SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

is it worth to buy brand new bike ?

kmax

I see many people wants to buy brand new bike from 2B, 2A and class 2..

and most bought with loan plans and heavy interest rate..

but then i hardly see anyone ride until loan finish but shortly sell off again in Garage Sale..

so.. the question is "why people buy brand new bike.. when they can buy cheaper second (or third) hand."

2B.. people rush to buy RS125, R15, Derbi, .. even phantom, i once knew people pay 6k for brand new phantom and sell again 1 year later at less than half the price.

2A.. there are tons of super 4 in garage sale yet they go for brand new.. and sell again 1 year later.

Same for GSR..

2.. i hardly meet any rider who owns brand new bike for 10 years.

you can find many 1 year old bikes in garage sale.. selling at loss, even on machine price, let alone interest that added for loan period..

mostly on sports bikes.. which depreciates crazily yet people still go for them.

anyone can share some thoughts ? :shy:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/celticbiker/th_twins.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 3 brand new bikes and 3 pre-owned bikes.

The feeling of owning/riding brand new bikes beats the feeling of owning/riding pre-owned ones. Personally that's how i feel.

Bikes, like cars, are always considered depreciating assets. Maybe due to the COE quota cuts this month, we could probably sell off the cars for a profit. But bikes, nvr. So its not surprising to sell any bikes at a loss.

And why would someone have to ride a brand new bike for 10 years? What is the logic? COE says so?

So... someone who buys a HDB flat brand new has to live in it for 99 years too? Same analogy, no?

All boil down to personal preference. Have the $, buy brand new i suppose.

I've had 3 brand new bikes and 3 pre-owned bikes.

The feeling of owning/riding brand new bikes beats the feeling of owning/riding pre-owned ones. Personally that's how i feel.

Bikes, like cars, are always considered depreciating assets. Maybe due to the COE quota cuts this month, we could probably sell off the cars for a profit. But bikes, nvr. So its not surprising to sell any bikes at a loss.

And why would someone have to ride a brand new bike for 10 years? What is the logic? COE says so?

So... someone who buys a HDB flat brand new has to live in it for 99 years too? Same analogy, no?

All boil down to personal preference. Have the $, buy brand new i suppose.

appreciate your input.. but HDB prices are increasing.. :angel:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10296p.nsf/PressReleases/69702DEA27AB7E3E482576F80015E6F9?OpenDocument

what i am trying to say is just for this "feeling" which may last for a year or so and wasting $$$ on machines which you are going to sell off later ?

yes ofcuz "have $, do whatever you want"..

but does it worth it ?

take a look at harley sale thread

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215550

people selling 7~10k loss even for 1 year ride with such expensive "feeling"

:cheers:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/celticbiker/th_twins.jpg

if i foresee myself to be riding that bike for at least 3-4 years, it kinda make sense to get a brand new bike..

everything is new, and chances of breakdown are low within the first 2-3 years if maintenance is done periodically.

the sort of premium for getting a new bike over getting a 2nd hand bike sometimes will be able to offset any potential repairs that might be required for the 2nd hand bike. plus, nobody will know about the bike's history if the seller is not telling you everything. he/she might not know what the bike went thru if he/she is not the first owner!

the feeling of riding out a 000000km bike on the odo from bikeshop is very different from a 2nd hand bike.. half the time you can just whack the bugger out of the bike for a 2nd hand bike.. but you have to shower it with TLC for new bike, at least for the 1st few months.. :angel:

and also, old things dun go, new things cannot come.. :angel: :angel:

http://www.helpryans.com/images/banner1.gif
Stock is good...Choose your weapon wisely and enjoy it...you can have all the $$$$ to mod and in the end you can't make full use of it....

appreciate your input.. but HDB prices are increasing.. :angel:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10296p.nsf/PressReleases/69702DEA27AB7E3E482576F80015E6F9?OpenDocument

what i am trying to say is just for this "feeling" which may last for a year or so and wasting $$$ on machines which you are going to sell off later ?

yes ofcuz "have $, do whatever you want"..

but does it worth it ?

take a look at harley sale thread

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215550

people selling 7~10k loss even for 1 year ride with such expensive "feeling"

:cheers:

People selling bikes:

Prolly a sudden change of feeling ? or maybe he is an expat or a decent singaporean who is about to migrate ? Spending money on these type of priceless "feelings" that money can't buy sometimes,is what will make you a very satisfied man in the future.Put aside the needs and bring in your dreams that money can really buy,yes!!!!money is important in singapore.even toilets have a charge of 20cents per entry.But comon bro!! when it comes to hobbies ,you can't actually scrooge .Life happens only once ,MAke it happen Man !.......:angel:

http://media.techeblog.com/elephant//ul/5966-450x-ims_2.jpg

This Ain't No SaTellitE Navi..It FraGS You The 2mile RadIus

If can afford to buy brand new, why buy 2nd hand? :)

That's all to it, I guess.

Does it makes sense?

Well, if you intend to ride the bike for quite a while, then oh yes.

If you intend to ride for short term, then 2nd hand makes more sense. Provided that it does not break down every 2 weeks, and it does not have hidden 'secrets' which the previous owner didnt tell you. :)

Ultimately, whether it makes sense to me, does not matter. Cos I am not the one paying/ riding. :)

It's the same with everything, not just bikes.

Who wants to have a pre-owned ABC/XYZ when you can have a new one? Esp when you can afford it?

Life is short, spend $$$ when you can afford it. When you think it is worth it.

That's all to it.

'Worth' is totally different for everyone.

Have a pleasant day/ ride.

Hardcore

Planet Motorcycle Supporter:thumb:

Check out my signature. I for one is a rider who would be with my ride for many years especially when the bike has already been fully paid for. All my previous and current ride are 2nd hand bikes. I believe should I get a brand new bike, that bike will be with me for many years. Maybe will only sell it off 2 or 3 years before the COE expires...:)

First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature's rules biker-sans. Not mine...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1859/11superbikesmackdown11.jpg

The more we get together, the FASTER we'll be..

Mar 93 - Oct 94 : TZR125 FF5209R

Oct 94 - May 98 : GSX R400N FK3745K

May 98 - Oct 05 : GSX R400R FN3306D

Oct 05 - June 11 : '02 YZF R1 FBF3637M

June 11 - Feb 19 : '11 ZX10R

Feb 19 - ??????? : '14 S1000RR

I will NOT buy second hand things for mechanical and electrical stuffs. Especially those that cost thousand of dollars. UNLESS FROM SOMEONE I KNOW WELL.

Reason behind is that 99% of the Human Being are selfish by nature. We tend to protray the good things and keep the bad things to ourselves. During gathering, how often do you hear people saying....Ride starting to give problem already, time to let go before the problem start more problems? Of course, in good faith, we will not reprimand our friends off.

How often does those unlucky second hand bike owners keep going back to the motor diam to repair never ending problems?

Not every riders and drivers take good care of their ride. More than often, the seller will let go the ride only when problems start to surface.

How many of us will tell the buyers and motor diam of the actual problems during the business dealing? By telling the truth, the motor diam will take in your bike less money because he has to spend additional cost to repair the problem. Potential buyers may also put off with the GOING TO BE PROBLEMATIC bike. No one wants to spend money to buy problems and troubles.

Definitely there are VERY LUCKY Second hand bike owners. There are also very unlucky first hand bike owners. However if given no choices, i prefer to be the latter as i know my bike is still under warranty.

^_^

You've answered your own question: "Is it worth the cost?"

To some, it's worth the cost; to others, the money saved is more worthwhile.

Almost everything can be bought or sold. It's mostly a matter of the right price.

I'd rather buy used bikes where potential downside has already been factored into the lower price.

He who hesitates is lost!

very very nicely said contrarian. i have the same mentality about the new and used bike option. :D

Regards,

SAM :thumb: :cool:

May 10 - Apr 12 : Kawasaki KRR150 (Year 2000)

Oct 11 - Mar 13 : Honda CB400 Super 4 Spec 2 (Year 2002)

Jun 12 - Sep 13 : Piaggio Vespa PX15 (Year 1985)

Dec 12 - Apr 15 : Kawasaki ZX12R A1 (Year 2000)

Apr 13 - Dec 14 : Suzuki DRZ 400SM (Year 2013)

Apr 15 - Present : BMW S1000R (Year 2015)

Well, well, I am thinking maybe some of those who are selling, cannot actually afford the bikes in the first place? There are no lack of people who buy things without thinking, then when the monthly bills came up, they struggle and got to sell off.

Take a look at the Garage Sales, and you could easily find examples of bike loans dragging to years, even for a sub-10K bike.

I am your average joe here earning a average joe living, but if you need to scrimp and save, then take out the longest installment and lowest downpayment, then you shouldnt be riding in the first place.

It's everyone's choice here, but buying a bike, brand new or otherwise, is never about just the downpayment and the first instalment.

Cant afford, dont ride.

Hardcore

Planet Motorcycle Supporter:thumb:

A friend took out s4 spec 3. I advised him to save up $ and downpay more. But balls itchy, cannot tahan must try vtec. He just chiong and got his head chopped off. Calculated his monthly with interest and **** and it added up to 18K. S4 spec 3 market price was around 12k, first hand. 18K can buy Fazer man. Also another friend riding gilera runner, monthly close to $250. Haha, might as well ride class2 bike..

A friend took out s4 spec 3. I advised him to save up $ and downpay more. But balls itchy, cannot tahan must try vtec. He just chiong and got his head chopped off. Calculated his monthly with interest and **** and it added up to 18K. S4 spec 3 market price was around 12k, first hand. 18K can buy Fazer man. Also another friend riding gilera runner, monthly close to $250. Haha, might as well ride class2 bike..

nw thats buying on impulse...the steamy feeling is only temporary.then he'll regrets his decision for as long as he lives

Do not trouble trouble unless trouble troubles you

I feel that it all boils down to your affordability. That is something you've got to calculate and calculate and calculate. 'Nuff said.

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

You've answered your own question: "Is it worth the cost?"

To some, it's worth the cost; to others, the money saved is more worthwhile.

Almost everything can be bought or sold. It's mostly a matter of the right price.

I'd rather buy used bikes where potential downside has already been factored into the lower price.

same for me, i will buy 2nd hand bikes..

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

maybe, just maybe, owners are selling their new bike after a year riding them is because of the "feeling". New bikes's bolts and nuts are tighten to a specified number of torque.

Now, when you go servicing, eg. tighten ur chain, change tyre etc etc, the mechanics here tighten the nuts and bolts just using their feeling. They don't use torque wrench.

if you think tightening the nuts and bolts to a torque-specified number are ridiculous, look at the following video where kawasaki and honda's staffs are tightening nuts and bolts to a specified torque. they made torque-specified tightening process as a part of the assembly procedure.

Kawasaki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YI0EfI1VWo&feature=PlayList&p=480DE4344A55CF1F&playnext_from=PL&index=43

Honda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfQswhb8Qg&feature=PlayList&p=480DE4344A55CF1F&playnext_from=PL&index=42

Just my 2 cents.

btw, Kawasaki is the only manufacturer that warms up new bike before testing (read: run-in) new bikes. Yamaha, Honda and suzuki do not.

if you can see yourself keeping the bike for the next 10 years why not

anyway if nobody bought new bikes, where would all the 2nd hand bikes come from?

2.. i hardly meet any rider who owns brand new bike for 10 years.

i bet got some uncles out there who bought the bike brand new for transport and continue riding it until it's no longer economical to retain

(actually if you buy a brand new with that kind of mindset, it does make quite a lot of sense leh)

personally i will buy first hand if possible, cause i am the kind that like to keep the bike long term, esp. if it is my transport bike

Edited by swiftee

boring rider. with a boring bike.

too old to want to appear interesting anymore.