SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Do you gear up when riding?

arthur_chan

Do you gear up when riding?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Do you gear up when riding?

• Yes
    • No

agree la. waterproof jacket is stuffy. but good in keeping warm during the cold night. sigh... still wondering what's the perfect jacket for me.

Mesh jacket is better in our weather but water proof jackets usually have thicker and more abrasive resistant material and they cost more. But water proof jackets are not totally water proof too (even a $500 Dainese)! Rain coat or inner liner definately works better. FYI, mesh jacket is not as cooling as you think also, but surely more cooling than fully water proof ones.

c26492.jpg

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i hope if i buy a mesh it will be as cooling as i expect it to be.. or at least dun sweat too much..

i dun think sg i will need to wear waterproof jacket to keep myself warm during the night.. sometimes i start to sweat when i reach traffic light!

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

i hope if i buy a mesh it will be as cooling as i expect it to be.. or at least dun sweat too much..

i dun think sg i will need to wear waterproof jacket to keep myself warm during the night.. sometimes i start to sweat when i reach traffic light!

A mesh jacket is more cooling than a windbreaker because a windbreaker does not let air through. Mesh is the next best thing to wearing nothing, as the perforations allow air through.

I tend to sweat a lot. But even in traffic jams, as long as I'm moving above 30km/h its cooling. Too many traffic light stops will cause me to heat up. The other exception is when i'm already sweating after a long afternoon walk to the bike. Then it might not be cooling enough. But then, after a long walk, even a car air con also will not cool u down immediately ya?

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

mesh jacket more cooling than those sweaters. will get chilly if you ride at night, so better wear a thicker shirt if you riding long hours at night. before i got my mesh jacket, was wearing sweaters.

body wont sweat for me, its always up in the head

http://i44.tinypic.com/54c3gg.gif

I wear a long sleeve coolmax material sweater under the riding jacket. The coolmax material will absorb the sweat on your skin very fast and keep your skin dry. When the bike is on the move, the flowing air from a mesh jacket evaporate the sweat and make you feel even cooler.

http://marenagroup.com/Portals/0/coolmax_comfort_system.gif

http://www.layers-outdoor.com/graphics/products/sneak_preview/mens_cool_long_t.jpg

You don’t need to buy a motorcycle specific coolmax sweater. I bought mine at Mustafa sports section, they have a selection of long sleeve coolmax sweaters from major sports apparel brands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/Phang/3-2.jpg

I bought the Dainese waterproof jacket thinking that I can forget about wearing raincoat forever haha. But seems like it isn't that waterproof in heavy rain and it's too hot. So decided to get a mesh instead.

But frankly speaking, I feel safer in the waterproof jacket because the material is much thicker and stronger. The CE approved protectors are harder too. Of course the jacket is dam heavy lah, especially when it is soaked.

I actually have some doubts on how much damage a mesh jacket can withstand before it breaks. Anyone has any experience *touch wood*?

c26492.jpg

A mesh jacket is more cooling than a windbreaker because a windbreaker does not let air through. Mesh is the next best thing to wearing nothing, as the perforations allow air through.

I tend to sweat a lot. But even in traffic jams, as long as I'm moving above 30km/h its cooling. Too many traffic light stops will cause me to heat up. The other exception is when i'm already sweating after a long afternoon walk to the bike. Then it might not be cooling enough. But then, after a long walk, even a car air con also will not cool u down immediately ya?

Just a comment:

Don't ever use ur windbreaker as a riding jacket, cause it doesn't offer any protection at all :) I see some bikers wearing long sleeve jackets the other round, thinking that it will protect them. It's as good as not wearing ...

c26492.jpg

I actually have some doubts on how much damage a mesh jacket can withstand before it breaks. Anyone has any experience *touch wood*?

Er... i actually did... :cry::cry:

I crashed on the NSH along Pagoh (you can read it at http://s4dreamer.blogspot.com/2008/08/sbf-melaka-famosa-trip-16-august-2008.html) with a mesh jacket on. And yes, although the mesh jacket was torn but the inner lining was untouched! And the skin on my upper body was literally untouched given the speed at which I crashed... :giddy:

So, the answer to your question is...

ANS: Although the jacket can't withstand the damage, but it will certainly protect your skin and body.

:pray: Of course, who wants to try that? ever again... or ever?

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

I crashed on the NSH along Pagoh (you can read it at http://s4dreamer.blogspot.com/2008/08/sbf-melaka-famosa-trip-16-august-2008.html) with a mesh jacket on. And yes, although the mesh jacket was torn but the inner lining was untouched! And the skin on my upper body was literally untouched given the speed at which I crashed... :giddy:

ANS: Although the jacket can't withstand the damage, but it will certainly protect your skin and body.

Well said. . .it's also wise to gear up urself.u never know wat will happen next,esp motorcyclist!!!

Thanks for sharing your story! If possible, please share with us the picutres of the damage on the jacket and helmet? Hope you have recovered by now :)

yep. was not wearing my amour jacket therefore i got injured at my hips, elbows, palms, knees and feet. was wearing jeans as well but still got injured.

Jeans doesn't really provide any protection but it is the most pratical choice for us. It is almost impossible to be wearing riding pants, unless you are heading for a pure riding session, and not going for work, meet up with friends or shopping.

c26492.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story! If possible, please share with us the picutres of the damage on the jacket and helmet? Hope you have recovered by now :)

Lets just say the helmet and jacket were written off. And, there aren't going to be any pics of them, but s4^dreamer's more or less recovered.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

Jeans doesn't really provide any protection but it is the most pratical choice for us. It is almost impossible to be wearing riding pants, unless you are heading for a pure riding session, and not going for work, meet up with friends or shopping.

And that's the reason why we wear knee guards! You can strap over your jeans and when you reach your destination, you can just take it off easily! Voila! :cheer:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

Er... I think Pplater has answered your question regarding me! :smile:

Thanks, I've recovered more or less... on the road... going places... here and there! Safely, of course... :pray:

any chance of posting a pic of the jacket? thanks :)

Grounded... :/

any chance of posting a pic of the jacket? thanks :)

Pplater has answered this question already...

Lets just say the helmet and jacket were written off. And, there aren't going to be any pics of them, but s4^dreamer's more or less recovered.

still jeans but i think this padded ones are pretty nice for daily usage

http://komine.ac/catalog/images/product_images/03-656_BK.jpg

nt too sure if motoworld bring in this model, but will be taking alook after 1st of march. hoepfully the little aid ahgong gave us can cover this :)

Since we are on the protection gears topic, does anyone know how well a offroad or motard helmet will do in highway crash compared to road helmets?

I do understand the peak of those helmets is to shade the riders from direct sunlight when doing jumps, but how about the more protruding chin guard serve as? Is that to prevent our chin from hitting the handlebar directly upon the impact of landing from jumps etc?

Or both protect just as well, solely just for marketing purposes, to gain more sales? Anyone care to share the knowledge? Thanks

Pplater has answered this question already...

sorry, my bad... didn't read carefully.

well... i guess that is the difference for any one on the road on a bike...

compare those who ride who have to just for a commute, i.e. to and from work, home etc

and those who ride for the pleasure and enjoyment of riding

although i am still a p-plate, and riding a "small bike" haha... whenever i go to and from work, home, out, etc it's always my flip up, jacket, gloves and at least jeans / pants (non armoured / padded though)... and i do get wierd looks and all. but scr*w those who look thinking we're "posers" with full gear irregardless of the size of machine you're on.

at the end of the day, if you do take a spill going at 100km/h on a 125cc, or a 400cc, or a 1300cc... it's still gonna be YOU getting hurt no matter who's fault it is...

that's what i keep doing, reminding myself everytime i go on the road... to tell myself that i got a good job and i wanna keep it by staying alive getting there in one peice and i have loved ones at home waiting for me when i get back on the bike at the end of the day to head home...

ride safe friends :)

Since we are on the protection gears topic, does anyone know how well a offroad or motard helmet will do in highway crash compared to road helmets?

I do understand the peak of those helmets is to shade the riders from direct sunlight when doing jumps, but how about the more protruding chin guard serve as? Is that to prevent our chin from hitting the handlebar directly upon the impact of landing from jumps etc?

Or both protect just as well, solely just for marketing purposes, to gain more sales? Anyone care to share the knowledge? Thanks

Wow! I think this is something interesting you have brought up!:thumb:

I think the reasons why a motocross helmet is shaped in this manner is because:

1. Sun visor: to protect from the sun

2. Chin bar: to give the rider extra protection while wearing goggles. NOTE: motocross helmets DO NOT have visors!It is there to provide some facial impact protection in addition to protection from flying dirt and debris.

In my opinion, I do think that the motocross helmets provides most of the same protective features of FF street helmets when properly combined with goggles.

But I think it's gonna be very noisy wearing such helmets when riding along NSH, because there will be more ambient wind noise! And further more, I think if you are riding a street bike and wearing a motocross helmet, you might look a little out of place with the bike... (That's just my personal option :smile:)

although i am still a p-plate, and riding a "small bike" haha... whenever i go to and from work, home, out, etc it's always my flip up, jacket, gloves and at least jeans / pants (non armoured / padded though)... and i do get wierd looks and all. but scr*w those who look thinking we're "posers" with full gear irregardless of the size of machine you're on.

at the end of the day, if you do take a spill going at 100km/h on a 125cc, or a 400cc, or a 1300cc... it's still gonna be YOU getting hurt no matter who's fault it is...

thats the right attutide. Back in my nsr p-plate days i also used to be pai sey also... but then falling from an nsr or a busa at 100km/h also no diff... it doesn't matter what ignorant people think.

that's what i keep doing, reminding myself everytime i go on the road... to tell myself that i got a good job and i wanna keep it by staying alive getting there in one peice and i have loved ones at home waiting for me when i get back on the bike at the end of the day to head home...

ride safe friends :)

Hey, I'm happy to hear that you think in this manner! When I was riding a Phantom, I was wearing my full gears and yes, it's the embarrassment that keeps people from wearing the gears.

Firstly, people think that we are posers.

Secondly, I would like to highlight is that no one likes to be the "highlight", you don't want to stand out...hence most people don't wear full gears for fear of embarrassment!

I hope that the mentality of more Singaporean riders will be transformed!

I've been putting on quite a lot of apparel since I was riding my scooter with P plates. I've never felt self conscious for putting on more gear, and hardly experienced anyone with derogatory comments about it.

It leads me to believe that others couldn't really care what you wear, but you think that they do. It's a case of being more self conscious about oneself than what others actually perceive.

To those who still think that putting on a full face helmet makes you look strange, I'd say that having your chin and teeth smashed on the floor will make you look worse than strange.

He who hesitates is lost!

In town, I just wear my flip-face helmet, boots, jeans, any T-shirt and the occasional short glove.

Safety non-withstanding, I can't imagine lugging my gear around town, shopping or otherwise, once I park the bike. Carrying my helmet around is already a pain in the ass.

Going up 2nd link for dinner, I'll do the same thing, but maybe with a jacket on.

Touring... full gear. I'll be doing upwards of 160 mostly, so that gear will come in handy.

Track... haha. Big DUH......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

cannot tahan riding wearing shirts and shorts at night man. tried once to pump petrol near my house. think i will find ice between my leg hairs if i ride in expressway lol. used to the heat i guess

thats the right attutide. Back in my nsr p-plate days i also used to be pai sey also... but then falling from an nsr or a busa at 100km/h also no diff... it doesn't matter what ignorant people think.

Hey, I'm happy to hear that you think in this manner! When I was riding a Phantom, I was wearing my full gears and yes, it's the embarrassment that keeps people from wearing the gears.

Firstly, people think that we are posers.

Secondly, I would like to highlight is that no one likes to be the "highlight", you don't want to stand out...hence most people don't wear full gears for fear of embarrassment!

I hope that the mentality of more Singaporean riders will be transformed!

thanks for the encouragement guys :) ... in fact if anyone recalls i did a self skid and broke my tail bone sliding and hitting the kerb, thats y i missed the last HOV session heh... the ambulance guys were pretty happy to see that i was kitted up and they didn't say it but can feel as if they would like to say that they wished every case they attended too was kitted up.

and of course other than the broken ass i didn't get anything else...

on another note. when i was in Perth last year for a biz trip. i can see all their fast food delivery people wearing proper gear and all with riding jackets with reflective strips, gloves etc...etc... don't you all think it would be a good idea if the govt could step in and start with the fast food companies to make it mandatory for them to provide the basic safety essentials? and they are zipping about the roads all the time so in a way would be good as ATGATT ambassadors?

i thought of writing into the ST forum for this... what do you all think?