SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

Originally posted by Navdeep86@Jul 29 2006, 12:41 PM

10 w 40 what does it mean the 10 and the 40 ?

Hmm if I'm not mistaken '10' w 40 is the Oil can stand Cold of 10 celcius

and for the '40' is the hot tempreture of 40...

Might not be right lah my teory only

can some body enlighten me :confused:

WhEn YoU rIdE a BiKe.. YoU FeEl ThE rUsH oF wInD aGaInSt YoUr HeLmEt...Its ThIs CoNtAcT oF eLeMeNtS tHaT I eNjOy..

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by [c]arbine@Jul 28 2006, 05:08 AM

pennzoil got motorcycle oil ?

have. i bot it... looks like you never used before. heh!

will let you guyz know..

i bot it for RM20

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2630373527_9614b93b66_o.jpg

no lah....dont teach people the wrong things...

read here if you want to find out more...

what we use is commonly known as multi grade oil...

the lower the number before W...the colder the oil can tahan when starting...

ie 10W can be pumped at a lower temperature than 20W...

the 2nd number is the the viscosity of the oil at 100 degree celcius...

so we dont need that 10W actually...its for temperate countries...

Don't mess with old farts. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.

Proud owner of an Opel Combo 1.7 DTI

Originally posted by krazyfist@Aug 6 2006, 02:34 AM

royal purple where to get? im using krr...what motor oil is good? esso gold? anyobdy noes where to get the cheapest?

esso gold ah boy cheapest as for royal purple go asia motor sport they got a few bottles left selling at 12 bucks each...

cheers

skazuz

Honda CRM 125-2004-2006

Yamaha X-1(Red)-2004-2009

Yamaha Spark 135-2006 june- 2007 jan

Yamaha Y125Z-2006-2008

Honda Super 4 spec 3(jan) 2007-2008 March

M.R.T -March 2008 till present

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some personal opinions on Maxima Ultra :

Just switched to Maxima Ultra 5W50 after using Maxima Extra 15W50 for the past year.

Initial fears of the oil being too thin for my bike (liquided cooled single cylinder) was dispelled as I noticed no increase in engine noise.... however if I was riding a bike with a air-cooled engine I would still think the Extra would be a better choice.

What I could tell was different was that the engine seems to be smoother during cruising speeds/RPMs on the expressway.. This was quite noticeable and I was pleasantly surprised. It was as if the bike found a few "lost" horsepower.

And you do get the feeling that the oil seems to take to higher revs better, which was reported by other users as well I think.

Still yet to monitor oil consumption and any oil degradation (which I will as the miles roll on) but so far think I'm a convert to the Maxima Ultra.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

See here.

:sweat:

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

I had finished running in at 2000 km with super four.

Changed engine oil from Shell SX to Maxima Extra 15-50

First impression-

This Maxima engine oil is more suited for track use. Why for track? Because from 0 to 80 km/h, it was not as smooth as i expected. But from 90 km/h onwards, the bike easily went fast. As for changing gears and finding neutral, i had no problem at all.

Conclusion-

Maxima is a good engine oil for high speed/rpm riding. But if you are a 80km/h and below rider, it might not be suitable for you. I m just sharing my experience using maxima.

That's funny.... was never a problem for me, whether low or high revs :confused:

Originally posted by RxzDelux@Apr 22 2006, 12:49 PM

Motul 5100 4T is SEMI-Synthetic. Motul 7100 4T is 100% FULLY-Synthetic. Cheers.:cheer:

Since we're talkin about Motul EO..Would it be okay for me to use the Motul7100 4t (Fully Syn) for KR? I'm currently using Esso Gold 4T..But am testing out others to compare..Currently trying to find Motul for my next EO (which is going to be pretty soon)..So 5100 or 7100? Which one should I use? And where can I get it?

Thanks..

09/07/2009 - Passed 2B TP (10th attempt)

I have tried to see things from your point of view..But no matter how hard I try..Or what I do..I just can't get my head that far up my butt..

Can try Gearoil instead for your bike. Think Motul, Maxima and Rockoil all has good quality ones.

:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

anyone knows what types are poorer grade of EO?

What re the harmful things tat they can do to our bikes?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5048/10304130.jpg

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

Part 1:

To simplify things, the oil is mainly needed to:

1) Lubricate: Prevent metal rubbing against metal in your engine (piston & cylinder block, wet clutches/gearboxes)

2) Trap the by-products produced during combustion (prime reason why yr oil turns black)

So poorer types of EO will not do the above so well, and/or breakdown rapidly after a short time and not do the above so well.

Anyway, the solutions will be:

1) Use a better EO, change EO at recommended intervals

2) Use poorer quality EO, change EO at much shorter intervals

or if you've got money to spend and kiasu:

3) Use a better EO, change EO at much shorter intervals

Part 2:

Oils can be generally split into 3 types:

Mineral oils: Basic 'dino' oils from the ground with no or little processing/addictives added. Usually very cheap.

Fully-synthetic: Made from scratch in a lab somewhere specially to cope with the demands, etc etc etc. Many types and compositions though.

Semi-synthetic: Mix the above two and you get the idea... may compromise on quality as compared to the fully but friendier to your wallet.

It all depends on riding style/habits/conditions, what oil you're using and what bike you're riding.

When in doubt refer to the owner's manual.... For me personally, 4~5000km is the regular interval for me.

:smile:

All you need is a spanner to open the engine oil drain nut, and a oil tray to catch the used oil. And maybe a pair of pilers to remove the engine oil cap to pour in new oil, that's it!

Can buy from hardware shops/DIY stores.... the EO drain nut is size 22 if I didn't rem wrongly.

And remember to dispose of the used oil responsibly. :smile: :goodluck:

Originally posted by william_liu@Sep 21 2006, 08:43 AM

All you need is a spanner to open the engine oil drain nut, and a oil tray to catch the used oil. And maybe a pair of pilers to remove the engine oil cap to pour in new oil, that's it!

Can buy from hardware shops/DIY stores.... the EO drain nut is size 22 if I didn't rem wrongly.

And remember to dispose of the used oil responsibly. :smile: :goodluck:

Thanks for the reply.

Where can i dispose the Engine Oil?

I'm currently riding a phantom ta200 requiring 1.3L each refill, am intending to get FullSynthetic. Any suggestions on which brands i should go for? Should i get the huge bottles or the 1L version?

I'm looking at the car showroom promotion at Autobacs (bukitbatok) they're having promotions at the moment, selling polishers and etc for a bargain. So i thought i might be able to go there get a full bottle and do my own EO.

Originally posted by byon@Sep 22 2006, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently riding a phantom ta200 requiring 1.3L each refill, am intending to get FullSynthetic. Any suggestions on which brands i should go for? Should i get the huge bottles or the 1L version?

I'm looking at the car showroom promotion at Autobacs (bukitbatok) they're having promotions at the moment, selling polishers and etc for a bargain. So i thought i might be able to go there get a full bottle and do my own EO.

Those look like they are for cars..Cars and motorcycles can use same EO meh?

09/07/2009 - Passed 2B TP (10th attempt)

I have tried to see things from your point of view..But no matter how hard I try..Or what I do..I just can't get my head that far up my butt..

Originally posted by byon@Sep 22 2006, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the reply.

A few points:

1) Your TA200 requires only 1 litre of Engine oil. Just check the oil level once a week if you're worried about oil consumption. Putting in an extra 0.3 litres is definitely not healthy for the engine.

2) Regarding disposal of used oil, you can pour it back into the empty oil bottle, take it to a motordiam you're more familiar with. Usually they'll have a big barrel for disposal of used oil and won't mind you pouring it in.

3) It is a subjective matter, but for your Phantom I will recommend you use a Motorcycle-specific oil, instead of the ones shown in your attached. Since Phantom's clutch shares the same oil as your engine, car oils may be detrimental and cause clutch-slippage in the worst case.

I had good experiences with Maxima Extra 15W-50 with my ex-bike Phantom previously, you may want to check out Mustafa if you're interested.

Hope this helps! :smile: