage. DOHC, shims and bucket design is worst. they need micrometer and have to take out the OHC.

ooo. like that not so bad. is it a must to cool the engine overnight? means i must leave the bike at the bike shop overnight? i don't think i'm competent enough to do valve clearance myself

ooo. like that not so bad. is it a must to cool the engine overnight? means i must leave the bike at the bike shop overnight? i don't think i'm competent enough to do valve clearance myself

It's better to cool overnight as the metal is fully contracted. That is the most accurate physical state when doing valve clearance.

No worries. Not everyone do their own valve clearance themselve. When in doubt, do send into bike shop. get a trusted bike shop to do.

• 3 weeks later...